Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:46 pm 

Stumbled upon Cemetery from Germany today. Their second demo is really good so far. The songs are all quite long but feature pretty quality and at times thrashy riff not to mention the leads are absolutely fantastic. Think of the leads on Testimony of the Ancients without the jazziness.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:45 pm 

AcidWorm - Thanks for the recommendations. I liked everything (especially Usurper) except Goatpenis.

cheb144
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:07 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
dcooper wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for stuff that sounds like Nocturnus or Artificial Brain? Basically anything heavy with atmospheric sections and space themes?

Crystal Age's only full-length "Far Beyond Divine Horizons" is a pretty overlooked gem. Conceptually and aesthetically they kinda remind of Nocturnus, but if you're looking something similar sound-wise then Psypheria should fit the bill. You should try 'em both!

Try:
STARSEED Cosmic conspiracy
DETACHMENT Suspended in stone
CRYSTAL AGE Far Beyond Divine Horizons
PSYPHERIA Gothic disturbance
and (less)
ORBITAL FRAME Orbital catastrophe
DIREWOLF Beyond the Lands of Human Existence
ATROPHIA RED SUN Twisted logic
CRYPT OF KERBEROS World of myths
ARCHITECT OF SETH The persistence of scars
LUCIFERION Demonication
PSYPHERIA Embrace the mutation
FIURACH Chaospawner
ETERNAL DIRGE Khaos magick
NINTH LEVEL Demo 2001

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:38 pm 

I need something like Devourement's Impaled demo or Repudilation's Purging of Impurity , dirty production yet clear sound,natural drums ,gurgly and guttural vocals ,overall an organic and old school sound akin to US mid to late 90 slammy death (NY and TX).
IM NOT LOOKING FOR the mechanical sound of Abominable Putridity and the likes,technicality , deathcore and drum machines.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 am 

Been revisiting Darkthrone's Soulside Journey for some months again and forgot what it was like. I really dig the musicianship on it nowadays: you've got the somewhat restrained, almost ''lazy'' sounding growls, which fits perfectly, the swinging acrobatic riffs and that full-on-force kind of drumming....things come together quite well on that album. If anything, the song writing is quite same-y but not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather take an album like that for its consistency than listen to an album with incredible highlights but plenty of crappy tunes on it, too. Having that said, the album is probably quite out there for its time too. It doesn't really sound heavy, dark, or anything like that but rather....I dunno how to describe really, cold and mechanical somewhat?

Does anyone know death metal albums similar to it? :)

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 pm 

Zanzir wrote:
I need something like Devourement's Impaled demo or Repudilation's Purging of Impurity , dirty production yet clear sound,natural drums ,gurgly and guttural vocals ,overall an organic and old school sound akin to US mid to late 90 slammy death (NY and TX).
IM NOT LOOKING FOR the mechanical sound of Abominable Putridity and the likes,technicality , deathcore and drum machines.

Here's some oldies that may interest you:

Also check out demos from Entrapment (NY), Obscurity (NY) and Demogoth.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:00 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Been revisiting Darkthrone's Soulside Journey for some months again and forgot what it was like. I really dig the musicianship on it nowadays: you've got the somewhat restrained, almost ''lazy'' sounding growls, which fits perfectly, the swinging acrobatic riffs and that full-on-force kind of drumming....things come together quite well on that album. If anything, the song writing is quite same-y but not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather take an album like that for its consistency than listen to an album with incredible highlights but plenty of crappy tunes on it, too. Having that said, the album is probably quite out there for its time too. It doesn't really sound heavy, dark, or anything like that but rather....I dunno how to describe really, cold and mechanical somewhat?

I love that album and haven't found much similar stuff out there. Maybe Autopsy - Mental Funeral, or Thou Shalt Suffer - Open the Mysteries of Your Creation ?

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:46 am 

colin040 wrote:

Probably want to check out some of the old school Fin-death out there. One (slightly random) example that comes to mind is Phlegethon.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm 

Autopsy and Thou Shalt Suffer are definitely different bands, not similar to what I'm looking for at all.

schizoid wrote:
Probably want to check out some of the old school Fin-death out there. One (slightly random) example that comes to mind is Phlegethon.

This is more like it. Definitely has that similar mechanical feeling to it. Thanks!

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:55 pm 

Any tech bands that have a big PM influence, or are straight up tech death/power? I think this could work very well, and I'd love to hear this stuff. Don't see any bands doing it, yet I don't know many tech bands, except for Augury, though they go more for the folk/pirate side.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:21 pm 

Quote:
Any tech bands that have a big PM influence, or are straight up tech death/power? I think this could work very well, and I'd love to hear this stuff. Don't see any bands doing it, yet I don't know many tech bands, except for Augury, though they go more for the folk/pirate side.

