Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Racial_Sweepstakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:39 pm 

For 2015 recommendations...definitely look into the latest Putridity album if you like brutal death metal. It will be released on August 28th and can be previewed at Invisible Oranges. It's arguably one of the most brutal albums ever made. I am also really excited for Abhorrent's debut album, which comes out November 20th. Abhorrent features ex-The Faceless drummer Lyle Cooper and bassist Erlend Caspersen of Spawn of Possession. Both of these look like strong contenders for album of the year for me.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a little unsure whether my request suits this thread since it encompasses grindcore as well. Basically I'm looking for a variant of modern technical death metal that includes both experimental and grindcore elements. However, ones that are grind-influenced alone is perfectly acceptable as well. I AM NOT looking for bands of the "noodling" variety, typically exemplified by most of the Unique Leader roster. Basically I want some serious mind-fuck material. You know, the really far-out stuff that Relapse used to peddle and Willowtip continues to deliver. Some reference points include:

Cephalic Carnage
Fuck the Facts
Maruta
Crowpath
Discordance Axis
Gigan
!T.O.O.H.!
Gridlink
Pyrrhon
Antigama
Hivesmasher
Oblivionized
Malignancy
Noisear
Burnt by the Sun
Psychofagist
Cattle Decapitation
The Red Chord

Any takers? I'm a sucker for this type of stuff.

Leper is right up your pavement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=269&v=WnJpmOikS2w

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:23 pm 

Winter Gate - disILLUMINATION
DM sometimes going to mash guitars (for death metal), before being mixed in and used a lot especially on the "first" real song (which is also the original) ; some passages "doom" which breaks the rhythm of these two long pieces of more than 10 minutes after the intro. We could talk about because if atmo Death is occasionally but it never lasts . Far from being nothing indipensable hold attention.

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 am 

So,i just got internal bleeding's Imperium,and im wondering what could possibly sound like these guys?
I prefer newer stuff that are easy to find.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:15 pm 

Hey guys looking for something stylistically like Morbid Angels Gateways to Annihilation. Liking the mix of droney riffs that still have a good amount of energy to them and dynamics in rhythm. I like the relatively clearer production on this album too, think it really helps the overall sound.

The main riff around the 00:46 mark and on is a perfect example of what i love about this album.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:58 pm 

Best discovery I have made in quite a while. This is surely going to be one of my top albums of the year and I am only half way through the album.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:04 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Best discovery I have made in quite a while. This is surely going to be one of my top albums of the year and I am only half way through the album.

Great find. Thanks for making me spend money.

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:32 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a little unsure whether my request suits this thread since it encompasses grindcore as well. Basically I'm looking for a variant of modern technical death metal that includes both experimental and grindcore elements. However, ones that are grind-influenced alone is perfectly acceptable as well. I AM NOT looking for bands of the "noodling" variety, typically exemplified by most of the Unique Leader roster. Basically I want some serious mind-fuck material. You know, the really far-out stuff that Relapse used to peddle and Willowtip continues to deliver. Some reference points include:

Cephalic Carnage
Fuck the Facts
Maruta
Crowpath
Discordance Axis
Gigan
!T.O.O.H.!
Gridlink
Pyrrhon
Antigama
Hivesmasher
Oblivionized
Malignancy
Noisear
Burnt by the Sun
Psychofagist
Cattle Decapitation
The Red Chord

Any takers? I'm a sucker for this type of stuff.

I see you got a lot of recommendations. I'll make sure to check them all my self since i my self looking for those kind of stuff.

Here some of mine...

stuff that sounds like Noiser:

Amygdala new band sound like a mix of Noisear, Maruta,Gigan
https://amygdaladtx.bandcamp.com/releases

Defeatist i think you'll love them. Remind me a bit of Noisear.
https://defeatist.bandcamp.com/album/tyranny-of-decay

Circle of dead children quite famous remind me of cephalic carnage..
https://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/ps ... -destroyer

Lykathea Aflame also famous very much like !T.O.O.H.!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArBw3XIzF4

Gride not death but grind and much more punk then the others... but it is experimental, and amazing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKPw2cYzzFY

Diseased Reason Experimental grindcore with some sludgy parts.
https://handshakeinc.bandcamp.com/album/recombinant

that whats comes to mind right now ill think of more later...

