Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 pm 

They've already been mentioned, but I always thought Slugathor's "Circle of Death" was the honorary heir to Bolt Thrower's throne. It's not just about the riffs, it's about the melodic interplay that bounces off the riffs. Slugathor understood and mastered that, ESPECIALLY on Circle of Death. So I am specifically and very strongly recommending that album.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:40 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
It only involves Karl Willetts, the vocalist, from Bolt Thrower. None of the other musicians ever were in Bolt Thrower, except for the drummer Andrew Whale who never recorded with the band for their studio releases... I wast still planing on looking them up though.

Andy Whale IS the Bolt Thrower drummer, former member and old drummer of the band from the beginning to "...For Victory" and consequential tour. His style is almost unique in the death metal world.
Without taking anything away from Martin, I've always identified Andy as Bolt Thrower drummer.

"You make it easy."

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 am 

Yeah but he never recorded with them. Except all their classic albums of course.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
It only involves Karl Willetts, the vocalist, from Bolt Thrower. None of the other musicians ever were in Bolt Thrower, except for the drummer Andrew Whale who never recorded with the band for their studio releases... I wast still planing on looking them up though.

Andy Whale IS the Bolt Thrower drummer, former member and old drummer of the band from the beginning to "...For Victory" and consequential tour. His style is almost unique in the death metal world.
Without taking anything away from Martin, I've always identified Andy as Bolt Thrower drummer.

True! My bad!

Dunno why I thought that...

droneriot wrote:
Yeah but he never recorded with them. Except all their classic albums of course.

You sure like to hammer in your points uselessly, don't you?

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
They've already been mentioned, but I always thought Slugathor's "Circle of Death" was the honorary heir to Bolt Thrower's throne. It's not just about the riffs, it's about the melodic interplay that bounces off the riffs. Slugathor understood and mastered that, ESPECIALLY on Circle of Death. So I am specifically and very strongly recommending that album.

I'm listening to this one right now and it's pretty good :)

Coog
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 am 

Ok, is there a thing like brutal death metal with a bounce (brutal or slam, I don’t know the difference)? Since we are already speaking of Bolt Thrower, is there a band that combines the riffing from their best stuff with the heaviness of, let’s say Amagortis? If yes, that would be swell. I would listen the shit out of that band.

http://deathmetal-.playtheradio.com

Also available on Itunes and Orange Radio.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
Molested is a GREAT rec for weird death metal!! A lot of Norwegian death metal is that uneasy, off-center type death metal, bands like Diskord, Reptilian, etc. Another band that I thought of you might like is Nauseant, a Swedish band that sounds as close to Demilich as any band I've ever heard. Along the same lines, there's been a sudden springing up of bands that draw a fair amount of influence from weird DM pioneers Timeghoul as well as Demilich, along with other stalwarts of the Finnish scene like Adramalech. Check out Chthe'ilist, Blood Incantation, Cosmic Atrophy, Zealotry, and Nucleus if that sounds appealing to you.

Another great one you should try is Infester, who released this weirdly suffocating and terrifying album in I think '94 then basically disappeared. This is RETARDEDLY hard to find for less than $150, but thankfully, Martyrdoom is reissuing it next month.

I actually have that Infester album and it wasn't easy to find either but I know I paid less than $100 for it.

Of course it's PROBABLY not an original pressing (might be, 94's not THAT old) but still (well, it has the original artwork on the disc itself,so perhaps it is?).

Interesting story for me about that album: I got into metal at age 14 (I'm 36 now) and was introduced to most of your usual metal bands (metallica, megadeth, slayer, venom, sabbath, etc) by one kid.

He often obtained albums of different bands without knowing what he really had in his hands because he was still new to metal too, but one album he did have, back right around that year it came out around 94-95, was that Infester album. He gave it to me because he said he didn't like it (of course it was WAY over both of our heads at that point as really young metal heads who didn't even really know about death or black or extreme metal).