Desultor is the closest i can think of without falling directly into the melodic death metal genre, but even a band like Arghoslent could fit the bill, even if they use a more 80's heavy metal sound (and not straight up power metal)

titan_v
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:58 pm 

I've been searching for other bands with a similar drum sound to:

I could only find one thing and that was a Hazael demo.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:29 pm 

This is the drum sound you are looking for...

As far as general sound/vibe goes, Disastrous Murmur are pretty much like Pungent Stench.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:46 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Quote:

Desultor is the closest i can think of without falling directly into the melodic death metal genre, but even a band like Arghoslent could fit the bill, even if they use a more 80's heavy metal sound (and not straight up power metal)

Great stuff, although I'd like to hear more of that typical guitar wankery... The vocals put me off at first but now I'm really enjoying them, thanks! Looking for more of it.

marcstone348
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:29 pm 

PrettyNormalMedia wrote:
Can anyone recommend death metal that doesn't emphasize low tunings so much? It can be old or new, although I'm not really a fan of the dry, treble-heavy, deathcore drenched death metal that tends to be popular these days.

quo vadis

marcstone348
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:40 pm 

I love brutal death metal music but absolutely hate how almost every brutal death metal band has lyrics about sexual deviance/rape and violence against women. That really sours the music for me and makes me not uncomfortable. I try and look for bands in this style without those lyrical themes, and yet I had people made fun of me for wanting music like this without that lyrical content.

To make matters worse, I tried another place asking for bands that fit this bill musically (but not lyrically), and who did people suggest? Opeth. Meshuggah. Gojira. Those are not brutal death metal bands. Hell, they aren't even death metal bands.

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for in terms of sound, but without the lyrical content:

Can someone please be reasonable and be willing to recommend me bands that sound like the above and don't write lyrics about rape/sexual deviance/violence against women? I'm looking for bands without it and they all have content like that, which pisses me off to no end. And please don't say, "Who cares? You can't make out what they're saying most of the time, anyway..", please suggest bands.

Last edited by marcstone348 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:24 am 

^ People were mean to you? Was that on this forum?

Anyway, the first thing I thought of was Wormed's Exodromos. About space and time and stuff. Look them up. :)

There's actually a fair amount of brutal death bands with sci-fi/alien/space lyrics. The advanced search here might yield some results for you.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

marcstone348
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:30 am 

It wasn't here, it was elsewhere I asked and people thought I was joking, or seemed to think it all should have those lyrics. That or they gave sarcastic responses.

I guess I'll have to check out that Wormed album then

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:45 am 

marcstone348 wrote:
It wasn't here, it was elsewhere I asked and people thought I was joking, or seemed to think it all should have those lyrics. That or they gave sarcastic responses.

I guess I'll have to check out that Wormed album then

That sucks, particularly if you were just asking politely!

Yeah, check them out, mate. I like that album. Their first album is the same, but I prefer Exodromos. :)

Now that I've thought about it, some of the Italian brutal death bands like Hour of Penance and Hideous Divinity have other lyrical themes, too. Unfortunately, they don't sound like Gorgasm or Inveracity, which is what you're after. Maybe check them out if you're curious. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:53 am 

'ssupm Metalheads.

Am looking for recommendations similar to the new Avulsed EP "To Sacrifice and Devour".

Specifics, heavy / brutal but melodic and with audible bass.

Cheers!

- Savage

Last edited by NbleSavage on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:34 pm 

Have you heard Blood Red Throne?

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:37 pm 

schizoid wrote:

Love 'em, Mate! Great example of the style I'm after.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:31 pm 

marcstone348 wrote:
I love brutal death metal music but absolutely hate how almost every brutal death metal band has lyrics about sexual deviance/rape and violence against women. That really sours the music for me and makes me not uncomfortable. I try and look for bands in this style without those lyrical themes, and yet I had people made fun of me for wanting music like this without that lyrical content.

Try Deeds of Flesh (particularly Inbreeding the Anthropophagi) and Disavowed (particularly Perceptive Deception) for bands with that general sound (there's plenty of brutal death metal bands that eschew the generally distasteful fondness so many seem to have for misogynistic lyrics, but in terms of the style you're going for, this is what I can suggest).

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:31 am 

Quote:

Bands Like the italian Vomit The Soul (on their second excellent album, the first it's still gory-themed) and russian Katalepsy play this style of music without lyrics like that, focusing more on abstract topics

Also, while more on the tech side, the german band Cytotoxin it's very good and their lyrics focus on nuclear disasters

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:17 am 

NbleSavage wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Any others in this vein, Lads?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:05 am 

schizoid wrote:

Love 'em, Mate! Great example of the style I'm after.[/quote]

Ive thought that Come Seath and Souls of Damnation are very similar to Cannibal Corpse Kill and EP

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:09 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Ive thought that Come Seath and Souls of Damnation are very similar to Cannibal Corpse Kill and EP[/quote]

I prefer the vocals of BRT over the older Corpse, but musically this is close.

