Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:17 pm 

^ The gentleman above is on point. The only other things I can think think of are Khariot, Ulcerate and maybe Azure Emote and Unholy Matrimony.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:53 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
What are some decent death metal albums that have the same level of utter destruction like None So Vile, or the nearly wacky sounding extremeness of Gorguts' Obscura?

It's not stylistically similar to None So Vile or Obscura, but if you're looking for extreme destruction, Angelcorpse's Exterminate is relentlessly intense black/death.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:43 pm 

Anyone recommend some death and/or thrash albums with lots of melody and leads like the first few Arch Enemy albums and Deceased?

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:00 am 

These might be too obvious, but Necrophagia springs to mind as a companion to Deceased. Season of the Dead and White Worm Cathedral are their albums that spring to mind in particular. The new Angelus Apatrida is also some good melodic thrash though it's not especially similar to Arch Enemy or Deceased.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:01 am 

Indecency wrote:
Can anyone find me Italian-style technical death metal? Looking for bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse, Hour of Penance, Ade, Hideous Divinity, Blood Truth, Murder Made God, Eyeconoclast, Antropofagus.

Also, Polish-style blackened death metal like Hate, late Behemoth, Azarath, Crionics.

Even some death thrash in the vein of HateSphere, Dew-Scented, Impious, Vader.

Try Anthem, and Gortal from Poland. Gortal reminds me of Immolation more than anything and Anthem is fairly solid.

And even though they are German you should check out Gilgamesh. Blackened death that have similarities with Behemoth.

For Italian stuff check out Demiurgon. Released their debut this year and it is more Italian tech death.

Last edited by AcidWorm on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:19 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Anyone recommend some death and/or thrash albums with lots of melody and leads like the first few Arch Enemy albums and Deceased?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:46 pm 

Indecency, I also discovered this Polish tech death band today. I think you would like it. Only listened halfway through so far but this could potentially be one of the best death metal albums of the year for me. Tech death is a genre I am very picky about. I love oldschool tech death but I do not like stuff like Brain Drill or Wormed with the overly wanky riffs and not enough focus on headbangable riffs and structure. So for me to like this one says a lot. Also a big fan of Lost Soul from Poland.

More Italian tech death someone introduced me to today.

I also forgot Kingdom that someone reminded me of. More death metal from Poland that has a very blackened 'Polish' feel.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=37&v=4ZBUaebvjUI[/youtube]

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:00 pm 

Gortal and Anthem both aren't quite what I was expecting, but they're not too bad nonetheless. Gilgamesh fits the rec nicely, only gripe with them is it wasn't as blasty as I wanted but it was still awesome. Demiurgon definitely fits the Italian death sound, they're a good find as well.

Sothoth is really good as well, even though they don't fit the Polish blackened death niche I was looking for. Dire Necro Cerberus as well.. Not quite fitting the rec but they're still a band that I enjoyed and will check out. Didn't like Kingdom at all though. Aside from the composition itself, the production is definitely a repellent for me.

Thanks for all the recs guys, you've managed to actually find me stuff when I had doubts that it existed.

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:59 pm 

need some stuff which would sound like this

1:43 -1:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjofgnK ... O&index=97

dunno if its the right place to ask since I rarely like death stuff but lets see.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:43 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Gilgamesh fits the rec nicely, only gripe with them is it wasn't as blasty as I wanted but it was still awesome.

Try this one. More blasty.

dawid9706
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm 

Guys I uploaded some Polish Death/Thrash Metal Demos ,check it out!

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Indecency wrote:
Gilgamesh fits the rec nicely, only gripe with them is it wasn't as blasty as I wanted but it was still awesome.

Try this one. More blasty.

YEEES, that was awesome. Just as blasty as I wanted, and the production is good enough.

Part of what makes Polish blackened death so good is the frequent use of the phrygiant dominant and/or double harmonic scales. It just makes it sound so dark and evil.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:43 am 

Hey everyone. I'm a little unsure whether my request suits this thread since it encompasses grindcore as well. Basically I'm looking for a variant of modern technical death metal that includes both experimental and grindcore elements. However, ones that are grind-influenced alone is perfectly acceptable as well. I AM NOT looking for bands of the "noodling" variety, typically exemplified by most of the Unique Leader roster. Basically I want some serious mind-fuck material. You know, the really far-out stuff that Relapse used to peddle and Willowtip continues to deliver. Some reference points include:

Cephalic Carnage
Fuck the Facts
Maruta
Crowpath
Discordance Axis
Gigan
!T.O.O.H.!
Gridlink
Pyrrhon
Antigama
Hivesmasher
Oblivionized
Malignancy
Noisear
Burnt by the Sun
Psychofagist
Cattle Decapitation
The Red Chord

Any takers? I'm a sucker for this type of stuff.

charles_ryder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:42 pm 

Hi everybody! Please recommend me the bands similar with early Obituary.

