Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
truefail
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Here's my earlier post, edited slightly. I aso want to throw Empyrean Sky into the pile, but that may be a bit too progressive for what you're looking for.

Quote:
Here's a few bands that are death metal with some nice doses of melody, without being remotely melodeath, at least in the Gothenburg or Bodom sense.

Obscenity - 3rd Chapter -German death metal band from the 90's, very solid, very aggressive, very good.

Entrails -Swedeath in the vein of old Entombed

Desultory - Bitterness and Counting Our Scars -Swedeath infused with a lot of melody, without sounding anything like, say, In Flames. Released a comeback album relatively recently (Counting Our Scars) that harks back to their older sound a bit.

And how could I forget, Godgory? Sea of Dreams is a fantastic balance of mid-paced death metal with some great leads.

One more: Finland's Scum. Their album Purple Dreams and Magic Poems is pretty unique sounding, catchy and groovy as all Hell.

Something I liked more, something - less, but - thank you :)

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 pm 

w0Lf wrote:
Are there any other bands that have the melodic development and mystical atmosphere of Beyond Sanctorum era Therion?

Try AETERNUS - And so the night became

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 pm 

Can someone recommend me some fast-paced bands that use primarily sorrowful melodies and the occasional keyboard? Like say, Omnium Gatherum's 1st album played at the speed of A Taste of Extreme Divinity.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Can someone recommend me some fast-paced bands that use primarily sorrowful melodies and the occasional keyboard? Like say, Omnium Gatherum's 1st album played at the speed of A Taste of Extreme Divinity.

Interesting request. Do you mean the Hypocrisy album or song? Anyway, give Sacred Sin's third album a go. It's not as fast as you'd probably like but has a very hefty rhythmic section and very cool guitar work. The drum kick sound does suck a bit but I'm a fan of the band, eh.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 am 

androdion wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

Interesting request. Do you mean the Hypocrisy album or song? Anyway, give Sacred Sin's third album a go. It's not as fast as you'd probably like but has a very hefty rhythmic section and very cool guitar work. The drum kick sound does suck a bit but I'm a fan of the band, eh.

eeeh, not bad, but not really what I was looking for
also I meant the album, btw

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:27 am 

Anyone know any bands along the line of Terminally Your Aborted Ghost? The kind of tech-death that's more a techy Jungle Rot than Necrophagist worship.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:47 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

Yeah, it was a long shot that one. ;)

Have you heard Brutality before? They play this kind of Floridian death metal with a lot of sorrowful harmonized melodies, especially on their debut. Some of the more melodic (whilst not being melodic death metal) Finnish bands could also be interesting. Give Depravity a go and if that's of your liking you can have more. How about Gorement? Doomy and somewhat melodic here and there, but at the heart Swedish death. And have you heard Sacrilege already? The former band of In Flames' drummer. Again not exactly as you may want it, more of a cold harsh melodeath version of Dissection, mainly in the debut.

I too would like to hear some recs on this one, sounds like a few interesting bands could be found. :)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 am 

androdion wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

Yeah, it was a long shot that one. ;)

Have you heard Brutality before? They play this kind of Floridian death metal with a lot of sorrowful harmonized melodies, especially on their debut. Some of the more melodic (whilst not being melodic death metal) Finnish bands could also be interesting. Give Depravity a go and if that's of your liking you can have more. How about Gorement? Doomy and somewhat melodic here and there, but at the heart Swedish death. And have you heard Sacrilege already? The former band of In Flames' drummer. Again not exactly as you may want it, more of a cold harsh melodeath version of Dissection, mainly in the debut.

I too would like to hear some recs on this one, sounds like a few interesting bands could be found. :)

Brutality was pretty goddamn good, I liked Screams of Anguish, reminded me of pre-Santolla/Owen era Deicide if it was melodic.
And I've already heard of Sacrilege GBG

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:19 pm 

I like all three albums but SOA is definitely their best. But don't underestimate their sophomore, it's rad as well.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:48 am 

Any similar vocals to Glen Benton, Jason Blachowicz, Max Cavalera?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Any similar vocals to Glen Benton, Jason Blachowicz, Max Cavalera?

