Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kuranes Trevor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:14 am 

Bleak731 wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some old school death metal with dark melodic sections. Something like these

Hetsheads- For His Sake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8i4tSJl2c

Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJFlCRJcC7M

Thanks in advance!

Maybe something like Burial Invocation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY8VCkHIXOk

Or Deus Otiosus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulLzX34Y94

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yo Tony, SLK does that all the time and no mod has ever called him on it.

I'm pretty sure tattle-tailing is frowned upon here.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:23 pm 

I do so in the spirit of fairness. Also, I haven't heard that expression since I was a child.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 am 

Necroticism174, when you encounter misconduct, you use the report function.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 pm 

I will do so in the future. I debated not posting about it, but now I can't edit my post and remove what I said because the genius that is AcidWorm quoted me and it will appear anyways.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:43 pm 

Yo, Alex, yeah use the report function. I'm not omniscient contrary to popular belief. I always tell the dudes who promote their own bands outside the Promo forum not to do it when I see it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:38 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I do so in the spirit of fairness. Also, I haven't heard that expression since I was a child.

I haven't seen the need to use it since I was a child. :roll:

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:17 pm 

Hello all. Thought I would try this thread instead of making a new one.

I am looking for highly atmospheric, cavernous Death Metal that is also experimental, challenging and unique. So not just typical Incantation/Immolation clones, but bands who have an influence in that sound but are striking out and doing something cool with it. I've been into Death Metal for... well a long fucking time, so I already know many of the artists working with this style. So I am looking to MA for assistance :D.

Here are some samples of the kind of bands I am talking about:
Impetuous Ritual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3q9O3HVcU
Muknal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7O3WSDJrNM
Grave Upheaval: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UuM2_bTQY
Sonne Adam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8QVB9iwZ8

As I said before, I am pretty well informed about the genre, so I am looking for some underground, less well known bands. Not trying to brag or be a jerk... just don't want to get rec'd Dead Congregation and Ulcerate :P

maesedelta7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:32 pm 

So, in hopes of not messing it up (and since this is the place where I should have gone first), here I go.

At first, the groove I'm asking for is a sound/rhythm that I somehow figured out in a certain song by Obituary, and then in Possessed.

Anyway, I'm asking if you could recommend me some songs with a similar groove like the ones featured in these songs:

Immolation - Swallow the Fear
Seance - Necronomicon
Climatic Terra - Expansion of Fire
Cryptopsy - Benedictine Convulsions
Asphyx - The Herald
Bolt Thrower - The Killchain

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:28 am 

maesedelta7 wrote:
So, in hopes of not messing it up (and since this is the place where I should have gone first), here I go.

At first, the groove I'm asking for is a sound/rhythm that I somehow figured out in a certain song by Obituary, and then in Possessed.

Anyway, I'm asking if you could recommend me some songs with a similar groove like the ones featured in these songs:

Seance - Necronomicon
Asphyx - The Herald

Maybe Jungle Rot and possibly Debauchery.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:03 am 

Please recommend me death metal in the vein of Obituary's Cause of Death. So basicly something little muddy midtempo death metal with competent players. I'm well aware of Bolt Thrower and Autopsy so no need to recommend them and I am definitely not looking for Autopsy-worship bands because that's kind of another thing.

Here's Chopped In Half for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQgCZasm ... ure=relmfu
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:59 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
Please recommend me death metal in the vein of Obituary's Cause of Death. So basicly something little muddy midtempo death metal with competent players. I'm well aware of Bolt Thrower and Autopsy so no need to recommend them and I am definitely not looking for Autopsy-worship bands because that's kind of another thing.

Here's Chopped In Half for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQgCZasm ... ure=relmfu

Bloodsoaked

whorewithachainsaw
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:32 am 

These guys have an old school death feel, even though the album was released only last year...