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 pm 

It will more and more heavily, for fans of Incantation

Racial_Sweepstakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:52 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a little unsure whether my request suits this thread since it encompasses grindcore as well. Basically I'm looking for a variant of modern technical death metal that includes both experimental and grindcore elements. However, ones that are grind-influenced alone is perfectly acceptable as well. I AM NOT looking for bands of the "noodling" variety, typically exemplified by most of the Unique Leader roster. Basically I want some serious mind-fuck material. You know, the really far-out stuff that Relapse used to peddle and Willowtip continues to deliver. Some reference points include:

Cephalic Carnage
Fuck the Facts
Maruta
Crowpath
Discordance Axis
Gigan
!T.O.O.H.!
Gridlink
Pyrrhon
Antigama
Hivesmasher
Oblivionized
Malignancy
Noisear
Burnt by the Sun
Psychofagist
Cattle Decapitation
The Red Chord

I think Aposepsy and Euphegenia (a Guttural Secrete sideproject) might fit your criteria.

Racial_Sweepstakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:20 am 

I'm looking for groovy, pinch harmonic-abusing technical brutal death metal similar to the following:

Thanks!

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:02 pm 

I've really been getting into an album called Nefarious Campaign by a band called Burning at the Stake. They have a thick meaty guitar tone with very consonant death metal melodies interspersed with an occasional sophisticated lighter melody and/or tasty lead. Another album that somewhat employs the same structure is Peace Was Never An Option by Man Must Die, especially the song The Hell I Fear. Are there any death or tech-death (not melo-death) albums that have the same kind of structure with good production and good melodies mixed with sophisticated melodic segments?

Here are a couple of Burning at the Stake songs followed by the Man Must Die song mentioned above to show what I'm talking about.

Burning at the Stake - Limit Forward Existence

Burning at the Stake - Death is a Chance Taken Within

Man Must Die - The Hell I Fear

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:38 pm 

Racial_Sweepstakes wrote:
I think Aposepsy and Euphegenia (a Guttural Secrete sideproject) might fit your criteria.

Thanks! That Aposepsy album has some of the busiest and chaotic riffing I've ever heard. Definitely barking in the right direction.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:23 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a little unsure whether my request suits this thread since it encompasses grindcore as well. Basically I'm looking for a variant of modern technical death metal that includes both experimental and grindcore elements. However, ones that are grind-influenced alone is perfectly acceptable as well. I AM NOT looking for bands of the "noodling" variety, typically exemplified by most of the Unique Leader roster. Basically I want some serious mind-fuck material. You know, the really far-out stuff that Relapse used to peddle and Willowtip continues to deliver. Some reference points include

Looking at that list you might already these these:

Virulence - A conflict scenario
Odd jazzy death/grind kinda early Cephalic Carnage/DEP/Devourment mix, bit messy and lo-fi production but enjoyable. Couple of these guys were also in a pretty cool grind/bdm act called Incarrion which were quite interesting and may be worth a look.

Terminally Your Aborted Ghost - Slowly peeling the flesh from the inside of a folded hand
Weird grindy brutal death metal that reminds me of Circle of Dead Children if they were less grindy and a bit more odd. Their Inanimately Soundless ep is a bit less strange but would probably be worth checking out as well.

These could also be worth a shot: Artificial Brain, Copremesis, Andromorphus Rexalia and maybe some of the chaotic Columbian style of bdm like Amputated Genitals and Internal Suffering.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:06 pm 

Thanks for the recs dude. TYAG and Virulence are very cool sounding bands indeed. I suppose I could liken them to a grindier version of Biolich, or perhaps Dripping even. I really wish this style of death/grind or brutal DM are in vogue nowadays. The Czech grind scene is the only one I can think of that still produce this type of mind-bending chaos. That and maybe some bands from Russia like the aforementioned Aposepsy and & 7 H. Target.

Racial_Sweepstakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm 

Rippingheadache,

Maybe you already know these, but here are a couple more suggestions:

Embryonic Devourment

Specifically Fear of Reality Exceeds Fantasy and its followup Vivid Interpretations of the Void.