The guy from Solstice isn't that far off from the last two, and I mean the death/thrash band with members from Malevolent Creation.

xGeneralSureMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:51 pm 

Looking for highly technical brutal death metal.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:07 pm 

xGeneralSureMan wrote:

Try these:

Inherit Disease: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoK6DMzP7E
IMO, one of the best Brutal DM bands around.

Desecravity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRZ81MK5IlM
Awesome Japanese Brutal Tech Death.

Euphoric Defilement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPlDUOSeqkQ
New album is killer, the best Brutal DM album of 2013.

Odious Mortem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdx1oLZurkc
Amazing fucking band. Sorely under-rated.

Plague Widow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AceI1jDGMq8
Something a little bit different, but still Brutal and Tech.

Doom Formation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHDPVRT3zU
Kinda getting obscure here, but Doom Formation were a wild fucking band. Proto-Brutal Blackened Death Metal with some very Tech-y elements to it, but a good dose of Old-School too. Really different sounding.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm 

xGeneralSureMan wrote:

Malignancy - Inhuman Grotesqueries

I really like the way it reminds me of Immolation's debut at times, while it's still a brutal death metal album, and much, much more technical than Immolation (in the guitars department, at least).

Natterot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:04 pm 

Hey can anyone recommend me a band that has the slow brooding heavy riffs with bits of speed like Incantation but with the vocals of bands like old Defeated Sanity, Abysmal Torment, and old Devourment?

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:36 pm 

Epic Sounding, Bone Crushing Death Metal That makes you feel like a fucking warrior.

Specifically speaking, death metal that would very much be the equivalent of an earth shaking monster that was really pissed off. Full of double bass crushing, fast, heavy and somewhat melodic guitar work. Screamed or growled vocals. Only bands I have discovered with such a sound would be Sulphur Aeon, Heaven Shall Burn, and Ex Deo. If anyone knows of bands that have this essence of sheer brutality and fury please direct them to me.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:04 am 

i'm looking something like early Suffocation sound or something like early Dying Fetus sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6mBSbr0Bm0)
any suggestions??

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 am 

Pessipath wrote:
Epic Sounding, Bone Crushing Death Metal That makes you feel like a fucking warrior.

Specifically speaking, death metal that would very much be the equivalent of an earth shaking monster that was really pissed off. Full of double bass crushing, fast, heavy and somewhat melodic guitar work. Screamed or growled vocals. Only bands I have discovered with such a sound would be Sulphur Aeon, Heaven Shall Burn, and Ex Deo. If anyone knows of bands that have this essence of sheer brutality and fury please direct them to me.

This album usually makes me think that the band members are extremely pissed off. Maybe you'll like this. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:17 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
i'm looking something like early Suffocation sound or something like early Dying Fetus sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6mBSbr0Bm0)
any suggestions??

Skinless would be an obvious choice. You could also check out Pyrexia.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:58 am 

shouvince wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:
any suggestions??

Skinless would be an obvious choice. You could also check out Pyrexia.

i listened the first album by Pyrexia and sounds cool :headbang:
Also i was wondering if there are any brutal death metal releases from early 90's (something like between '91-'94)?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:49 am 

That's great man. Glad you enjoyed Pyrexia.

I'm not too sure about "brutal" death metal but there are plenty of death metal bands which had good albums released in that time frame.

Brutality - When the sky turns black
Krabathor - Cool mortification
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the dead

Check out Immolation if you haven't already. 'Dawn of Possession' is almost forms the bedrock of 90s death metal.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:57 am 

Well, Dawn of Possession is pretty much the album of the year of 1991.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
any suggestions??

This album.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:20 am 

xGeneralSureMan wrote:

Crryptopsy, Origin, Nile, Decapitated \m/

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:45 pm 

PillarofModern wrote:
xGeneralSureMan wrote:

Crryptopsy, Origin, Nile, Decapitated \m/

You can might as well check out the new Wormed record. It's quite an album!

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 pm 

Does anyone know of any death metal that sounds like early Cryptopsy? I have never really heard of bands that emulate them and they are my favorite dm band I just want to hear some stuff like None So Vile and Blasphemy Made Flesh.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:59 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Does anyone know of any death metal that sounds like early Cryptopsy? I have never really heard of bands that emulate them and they are my favorite dm band I just want to hear some stuff like None So Vile and Blasphemy Made Flesh.