And then while I don't remember doing it, I believe I must have also sold my copy of it to a CD store (ahh, remember when they actually EXISTED??!, sad they barely do anymore...).

Then about 5,6 or 7 or so years back, I was looking on this site for shit that was really scary and would blow my mind and someone brought that album up and I remembered I'd once had it and was SO pissed I'd gotten rid of it!!

I looked for it for a while and I finally found it although it doesn't have the booklet which my copy originally had, just a photo copy of the cover, but it was still the album itself and not a burned copy, and now I love that sick twisted album.

It's just funny how that kind of thing happens and how I'd totally forgotten it existed, but I still find it sad I got rid of that original copy because it was more likely to have been a 1st pressing and had the complete artwork.

Nevertheless, I'm still proud to own it as part of my collection and have it in my closet somewhere with hundreds of other albums lol.

Maybe the moral of the story is: if you are new to metal and an album seems "unusual" to you, don't be SO quick to pawn it off, maybe let it simmer for a while and see if it grows on you.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 am 

Gotta' agree, that Infester album is a fucking monster. One of the best osdm albums I've ever heard.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:26 pm 

Count me in for that Infester reissue. I'll jump on that in a fucking minute.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:57 am 

Stumbled upon this:

Plasmodium - Entheognosis (2016)

Some sort weird experimental black/death metal with some dark ambient & vaguely psychedelic leanings from Australia. I would say that they remind me of Portal but I'm not so sure despite the similarities. Production seems much more cleaner than the muddy clusterfuck Portal is known (& cherished [?]) for, the pace gets quite sluggish at certain instances, I heard is some bass involvement here as well. It's pretty intriguing & genuinely unsettling at times, just don't expect any real riffs from this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-Z6_J3MLw

EpitomeOfPantalgia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:00 pm 

Lately I've been jamming a lot of Creepmime's Shadows. It's a pretty odd death metal record that takes a lot of its pacing queues from doom rather than death metal. Combining the sound of bands like Pestilence and Unleashed into such a weird and unique creature that it's hard to shrug it off for its lack of overly intricate solos and all the other fluff that seems to please dweebs.

Definitely a grower, but one that you should take the time to familiarize yourself with if you want some hype-free, old school death metal to investigate.

EpitomeOfPantalgia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm 

intothevoid wrote:
I'm looking for death metal with a huge atmospheric feeling, not too brutal ( I don't want Nile), some sick riffs, and a good mix of blastbeats and sludgy parts.

You definitely need to check out Irkallian Oracle's Apollyon that came out last year. Chasmic production with no shortage of riffs. The real stars of the show are definitely the drummer and the bassist; their interplay throughout the record is what makes this record so special.

Enjoy with a nice set of headphones or set up on a good stereo. Laptop speaker listening will get you nowhere with how big the low end is on this puppy.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:11 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Count me in for that Infester reissue. I'll jump on that in a fucking minute.

I'll have to check, but didn't they get back together and release another album within the past couple years?

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:53 am 

Infester? Definitely not. Talked to a friend of the band at a show a while back and I can't remember who it was but there was one member that literally NO ONE knows if he's been dead or alive since the 90s. Infester released the full length, some demos, and that's it.

flowa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:40 am 

EpitomeOfPantalgia wrote:
intothevoid wrote:
I'm looking for death metal with a huge atmospheric feeling, not too brutal ( I don't want Nile), some sick riffs, and a good mix of blastbeats and sludgy parts.

You definitely need to check out Irkallian Oracle's Apollyon that came out last year. Chasmic production with no shortage of riffs. The real stars of the show are definitely the drummer and the bassist; their interplay throughout the record is what makes this record so special.

Enjoy with a nice set of headphones or set up on a good stereo. Laptop speaker listening will get you nowhere with how big the low end is on this puppy.

Also check Portal's "Swarth" or even the new The Ominous Circle "Appalling Ascension". Two very good offerings in that kind of DM.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:47 pm 

intothevoid wrote:

Blood Incantation - Starspawn.