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:28 pm 

Great recs! Thanks. That Amygdala EP sounds promising, like an sweet mix of Gigan and Pyrrhon. I should've included Lykathea Aflame and Gride on my list, and I can't for the life of me figure out how they slipped my mind. I understand this is an incredibly broad request and that there are variety of bands from the extreme metal spectrum that fits

- 'Core'-influenced ones like: Psyopus, Trap Them, Lethargy, Uphill Battle
- Czech avant-garde flavored oddities: Alienation Mental, Contrastic, Perfecitizen, Mincing Fury
- Digitized grind: NOISM, Whourkr, Agoraphobic Nosebleed

and a whole host of cool bands like Damaged (Aus), Idylls, Head Hits Concrete, Psudoku, Vulgar Pigeons, Swarrrm, Asterisk.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:02 pm 

Maybe Commit Suicide from the Willowtip heyday?

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:34 pm 

Are there any albums/bands that sound like Holocausto de la Morte, maybe some obscurities?

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:52 pm 

With no replies on my last Morbid Angel request, I will try a different angle! Anyone know of some other bands that use this riffing style found at 00:55 and onward. Really droney yet powerful.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:49 pm 

So, these past few days I've been itching for some old school death metal, but I want something more... blatantly atmospheric, but without losing the evil. I'd like bands that feature slower sections, maybe some keyboards, melodic leads, long songs, etc. Any combination of those features should be good enough, feel free to rec anything even if it doesn't match every requirement. Crypticus' The Belasco Bequest (as well as 2nd part Chains For Devils) is part of what inspired this query so it definitely fits what I'm looking for as well as Timeghoul, Nocturnus, Horrendous and so forth. The older, dirtier death/doom bands like diSEMBOWELMENT should also fit these criteria. Thanks in advance!
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:26 pm 

Looking for bands or songs with catchy melodic somewhat evil licks.

Some examples: the leads during the choruses of Death's "1,000 Eyes" and Vital Remains "Dechristianized"

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:42 am 

Nochielo wrote:
So, these past few days I've been itching for some old school death metal, but I want something more... blatantly atmospheric, but without losing the evil. I'd like bands that feature slower sections, maybe some keyboards, melodic leads, long songs, etc. Any combination of those features should be good enough, feel free to rec anything even if it doesn't match every requirement. Crypticus' The Belasco Bequest (as well as 2nd part Chains For Devils) is part of what inspired this query so it definitely fits what I'm looking for as well as Timeghoul, Nocturnus, Horrendous and so forth. The older, dirtier death/doom bands like diSEMBOWELMENT should also fit these criteria. Thanks in advance!

You'll probably like this: http://dystrophyband.com/

flowing gore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:14 am 

metroplex wrote:

Some examples: the leads during the choruses of Death's "1,000 Eyes" and Vital Remains "Dechristianized"

Perhaps give post-Nocturnal Silence Necrophobic a shot.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:08 pm 

flowing gore wrote:
metroplex wrote:

Perhaps give post-Nocturnal Silence Necrophobic a shot.

I'll give it a try thanks but, isn't Necrophobic black metal?

flowing gore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:12 pm 

metroplex wrote:
I'll give it a try thanks but, isn't Necrophobic black metal?

To my ears they've got black and death metal elements going on. See what you think.

I'd also recommend Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind, if you haven't heard it yet. Melodic but has balls. Also try Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:48 pm 

androdion wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

You'll probably like this: http://dystrophyband.com/

Oh, andro, we can always count on you! I'd rather have a slightly grimier production, just for added atmosphere, but musically this is very cool, fits like a glove. Great call, loving this. Any other recs are welcome, throw 'em in there!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:18 pm 

Ah mate, thanks for the kind words! :beer: Let me just name-drop a bit and you tell me what you make of it, OK?!

Depresy are more on the atmospheric side, with melodic leads and keyboards, though not technical at all. Think of Hypocrisy circa 1994 with an early nineties Century Media vibe. If you like this get Amorbital as well.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ussmV ... d_2e62ECtN
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3thNtGAfS8E

Sacred Sin, a band that I blatantly whore out, mostly because they're great! I'd say pick up their second album which is borderline Disaffected circa Vast at points. Come to think of it, check out Vast as well if you haven't. Keyboards, melody, grimness, and a semi-technical flair (in Vast's case it's full-on progressive).

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02-xPV22xrI
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXhDVjrVrc

Excruciate is pretty much like a slower Carnage with some grinding blasting sections, and some twisted songwriting choices here and there. Killer underrated stuff!

