Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:14 pm 

What would you recommend to a death metal noob like me? Currently the only stuff I really enjoy are Death's last two albums and Opeth if you can even consider those death metal. Cannibal Corpse seems decent so far since the riffs arent just slowly playing a few random notes in some atonal mess like most death I've heard.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:54 pm 

Have you listened to any Death pre-Symbolic? All of Cannibal's albums are great. You could start with their latest and work backwards.

Bolt Thrower is a great band.
Spoiler: show

Adramelech

Behemoth

Nile

Entombed

Dismember

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 pm 

You could also try some tech death, here's a couple different style:

Gorguts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW78R5VC1MU
Anata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ6Dm42zSec
Sarpanitum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgC8Ig1 ... fOaM7bgnIm

Or maybe Suffocation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLorNSZjcBI

Or just go balls out and listen Appalling Spawn.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goh--Jf ... 10B61EAF5D

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:30 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:
What would you recommend to a death metal noob like me? Currently the only stuff I really enjoy are Death's last two albums and Opeth if you can even consider those death metal. Cannibal Corpse seems decent so far since the riffs arent just slowly playing a few random notes in some atonal mess like most death I've heard.

Quite a wide spread between those progressive Death albums and Cannibal Corpse. Makes it kinda tough to recommend. Maybe something with some structure and accessibility, with maybe a pinch of thrashiness.

Kataklysm - In The Arms of Devastation

Cannibis Corpse - Tube Of The Resinated

Deicide - In the Mind of Evil

Abysmal Dawn - Obsolescence

Edge of Sanity - Crimson (Since you like a little progressive in your death, try this)

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:41 pm 

Smitty wrote:
BondedByBanjo wrote:

Quite a wide spread between those progressive Death albums and Cannibal Corpse. Makes it kinda tough to recommend. Maybe something with some structure and accessibility, with maybe a pinch of thrashiness.

Kataklysm - In The Arms of Devastation

Cannibis Corpse - Tube Of The Resinated

Deicide - In the Mind of Evil

Abysmal Dawn - Obsolescence

Edge of Sanity - Crimson (Since you like a little progressive in your death, try this)

I definitely like actual song structure. Stuff like Pleasure to Kill and Seven Churches is more of my thing. No longer thrash but not quite death

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:07 am 

BondedByBanjo wrote:
I definitely like actual song structure. Stuff like Pleasure to Kill and Seven Churches is more of my thing. No longer thrash but not quite death

Ah, so the other way 'round. Just a pinch of death.

Devastation - Idolatry

Protector - A Shedding of Skin

Revocation - Revocation

Legions of the Damned - Sons of the Jackal

Solstice - Solstice

Vader - Tibi et Igni (Just to up the death quotient a little bit)

Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:51 pm 

Lord Tempestuous wrote:
Albums that sound like Sororcide's The Entity? Really dark and atmospheric?

Don't think I got anything on this.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:09 am 

BondedByBanjo wrote:
What would you recommend to a death metal noob like me? Currently the only stuff I really enjoy are Death's last two albums and Opeth if you can even consider those death metal.

Have you tried Atheist? They're similar to Death in certain respects and maintained a fair deal of thrash in their sound. I'd recommend the sophomore Unquestionable Presence as their best though all are good to great.

BondedByBanjo wrote:

I'm not sure if this is too obvious, but has Sadus, Demolition Hammer, or Morbid Saint ever hit your radar? If not, then Demo's sophomore and the others' debuts would be the albums to hear. They're certainly more on the thrash side, but they wouldn't be out of place next to PtK or 7C.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:00 pm 

overtenmy wrote:
Adramelech

Holy shit, where has this been all my life? It's admittedly total bog, but I'm digging it so bad. It's exactly what I wanted to hear right now.

