Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:24 am 

Abominatrix, did you ever give a listen to any of those bands I (and others) mentioned for you?

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:18 pm 

I'm looking for a band that makes extensive use of tremolo picking. And by that, I don't mean melodeath/Amon Amarth type trem.

Maybe something along the lines of Decaying Purity, but less brutal death and more speed/technical.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:21 pm 

Apophis' riffs were mostly tremolo-picked, if my memory is correct (I'm talking about Heliopolis). Other than that, early At The Gates, though you would know it.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Apophis' riffs were mostly tremolo-picked, if my memory is correct (I'm talking about Heliopolis). Other than that, early At The Gates, though you would know it.

Thanks, I'll check out Apophis.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:42 pm 

I'm not shure if this is the right rec thread for this but...

What I'm looking for is Crust Punk with very harsh vocals, Warcollapse are the only band who I can find.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 pm 

iAm wrote:
I'm not shure if this is the right rec thread for this but...

What I'm looking for is Crust Punk with very harsh vocals, Warcollapse are the only band who I can find.

This is certainly not the right thread, unless you want crust/death metal(provided it even exists).
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:28 pm 

Could someone recommend me death/black metal in the vein of Belphegor or Nefastüs Diès. Nefastüs Diès has a little tiny bit of deathcore in them, but overall they have the death/black sound. I want it has hateful or brutal as possible. I don't care about the production as long as it has the feeling stated above. Nefastüs Diès's debut is very hateful (like most Canadian metal). All of Belphegors discography has what I'm looking for and I'm sure you all know how it sounds.

Also, I don't care about what the lyrical themes are.

Thank you all in advance.

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
Could someone recommend me death/black metal in the vein of Belphegor or Nefastüs Diès. Nefastüs Diès has a little tiny bit of deathcore in them, but overall they have the death/black sound. I want it has hateful or brutal as possible. I don't care about the production as long as it has the feeling stated above. Nefastüs Diès's debut is very hateful (like most Canadian metal). All of Belphegors discography has what I'm looking for and I'm sure you all know how it sounds.

AZARATH!!!!! I've already mentioned them in this thread, but they never get old haha. Also Behemoth (Azarath is a side project of Inferno's), although I'm sure you've heard of them before.

Also Order from Chaos, Myrkskog and Arkhon Infaustus.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:29 am 

frozenaeons wrote:
I'm looking for a band that makes extensive use of tremolo picking. And by that, I don't mean melodeath/Amon Amarth type trem.

Maybe something along the lines of Decaying Purity, but less brutal death and more speed/technical.

http://www.myspace.com/decomposedgod ?

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:50 am 

Mr_Lender wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:

AZARATH!!!!! I've already mentioned them in this thread, but they never get old haha. Also Behemoth (Azarath is a side project of Inferno's), although I'm sure you've heard of them before.

You may also want to add 1349, Anaal Nathrakh, and Angelcorpse, that is, if you haven't already.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:50 am 

Psycrypt wrote:
Mr_Lender wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:

You may also want to add 1349, Anaal Nathrakh, and Angelcorpse, that is, if you haven't already.

I second Angelcorpse and suggest you give a listen to God Dethroned too.

Quote:
Does anyone have some recommendations of similar (or just as good) band as Cartilage of Finland especially music in the vein of their split with Altar?

You might want to check Abhoth's Forever to be Vanished There In demo, and Old funeral.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:11 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Abominatrix, did you ever give a listen to any of those bands I (and others) mentioned for you?

Not yet. Hopefully I'll have time to poke around the internet for stuff to download from some of these over teh weekend.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:15 pm 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
Already got that one, but I prefer Brave Murder Day. BMD has a thicker production that really works with the music and I just love Mikael's voice. I also really like it that they threw an outstanding, post-punkish song in the album.

Get the 2 OCTOBER TIDE releases.

