Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:39 pm 

hey, all.

Are there death metal concept albums? I haven't heard of any, but my experience is not exactly broad.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:48 pm 

Maybe Unleashed?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:59 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
hey, all.

Are there death metal concept albums? I haven't heard of any, but my experience is not exactly broad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6lJaiHYIc

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:51 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
hey, all.

Nocturnus - The Key - Fantastic Sci-fi based concept album of OSDM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGg11znHPA8

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:55 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Looking for Death Metal with heavy influences from 80's/early 90's NYHC. Suffocation's a bit too quick and technical to count. And no, not a single slam band fits this request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2i3hqxTaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SioCIyImKXs

Only thing I could think of might be something like fear emptiness despair era Napalm Death

Xibalba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqlhsFKrA0

Disgrace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOcuzErHSn4

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 pm 

I'm looking for bands/songs similar these. Specifically, the shouted/somewhat understandable vocals.

Thanks!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:12 pm 

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:09 am 

Drowned wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Looking for stuff In the vein of early (pre North from Here) era Sentenced. Think of recognizable old school midpaced doom-y death metal with the occasional use of keyboards, low but still coherent growls and a vague sense of gloom.

A really obvious one is Morgoth's Cursed, but I'm sure you're already familiar with it.

Some other recommendations:

I'm actually not familiar with Morgoth. Some of those links sounded pretty promising. Thanks!

I discovered Utumno's Across the Horizons some days ago. Yet another Swedish gem I hadn't heard of before!

Incariuz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:41 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
I'm looking for bands/songs similar these. Specifically, the shouted/somewhat understandable vocals.

Thanks!

Ok, here's a bunch of bands. Not sure if some may be overboard, or if any will even be what you're looking for, but I tried to muster as much from my brain, as similar to what you want as I could right now. Most of these I don't listen too anymore, but I have over the years, and I was a reasonable CoB fan for awhile myself. Of course there is a good chance you've heard a majority of these, but can't be certain so I listed anyway.

Spoiler: show

If any was to your liking and you want more, let me know. Be patient with me though, I'll have to dig through boxes and old playlists online to refresh my memory, lol.

Incariuz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:37 pm 

Sorry for the double post guys, but decided to see if anyone could help me find some new interesting bands... Here some bands I'm into, anything similar to these would be great. Sorry for long list, hard to chose which ones I want up most, lol.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:17 pm 

Thanks for the help! I'm new to death metal, so I don't know many bands yet.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:21 pm 

Incariuz, I doubt you're going to get any responses. The bands you just posted are all over the place stylistically. The only common threads are "death metal" and maybe "modern"? I dunno, listen to Bolt Thrower.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 pm 

You should all listen to the new Sarpanitum album and be happy :nods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgC8Ig1 ... fOaM7bgnIm

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:36 am 

^ They seem to have removed the videos from there but one can stream the new Sarpantium album here - https://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/bl ... y-brothers

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:01 pm 

Incariuz wrote:
Sorry for the double post guys, but decided to see if anyone could help me find some new interesting bands... Here some bands I'm into, anything similar to these would be great. Sorry for long list, hard to chose which ones I want up most, lol.

Since I have six of those albums, I'll give it a shot. These have got to fit in there somewhere :-P

I Chaos - The Human Repellent

Man Must Die - No Tolerance for Imperfection

Kadavar - Kadavar

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:30 am 

Been listening to quite a bit of Embrace of Thorns recently, especially Atonement Ritual and Praying for Absolution, and have been really enjoying their brand of blackened death metal. These albums strike a really good balance between meaty, no-nonsense goatmaster riffs and a more nuanced, macabre mentality. Anyone have any recommendations for similar artists? A lot of blackened death I come across tends to be either too clean in terms of production or simply too artistically bland, while EoT has a more subtly depraved, fertile vibe to it. Anything that comes to mind is appreciated!

I also just noticed Embrace of Thorns has got a DM side project by the name of Cthonic Aura that looks quite interesting, but nothing listenable online...

