* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:45 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
Can anyone suggest brutal death metal with melodic guitar solos? I mean, a lot of it doesn't have any solos, or very rarely utilizes solos (and when it does, it's either overtly technical (if it's tech/brutal, especially) or overtly sloppy), but what are some with melodic solos? Maybe they don't need to be utilized in every single song, but at least in a handful of tracks.

Suffocation- Pierced From Within
Deicide- Stench of Redemption(Ralph Santolla was amazing on this)

How is Deicide "brutal death metal"?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:39 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
Can anyone suggest brutal death metal with melodic guitar solos? I mean, a lot of it doesn't have any solos, or very rarely utilizes solos (and when it does, it's either overtly technical (if it's tech/brutal, especially) or overtly sloppy), but what are some with melodic solos? Maybe they don't need to be utilized in every single song, but at least in a handful of tracks.

Beneath (Iceland) - The Barren Throne album.

Solo comes in at 3:04 in the song I linked. This band is much more melodic in general than most brutal death, which helps it stand out to me.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:28 pm 

The Czech band Despise has a song that may work for you; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-QXQXnp4M. It's from their only full length and if you enjoy brutal/tech death I suggest you take a listen to the whole album. In this song there's some melodic stuff but there's a passage at around 2:50 - 4:00 that might suite your fancy.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:09 am 

Required Fields wrote:

Kronos puts a lot of melody in their brutal death metal stuff sometimes:

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Rykov wrote:
Looking for really fast, really riffy death metal. No other requirements, really, as long as it's got speed, riffs, and it's death metal.

When I think of fast and riffy for death metal I tend to think of grindcore. Not sure if you want grindcore or not, but there is a lot more to add.

Discovered this one today, and very impressed. (death/grind)

Very good powerviolence

Thanks, but not really looking for grindcore or powerviolence. Just straight up death metal-- deathgrind is cool, as long as it leans more towards the death metal side of things.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:56 am 

Required Fields wrote:

You can try "Throne of Reign" by US Pathology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHYsMD1xgo

brutal death with slam parts and solos by Shaune Kelley (Ripping Corpse-Hate Eternal) among others as guest leads.

"You make it easy."

flowing gore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:25 pm 

Requesting cheesy melodeath with "F-Zero" guitar leads, similar to Arch Enemy, In Flames, etc.. (At least the earlier works of these bands--I haven't heard the later material).

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:04 am 

What do you mean with "f-zero?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:47 pm 

I'm guessing along the lines of hyper-melodic, like something you'd hear in a video game.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:38 pm 

Like Marionette then?

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:13 pm 

What's an album or band that sounds like Sinister's Hate? Hard to explain exactly what it is I'm looking for but it's kind of atmospheric, kind of melodic but still pretty straightforward death metal. I don't like anything too atmospheric and I'm definitely not interested in melodic death metal. Also, a lot of parts to each song but not spastic like a lot of technical dm that does this (not necessary but would be great).

(please don't recommend more Sinister, I'm already a huge fan)

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 pm 

This might be a bit obvious, but have you tried Brutality? Their debut sounds reasonably similar to the album in question.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:43 pm 

There's all the related Dutch bands. Off the top of my head, Infinited Hate, Thanatos, etc etc etc... (check related bands tab, also band members other bands linked).

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:10 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
This might be a bit obvious, but have you tried Brutality? Their debut sounds reasonably similar to the album in question.

I already know them but thanks for trying.

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:51 pm 

Any bands like Dyscarnate? Other than Dying Fetus.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am 

hmi wrote:
What's an album or band that sounds like Sinister's Hate? Hard to explain exactly what it is I'm looking for but it's kind of atmospheric, kind of melodic but still pretty straightforward death metal. I don't like anything too atmospheric and I'm definitely not interested in melodic death metal. Also, a lot of parts to each song but not spastic like a lot of technical dm that does this (not necessary but would be great).

(please don't recommend more Sinister, I'm already a huge fan)

I'm in the same boat, I love Sinister and I really love Hate but I don't know many albums that sound similar. That said, you might like Gorefest's False (if you're not already familiar). Maybe Houwitser's Embrace Damnation as well, Aad from Sinister was in that project for a while. It's similar to Sinister but closer to a brutal death sound.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:36 pm 

Aikanaro wrote:
Any bands like Dyscarnate? Other than Dying Fetus.

Check out Unbreakable Hatred from Canada.

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:00 pm 

I've wanted to check out Cannibal Corpse for some time but they have such a huge discography I don't really know where to start. OF course many people would say every one of their albums sounds the same.