I always lose hope with death metal cause all I ever seem to hear is fucking pig grunts and super-technical riff shit....but then every now and then something like this comes along and I kick myself. This is awesome.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:10 pm 

Adramelech rules, their 2nd album Pure Blood Doom is sweet too:

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:29 pm 

Turner wrote:
overtenmy wrote:
Adramelech

Holy shit, where has this been all my life? It's admittedly total bog, but I'm digging it so bad. It's exactly what I wanted to hear right now.

I always lose hope with death metal cause all I ever seem to hear is fucking pig grunts and super-technical riff shit....but then every now and then something like this comes along and I kick myself. This is awesome.

I agree. The entire album has a hypnotic feel to it. Completely different than the whole "tremelo pick some random notes and call it a riff" deal.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:28 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Seconding Demolition Hammer, might wanna check out Deathchain's early stuff, especially Deadmeat Disciples.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:24 am 

BondedByBanjo: you might also like Revenant, they're an early US death/thrash band with some progressive elements. Awesomely weird riffs and pretty intelligible vocals. Their only LP Prophecies of a Dying World is one of my favorite albums of all time:

Boychev
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 pm 

Death Metal 101:

Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Entombed - Left Hand Path & Clandestine
Autopsy - Severed Survival & Mental Funeral
Death - Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy & Human
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness & Necroticism
Morbid Angel - Altars, Blessed & Covenant
Deicide - S/t & Legion
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Pestilence - Consvming Impvlse
Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Cynic - Focus (not really death metal, but very influential on the prog/tech scene and a great album in its own right too)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (best album ever, basically)
Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Stuff that's been very influential to the modern scene:

Devourment - Molesting the Decapitated (slam)
Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction (tech death)
Decapitated - Winds of Creation (brutal tech death)
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (melodeath)
Carcass - Heartwork (melodeath & death'n'roll)

Albums to listen to for WTF factor:

Gorguts - Obscura
Demilich - Nespithe
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Cephalotripsy - Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies

Random personal favourite: Disgorge [MEX] - Chronic Corpora Infest

Deathwish238
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:06 pm 

I'm really enjoying Disgorge - Chronic Corpora Infest. I need more brutal death like this. Some grindcore influence is fine, some slam influence is fine. I want brutal death that does not have very much tech death(high pitched single note intricate guitar work sound). Gorgasm and Kronos are some bands I enjoy. Maybe more brutal versions of Psycroptic and Dying Fetus would be nice to find.

Any suggestions?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:46 pm 

I'm really getting into some different death metal. I'm obsessed with Below the Church, Horrendous, Ilsa, Swallowed, Mammoth Grinder, and Schammasch (deathened black). They aren't all alike but I'm looking for some death metal that is otherworldly and well-performed/produced, this is a must - but overproduction is bad too. I like the production of Ilsa and the otherworldly vibes of Swallowed, but the catchiness of Massive Grinder and Below the Church. This is one insane, hodgepodge request but hopefully someone knows of some unabashed DM meisterwork that will send me over the edge and ears-first into the abyss. Occult themed always a plus.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 am 

Those are a pretty broad range of sounds, assuming you mean the Swedish Under the Church. Here are two demos for you.

Spectral Voice - Necrotic Doom

This one's mostly slow, pulverizing death/doom with some Incantation influence, some Bolt Thrower and plenty of crushing, catchy riffs.

Innsmouth - The Departure of Shub Niggurath

This band I recommend all the time but I will forever feel the need to spread the gospel. They play mainly a mid-paced, groovy, catchy sort of death metal with a sprinkling of blackness in the atmosphere. Riffs for days and days.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:29 pm 

Loved the Innsmouth, the Spectral Voice was cool too but nothing that really took me for a ride. I know my request was pretty random; I'm basically just looking for DM albums that are through-and-through works of art while not getting too much into the proggy/psychedelia geighness that a lot of critics shit over ala Morbus Chron (who are good but not great)

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:37 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Loved the Innsmouth, the Spectral Voice was cool too but nothing that really took me for a ride. I know my request was pretty random; I'm basically just looking for DM albums that are through-and-through works of art while not getting too much into the proggy/psychedelia geighness that a lot of critics shit over ala Morbus Chron (who are good but not great)

Maybe give Execration (Nor) a go. I would suggest either their Language of the Dead ep which is a bit more straightforward and catchy or their Odes of the Occult lp which has a ton of atmosphere.