^Hah, that Sarpanitum album is crazy. Tech death isn't usually my thing at all but there's definitely something special about what they've got going there. Pretty visionary stuff with tons of detail. Will have to look into their earlier material as well.

Incariuz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:44 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
Thanks for the help! I'm new to death metal, so I don't know many bands yet.

That's cool, means you have a world full of amazing bands to discover.

iamntbatman wrote:
Incariuz, I doubt you're going to get any responses. The bands you just posted are all over the place stylistically. The only common threads are "death metal" and maybe "modern"? I dunno, listen to Bolt Thrower.

Already listen to them, but thanks.

Smitty wrote:
Incariuz wrote:

Since I have six of those albums, I'll give it a shot. These have got to fit in there somewhere :-P

I Chaos - The Human Repellent

Man Must Die - No Tolerance for Imperfection

Kadavar - Kadavar

All 3 of those were awesome, thanks. Not sure if it's just me, but Kadavar really made me think of older Kataklysm, right after listening to it, I had to go hit up some In Shadows and Dust. If you have anymore recommendations I'd love to hear.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:47 pm 

Incariuz wrote:
All 3 of those were awesome, thanks. Not sure if it's just me, but Kadavar really made me think of older Kataklysm, right after listening to it, I had to go hit up some In Shadows and Dust. If you have anymore recommendations I'd love to hear.

Sorry, I'm tapped out of the non-obvious stuff. The bulk of my DM collection tends to lean to the groovier or more mid-paced side than the previous recs. I'm not sure how aware you are of a few older ones that fit your mold, so I'll just throw them out there. If you have any interest in mid-paced stuff let me know.

Monstrosity - Millenium

Eternal Solstice - The Wish Is Father To The Thought

If you like Kataklysm, the following to me sounds spot on to Kataklysm's Serenity in Fire. They certainly aren't obscure, but if you're like many people you might have ignored them after the first two albums and not given them another chance.
Malevolent Creation - Warkult

Also, Tim Lambesis' death metal EP probably fits your tastes.
Pyrithion - The Burden of Sorrow

BTW, if you like Man Must Die, you should listen to their latest. It's a technical masterpiece.
Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option

Incariuz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:50 pm 

Smitty wrote:
Incariuz wrote:

Sorry, I'm tapped out of the non-obvious stuff. The bulk of my DM collection tends to lean to the groovier or more mid-paced side than the previous recs. I'm not sure how aware you are of a few older ones that fit your mold, so I'll just throw them out there. If you have any interest in mid-paced stuff let me know.

Monstrosity - Millenium

Eternal Solstice - The Wish Is Father To The Thought

If you like Kataklysm, the following to me sounds spot on to Kataklysm's Serenity in Fire. They certainly aren't obscure, but if you're like many people you might have ignored them after the first two albums and not given them another chance.
Malevolent Creation - Warkult

Also, Tim Lambesis' death metal EP probably fits your tastes.
Pyrithion - The Burden of Sorrow

BTW, if you like Man Must Die, you should listen to their latest. It's a technical masterpiece.
Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option

Thanks again. I know I listened to Malevolent Creation for awhile years back, not sure why I stopped listening to them, and honestly don't remember any of their work, but I'll dig through some of the newer albums and see if they spark some interest. That last song from Man Must Die was my favorite out of all of them, had a really nice blend of melodic and technical, think I'll get pretty hooked to them. If you're willing to toss some groovier stuff and so on my way I wouldn't complain. I'm pretty open with all the styles and genres of metal. Stuff I posted is just what I listen to most these days because the last 2 years I'm having horrible luck finding stuff I enjoy, and I've overplayed a lot of other bands.

Edit: Might not check back here for awhile though, so don't go out of your way in a rush or anything if you do decide to share some stuff.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:50 pm 

Incariuz wrote:
If you're willing to toss some groovier stuff and so on my way I wouldn't complain. I'm pretty open with all the styles and genres of metal. Stuff I posted is just what I listen to most these days because the last 2 years I'm having horrible luck finding stuff I enjoy, and I've overplayed a lot of other bands.

