Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:50 pm 

heavymetalbanger1989 wrote:
What are some lesser known old skool death metal bands in the Deathkids/Broken Hope vein? ie very solid but sort of simplistic death metal. I know most of the big names so I'm looking for something not well known.

Lots of bands in this style, probably hundreds in the US alone in the early and mid 90s. These first 2 examples are definitely lesser-known than the others on my list because both never released anything beyond demo tapes. If you like Gutted then you should dig these:

Arius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuzF4tW9zD4

Body Bag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2dNkXgZc4

The following all released full albums and were pretty established in the underground in their heyday, but maybe there's something here that you haven't heard:

Morpheus Descends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zFiza86jk

Killing Addiction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCCa5lq90PM

Corpus Rottus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bF8-F1_4o

Judecca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlXf0YZ0Nk4

Exterminance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTsDrl3B87I

Tyrant Trooper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3x9V8navJg

I can recommend about 50 other demo-level bands just off the top of my head, but it probably wouldn't be easy finding their stuff. In fact some of the best shit isn't even on YouTube. Others are but the uploads sound like garbage compared to the original tapes (e.g. Zombified Preachers of Gore 1991 demo).

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:46 am 

Anyone know of anything else like Tribulation's Formulas of Death? I have been listening to that album constantly the past few days. I have heard Morbus Chron's Sweven but I didn't enjoy it as much. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Not an easy album to describe. Blackened death metal with progressive song structures I guess. I really like the riffs and bass work.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:45 pm 

I'm looking for OSDM from the land of Norway.
I am aware of Molested, Darkthrone first album and the modern band Obliteration.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:48 pm 

Cookiemonster16 wrote:
I am aware of Molested, Darkthrone first album and the modern band Obliteration.

First name that springs to mind besides those mentioned is Cadaver.

Oh and Fester

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:10 pm 

Cookiemonster16 wrote:

Myrkskog, Zyklon, Blood Red Throne (fairly big band), Aeternus (began as black metal but switched to death metal). Amputation (couple demos, before disbanding and going to Immortal), Old Funeral (another OSDM band before the members went to black metal), Thou Shalt Suffer (pre-Emperor), Diskord (pretty off the wall death metal. A lot of odd time sigs).

:edit: missed the OSDM part so Myrkskog, Blood Red Throne, Aeternus and Zyklon may not be what you are looking for.

Last edited by AcidWorm on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:47 pm 

Execration!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:25 am 

Seconding Execration, one of the best newer bands

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:44 pm 

WOW they r good.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:58 pm 

I've been searching for bands that are in the style such as: Krypts, older Incantation, Cruciamentum, Disma, and Dead Congregation. That heavy 'cavernous' sound yet melodic at the same time. A good mixture of both.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:01 pm 

titan_v wrote:
I've been searching for bands that are in the style such as: Krypts, older Incantation, Cruciamentum, Disma, and Dead Congregation. That heavy 'cavernous' sound yet melodic at the same time. A good mixture of both.

Most of the bands on the Dark Descent label should be up your alley.

Corpsessed is a good one for starters from that label.

Also Funebrarum and Ignovimous are good choices as well for this style.

Maybe stuff like Portal, Aevangelist (their first album is killer), and Antediluvian would work as well.

Most, if not all of these should be on the recommended bands under Incantation so I suggest using the similar artists feature as well for more.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:14 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
titan_v wrote:

Most of the bands on the Dark Descent label should be up your alley.

Corpsessed is a good one for starters from that label.

Also Funebrarum and Ignovimous are good choices as well for this style.

Maybe stuff like Portal, Aevangelist (their first album is killer), and Antediluvian would work as well.

Most, if not all of these should be on the recommended bands under Incantation so I suggest using the similar artists feature as well for more.

Thanks. I'll check out Portal and Funebrarum. I really should have looked under that tab first. Generally I overlook it.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:20 pm 

There are some good recommendations here. Putrevore is another band that may fit the bill.
Spoiler: show

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:06 am 

This was a recent discovery and I think it's excellent
Purulence

I wanted to share it but would also like to hear anything similar, especially in the style of the leads, and just generally Death Metal with excellent 'atmospheric' leads
like the one at 3 minutes

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:03 pm 

Can you guys rec me something like Traumaside - Force Fed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VecKEKHWGTM

WillyBearrrr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 pm 

I'm looking for some really spacey/atmospheric death metal. I'm not sure if what I have in my head actually exists but something really dark and weird, sort of like Mithras 'Worlds Beyond the Veil' because I really love the weird almost space rock passages in between the death metal tracks.
Or anything really atmospheric sounding in general, stuff like Portal I guess.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:42 pm 

If you enjoyed Mithras do check out it's sibling band Sarpanitum. As expected they sport the same ethereal, spacey quality. Their new album just came out this year and it's a blast. You might also enjoy Beyond Terror, Beyond Grace's 'Nadir' album.

WillyBearrrr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:17 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
If you enjoyed Mithras do check out it's sibling band Sarpanitum. As expected they sport the same ethereal, spacey quality. Their new album just came out this year and it's a blast. You might also enjoy Beyond Terror, Beyond Grace's 'Nadir' album.