Boychev
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:20 pm 

Deathwish238 wrote:
I'm really enjoying Disgorge - Chronic Corpora Infest. I need more brutal death like this. Some grindcore influence is fine, some slam influence is fine. I want brutal death that does not have very much tech death(high pitched single note intricate guitar work sound). Gorgasm and Kronos are some bands I enjoy. Maybe more brutal versions of Psycroptic and Dying Fetus would be nice to find.

Any suggestions?

How about some Colombian scene?

A whole list of the stuff here

Or how about Malignancy?

Or if you wanna go old school and shit...

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:03 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I'm really getting into some different death metal. I'm obsessed with Below the Church, Horrendous, Ilsa, Swallowed, Mammoth Grinder, and Schammasch (deathened black). They aren't all alike but I'm looking for some death metal that is otherworldly and well-performed/produced, this is a must - but overproduction is bad too. I like the production of Ilsa and the otherworldly vibes of Swallowed, but the catchiness of Massive Grinder and Below the Church. This is one insane, hodgepodge request but hopefully someone knows of some unabashed DM meisterwork that will send me over the edge and ears-first into the abyss. Occult themed always a plus.

As a poster on these forums, there's maybe a 1% chance you've never heard of them but in case not, Domains fits your criteria to a t.
https://domainsofdeath.bandcamp.com/

Kerd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:37 pm 

I really enjoyed last 4 Death's Albums and I really loved the way Chuck Schuldiner growls. I have also tried Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness but idk, I feel like it is missing something(ik im weird), and Martyr's Warp Zone, which I really liked, everything in this album is perfect, the growls, the composition, the riff, I loved it. What would you suggest?.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:00 pm 

^ A few well known bands in that proggy, somewhat more melodic style, just in case, y'know:

You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:48 pm 

There are the Death sound-alikes (caution, not all their albums sound like this):

Pica Fierce, a bit on the thrashier side. It's a shame they never made more than one album, great potential.

Kerd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:22 pm 

Thanks you both, i have tried them a bit and so far both Anata and Sceptic look both great and i liked them. Thanks you again.

MeleeMSTR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:42 pm 

Can you guys suggest any albums that sound similar to 'Destroy the Opposition' (Dying Fetus) or 'Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead' (Skinless)? I really dig the gutturals and the groovy beatdown riffs (as well as those tech bits that Fetus plays). Those two albums really seem to click with me, and they both slam hard, but I am having trouble finding BDM bands that are quite similar (ones that don't play 30 straight minutes of mid-paced slam breakdowns). Any reccomendations?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 pm 

MeleeMSTR wrote:
Can you guys suggest any albums that sound similar to 'Destroy the Opposition' (Dying Fetus) or 'Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead' (Skinless)? I really dig the gutturals and the groovy beatdown riffs (as well as those tech bits that Fetus plays). Those two albums really seem to click with me, and they both slam hard, but I am having trouble finding BDM bands that are quite similar (ones that don't play 30 straight minutes of mid-paced slam breakdowns). Any reccomendations?

I've sampled a ton of albums looking for brutally heavy stuff with some groove like those two and my simple answer is "No", I haven't heard anything that sounds just like them. Closest I've come to Trample is this ...

Ferocity - The Sovereign

This next one doesn't sound like either of those, but it has that bludgeoning groove that makes me like stuff like Trample and DF. Maybe you'll like it.