'Broken Gravestones'

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie; http://youtu.be/mFtVMvrkkdQ

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 am 

maesedelta7 wrote:

Seance - Necronomicon
Asphyx - The Herald

Panzerchrist - Creature
Zyklon - Psyklon Aeon
Oshiego--->(again with the shameless self-promotion) - Blood Omen
Vader - Devilizer
The Wretched End - Death By Nature
Torture Division - We Are Torture Division/Invoking The Knifer/Double Barrelled Remedy <------Highly recommended !!

Jimrat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:05 pm 

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend me some Brutal DM along the lines of the Limb Splitter EP?

I discovered this recently and absolutely loved it, but haven't been able to find much else comparable. The obvious starting point was other releases by the bands featured on the split and other releases on the label (Ossuary Industries):

Sect of Execration haven't done much else except for the 'Baptized Through Blasphemy' EP which was good, but short lived and lacking something that their tracks on Limb Splitter had.

Sarcolytic's 'Thee Arcane Progeny' is, in fairness, amazing - but it takes quite a different direction to their stuff on Limb Splitter, focusing less on brutality and more on technicality - not a bad thing by any means, but it makes for quite a different listening experience.

Godless Truth don't appear to have done much else, and while Devourment's 'Deflesh the Abducted' is IMO one of their best tracks and one of my favourite BDM songs ever, their version of it for 'Unleash The Carnivore' seemed overproduced, whereas the grittiness of the production on the Limp Splitter EP is one of the things that I love about it.

I also checked out the Ossuary Industries compilation 'Limb Splitter II' with high hopes only to be extremely disappointed - it lacked everything that made the first great IMO - overproduced to the point of losing all atmosphere and presenting a sort of watered down brand of BDM that lacked all of the technicality, precision and sheer impact of the first. I was really disappointed!

As a result of that I never really checked out any of the other releases on the label, that compilation kind of put me off it.

Anyway, can anyone recommend something along the lines of the above?

Many thanks!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:16 pm 

Jimrat wrote:
Hi all,

I discovered this recently and absolutely loved it, but haven't been able to find much else comparable. The obvious starting point was other releases by the bands featured on the split and other releases on the label (Ossuary Industries):

Sect of Execration haven't done much else except for the 'Baptized Through Blasphemy' EP which was good, but short lived and lacking something that their tracks on Limb Splitter had.

Sarcolytic's 'Thee Arcane Progeny' is, in fairness, amazing - but it takes quite a different direction to their stuff on Limb Splitter, focusing less on brutality and more on technicality - not a bad thing by any means, but it makes for quite a different listening experience.

Godless Truth don't appear to have done much else, and while Devourment's 'Deflesh the Abducted' is IMO one of their best tracks and one of my favourite BDM songs ever, their version of it for 'Unleash The Carnivore' seemed overproduced, whereas the grittiness of the production on the Limp Splitter EP is one of the things that I love about it.

I also checked out the Ossuary Industries compilation 'Limb Splitter II' with high hopes only to be extremely disappointed - it lacked everything that made the first great IMO - overproduced to the point of losing all atmosphere and presenting a sort of watered down brand of BDM that lacked all of the technicality, precision and sheer impact of the first. I was really disappointed!

As a result of that I never really checked out any of the other releases on the label, that compilation kind of put me off it.

Many thanks!

Generally, almost any band from sevared.com

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:16 pm 

Jimrat wrote:
Hi all,

Many thanks!

I would say look through or maybe even ask in the brutal death metal thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

For a specific recommendation, I'd say Cerebral Effusion, Despondency and 7 H. Target, or for something a little older, Digested Flesh.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:56 pm 

Can you guys recommend me some death metal with some catchy heavy metal-ish riffs? Something like Arghoslent, minus the racist lyrics please. :-D

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:49 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Can you guys recommend me some death metal with some catchy heavy metal-ish riffs? Something like Arghoslent, minus the racist lyrics please. :-D

Try to find Mi'Gauss - Open Season CD. You will like it.

And then check out Dutch Shadowbreed and their killer "Only Shadows Remain" LP/CD. Same maidenesque twin guitar melodies mixed with Death Metal and a partly similar vocal style (bit deeper, so more Death Metal alike). A couple of fantastic songs, where at least 2 or 3 could have been on Galloping Through The Battle Ruins. Just ignore the first track on the LP/CD which is the most average one (don't know why the band has decided that this song should have been the opener). That ruined it for me years ago when I listened to the vinyl for the first time. But now I checked it out again and it is a definite grower. Best Painkiller Records release.