The only band, alongside Mithras, that really captures the grandeur of space for me.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:52 pm 

I want some complex death/thrash like Ripping Corpse, with similar guitar stuff going down. I know Sadus, Hellwitch, Massacra and that stuff, which is badass, but Rutan's guitar is next level weird riff shredding, a whole different animal. Doesn't have to be the same style really, it's one of a kind I imagine, just stuff that takes techy riffs a new level of genius

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10 pm 

Invocator's 'Excursion Demise' should do the trick. Lot's of complex riffing on this one, with the rhythm section so fast at times it almost comes off the rails.

You could also check out Torture Squad's Pandemonium, although perhaps a little too much on the death metal side.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:13 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
I want some complex death/thrash like Ripping Corpse, ... Doesn't have to be the same style really, it's one of a kind I imagine, just stuff that takes techy riffs a new level of genius

From Beyond - No More Room In Hell

Flayed Disciple - Death Hammer

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:39 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
I want some complex death/thrash like Ripping Corpse, with similar guitar stuff going down. I know Sadus, Hellwitch, Massacra and that stuff, which is badass, but Rutan's guitar is next level weird riff shredding, a whole different animal. Doesn't have to be the same style really, it's one of a kind I imagine, just stuff that takes techy riffs a new level of genius

I just stumbled upon a Croatian band named Aeon today that might be what you're after.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:58 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:

Prophecies of a Dying World by Revenant needs a listen.

Thresholds by Nocturnus sounds like what you want. Very good album, though The Key is my favorite of theirs. Thresholds is much more techy.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:26 pm 

I listened to Invocator recently and it is definitely awesome. Already love Nocturnus a lot but everything else I'm unfamiliar with so I'll be getting on those.

I've actually never checked out Hate Eternal, speaking of Rutan. Do they have any greatness to behold?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:44 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
I've actually never checked out Hate Eternal, speaking of Rutan. Do they have any greatness to behold?

All their albums are pretty good, although my personal favourite is I, Monarch, so my recommendation is checking that one out first. I'll get you started. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:00 pm 

That was definitely solid, but personally wasn't super remarkable after a casual listen tbh

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:30 pm 

Anything similar to Aeternam?
Im looking for epic death metal, doesn't have to be symphonic or anything like that. I get Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apoc a lot but Im sure there's other stuff.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:59 am 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Im looking for epic death metal, doesn't have to be symphonic or anything like that. I get Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apoc a lot but Im sure there's other stuff.

Ade
More in the brutal/tech death vein
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCh3w7johYo

Maat
Nile meets Polish death metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOnBjLKcIhI

Arkan
Melodeath with oriental melodies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRwh4STNTE

Ex Deo
Sympho-death based on Roman mythology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLeWnnPnY_k

Kartikeya
Folk/death based on Indian mythology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMh4Y18anNI

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:36 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
ChildClownOutlet wrote:

Ade
More in the brutal/tech death vein
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCh3w7johYo

Maat
Nile meets Polish death metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOnBjLKcIhI

Arkan
Melodeath with oriental melodies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRwh4STNTE

Ex Deo
Sympho-death based on Roman mythology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLeWnnPnY_k

Kartikeya
Folk/death based on Indian mythology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMh4Y18anNI

Ade and Kartikeya are perfect! I know about Exdeo, thanks for the recs.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:50 pm 

The first two Hate Eternal albums are basically flawless. Conquering the Throne and King of all Kings are some of the finest death metal ever crafted.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:46 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
That was definitely solid, but personally wasn't super remarkable after a casual listen tbh

If you didn't like that one, maybe go backwards in their career. If you still don't like it, then Hate Eternal may not be for you.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:52 pm 

I'm looking for some evil sounding death metal like this song right here. Don't suggest deicide because I'm very familiar with them already.

Also what are some cold, desolate sounding death metal bands like Crucifixion?