What 3 albums would you say are their best?

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:00 am 

^ It kind of depends what your tastes are. Their albums are samey, but they've been around long enough for some development to have occurred. The debut, Eaten Back to Life, is fairly thrashy compared to what came later. Butchered at Birth saw them get a bit more brutal which continued into the, better in my opinion, Tomb of the Mutilated. Barnes' last album, The Bleeding, toned down the brutality and upped the catchiness. The first two Fisher albums are usually considered garbage though Gallery has its defenders. Many consider the next one, Bloodthirst, a return to form, and I agree. This is also around the time that some extra technicality came into their sound which may or may not matter to you. I'm not as familiar with their more recent works, as they just didn't do much for me on first listen though I recall thinking Kill was a cut above.

If I were going to rank favorites, it would probably be Tomb, Bloodthirst, and Bleeding in that order though it bears mention that Corpse's catalog is more workmanlike in that they don't really have a signature, defining masterpiece like most legends do. You'll probably like several of them, but I doubt you'll find any of them mindblowing.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:12 am 

BondedByBanjo wrote:
I've wanted to check out Cannibal Corpse for some time but they have such a huge discography I don't really know where to start. OF course many people would say every one of their albums sounds the same.

Early 90's: Tomb is the most brutal, where Bleeding is the catchiest
Late 90's/early 00: Bloodthirst is probably my favorite of this era, with Gallery of Suicide the only album I dont like. Gore Obsessed is a little too filler
Kill til now: Eric Rutan gave it heavier production. Torture felt fresh when it came out and Skeletal Domain seemed even better, but I think it's because of the clearer production.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

I prefer their more melodic stuff - Evisceration Plague followed by Bloodthirst and Torture. I thought they lost some heaviness both in sound and songs on A Skeletal Domain. Their earlier stuff is generally more chaotic, if that's what you prefer.

You might want to check out Cannabis Corpse's Tube of the Resinated. IMO, it would be one of Cannibal Corpse's better albums ... if it was Cannibal Corpse.

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:15 pm 

Looking for old school death metal a la Master, Sadistic Intent, Possessed -- still has a lot of thrash in it, but also pretty dark. Esp curious to know what new bands are playing this style now.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:59 am 

U472439 wrote:
Looking for old school death metal a la Master, Sadistic Intent, Possessed -- still has a lot of thrash in it, but also pretty dark. Esp curious to know what new bands are playing this style now.

Mortem from Peru

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:55 pm 

U472439 wrote:

check out pentagram from chile if you haven't yet. The old stuff is classic and the new album is basically old school with modern production. Thanatos might also be up to your alley i think their best work are the third and fourth albums.

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 am 

Hello everybody,

Would anyone be so kind as to recommend me some epic death metal loosely in the same vein as Cenotaph's "The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows", The Chasm's "Reaching the Veil of Death", R'Leyh's "Ancient Terrors", Inanna's "Converging Ages" and the Ancient Gods/Infinitum Obscure split, please?

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:56 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
U472439 wrote:

check out pentagram from chile if you haven't yet. The old stuff is classic and the new album is basically old school with modern production. Thanatos might also be up to your alley i think their best work are the third and fourth albums.

awesome thanks, Pentagram exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanatos wouldn't have occurred to me, but I do love their first record, before they got more death metal-sounding.

GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:31 am 

Anyone care to recommend some death metal in the vein of Repugnant's "Epitome of Darkness", Behemoth's "Demigod"/"The Apostasy" or Angelcorpse's "Exterminate"/"The Inexorable"? I've failed to come across bands that have that level of catchiness, brutality and that kind of slimy, dirty and bloodsoaked quality to the sound (except for Behemoth's latter stuff).

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:25 am 

GrotesqueCarcass wrote:
death metal in the vein of Repugnant's "Epitome of Darkness"

Tribulation - The Horror

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:39 pm 

Spearhead's Decrowning the Irenarch for the Angelcorpse comparison. It's vicious!

GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 pm 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
GrotesqueCarcass wrote:
death metal in the vein of Repugnant's "Epitome of Darkness"

Tribulation - The Horror

I heard it a while ago, I liked it but I feel it just doesn't reach the level that "Epitome of Darkness" does. Thanks for the rec anyways!

androdion wrote:
Spearhead's Decrowning the Irenarch for the Angelcorpse comparison. It's vicious!

