Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:47 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Molested - atmospheric and folky, yet riffs and brutality. I randomly recommend this band to anyone in this thread who hasn't heard it yet.

Decided to give it a spin due to my recent mindset regarding music. I knew the name was familiar, I found about it when researching Borknagar, but immediately decided to ignore it because I thought it would be another generic death metal band. No such thing, it fits my request as well: atmosphere, melody and curb-stomps living beings. Amazing.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:52 pm 

So I seem to have started to like death metal a bit (aside of always liking Amon Amarth and Death)

Now I like this stuff:

https://youtu.be/tw_0WZZOkSc
https://youtu.be/Pz0dS5kuRy0
https://youtu.be/Dw223-FK-Fw
https://youtu.be/FXVN2Nj6sF8 (I like the live version more, the suggested songs from the same album are epic as well)

So yeah what's close to this?
No melodeath please

I know of most of the stuff one would suggest around on metal forums like autopsy, deicide, atheist, or whatever, that most stuff doesn't really appeal to me so try to be careful with the pick please xd

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:40 pm 

projectfear22 wrote:
https://youtu.be/tw_0WZZOkSc
https://youtu.be/Pz0dS5kuRy0
https://youtu.be/Dw223-FK-Fw
https://youtu.be/FXVN2Nj6sF8 (I like the live version more, the suggested songs from the same album are epic as well)

So yeah what's close to this?

(too obvious? :-P )

Tough to find stuff that sounds just like CC, with their variety of song structures, leads and massive bottom end. Evisceration Plague is by far my favorite CC album, but I don't know anything that sounds like it. But since it sounds like we might like similar stuff, I'll throw a few examples out there that don't sound just like CC or Obituary, but they're in the same vein - bludgeoning, generally mid-paced, good bottom end, etc. Maybe you'll like a few.

(far and away my favorite death metal album)

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:28 pm 

Hey I've listened to a lot of black metal (and others), but I want to try to get into some more death metal. Can anybody point me in the right direction of groovy, interestingly-structured, mid-paced DM (<-- that was in order of importance, greatest to smallest)? It would be even helpful if you told me where the groovier bands come from, because I have no clue what's what in the death metal world.

This is the only death metal that I know well (and like) that fits the description:

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 am 

I always thought Dominus basically sounded like Bolt Thrower + swedeath like Nihilist or something. If for whatever reason you've never heard Bolt Thrower, definitely check 'em out as they're legendary for a reason. Swedeath bands...essentials like Entombed (first two albums especially), Dismember, Carnage plus other goodies like God Macabre, Uncanny and Gorement.

Obligatory Slugathor rec if you've never heard 'em.

Also, maybe you'd get a kick out of fellow Danes Undergang?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:43 am 

I forgot the name of this death metal band. They play a OSDM, are from Germany and have released two albums recently. Their last album has raspy vocals not far removed from say, Necrophobic and has a weird cover artwork that's pretty unclear. Does this ring a bell to anyone? :p

MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:06 pm 

Can anyone recommend some amazingly produced death metal albums? By amazing I mean the ones which audiophiles would love to praise. One such album is Ecdysis by Horrendous. I am okay with both OSDM and the new age stuff.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:05 pm 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but you could try Ouroboros from Australia if you haven't already.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 am 

I have looked into Indonesian Death Metal and I have heard many generic brutal Death Metal bands. I am looking for Indonesian Death Metal bands that are interesting. I will prefer for the bands to have formed as early as possible. I have a bit of a disdain for the Indonesian Death Metal scene but I don't feel that way about other South East Asian countries as I like a few bands from Malaysia and Sinagapore.

I was already recommended Hellucinate, Revenge, Exhumation, Siksa Kubur and Sucker Head by sushiman. All great bands.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:59 am 

Glad you like them, and sorry to Diamhea for posting there instead of here - should have occurred to me before answering.

By the way, Sucker Head isn't what I would classify death metal, more of a thrashy Indonesian Motorhead with lots of groove :)

You can find Revenge at Sepsis Records, Siksa Kubur stuff is on Rottrevore, and Hellucinate just signed with Hitam Kelam. You might like to browse through those labels too (although Rottrevore is the label that releases most of the brutal death metal stuff you aren't crazy for)

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 pm 

Looking for bands similar to either Mortician or Grind Minded.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:13 pm 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I have looked into Indonesian Death Metal and I have heard many generic brutal Death Metal bands. I am looking for Indonesian Death Metal bands that are interesting. I will prefer for the bands to have formed as early as possible. I have a bit of a disdain for the Indonesian Death Metal scene but I don't feel that way about other South East Asian countries as I like a few bands from Malaysia and Sinagapore.