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcdZZ6JaaLs

Dusk should fit the criteria for D. worship, particularly the first EP. Off-kilter and uncanny stuff.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC8YzGb ... R5MAQe_GPK

Dehydrated is another old Slovakian band, but this one is more in vein with Pestilence circa 1991 with a bit of early Deicide and Chris Barnes vocals. Pretty cool, albeit formulaic stuff, but I can only find two songs online. The album is worth a few bucks though.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDVnMMTTOiY
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5pKMpiDxM

I've skipped many obvious names because I'm sure they'll be too obvious. Let me know what you make of these ones. ;)

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:29 am 

Deathevokation too obvious?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0KqPEZO64c

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:13 am 

Heard the name, not a second of music though. Will check out ASAP!
androdion wrote:
Ah mate, thanks for the kind words! :beer: Let me just name-drop a bit and you tell me what you make of it, OK?!
[awesome recs]

Hey, man, no problem! When people in this site recommend something I do check it out, but when you or CrushedRevelation say I need to check out something, it's time to drop whatever I’m doing and have a listen. You guys rec amazing stuff.

Anyways, I didn’t knew any of the bands you mentioned, so I’ve a lot of listening ahead of myself now. By the way, technicality isn’t something I’m particularly concerned with for purposes of this query, so never mind that. I listened to a couple tracks from each link in order to provide prompt feedback, but will check out every album entirely at some point, so let’s call these first impressions and subject to changes:

-Depresy is excellent, but the strong black metal flirtations make me unsure they fit this request in particular, maybe I need to hear more songs. The full length sounds much closer to what I want right now, as I didn’t get such a strong Rotting Christ vibe as I did from the EP. Again, it’s damn good but I’m looking for stuff that’s as close to pure death metal (or old death/doom) as possible. Definitely checking out more songs as well as Amorbital.

-Sacred Sin is spot on, I can’t believe this name doesn’t come up more often, this is the sort of stuff I live for: it’s vicious, drenched in atmosphere and incredibly nuanced. This is quality songwriting, so much fun. This band’s discography is now a priority.

-Excruciate has the right sound going. The characteristic muddy production, cool riffs, nice tempo shifts, appropriate vocal approach, etc. I didn’t feel a strong atmosphere from it though, lacked that certain “something”, y’know? I noticed the album had a bit of a slow start though that could just be me “getting” the album, so maybe I need a few more listens.

-On the other hand, Dusk fucking gave me chills, it’s just like the first time I heard diSEMBOWELMENT. The atmosphere is suffocating, everything sounds menacing and even powerful. More long songs would have been very welcome but creating such a great atmosphere with songs as short as 4 or 5 minutes is a feat in itself. Very, very cool. This sort of death/doom is sorely missed these days.

-Dehydrated sounded good, too “formulaic” as you said. Not a bad band at all, actually I thought it was pretty fun but there aren’t enough of the elements I’m looking for.

Long story short, Sacred Sin and Dusk are absolutely perfect, Depresy and Dehydrated are great but not quite what I'm looking for in this query and I'm still trying to figure out if Excruciate started their album with subpar songs or if I'm still wrapping my mind around its awesomeness.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:27 am 

Yeah, you got my "nineties CM vibe" comment spot on mate. Sighting is much more on the occult atmosphere than Grand Magnificence, which is a bit more straightforward, but they're both very cool and very "unique" in terms of the specific sound they achieve. Don't bother checking anything else from the band though, it's not on the same level. Amorbital is more straightforward than Grand Magnificence, it'll probably hit home better.

I love Sacred Sin and their first three albums are great, although like I said that sophomore is where things get more "twisted" in terms of songwriting. Try out Anguish... I Harvest first and leave Darkside to last (it's more of an Altars Of Madness rip-off). Just type "sacred sin" on YT and you'll find all three full albums. ;)

Excruciate does seem like a slow mover at first, but the songs are chock full of great riffs. It's probably because the songs aren't entirely dissimilar from, say early Carbonized sans the freakery, but it's an album worth the effort. Spin it a few times and see if it sticks, if not I can also understand why.

I only showed you Dusk's first EP, so if you want longer songs do check out Majestic Thou In Ruin. Coincidently take a peek at Dark Symphonies since they're reissuing a compilation with all of the band's recorded work. Oh, just remembered, check out Ceremonium's first album too for more D. worship. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsbVOcaT4-c

Dehydrated, well, that's that. :lol:

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:03 am 

Hey,what are some EPIC "war" death metal like Sanguis Imperem,Bolt Thrower,Arghoslent?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:09 am 

Quote:
Hey,what are some EPIC "war" death metal like Sanguis Imperem,Bolt Thrower,Arghoslent?

Hail of Bullets (expecially the first two albums) and the international project Halberd should easily satisfy your needs!:)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:19 am 

Zanzir wrote:

Try Spearhead's Decrowning the Irenarch as well.