Corpulate

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:21 pm 

Much appreesh, Racial_Sweepstakes. I'm already familiar with them but they're nevertheless awesome. I really need to pick up that Corpulate album one day and complete my 'great albums with Tony Koehl art' collection

Also, just to expand on your request you might want to check out Cranial Incisored's 'Rebuild: The Unfinished Interpretation of Irrational Behavior'. Definitely more than a few nods to Malignancy.

You might also like:

Mindly Rotten
early Ancient Necropsy
Mental Apraxia
Animals Killing People

GuyOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:31 pm 

Really gotten into the new Kataklysm album and I think it's even better than their last album. Anything similar to this but preferably with solos?

Also I've been listening to Insomnium and Mors Principium Est a lot the last few years would also love to have some recommendations similar to these bands (aware of Black Sun Aeon, Routasielu, Wolfheart, and Omnium Gatherum (one of my fave bands)).

Thanks guys!

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:07 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Cephalic Carnage
Fuck the Facts
Maruta
Crowpath
Discordance Axis
Gigan
!T.O.O.H.!
Gridlink
Pyrrhon
Antigama
Hivesmasher
Oblivionized
Malignancy
Noisear
Burnt by the Sun
Psychofagist
Cattle Decapitation
The Red Chord

How modern and how death are we talking? I'm assuming since you listed Burnt by the Sun you're familiar with (or open to) stuff like Gaza?

There's a couple of old things in the Willowtip vaults that might appeal to you.
https://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/tw ... -the-idols [technical death]
https://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/imperialism [technical grind/death]
https://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/pr ... ard-living [technical grind]

Plus the related Rochester scene:
https://handshakeinc.bandcamp.com/album ... d-and-burn [technical death]
https://blurring.bandcamp.com/ [grind]

None of this is too mindblowing though. Maybe something more like
https://pissvortex.bandcamp.com/ [Gorguts-esque grind]
http://priapusgrind.com/music [Maruta grind]
https://idylls.bandcamp.com [mathy grind - both album are good, but the first one's more immediate]
https://okazakideath.bandcamp.com/releases [mathy technical death]

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:40 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a little unsure whether my request suits this thread since it encompasses grindcore as well. Basically I'm looking for a variant of modern technical death metal that includes both experimental and grindcore elements. However, ones that are grind-influenced alone is perfectly acceptable as well. I AM NOT looking for bands of the "noodling" variety, typically exemplified by most of the Unique Leader roster. Basically I want some serious mind-fuck material. You know, the really far-out stuff that Relapse used to peddle and Willowtip continues to deliver.

For fucked up space grind that kicks ass check out Dripping - Disintegration of Thought Patterns During a Synthetic Mind Traveling Bliss

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:40 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Thanks for the recs dude. TYAG and Virulence are very cool sounding bands indeed. I suppose I could liken them to a grindier version of Biolich, or perhaps Dripping even. I really wish this style of death/grind or brutal DM are in vogue nowadays. The Czech grind scene is the only one I can think of that still produce this type of mind-bending chaos. That and maybe some bands from Russia like the aforementioned Aposepsy and & 7 H. Target.

Glad you liked, stupid I would have suggested 7 H. Target as they would have been a good fit given your request. You might also get a kick out of these:

Cyclonus - Only have a 3 track demo but its some interesting noisy bdm and its free to download. [http://cyclonus.bandcamp.com/]
Humanity Falls - Interesting Death/Grind featuring ex-Gigan and Animals Killing People people. [https://humanityfalls.bandcamp.com/]

And you probably know these two more grind-oriented ones but if not check out Flourishing and A Million Dead Birds Laughing.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Cephalic Carnage
Fuck the Facts
Maruta
Crowpath
Discordance Axis
Gigan
!T.O.O.H.!
Gridlink
Pyrrhon
Antigama
Hivesmasher
Oblivionized
Malignancy
Noisear
Burnt by the Sun
Psychofagist
Cattle Decapitation
The Red Chord

A Million Dead Birds Laughing? Maybe? All my other ideas (and many, many more I don't even know) were mentioned already.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:35 am 

Is there any old school death metal band (older band, no revival stuff, please) that uses Burzum-like arpeggios?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:22 am 

What are some good melodic death metal albums/bands for beginners? Even 'regular' death metal with some sense of melody would be cool too.