Synthetic Torture - A Prediction of Ailment

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:05 pm 

MeleeMSTR wrote:

Not really much I can think of in the way of Trample the Weak, but for some good eastcoast deathgrind in the vein of Dying Fetus you might wanna try Pyrexia's later stuff or Criminal Element (pretty sure they had Vince Matthews on vocals for their first couple releases)

Pyrexia:

Criminal Element :

Definitely check out that whole Criminal element album for sure, Pyrexia might be a little more on the groove than grind side in hindsight.

MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:26 am 

Looking for bands with start/stop riff patterns. Kind of like the album Misery by Disentomb. The bass plays a very important role too. You can literally groove just to the bass. So, any other similar bands with start/stop riff patterns?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:08 am 

DeathfareDevil - no never heard of Domains until now but holy shit they smoke. Sinister Ceremonies is exactly what I'm looking for. Good looking out.

Hayisforhorses - Execration is very good, I like Odes more too.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:33 pm 

Can anyone find me Italian-style technical death metal? Looking for bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse, Hour of Penance, Ade, Hideous Divinity, Blood Truth, Murder Made God, Eyeconoclast, Antropofagus.

Also, Polish-style blackened death metal like Hate, late Behemoth, Azarath, Crionics.

Even some death thrash in the vein of HateSphere, Dew-Scented, Impious, Vader.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:44 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Also, Polish-style blackened death metal like Hate, late Behemoth, Azarath, Crionics.

Dormant Ordeal is a solid pick.

Also, 2112th post. Rush rules.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:16 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Can anyone find me Italian-style technical death metal? Looking for bands like Fleshgod Apocalypse, Hour of Penance, Ade, Hideous Divinity, Blood Truth, Murder Made God, Eyeconoclast, Antropofagus.

Try Logic of Denial.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Logic_of_Denial/97493

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:41 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Indecency wrote:

Dormant Ordeal is a solid pick.

Also, 2112th post. Rush rules.

Shit, that was awesome man. Of the 3 types of recs I asked for, the polish blackened death for me is the hardest one to find. Thanks for that band, I will definitely be enjoying them.

MikeyC wrote:
Indecency wrote:

Try Logic of Denial.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Logic_of_Denial/97493

That would have been an awesome rec if I already didn't have that band in the library. If you know anything more like it though, hit me with it.

MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:57 am 

Can you guys recommend me some newer death/doom bands? 2000+ era please?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:15 pm 

You might want to ask in the appropriate thread.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:12 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Shit, that was awesome man. Of the 3 types of recs I asked for, the polish blackened death for me is the hardest one to find. Thanks for that band, I will definitely be enjoying them.

Cool, man, glad you liked it! I'm just a little disappointed that I don't know any beyond what you mentioned (never even heard about Azarath, have to check them out) because it's a fine school of death metal, sadly there aren't many bands that do that style in its purest form. Humanity Defiled also comes to mind, but there's just a hint of grind and some American-styled death metal somewhere in there, so it isn't quite as good a rec, but there it is.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:08 pm 

Humanity Defiled isn't quite the Polish death metal I wanted but I still enjoyed them for what they were so it was a worthwhile rec, thanks.

Do check out Azarath. Behemoth's drummer is in that band, and they play a somewhat similar brand of Polish blackened death metal.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:26 pm 

What are some decent death metal albums that have the same level of utter destruction like None So Vile, or the nearly wacky sounding extremeness of Gorguts' Obscura?

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:39 am 

There's plenty of new bands that borrows elements from Obscura. You should check out the following if you already haven't

Gigan - Multidimensional Fractal Sorcery and Super Science
Pyrrhon - Growth Without End EP (Their 2nd full-length is good too, but their EP is tenfold more chaotic)
Baring Teeth - Atrophy
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation

There's not too many bands that resemble the sound achieved on None So Vile but a few albums that carry the same sick spirit and chaos IMO are:

Kataklysm - Sorcery
Wormed - Exodromos
Desecravity - Implicit Obedience
Crimson Massacre - The Luster of Pandemonium

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 290  Next