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:27 am 

androdion wrote:
Zanzir wrote:

Try Spearhead's Decrowning the Irenarch as well.
Morn Of Solace wrote:
Quote:

Hail of Bullets (expecially the first two albums) and the international project Halberd should easily satisfy your needs!:)

I forgot to do this but let me tell you what i already know:

Sanguis Imperem
Bolt Thrower
Arghoslent
Hail of Bullets
Battalion
Humiliation
Jungle Rot
My Darkest Hate
Atomwinter
Decaying

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:22 pm 

Zanzir, then you ought to check out Sacriphyx - https://youtu.be/YfNw-5kYgIs?t=209
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sacriphyx/102084

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:45 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:

OK, I got around to Deathevokation. Now I know why their name comes up as often as it does, this is evil. Excuse while I go headbutt something while wondering why didn't I check them out earlier. Thanks!
androdion wrote:
Yeah, you got my "nineties CM vibe" comment spot on mate. Sighting is much more on the occult atmosphere than Grand Magnificence, which is a bit more straightforward, but they're both very cool and very "unique" in terms of the specific sound they achieve. Don't bother checking anything else from the band though, it's not on the same level. Amorbital is more straightforward than Grand Magnificence, it'll probably hit home better.

I love Sacred Sin and their first three albums are great, although like I said that sophomore is where things get more "twisted" in terms of songwriting. Try out Anguish... I Harvest first and leave Darkside to last (it's more of an Altars Of Madness rip-off). Just type "sacred sin" on YT and you'll find all three full albums. ;)

Excruciate does seem like a slow mover at first, but the songs are chock full of great riffs. It's probably because the songs aren't entirely dissimilar from, say early Carbonized sans the freakery, but it's an album worth the effort. Spin it a few times and see if it sticks, if not I can also understand why.

I only showed you Dusk's first EP, so if you want longer songs do check out Majestic Thou In Ruin. Coincidently take a peek at Dark Symphonies since they're reissuing a compilation with all of the band's recorded work. Oh, just remembered, check out Ceremonium's first album too for more D. worship. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsbVOcaT4-c

Dehydrated, well, that's that. :lol:

So that's what you meant with "nineties CM vibe", haha. Couldn't have said it better.

Amorbital is just great, such a shame most of these bands don't have longer discographies. I've yet to hear the entire album, but so far this is fucking brilliant. Unquestionably death metal, but not afraid to let the music breathe a little. Loving the muddy production too, this album wouldn't work quite as well without it.

I was about to say that Ceremonium didn't have enough pure death metal going then the second song kicked off. The doom parts were noticeably better than the death metal parts, but yeah, this is cool. That album cover has to get a mention too, that was amazing.

Man, thank you so much these are so great! Lots of listening to do over these next few days, that's for sure.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:45 pm 

Nochielo, since you did specifically say that more overtly death/doom stuff might work for you, you should also check out that Temple of Void album that I can't stop listening to lately.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Nochielo, since you did specifically say that more overtly death/doom stuff might work for you, you should also check out that Temple of Void album that I can't stop listening to lately.

Going through the first song and I have to say that it fucking grooves! Seems like I have (yet!) another new album to check out... Oh well, good music is never too much I guess. :D

Glad I could help Nochielo. ;)

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:46 am 

Thank you for taking the time to post, it's much appreciated.

iamntbatman wrote:

I knew I had heard the name before, I think I stumbled upon their Bandcamp a while ago. Just finished my first listen. It hits like a sledgehammer, doesn't have enough, let's say "standard" death metal, but what it does have crushes. For purposes of my request, a muddier production could have helped a lot, but the atmosphere and the riffs (Rot in Solitude, maaaaaaan!) are surely there. They worship the riff and I've nothing but respect for that. Cool stuff!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:44 am 

Molested - atmospheric and folky, yet riffs and brutality. I randomly recommend this band to anyone in this thread who hasn't heard it yet.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:50 pm 

For fans of stuff like Seven Churches, Altars of Madness and From Beyond

I just love that guitar tone and riffing, and the style of barking vocals. Wish more death metal bands still captured this sound.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:47 am 

Is there anything similar to Sororicide? One of the best bands ever.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:07 am 

droneriot wrote:
Is there anything similar to Sororicide? One of the best bands ever.

flowing gore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:47 am 

Requesting brutal death metal that has intelligible vocals (no burping/gurgling) and lead guitar work. Think Suffocation, though that level of technicality isn't essential.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:46 pm 

Try Sepsism. ;)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:02 pm 

Zanzir wrote:

Later Unleashed is quite epic, and have a lot of songs about war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL76FWInI0U#

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:13 pm 

flowing gore wrote:
Requesting brutal death metal that has intelligible vocals (no burping/gurgling) and lead guitar work.

Krisiun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ambBVQG6_ls

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 290  Next