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:23 pm 

Kruel wrote:
I'll leave what is death metal or not to the contributors of the thread. Some people might request recommendations for melodead, deathcore, deathgrind, black/death, death/thrash, etc. If you want to give recommendations to those requests, go ahead. If you don't consider them to be death metal, then ignore the post rather than start a discussion on what death metal is in the middle of the thread. But of course, the requestors should also use common sense and not make requests on styles completely unrealated to death metal.

Here is my first request: can anybody recommend me old school death metal with great vocals, like Asphyx, Obituary, and Pentacle? I can't exactly describe the vocal style except that they are more high-pitched than the usual death growls, but I think the mention of those bands will give you an idea on what type of vocals I am looking for.

I would suggest Massacra the most. They are one of my favorite Death Metal bands. Dismember is also quite ace, especially their work on the album "The God That Never Was."

Other Recommendations:
Vader
Dies Irae
Jungle Rot

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:00 am 

Qwerr wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have some recommendations of similar (or just as good) band as Cartilage of Finland especially music in the vein of their split with Altar?
You might want to check Abhoth's Forever to be Vanished There In demo, and Old funeral.

Thanks but I'm already familiar with both of those bands, but thanks for the recommendation anyway.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:20 am 

Any used keyboard parts on Consuming Impulse by Pestilence?

BawintheMetalNinja
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:50 pm 

Hi guys, I'm looking for some death metal with an epic feel similar to Amon Amarth, but a little more brutal, kinda in vein of Behemoth. Epic and atmospheric at times is a plus, but no/few keyboard use.

I mention Amon Amarth especially for their lyrical themes (Norse mythology), because I love bands with lyrics about warriors, dragons, orcs, trolls, whatever...its badass.
So I guess what I'm really looking for is a melodic death band with a dash of brutal death thrown in, with fantasy oriented lyrics.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:39 pm 

BawintheMetalNinja wrote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for some death metal with an epic feel similar to Amon Amarth, but a little more brutal, kinda in vein of Behemoth. Epic and atmospheric at times is a plus, but no/few keyboard use.

I mention Amon Amarth especially for their lyrical themes (Norse mythology), because I love bands with lyrics about warriors, dragons, orcs, trolls, whatever...its badass.
So I guess what I'm really looking for is a melodic death band with a dash of brutal death thrown in, with fantasy oriented lyrics.

Edge of Sanity - You'll really like them I think. Melodic Death Metal with a tinge of progressive. Although, they don't have lyrics about vikings.'

That's the only thing I got right now. I need some sleep.

wagontrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:44 pm 

BawintheMetalNinja wrote:

Kronos

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:33 am 

I've noticed that when I listen to death metal bands from Poland (Vader, Decapitated, Hate, etc.), they all seem to have a similar sound, or playing style. Or at least, it sounds that way to me.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some bands that play in a similar style, or at least some bands from Poland that are as good as the ones I've mentioned.

If this is too generic a request, let me know, and I shall add to it accordingly.

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:23 am 

DiscoDan wrote:
I've noticed that when I listen to death metal bands from Poland (Vader, Decapitated, Hate, etc.), they all seem to have a similar sound, or playing style. Or at least, it sounds that way to me.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some bands that play in a similar style, or at least some bands from Poland that are as good as the ones I've mentioned.

If this is too generic a request, let me know, and I shall add to it accordingly.

I got into a lot of Polish extreme metal as a result of a DVD/CD that was released featuring the best of the best (allegedly). It's called Metal Mind: Ultimate Revenge. Check the tracklisting for that to see what's out there.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5314566

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:32 am 

DiscoDan wrote:

Try these bands :

Dies Irae - Any album(not to be confused with the Romanian black metal band)
Bloodbath - Unblessing the Purity [EP]

They have the sound you've mentioned. It's the composition style, plus the production. Cheers, lemme know if these worked.

volkerds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:19 am 

looking for some Fast as hell technical death

some stuff like braindrill

any suggestions?

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:23 am 

Internal Suffering. Probably the only band that I like that plays that style.