I know what you mean. A lot of death metal has gone dissonant. Not my thing.

OK, mid-paced stuff ...

Synthetic Torture - The Prediction of Ailment

Insepulto - Morbid Spawn of Resurrection

Insepulto - The Necrodex

Infestdead - JesuSatan

Necropsy - Deathprayer

Dehumanized - Controlled Elite

Benediction - Killing Music

Ferocity - The Sovereign

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:33 pm 

Incariuz wrote:

These suggestions might be up your alley:
Unbirth

Ade

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:22 pm 

Hey everybody I'm looking for some seriously interesting "slamming brutal death metal". Technical, bizarre structures and innovative playing. I would be fine with extremely catchy/groovy technical brutal death metal but would prefer something with slam influence.

Best bands I can think of are 7 H. Target (their album Fast-Slow Demolition absolutely fits this request, along with their other 2) and although different, Dripping's "Disintegration of Thought Patterns..." might be another coordinate. Defeated Sanity and Wormed are good for their technicality and slams too, but really something more like 7 H. Target is the ideal, with their schizophrenic song structures and bouncy guitar slides and those "everybody stop and lets do weird upper-register gallops" parts. Basically weird slammy brutality.

While I love Epicardiectomy and Cephalotripsy (sometimes) I want something more interesting, you know? The new Abominable Putridity is NOT it.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:12 am 

I really can't think of anything quite like 7H Target. They are one of the few slam bands I enjoy and my favorite.

Try this album. It is technical brutal death metal and much better than anything else I have heard by them.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:45 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
hey, all.

From Hell - Ascent From Hell

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:20 am 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Hey everybody I'm looking for some seriously interesting "slamming brutal death metal". Technical, bizarre structures and innovative playing. I would be fine with extremely catchy/groovy technical brutal death metal but would prefer something with slam influence.

7H Target are pretty unique in the genre but a couple of things that may fit your interests:

Jenovavirus - Only one demo exists but its pretty awesome. Really strange creepy sounding Japanes slam, hard to explain so just give it a listen. The whole demo can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdc0ssOvs9I

Terminally Your Aborted Ghost - Slowly Peeling the Flesh From the Inside of a Folded Hand
Weird kinda brutal death/grind with some slam in there, reminds me of a less grinding Circle of Dead Children (also great if you like grind). They make use of some unusual slippery and higher register riffs. Their Inanimately Soundless ep is pretty cool as well but a bit less weird imo.

The Partisan Turbine - S/T
This one is basically deathcore, but they have a somewhat similar approach incorporating similarly squiggly riffs.

Infected Malignity - The Malignity Born From Despair
Infernal Revulsion - Dead but Breathing
These may be a stretch but worth a shot. Japanese slam with some unusual song-writing, frantic technical musicianship and strangely fast feeling breakdowns. Either way really good, Infernal Revulsion is pretty much Infected Malignity mk2.

Ariesvexic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:03 pm 

Hey everyone, I just recently started getting into Portal especially the album vexovoid. Could anyone recommend bands of a similar style?

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:18 pm 

Ariesvexic wrote:
Hey everyone, I just recently started getting into Portal especially the album vexovoid. Could anyone recommend bands of a similar style?

I would suggest looking at the similar artists tab for Portal.

You might want to check out Ulcerate.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:20 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Been listening to quite a bit of Embrace of Thorns recently, especially Atonement Ritual and Praying for Absolution, and have been really enjoying their brand of blackened death metal. These albums strike a really good balance between meaty, no-nonsense goatmaster riffs and a more nuanced, macabre mentality. Anyone have any recommendations for similar artists? A lot of blackened death I come across tends to be either too clean in terms of production or simply too artistically bland, while EoT has a more subtly depraved, fertile vibe to it. Anything that comes to mind is appreciated!

Yo starmere! Embrace of Thorns are quite excellent indeed, nice to hear you digging them. As for similar recommendations (though you may have heard these) I'll throw a couple your way, some of these are clearly more death metal though.