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:18 am 

If you're looking for bands in the vein of Deeds of Flesh, check out:

Inveracity
Abnormal Inhuman
Severe Torture
Severed Savior
Pyaemia
Insidious Decrepancy
Vile
Gorgasm
Flesh Consumed
Beheaded
Decrepit Birth (early)
Disgorge
Decaying Purity
Sarcolytic

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:53 pm 

I've recently gotten into Goregrind, and Slam too. I'm pretty well versed in Goregrind, but could use some lesser known recs and where to start with Slam. Thanks.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:53 pm 

I've recently gotten into Goregrind, and Slam too. I'm pretty well versed in Goregrind, but could use some lesser known recs and where to start with Slam. Thanks.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:49 pm 

Slam:

Abominable Putridity
Aborted Fetus
Amputated
Artery Eruption
Awaiting the Autopsy
Begging for Incest
Bodysnatch
Cephalotripsy
Cerebral Engorgement
Cerebral Incubation
Coprocephalic
Cranial Osteotomy
Crepitation
Cumbeast
The Dark Prison Massacre
Devourment
Devour the Unborn
Digested Flesh
Diphenylchlorarisine
Disconformity
Disfigurement of Flesh
Dormant Carnivore
Down from the Wound
Dripping
Dysentery
Embryectomy
Engorgement
Engutturalment Cephaloslamectomy
Epicardiectomy
Extermination Dismemberment
Fermented Masturbation
Filial Cannibalism
Glossectomy
Gorevent
Gutfed
Guttural Corpora Cavernosa
Human Mastication
Human Rejection
Hymenotomy
Infertile Surrogacy
Inhuman Dissilency
Internal Devour
Jenovavirus
Katalepsy
Korpse
Kraanium
Maximize Bestiality
Medic Vomiting Pus
Morphogenetic Malformation
MP5k
Myocardial Infarction
Necromorphic Irruption
Needle Contaminated Pork
Party Cannon
Pighead
Pus Vomit
Rest in Gore
Sect of Execration
Short Bus Pile Up
Sick
Soils of Fate
Splattered
Syphilectomy
Traumatomy
Urethral Defecation
Urogenital Macrophage
Visceral Disgorge
Visceral Disorder
Vomit Remnants
Vulvectomy
Vomitous

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:01 pm 

I only know three of those. I have some homework now, thanks!

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:53 pm 

Hello everybody! I was wondering if anyone knew of any new/modern bands that have the sound of the classic Morrisound/Scott Burns albums? I'm specifically talking about the sound of the guitar. So I'm talking about things like Obituary's Cause of Death, Cancer's Death Shall Rise, Gorguts' Considered Dead, etc.

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:15 pm 

Oheao wrote:
Hello everybody! I was wondering if anyone knew of any new/modern bands that have the sound of the classic Morrisound/Scott Burns albums? I'm specifically talking about the sound of the guitar. So I'm talking about things like Obituary's Cause of Death, Cancer's Death Shall Rise, Gorguts' Considered Dead, etc.

Try disma towards the megalith. I can't think of any others.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:25 pm 

Wouldn't really consider Towards the Megalith to have the classic Floridian sound. Hmm, here's a couple I can think of:

Derogatory
Masada
Skeletal Remains
Rude
Morfin
Gruesome
Excoriate
Discreation

That's a hard sound to find, since most modern OSDM bands want to play either Incantation type stuff or be a Swedeath clone. a lot of stuff on FDA Records is going to pique your interest probably.

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:11 pm 

hey guys,can you recommend me death metal bands that use dual vocals like early deeds of flesh,but not brutal death,more like regular death or black death.

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 pm 

Anybody know anything like the following releases?

Katatonia - Jhva Elohim Meth EP (more doom and gothic than death, but still enough death metal elements to be considered such)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence/Piece of Time
Opeth - first three albums
Darkthrone - A Soulside Journey

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 290  Next