I was already recommended Hellucinate, Revenge, Exhumation, Siksa Kubur and Sucker Head by sushiman. All great bands.

Try these brutal death bands

Death Vomit
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Death_Vomit/2410
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM0ixQVGwnI

Jasad
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Jasad/1058
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKodlIy-2h4

Rotten Corpse (One album that came out in '96)
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rotten_Corpse/57550
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdiutWJ_eQ

I don't know many bands from Indonesia that catch my attention, except that there seem to be a lot of generic and forgettable brutal death and slam bands. Rotten Corpse from these 3 is my favorite because I like oldschool brutal death a lot. Jasad is probably the most well known slam band from there. Not my thing as I rarely like any slam but you probably already know them. Death Vomit is just solid brutal death that has been around for a while now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:19 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I forgot the name of this death metal band. They play a OSDM, are from Germany and have released two albums recently. Their last album has raspy vocals not far removed from say, Necrophobic and has a weird cover artwork that's pretty unclear. Does this ring a bell to anyone? :p

Sulphur Aeon?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:40 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Deserted fear ?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 am 

Found them already. They're called Obscure Infinity.

Anyone here familiar with the Swedish Bloodstone? Pretty solid stuff.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 am 

colin040 wrote:
Found them already. They're called Obscure Infinity.

Anyone here familiar with the Swedish Bloodstone? Pretty pricy stuff.

FTFY. :P

Never got into them really, and that wasn't because of the price. To be honest though it's been so many years since I listened to that album that I can't even tell you why. Although in retrospective when I don't remember something that kind of says something about it.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:50 am 

Bloodstone is one of my favorites of Swedish OSDM.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:31 pm 

The guy that made a thread called "Death/Thrash" said that Vader weren't death/thrash (yes, he was a Mallcore kid). Ah... it was a good laugh.

Anyway, I just recently started to rediscover death metal for real. I know of the popular Floridian bands and melodic DM bands from Sweden, and recently listened to Left Hand Path by Entombed. It's a monster, so now I want to dive into Swedish DM. What are some good bands that can help me get started, preferably straight up death metal?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:05 pm 

Dismember and Carnage are the most obvious choices.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:12 pm 

Also try The Red in the Sky is Ours, The Nocturnal Silence and The Supreme Force of Eternity.

Several bands have released albums I'm not a fan of but are worth checking if you love the Swedish death metal stuff: early Therion, Afflicted's debut, God Macabre, Nirvana 2002, first two Hypocrisy albums...

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:26 pm 

There's also Excruciate's Passage of Like, Desultory's Into Eternity, Grave's Into the Grave, Unleashed's Where No Life Dwells and Vomitory's Blood Rapture and Revelation Nausea.

Yeah, that'll do for now. Most of these are the bands debuts, but both Grave and Unleashed have recently put out some awesome albums as well, maybe even better quality than their early stuff. I couldn't tell you about the others.

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:57 pm 

Check out Wombbath and Sorcery. May be from Germany but Fleshcrawl has the Swedish sound.

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:34 pm 

Hey guys:

YES: Primitive, raw, caveman like, very simple/dumbed down death metal (yet catchy).

NO : Technicality, clean vox, keyboard (and anything other than guitar,bass and drums), speed, death'n'roll.

Paganitzu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:44 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
The guy that made a thread called "Death/Thrash" said that Vader weren't death/thrash (yes, he was a Mallcore kid). Ah... it was a good laugh.

Anyway, I just recently started to rediscover death metal for real. I know of the popular Floridian bands and melodic DM bands from Sweden, and recently listened to Left Hand Path by Entombed. It's a monster, so now I want to dive into Swedish DM. What are some good bands that can help me get started, preferably straight up death metal?

Lots of Swedish stuff worth checking out. Besides what's been mentioned already, Seance is one of my favourites. More reminiscent of American death metal, but with their own flair. For more typical Swedeath there's some lesser-known stuff like Centinex's first couple albums, Uncanny's Splenium for Nyktophobia and Sarcasm's Burial Dimensions that are pretty decent.