Souls of Damnation - in particular the track 'Not Turgenjev But Close' is a perfect example of the sound I'm after!

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:03 am 

Hey,i thought about summarizing what i found about the brutal groove/nydm/old school slam/midpaced headbanging albums so here goes.
Keep in mind that these bands do not sound alike in most cases but they all share that feeling im all about:

Suffocation (everything)
Soils Of Fate (everything)
Internal Bleeding (everything)
Acephala - Division By Zero (2010)
Bane Of Existence - Humanity's Splintered Salvation (2004)
Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit (1992)
Cephalotripsy - Uterovaginal Insertion Of Extirpated Anomalies (2007)
Cerebral Hemorrhage - Exempting Reality (2001)
Clitorture - Clitorture (2004)
Cumgun - Suck The Guts From My Slut (2005)
Cyanosis - Methods (1999)
Dead For Ten Weeks - Bloodline Detriment (2007)
Deeds Of Flesh - Gradually Melted (1995)
Dehumanized - Prophecies Foretold (1998)
Devourment - 1.3.8 (2000)
Devourment - Molesting The Decapitated (1999)
Digested Flesh - The Answer To Infection (2004)
Disinterment - Graveyard Fornication (2005)
Dying Fetus - Grotesque Impalement (2000)
Dying Fetus - Killing On Adrenaline (1998)
Dying Fetus - Purification Through Violence (1996)
Dyscrasia - Septical Stomach Pumped Remnants (2004)
Eternal Suffering - Drowning In Tragedy (1999)
Hidden Pride - Brutal Advice (1997)
Gorevent - Abnormal Exaggeration (2008)
Gutted - Bleed For Us To Live (1994)
Malamor - Dead To The World (2004)
Meat Cutting Floor - Rectal Quest (2013)
Mucopus - Mulch (2005)
Mortal Decay - Sickening Erotic Fanaticism (1997)
Oppressor - Agony (1996)
Prophecy - Our Domain (2002)
Pyrexia - Sermon Of Mockery (1993)
Pyrexia - System Of The Animal (1998)
Sepsism - Purulent Decomposition (1999)
Skinless - Foreshadowing Our Demise (2001)
Skinless - Progression Towards Evil (1998)
Stabwound - Bloodsoaked Serenades (2003)
Stabwound - Human Boundaries (2004)
Svin Killer - Drowning Into The Green Mass (2011)

Notice that some are more grind than death,others are faster,more technical,some are simplistic but all share that one thing: Groove.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:12 am 

Zanzir wrote:
Hey,i thought about summarizing what i found about the brutal groove/nydm/old school slam/midpaced headbanging albums so here goes.
Keep in mind that these bands do not sound alike in most cases but they all share that feeling im all about:

Suffocation (everything)
Soils Of Fate (everything)
Internal Bleeding (everything)
Acephala - Division By Zero (2010)
Bane Of Existence - Humanity's Splintered Salvation (2004)
Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit (1992)
Cephalotripsy - Uterovaginal Insertion Of Extirpated Anomalies (2007)
Cerebral Hemorrhage - Exempting Reality (2001)
Clitorture - Clitorture (2004)
Cumgun - Suck The Guts From My Slut (2005)
Cyanosis - Methods (1999)
Dead For Ten Weeks - Bloodline Detriment (2007)
Deeds Of Flesh - Gradually Melted (1995)
Dehumanized - Prophecies Foretold (1998)
Devourment - 1.3.8 (2000)
Devourment - Molesting The Decapitated (1999)
Digested Flesh - The Answer To Infection (2004)
Disinterment - Graveyard Fornication (2005)
Dying Fetus - Grotesque Impalement (2000)
Dying Fetus - Killing On Adrenaline (1998)
Dying Fetus - Purification Through Violence (1996)
Dyscrasia - Septical Stomach Pumped Remnants (2004)
Eternal Suffering - Drowning In Tragedy (1999)
Hidden Pride - Brutal Advice (1997)
Gorevent - Abnormal Exaggeration (2008)
Gutted - Bleed For Us To Live (1994)
Malamor - Dead To The World (2004)
Meat Cutting Floor - Rectal Quest (2013)
Mucopus - Mulch (2005)
Mortal Decay - Sickening Erotic Fanaticism (1997)
Oppressor - Agony (1996)
Prophecy - Our Domain (2002)
Pyrexia - Sermon Of Mockery (1993)
Pyrexia - System Of The Animal (1998)
Sepsism - Purulent Decomposition (1999)
Skinless - Foreshadowing Our Demise (2001)
Skinless - Progression Towards Evil (1998)
Stabwound - Bloodsoaked Serenades (2003)
Stabwound - Human Boundaries (2004)
Svin Killer - Drowning Into The Green Mass (2011)

Notice that some are more grind than death,others are faster,more technical,some are simplistic but all share that one thing: Groove.