For something similar to BMF you can try these crazy Czech's debut, although I'd say it also reeks of Sorcery-era Kataklysm. Bah, it's a great album and I really like the band. :) First three albums are killer!

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:34 pm 

Uh, does ANYONE know of ANYTHING that sounds like Cryptopsy's Once Was Not? And No Gorguts answers or any bullshit lol

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:42 pm 

Looks promising I will check them out! I feel like Cryptopsy is one of those bands that can't really be replicated and I want something that is obviously influenced by it mostly with the production and the bass playing. Hopefully I will be able to do it with my band but highly doubtful.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:52 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Looks promising I will check them out! I feel like Cryptopsy is one of those bands that can't really be replicated and I want something that is obviously influenced by it mostly with the production and the bass playing. Hopefully I will be able to do it with my band but highly doubtful.

You'll like Melancholy Pessimism then, at least their debut. The following couple of albums have them pursue a more Czech route, if you know what I mean. ;) Very experimental and very tripped out. The debut, although it has some experimentalism, is more based on old school influences and doesn't have as much grind as the later ones.

PillarofModern wrote:
Uh, does ANYONE know of ANYTHING that sounds like Cryptopsy's Once Was Not? And No Gorguts answers or any bullshit lol

What does Gorguts have to do with anything?! :scratch:

Once Was Not is a drumfest really, and that's actually the main reason why I like it. I can't remember anything as frantic and skin bashingly abusing as that though. Come to think of it, I'd like to hear some answers here too. :)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 pm 

can someone recommend me some really sorrowful, depressing melodic death metal? I don't mean anything emo-sounding or anything related to that, but something that's legitimately sorrowful and depressive, both musically and lyrically. I'm basically looking for the melodic death metal equivalent to DSBM

BastardHead wrote:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:57 pm 

Would Ghost Brigade meet that criteria?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ghost_Brigade/58787

When you described the style you were looking for, I immediately thought of several melodic doom bands but since you were looking for melodeath, I sort of narrowed on this band. I think they're on the fence as far as sounding like a melodeath/doom band is concerned.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
can someone recommend me some really sorrowful, depressing melodic death metal? I don't mean anything emo-sounding or anything related to that, but something that's legitimately sorrowful and depressive, both musically and lyrically. I'm basically looking for the melodic death metal equivalent to DSBM

Well, Insomnium are the more "obvious" answer there. Also check out Slumber from Finland.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 am 

I liked Slumber, I already knew about Insomnium, Ghost Brigade...eh, the clean vocals were good but not quite what I was looking for.

BastardHead wrote:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 am 

Insomnium is actually very upbeat. I don't know why you would consider them to be a depressive. Wistful, definitely, but depressive? I suppose people mean different things by that word.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

Requests are growing weirder with each passing day. :P

I don't know man, melodeath that goes into "I wanna cut myself" territory? Does that even exist without overlapping with death/doom? With that being said, if you liked Slumber be sure to also check out Rapture's S/T debut album. Very similar in style.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

VEHEMENCE - GOD WAS CREATED! LISTEN NOW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NNCoif_6FQ
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ve ... eated/5820

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am 

androdion wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

I don't know man, melodeath that goes into "I wanna cut myself" territory? Does that even exist without overlapping with death/doom? With that being said, if you liked Slumber be sure to also check out Rapture's S/T debut album. Very similar in style.

Rapture's debut is actually called 'Futile'; it's not self-titled. Anyway, that album's more Brave Murder Day styled than melodeath.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:54 am 

androdion wrote:

Ha, damn right! How long before someone asks for depressive humppafolk? :oh shit:

Henk, Vehemence isn't sorrowful? Are they now? It's been a while since I heard 'God was created' but they were a modern death metal with melodies.

As Ilwhyan said that melodeath is generally upbeat and slightly fast. That goes against the grain of what depressive music generally stands for.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Rapture's debut is actually called 'Futile'; it's not self-titled. Anyway, that album's more Brave Murder Day styled than melodeath.

Oh fuck, how did I screw up that one?! Post-lunch haziness probably... :durr:

I just mentioned it because he said he liked Slumber.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 289  Next