If I was making a top five, though:
Spoiler: show

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:14 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

If you like Entombed's first you're going to love that Nihilist compilation. Best thing those guys ever did, without doubt or question.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:24 pm 

MouthBreather wrote:
Can anyone recommend some amazingly produced death metal albums? By amazing I mean the ones which audiophiles would love to praise. One such album is Ecdysis by Horrendous. I am okay with both OSDM and the new age stuff.

I have what could be considered audiophile equipment (my main system being Paradigm Signature speakers and dual Seismic 110 subwoofers) and have listened to metal on high-end equipment for a long time. There isn't much, if any, death metal I consider audiophile quality. I doubt if any audiophile would pick any death metal as audiophile-worthy. It's just generally so congested that it's hard to record and it taxes speakers to the max. But I'll throw a few of my favorite quality productions out there. These all have deficiencies, but overall they aren't a jumbled mess of noise or compression like many death metal productions.

Dawn of Demise - Hate Takes Its Form (nice clarity and definition)
    Abysmal Dawn - Obsolescence (thin on the lower end but decent definition)
    Conquering Dystopia (virtuosic, but a little overly compressed)
    Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague (great bass, decent clarity)
    Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option (decent clarity, low end is a little too compressed)
    Aeon - Aeons Black (decent definition across the whole spectrum)
    Synthetic Torture - A Prediction of Ailment (great mid-bass, a little sibilant on top)
    Kataklysm - Heaven's Venom (not as congested as their other releases, decent definition - especially in the mid-bass and midrange)

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:56 am 

i'm looking stuff similar to these 2 God Dethroned albums: 'The Grand Grimoire' and 'Bloody Blasphemy'.

Raw, brutal, fast riffing with some epic and beautiful melodiousness. This Dutch band has a pretty characteristic style on these two albums, and I haven't managed to find similar (perhaps there isn't).

I find some similarities to some Hypocrisy, Dimmu Borgir and older Cradle Of Filth (or then, not...) for example, but is there more closely similar music out there???

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:02 am 

Smitty wrote:
MouthBreather wrote:

I have what could be considered audiophile equipment (my main system being Paradigm Signature speakers and dual Seismic 110 subwoofers) and have listened to metal on high-end equipment for a long time. There isn't much, if any, death metal I consider audiophile quality. I doubt if any audiophile would pick any death metal as audiophile-worthy. It's just generally so congested that it's hard to record and it taxes speakers to the max. But I'll throw a few of my favorite quality productions out there. These all have deficiencies, but overall they aren't a jumbled mess of noise or compression like many death metal productions.

Dawn of Demise - Hate Takes Its Form (nice clarity and definition)
    Abysmal Dawn - Obsolescence (thin on the lower end but decent definition)
    Conquering Dystopia (virtuosic, but a little overly compressed)
    Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague (great bass, decent clarity)
    Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option (decent clarity, low end is a little too compressed)
    Aeon - Aeons Black (decent definition across the whole spectrum)
    Synthetic Torture - A Prediction of Ailment (great mid-bass, a little sibilant on top)
    Kataklysm - Heaven's Venom (not as congested as their other releases, decent definition - especially in the mid-bass and midrange)

I have to agree with you, "audiophile death metal" is never going to happen. I'l go as far as saying that I don't understand how Ecdysis can be an example, but I digress.

Any ultra-clean production job with a bit of warmth should do the trick, stuff that falls into the tech/prog camp would be the most obvious thing to try. Although in all honesty I'm not entirely sure what it is that the OP wanted in terms of sound (clarity, warmth, definition, etc.), and it goes without saying that all of that varies from my ears to yours to the next person's so it's hard to even suggest anything at all.

Bringer of Light
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:44 am 

TheWordOnLameStreet wrote:
Can anyone explain to me what is "Slam Death Metal" ???

Slam or Slamming Death Metal is Death Metal that countains gore and porno stuff

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:08 am 

Zanzir wrote:
Hey guys:

YES: Primitive, raw, caveman like, very simple/dumbed down death metal (yet catchy).

NO : Technicality, clean vox, keyboard (and anything other than guitar,bass and drums), speed, death'n'roll.

Got a couple for you, depends on whether you already know them or not though.

Firstly, Grave Upheaval. Really doesn't get much more primitive and raw with these guys.