Great list, Mate!!

NECROIMPALER_TERRORUNIT
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:13 pm 

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle and hope some enlightened beings could be able to guide me towards the light here.
The thing is: I have a general idea and knowledge base about death metal, but my knowledge is much more charted in the black metal direction.
I am looking for a band with a similar sound to these guys, an Italian band I ran into some years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs5TybzRpL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3oEkNGzYmA

I am looking for this ruthless, crust-infested energetic old school death metal sound with deep howling vocals. It even has some rock and roll pumping somewhere beneath and melodic in its own right, although not in the Carcass-y sense of the word. It's my ultimate workout music haha.
I've heard that they sound like old Entombed, but quite frankly not to my ear, that's not what I'm looking for here..
As most listener praise this band for their "old school sound" I hope you can recommend something in a similar vein.
Thanks!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:32 am 

I actually think Undead Creep sound a lot more like Dismember than Entombed. The more aggressive aspects also reminds me of Demonical:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:03 pm 

How about Vomitory? They've got a bit more of the crust (or at least punk) side to their riffing.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:10 pm 

NECROIMPALER_TERRORUNIT wrote:
I am looking for this ruthless, crust-infested energetic old school death metal sound with deep howling vocals. It even has some rock and roll pumping somewhere beneath and melodic in its own right, although not in the Carcass-y sense of the word. It's my ultimate workout music haha.
I've heard that they sound like old Entombed, but quite frankly not to my ear, that's not what I'm looking for here..
As most listener praise this band for their "old school sound" I hope you can recommend something in a similar vein.
Thanks!

Yes I can. Have you heard of Bastard Priest? Pure downtuned, punk/crust (maybe) influenced death metal of the highest order. I cannot recommend both albums highly enough, or the demo (which is tacked on to the end of the debut. Nice). Fuckin' ripping stuff. Here ya go;

Perhaps Acephalix from the US might have something for you as well. Labelled as death/crust, they have some of that old school vibe, but personally not as good as Bastard Priest. Still okay though...

Bombs of Hades might be up your alley too. Pretty wicked stuff.

My collection

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:13 pm 

Been playing this one a lot the last few days. Degial is a Swedish death metal band and they released their second album on Christmas day. They play vicious thrashy death metal that is a bit blackened in the vein of Repugnant and Tribulation's first album. I haven't gotten around to doing a best of 2015 list, but this one will be towards the top.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:13 pm 

New Degial album?! Nice. I liked Death's Striking Wings a lot, and the 7" was pretty cool as well. Will have to buy me a copy.

My collection

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:02 pm 

Anyone have heard this: Abyssus - Into the Abyss? Very influenced by Obituary, and with some hints of Asphyx and swedeath. Beeing playing it a lot in the last couple weeks, one of my fav DM from last year.

Also I have two requests, so here we go:
1. Albums similar to Carcass - Necroticism? Never heard anything close to it, but I bet that there are some copycat bands playing it. And it's just me or there's a strong prog vibe in this album?
2. Melodic death/doom, but not the Gothemburg stuff or Swallow the Sun/October Tide style. Something evil and atmospheric, full of "cryptic melodies" to give me shivers in my spine.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:52 pm 

Your second request makes immediatly think about the finnish band Unholy: their first two albums are almost like a twisted, more evil katatonia.. their second album is my favorite: from the half of the fist track you know you are into a trip to darkness!

The first Septic Flesh album may also work: it has a really suffocating, mystical atmosphere

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:45 am 

i am listening to Denial Catacombs of the Grotesque
apparently quite highly rated but it doesnt strike me as that special, got a shitty guitar tone too.

unholy to me is kinda the in between point between these dutch doom/death bands and various other early 90s extreme doom stuff. Quite unique because of it.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:06 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Your second request makes immediatly think about the finnish band Unholy: their first two albums are almost like a twisted, more evil katatonia.. their second album is my favorite: from the half of the fist track you know you are into a trip to darkness!

That very much sounds like a recommendation I will borrow :)

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

IcIkte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:03 pm 

Looking for slightly off kilter DM similar to Howls of Ebb/Ævangelist/StarGazer/Maudlin of the Well & Kayo Dot(obviously the more metal portions of Leaving Your Body Map/Bath/Choirs of the Eye/Hubardo)/Ehnahre. I am a huge fan of Portal, Impetuous Ritual & Abyssal, but anymore it seems bands following that specific style have become overwhelming in numbers and it's nigh impossible to sift through the muck to find something worth investing time in.

any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 ... 290  Next