Kaiser_19
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:33 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:
What are some good melodic death metal albums/bands for beginners? Even 'regular' death metal with some sense of melody would be cool too.

Melodeath:

Soilwork ( Steelbath Suicide, The Chainheart Machine, A predator's portrait ). They sold out later but their first 3 albums are gold melodeath. Natural Born Chaos is nice but not as melodeath as the previous stuff.
In Flames - (Subterranean, The Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony ) A classic stuff by a once great band.
Dark Tranquillity - Almost everything, but i would go on The mind's I, Damage Done, Character and We are the Void. Great band with a solid career.
Kalmah - Seventh Swamphony, Swampsong, The Black Waltz, they will return, 12 Gauge. This band is incredible. A bit like early CoB but better!
At the Gates - Slaughter of the soul. Considered as classic too. It's nice but somewhat overrated.
Carcass - Heartwork and Necroticism. ( The first is killer and classic melodeath. A must. The second has much less melody but it's great too.
Hypocrisy - Abducted, The final Chapter and Hypocrisy. This trilogy is a must too
Arch Enemy - Black Earth, Burning Bridges and Wages of sin.
Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance, Insidious. All their stuff is great tough. Not as big and known as the others but a great band.
Eucharist - Mirrorworld . Underrated Gem
Sacrilege - Lost in the beauty you slay, the fifth season
Immortal souls - Under the northern sky, wintereich

Now some death metal with sense of melody

Dismember - Like an Everflowing stream, Death metal, where ironcrosses grow
Evocation - Tales from the tomb, Apocalyptic
Benediction - Trascend the rubicon
Fleshcrawl - Structures of Death, Made of Flesh

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:56 am 

I'm looking for bands with similar off the wall riffing like Hellwitch or the groovy change ups and not-too-extreme sound of Obliveon. I don't want tech-y death thrash like Invocator or Sadus. While both of those bands are great they lack a certain atmosphere to their music that I don't hear in the above mentioned. Particularly Hellwitch.

Any help?

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:24 am 

UnholyAnalDeathWorship wrote:
I'm looking for bands with similar off the wall riffing like Hellwitch or the groovy change ups and not-too-extreme sound of Obliveon. I don't want tech-y death thrash like Invocator or Sadus. While both of those bands are great they lack a certain atmosphere to their music that I don't hear in the above mentioned. Particularly Hellwitch.

Any help?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:31 pm 

I'm looking for some good albums from this year. Anything? It seems pretty sparse so far.

I've enjoyed:

Katechon
Obscure Infinity
Sarpanitum
Sulphur Aeon
Tribulation
Undead
Vorum
Gouge

don't care for:

Entrails
House of Atreus
Kronos
Thulcandra
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:27 am 

Interested in 2015 recs as well.

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:55 pm 

Pissgrave and Adversarial recently put out two of my favourite albums this year.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:53 pm 

An absolute winner so far is Sarpanitum. That's just majestic death metal.

Apart from that one, the latest Sickening Horror caught me by surprise. They managed to pull off a great prog DM record (so only recommended to folks who don't want their DM to be only brutal and forceful; this one's all about finesse and mood). Other good records were released by Mefitic, Embrional, Fragile Existence, Krisiun (probably their best so far imo), Dystrophy and Oshiego (really liked this one though it's slightly below Sarpanitum and Sickening Horror, but an old school feast no doubt). I'm not entirely sold on Skinless' latest, but the album is alright.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 pm 

One of my picks for death metal album of the year so far.

Also, this is my top grindcore album.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm 

For 2015 recs, dark sermon has a new album coming out tomorrow I think, they've got a full stream up of the album right now and it sounds stellar so far. Like a slightly more modern sounding Behemoth with some blackened (Watain might be a good comparison) moments thrown in.
http://lambgoat.com/features/267/Dark-S ... bum-stream

Racial_Sweepstakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:25 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Much appreesh, Racial_Sweepstakes. I'm already familiar with them but they're nevertheless awesome. I really need to pick up that Corpulate album one day and complete my 'great albums with Tony Koehl art' collection

Also, just to expand on your request you might want to check out Cranial Incisored's 'Rebuild: The Unfinished Interpretation of Irrational Behavior'. Definitely more than a few nods to Malignancy.

Thanks for the recommendations. Is most of their "Rebuild" album similar to the song below? I can get into this sort of thing, but I'm not as into the mathy jazzcore type thing they're doing on more recent releases.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 290  Next