Cheeselord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:46 pm 

I'm looking for bands with a decent sized discography of good albums, preferably Swedeath or Floridian. I know obvious bands like MA, Dismember, Desultory, and so forth.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:10 pm 

Hi guys, I'm looking for death metal vocalists like Travis from Cattle Decapitation, and Jason from Akercocke, I know, they are not really the same style, but, both seem to have a very extended range and variety in their performances, so, thats what I'm after. The instrumentation should be death metal mostly, but some black, grind or whaterver is also fine, and I'll like a decent production.

Thanks. :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 pm 

Can anyone rec anything along the lines of Thou Shalt Suffer's Into the Woods of Belial demo? It's got a rather unique sound to it, with that particular use of keyboards, the sort of frogmen-celebrate-the-rites-of-the-dark-magic-in-a-cave atmosphere. Doesn't remind me of a whole lot else, at least in the details.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 pm 

Cheeselord wrote:
I'm looking for bands with a decent sized discography of good albums, preferably Swedeath or Floridian. I know obvious bands like MA, Dismember, Desultory, and so forth.

Insision, Interment, Aeon, and Vomitory for some Swedeath recs.

Hate Eternal might be too obvoius. Maybe also (Californian) Abysmal Dawn.

Responses to those may allow us to help you further, as well.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:32 pm 

Cheeselord wrote:

Unleashed.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:53 pm 

Anyone can recommend me some good bands or Cds form old school death metal bands? or something like:
Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back To Life era
Decide - Deicide or Legion era
Obituary - Slowly We Rot or Cause Of Death
etc.
something like those albums or eras of those bands

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:09 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
Anyone can recommend me some good bands or Cds form old school death metal bands? or something like:
etc.
Maybe try Gutted. nice audible bass, great vocals, and a lot of good groove going on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fc2Y6BT ... re=related

Also gotta give a nod to Baphomet, one of my favorite OSDM bands. again, nice bass and excellent groovy riffs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MWrvJu8zg

Num Skull is a good death/thrash band. nothing that special, but like the other two bands, theres good groove and a nice bit of heaviness to their sound. well produced as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nQGjtRzmo

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:15 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for death metal vocalists like Travis from Cattle Decapitation, and Jason from Akercocke, I know, they are not really the same style, but, both seem to have a very extended range and variety in their performances, so, thats what I'm after. The instrumentation should be death metal mostly, but some black, grind or whaterver is also fine, and I'll like a decent production.

Well, you can always try Psycroptic. They're a well known tech death band but if you havent listened to them much, the vocals from the first few albums are pretty varied. Heres a link from an album where Matthew Chalk was their vocalist : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJhTSeWKWI
Then here's one where Jason Peppiat, their current vocalist took over. The album this is from, Symbols of Failure, is his best performance, because since then, he's moved to a more screamy, hardcore style, quite different from his work on this album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ks03EUmPeY

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:57 pm 

Psytopsy wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

Well, you can always try Psycroptic. They're a well known tech death band but if you havent listened to them much, the vocals from the first few albums are pretty varied. Heres a link from an album where Matthew Chalk was their vocalist : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJhTSeWKWI
Then here's one where Jason Peppiat, their current vocalist took over. The album this is from, Symbols of Failure, is his best performance, because since then, he's moved to a more screamy, hardcore style, quite different from his work on this album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ks03EUmPeY

Great call. Psycroptic should be among the closest to Cattle Decapitation vocal wise.