I'm really enjoying Beyond Terror Beyond Grace. I'm about to check out Sarpanitum, thanks a lot

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:33 pm 

Ulcerate, everything but their first album, which is great, but more chaotic or maybe frantic than spacey.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:08 pm 

If you don't mind a really shiny, modern production, check out Colosso's Abrasive Peace. I don't often listen to modern tech-ish death metal stuff but when I do, I prefer that sort of robotic spacey sound and this band scratches that itch pretty damn well. They've also got some ripping riffs to go along with their swirling space robot sounds, which certainly helps the cause.

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:53 pm 

I've been trying to get into death metal lately and I've been having trouble finding stuff that doesn't sound like a chainsaw wielding bear.
Right now the only DM I can honestly say I like is Death (Like Human and Symbolic) because its fairly thrashy and melodic than, say, Cannibal Corpse.

Any Suggestions?

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:56 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:
I've been trying to get into death metal lately and I've been having trouble finding stuff that doesn't sound like a chainsaw wielding bear.
Right now the only DM I can honestly say I like is Death (Like Human and Symbolic) because its fairly thrashy and melodic than, say, Cannibal Corpse.

Any Suggestions?

Here's some death metal in the old Swedish style that you may like. Lots of cool riffs and some melodies in there. I just ran across them earlier tonight.

Like your reviews?

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:01 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Any Suggestions?

Hieronymus Bosch? Everyone likes Hieronymus Bosch!

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:44 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Any Suggestions?

None of these are remotely similar to Human or Symbolic, but IMO they're all good starting points for someone new to the genre (and all are pretty standard recommendations in this thread, nothing very obscure here):

Adramelech - Psychostasia (Finnish death with eerie creeping melodies): "The Book of the Worm"
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry (Excellent and offensive melodic death from the US): "Quelling the Simian Surge"
The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld (Progressive, gorgeous Mexican death metal): "Cosmic Landscapes of Sorrow"
Decapitated - Winds of Creation (Technical death from Poland, killer riffs that embed themselves in your brain forever): "The First Damned"
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness (Probably the most obvious recommendation of all time, but if you haven't heard it please do yourself a favor. Classic early death/thrash): "Maze of Torment"
Thanatos - Emerging from the Netherworld (Awesome death/thrash from Holland): "Internal Deceit"

Hopefully some of this stuff will work for you. All of these are a pretty far cry from the Cannibal Corpse end of the spectrum, with the exception of Decapitated, but that album is sick enough you might like it anyway.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:44 pm 

Death Before Dying:
http://youtu.be/3qdJTwejiIg

Imagine if Corpsegrinder replaced Barnes in SFU.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Any Suggestions?

Possessed - Seven Churches

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:09 pm 

I remember when I first started listening to death metal around 2004. It took me a little while to get accustomed to it because of the growled vocals. I had previously been listening to thrash, heavy and power metal. Obviously bands like Slayer and Possessed make the transition to death metal easier. When I first started though I was listening to Opeth (Orchid to Blackwater Park). Nile, Behemoth, Morbid Angel, Suffocation and Origin are some of the other bands that I first started with, along with Death which was already mentioned. Also if you like Death check out the Canadian tech-death outfit Martyr.

Pimeyden Ruhtinas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Any Suggestions?

Midvinterblot by Unleashed is kinda catchy and accessible death metal album.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:05 pm 

Anyone have a list of technical melodic death metal like Sunless Rise, MyGrain, or like a melodic Blotted Science or Carcariass maybe?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:03 am 

MyGrain sounds like the name of a failed web 1.0 social networking site for barley farmers.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:24 pm 

Nhor wrote:
Anyone have a list of technical melodic death metal like Sunless Rise, MyGrain, or like a melodic Blotted Science or Carcariass maybe?

I would hardly call MyGrain technical melodic death metal. They're just typical not-very-melodic melodic death metal.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:54 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Anyone know of anything else like Tribulation's Formulas of Death? I have been listening to that album constantly the past few days. I have heard Morbus Chron's Sweven but I didn't enjoy it as much. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Not an easy album to describe. Blackened death metal with progressive song structures I guess. I really like the riffs and bass work.

Anyone?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:48 am 

There's just nothing else like it my man. Believe me, I've looked. There are a few bands who are doing similarly abstract takes on combining black and death metal (Emptiness' Nothing but the Whole, for example) but NONE of them have that...what do I call it...cheekiness? None of them have that little bit of Mercyful Fate in their blood that makes Formulas so great. That is a powerful album and I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again. Not even on their next release.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:45 am 

Indecency wrote:
Nhor wrote:

I would hardly call MyGrain technical melodic death metal. They're just typical not-very-melodic melodic death metal.

What, I think they're really melodic...What's your idea of technical anyway?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:56 am 

Allegaeon and Anata come to mind I n reference to your first question but you probably know them already.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:23 am 

Thanks but yeah I know them, taking a break from advanced search megalists for the moment

Gorz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:19 am 

Can anyone please suggest me some old school death bands in the style of early Morbid Angel? (first 3 albums).
I already know of the mighty Mortem.

Gorz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:34 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:

Anyone?

I'd recommend Necrovation but You already may know them.

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:41 pm 

Gorz wrote:
Can anyone please suggest me some old school death bands in the style of early Morbid Angel? (first 3 albums).
I already know of the mighty Mortem.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:03 pm 

@Gorz: Check out Degial's Death's Striking Wings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUTLu9382jI
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Gorz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:25 am 

Thanks alot, inhumanist and Drowned. those sound like what I was looking for. I just discovered Mithras and they sound promising as well.
any more recs are appreciated.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 289  Next