The first and most obvious one that comes to my mind is Germany's Drowned. The Viscera Terræ demo immediately comes to mind for me, especially this track.

Abyssic Dead They Sing For Me

The full length also has some dank gloom infused through it too.

Black Projection
Letzter teilbarer strahl

Again from Germany is Charon. Oppressive and bleakly devastating, with some crushing atmosphere. Perhaps a little too off this rec though...

Sulfur Seraph
Flagellum Horribils

To Israel now with Sonne Adam. The ep Doctrines Of Dark Devotion is quite remarkable I think over the Transformation album.

Hater Of Mankind
Olam Belehavoth

Qrixxkuor also springs to mind with their Consecration of the Temple demo.

Morte Datores

Hopefully these got somewhere near the mark, or I may have missed it completely haha I'm assuming you have also checked the similar artists tab, so I won't go there eh? But by all means, I do urge that you check out their side project Impure Worship. That is some damn good black/death indeed. Phew! What a barbaric, filthy rush!

My collection

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:55 am 

THERE he is. Don't see the guy for ages and then BAM! A great big load of awesome. Nice to see ya, Crushed!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 am 

Haha thank you Wyrm. Likewise, and good to be back.

My collection

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:29 pm 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=121&v=h5ebxphanOY[/youtube]

:D

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:30 pm 

Im not sure this is the proper thread but I'm looking for more stuff like Sarcofago's Rotting album.

marktrait92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:41 am 

Hey everybody. I'm looking a death metal band, but can not remember where they came from. I only remember that they released two full-length albums, they lyrics are in Spanish and the lyrics are about to christianity. Maybe someone has an idea?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:38 am 

Thanks for the recs, Crushed! Most of these are familiar names but good nods nonetheless. I'd recently been meaning to revisit Charon, so I'll certainly do so.

Qrixkuor is a great new find for the DM dungeoncrawler, I must say! It takes the typical cavernous style and does something more nuanced and interesting with it. Love the swirling, smoky sound that churns up some oddly shaped and unpredictable riffs like some vortex of charnel fog. A really well developed demo that puts me in anticipation of a full-length!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:50 am 

marktrait92 wrote:
Hey everybody. I'm looking a death metal band, but can not remember where they came from. I only remember that they released two full-length albums, they lyrics are in Spanish and the lyrics are about to christianity. Maybe someone has an idea?

Anything else to go on? According to MA there's over 1,000 death metal bands with Christian lyrics.

Azmodes wrote:

marktrait92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:29 am 

I already checked it earlier. I know it's very poor information. They released the last full-length album probably in 2013 or 2014, but I'm not sure. On the cover of this album was a zombie or something similar to zombie.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Thanks for the recs, Crushed! Most of these are familiar names but good nods nonetheless. I'd recently been meaning to revisit Charon, so I'll certainly do so.

Qrixkuor is a great new find for the DM dungeoncrawler, I must say! It takes the typical cavernous style and does something more nuanced and interesting with it. Love the swirling, smoky sound that churns up some oddly shaped and unpredictable riffs like some vortex of charnel fog. A really well developed demo that puts me in anticipation of a full-length!

Glad I could sort of help there. As for Qrixxkuor, they are indeed a good find, and an interesting band to keep an eye on. A full length (or at the very least, an EP) will be something special I believe. Good stuff.

My collection

Drimys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:51 pm 

Hello looking for albums that are like Pestilence's spheres and Phantasmagory's Odd sounds. I realise these styles are pretty unique but just hopeful there is something else out there that approximates a style death metal band band With cheesy synths. Nocturnes like bands don't quite qualify owing to their more aggressive energy. I did find a cool album by the band caress return to the hospital that is also in a similar vein. Thanks for the help!

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:13 am 

I was never a big fan of Death metal, but I really dig FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE, any bands like this one out there?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:44 am 

Lensherr wrote:
I was never a big fan of Death metal, but I really dig FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE, any bands like this one out there?

Try the Canadian band Sympathy.

Azmodes wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235 ... 289  Next