I would also add Aborted, particularly their latest album Global Flatline, and also Benighted and their album Asylum Cave.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 pm 

Psytopsy wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:
etc.
Maybe try Gutted. nice audible bass, great vocals, and a lot of good groove going on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fc2Y6BT ... re=related

Also gotta give a nod to Baphomet, one of my favorite OSDM bands. again, nice bass and excellent groovy riffs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MWrvJu8zg

Num Skull is a good death/thrash band. nothing that special, but like the other two bands, theres good groove and a nice bit of heaviness to their sound. well produced as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nQGjtRzmo

dude those bands are really awesome, if you know other ones let me know

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:34 pm 

Thanks, but I already know and LOVE Psycroptic, Chalky is one of my favorite death metal singers of all time.

I'll be checking some Aborted. Thanks. :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Last edited by IntoNevermore on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:15 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
etc.

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:39 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
etc.

Well, there's quite a lot of hidden gems if you're willing to dig a bit.. here are a few of the more obvious ones:

Morpheus Descends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aao3B0fZRQc
Infester: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfcNt8iZDTk
Monstrosity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTiVbp0_oc

And a few more.. some are a bit more thrashy, some a bit more technical, but they're definitely all good.

Crucifixion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgdnwoJQ1vs
Mortification: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu4KTS3iNGc
Benediction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2dDIfCnJo
Disincarnate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlwYmrcW_0
Eletrocution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufItX04CM68
Resurrection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DSktz15UYg

I'm sure you'll find a couple of things you like here.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:40 am 

Mechanix 11, sorry, i'm having problems with the quote and edit functions.
These may be too obvious and aren't necessarily similar to the bands you mentioned but are very good albums from the same era:
Bolt Thrower - IVth Crusade
Creepmime - Shadows
Depravity - Silence of the Centuries
Electrocution - Inside the Unreal
Gorement - The Ending Quest
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth
Purtenance - Member of Eternal Damnation

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:36 am 

Bloodsoaked- http://youtu.be/_yNQ-YlNzys
If you like that, you'll like Plague Angel
http://youtu.be/S0VQa0MS8GM
Both are early 90's death metal influenced, especially with obituary

Cheeselord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Cheeselord wrote:

Insision, Interment, Aeon, and Vomitory for some Swedeath recs.

Hate Eternal might be too obvoius. Maybe also (Californian) Abysmal Dawn.

Responses to those may allow us to help you further, as well.

I know Interment, Vomitory, and Hate Eternal. I'm not looking for brutal death, so no Abysmal Dawn or Aeon.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:07 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
etc.

OSDM is my thing, so i can recommend a lot haha

Rottrevore is one of the heaviest OSDM bands i know, and its mainly due to the thick fuzzy bass sound they have. vocals are nice and guttural too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0urHjCh2g

Mangled Torsos is another heavy band with pretty deep gutturals. They lean more towards death/doom and have clean guitar and acoustic guitar sections occasionally. It's not straightforward OSDM like the other bands, but they're great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3ZdfLbang

Banished is Baphomet after they had to change their name, so its essentially the same band. I don't think they're as good as when they were Baphomet because the vocals got a little more "thrashy" to me.but still a quality band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkwdkkiGcWo

I'll also mention Excision. not a well known group, very overlooked. They dabble with atmospherics and don't use the violence and gore cliche like other bands do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBIi3r9fNEY

you can always PM me for more recommended bands. i don't want to flood you with too many at once :p

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:45 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
etc.

This is all you need.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66235&

Marlboro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:13 am 

Hey guys. I'm looking for brutally heavy and bass-driven death metal to check my new sound system in my car. Some death metal seems to suffer from a lack of bass, but luckily we've got some heavily bassy stuff like "Domination" as well. Any suggestions?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:23 am 

Guess an obvious suggestion for ya would be Disma, Marlboro. Filthy, cavernous and bassy as all hell. If this doesn't put to the test your new sound system's capacity, I don't know what will.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 am 

Marlboro wrote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for brutally heavy and bass-driven death metal to check my new sound system in my car. Some death metal seems to suffer from a lack of bass, but luckily we've got some heavily bassy stuff like "Domination" as well. Any suggestions?
Look up a few posts, and check out my Rottrevore rec. definitely bass heavy and when you blast it, its a subwoofer killer :P can't go wrong with Grave's Into the Grave either, or Jungle Rot's Dead and Buried

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 290  Next