Innsmouth also from Australia play some pretty caveman-like, eerie death metal that's not all technical polish. Good catchy, heavy stuff.

From the UK is שְׁאוֹל, who are the epitome of some caveman, bludgeoning death metal.

Manifesting have a pretty cool take on things as well.

Shroud Of The Heretic are worth a look too, especially their Boiled to Death EP.

Hic Iacet from Spain also have some of the rawest, lumbering death metal I've heard in a while.

Muknal are some fine purveyors of rank and rotten death metal.

My collection

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:15 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Zanzir wrote:
Hey guys:

Got a couple for you, depends on whether you already know them or not though.

Firstly, Grave Upheaval. Really doesn't get much more primitive and raw with these guys.

Must have missed Zanzir's request. My go to for the most basic, primitive, very simple, dumbed down (yet catchy) death metal is ...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:07 am 

I'm looking for symphonic death metal akin to Septicflesh's Communion and The Great Mass. Stuff that can stand on its own sans the orchestra but with it perfectly integrated to sound organic and part of the music, not just something that's slapped on top of it. No I'm not looking for a Fleshgod Apocalypse style clusterfuck, neither for an Ex Deo boring chugfest. Some good examples of what I'm searching for from those SF albums would be Babel's Gate or Five-Pointed Star.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:06 pm 

I don't think anyone has done it better than Scrambled Defuncts - Souls Despising the God. While I enjoy Fleshgod Apocalypse, this album perfected what I think they are trying to do, but did it before Agony came out. It's very intricate, full of atmosphere and unrelenting ferocity. There's a good chance you've heard of it, as I've seen people mention it in this forum.

The other one I have is Morgue Orgy. It's The Black Dahlia Murder under a shroud of surprisingly good keyboards, many full on, experienced symphonic bands wish their keyboards sounded like this. I don't know what your take on TBDM is, but even if you happen to dislike them, I would recommend them anyway, they are much better than the name and description would imply and the song I linked features one Dave Hunt, who we all know is fucking amazing.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 pm 

Yeah, I know Scrambled Defuncts mate. I tried searching for this specific kind of sound a few years back and there really wasn't anything outstanding, but since it was a few years back I thought I'd give it another shot (that and the SF discs arriving this week which aroused such a request). It's a specific and hard to find kind of sound though, I'm aware of that.

Morgue Orgy, meh, not the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 pm 

Yeah, I know what you mean, too often these bands cross heavily into black metal in some regard, I think that's the main reason there just aren't that many bands doing that. Can't say I'm surprised to hear your take on these, but it never hurts to try! I'll keep an eye/ear out for bands that do this and post if I hear anything worthwhile.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:10 pm 

Drodi do you know of the Canadian band Sympathy? I've whored them out before, can't remember if it was to you or not though... Anyways they don't have the same level of orchestration that those SF songs have but it might be something you'd enjoy if you don't know them already.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Christianmangle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:02 am 

I apologize if this or something similar has already been requested. I am a huge fan of osdm and I own a great deal of the old albums that were released in the early 90s. I am looking for something released during that time that may have been overlooked and underrated but is still of high quality. As far as style I mainly listen to the Florida scene but I also love the death metal that was coming out of Sweden and Finland at the time. Something recent that still has an old school sound (such as Troglodyte) would also be great.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:19 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Drodi do you know of the Canadian band Sympathy? I've whored them out before, can't remember if it was to you or not though... Anyways they don't have the same level of orchestration that those SF songs have but it might be something you'd enjoy if you don't know them already.

Yeah, you whored them out good! :P I heard that album with the fiery cover at the time and wasn't too convinced. I get what they're doing but it's just not my thing.

@Christianmangle - Dude, there's just too much stuff to mention. What are you familiar with to begin with? Give us a starting point.

fengarm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:26 am 

RATTLER is something for the fans of Septic Flesh, Behemoth and Bolt Thrower, has elements of all of these bands either musically or vibe-wise. A true hidden gem of really original quality death metal.

https://soundcloud.com/chocmool-sirius

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:02 pm 

Bringer of Light wrote:
TheWordOnLameStreet wrote:
Can anyone explain to me what is "Slam Death Metal" ???

Slam or Slamming Death Metal is Death Metal that countains gore and porno stuff

No it's not. It is a specific style of death metal, it has nothing to do with the lyrics. I have no idea how you got that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mezm ... eath_Metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240 ... 290  Next