J1993B
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:18 am 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:
Chrystus wrote:
For my second request, I would like something 'necro' sounding. Like Vader's "Necrolust" demo. I love the vocals on "Necrolust," they sound very raw and raspy as if the singer has a sore throat, and forces out screams and shouts. And as for the guitars, well I don't think guitars were even used, it sounds more like a turbo injected chainsaw that spews nothing but aggressive riffs than a guitar. So, to sum it up, I would like something raw and aggressive with 'buzzsaw' like guitars.

Decapitated, maybe?

Yeah, Decapitated seems like a new version of Vader.

That's a good thing. :wink:

But if you do get into Decapitated, I recommend you start with Nihility.
Poetry

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 pm 

J1993B wrote:

Umm, no.

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:59 pm 

Prodd wrote:
Try these bands :

Dies Irae - Any album(not to be confused with the Romanian black metal band)
Bloodbath - Unblessing the Purity [EP]

They have the sound you've mentioned. It's the composition style, plus the production. Cheers, lemme know if these worked.

You have created another Dies Irae fan with that recommendation :)

Thank you very much.

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:10 pm 

Prodd wrote:
J1993B wrote:

Umm, no.

Yea...they're really not...

J1993B
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm 

DiscoDan wrote:
Prodd wrote:
J1993B wrote:

Umm, no.

Yea...they're really not...

Listen to the song Nihility and then tell me that they sound nothing like Vader. I'm talking about the guitar work by the way...
Poetry

Nguruvilu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:09 am 

Hello all,

I am requesting something along the lines of old school technical/progressive death metal. The most prominent example I can give is Timeghoul, sorry if I am being too vague.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:20 am 

Can someone recommend me some death metal which utilizes rather humorous anti-Christian lyrics (an example would be Nunslaughter)? No brutal death metal or anything like that, though, as I am not very fond of it.

rustyslacker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 am 

Foxx wrote:
Can someone recommend me some death metal which utilizes rather humorous anti-Christian lyrics (an example would be Nunslaughter)? No brutal death metal or anything like that, though, as I am not very fond of it.

Aeon!

J1993B
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 am 

What exactly describes 'Brutal' Death Metal?
Poetry

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:27 pm 

We've already discussed that, but, as Pathological_Frolic somewhat put it, it is Death Metal that relies less on musicality (Like what you would find with Death or Disincarnate) and more by pummeling the listener to hell and back (Like you would find with Vomit Remnants or Guttural Secrete).

CodyH
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35 pm 

Any bands that musically sound very similar to Dethklok?

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:53 pm 

Nguruvilu wrote:
Hello all,

I am requesting something along the lines of old school technical/progressive death metal. The most prominent example I can give is Timeghoul, sorry if I am being too vague.

Cynic
Esqarial (excellent band from Poland, start with "Discoveries").
Atheist
Edge of Sanity (the two Crimson albums)
Textures
Nocturnus (sort of.. but they are pretty technical)

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:29 pm 

Psycrypt wrote:
We've already discussed that, but, as Pathological_Frolic somewhat put it, it is Death Metal that relies less on musicality (Like what you would find with Death or Disincarnate) and more by pummeling the listener to hell and back (Like you would find with Vomit Remnants or Guttural Secrete).

Not exactly. The way I put it was that the grind influences in Brutal Death Metal overpower the thrash influences to the point of mitigating them almost completely (In the case of the current bands, at least). I would consider Gorgasm to be of more musicality than Disincarnate; it's all about execution.

MMM88 wrote:
Nguruvilu wrote:
Hello all,

Cynic
Atheist
Textures

Add to this HellWitch, because HellWitch is awesome.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:36 pm 

CodyH wrote:

Wrong thread
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

CodyH
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:40 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
CodyH wrote:

Wrong thread

What thread would this belong in then?

Nguruvilu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:54 am 

MMM88 wrote:
Nguruvilu wrote:
Hello all,

Cynic
Atheist
Textures

Thanks for the recommendations. Most of these I already know but I will check out Esqarial and Textures. Cheers.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 289  Next