I liked it a lot! The production is a bit plastic (like Of Lucifer and Lightning) but it's very good. Will check their discography now. Thanks!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:05 am 

Yeah, The Horror is more polished instead of gruff and rough like EoD, but the riffs are definitely there and the album slays. Its production is more in line with something like a new age Clandestine so take that in mind and you'll probably enjoy it more. ;)

On DtI, it's a bit polished and clean yes but my reasoning is the same as above, the riffs more than make it count! To me it's pretty much the only album that even touches Exterminate so that's that. Their first one has more black metal in the mix but it has this really savage drumming and Theomachia I didn't really like, sounds too tame and focuses too much on the groove.

PS: For Behemoth I'd assume you're familiar with Hate from Poland?

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:05 am 

GrotesqueCarcass wrote:
Anyone care to recommend some death metal in the vein of Repugnant's "Epitome of Darkness", Behemoth's "Demigod"/"The Apostasy" or Angelcorpse's "Exterminate"/"The Inexorable"? I've failed to come across bands that have that level of catchiness, brutality and that kind of slimy, dirty and bloodsoaked quality to the sound (except for Behemoth's latter stuff).

Merciless - The Awakening
Beyond - Fatal Power of Death
Totten Korps - The King of Hell Reclaims His Throne

For Behemoth check out Veld's Daemonic: The Art of Dantalian

GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:51 pm 

androdion wrote:
Yeah, The Horror is more polished instead of gruff and rough like EoD, but the riffs are definitely there and the album slays. Its production is more in line with something like a new age Clandestine so take that in mind and you'll probably enjoy it more. ;)

On DtI, it's a bit polished and clean yes but my reasoning is the same as above, the riffs more than make it count! To me it's pretty much the only album that even touches Exterminate so that's that. Their first one has more black metal in the mix but it has this really savage drumming and Theomachia I didn't really like, sounds too tame and focuses too much on the groove.

PS: For Behemoth I'd assume you're familiar with Hate from Poland?

Yeah, that must've been the reason I didn't enjoy The Horror as much as Epitome, but I did like it.
Yes! Decrowning the Irenarch is great! Gave it a listen last night while studying and loved it, it's so vicious and it has that little tinge of thrash that Exterminate has. Loved it.
I know of Hate but never really gave them a proper listen. Care to recommend an album in particular?

Drowned wrote:
Merciless - The Awakening
Totten Korps - The King of Hell Reclaims His Throne

For Behemoth check out Veld's Daemonic: The Art of Dantalian

Thanks for the recs! Totten Korps is great, one of the few old school local bands I've liked.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:28 pm 

Anaclasis onwards it's all cool stuff, though I'd probably tell you to try Erebos first. It's more dynamic and has some of the best material the band has put out. If you want something a bit more savage you can try Azarath which is Inferno's other band. There's also that band everyone talks about, Sarcoptes or whatever. They're British and released an "Egyptian" album last year I believe.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:04 pm 

Drowned wrote:

I don't think Beyond is really the style that he was looking for, I think Beyond is much more like Necrovore who do play a different style of DM if you ask me.

But I still suggest to check it out, I own it on vinyl and CD for a reason - one of the best albums for me.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:01 pm 

androdion wrote:
There's also that band everyone talks about, Sarcoptes or whatever. They're British and released an "Egyptian" album last year I believe.

Correction, it's Sarpanitum: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sa ... .../473859

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:33 pm 

Are you not familiar with Sarpanitum drodi? They're really fucking good if you're not, just sayin.

Also while I'm here this is something that's been on my mind for a bit. Anything that sounds like Pyaemia's Malodorous Rancidity? I'm particularly in love with the bit right after the bass noodle, from 1:08 to about 1:35 and then again towards the end of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vraYjjHm_QY

Also I already know of Disavowed so yeah not them. Really just specifically that part of the song is what I'm after.

Azmodes wrote:

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 pm 

I am actually, just didn't remember their name correctly (and there's a new thread for Sarcoptes, and I wrote that post on a run on my phone, and I'm getting old... :lol:). I remember hearing their debut, which was praised to hell and back, and not thinking much of it. The sophomore sees history repeating itself. ;)

Goddammit, blasting Exterminate again thanks to these recs and I have only one word: RRRRRRUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:57 pm 

Ohh very good!! Damn you got in before my edit... you're one of my go to guru's for death metal so hopefully you see it later.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:24 pm 

Oh my, I haven't listened to Pyaemia and Disavowed in almost a decade! Ha, good times when everything was blunt blunted blunter. :D

I won't mention any of the bands on the similar artists tab, so how about some of these:

- Deamon's Descend Dethrone, really noodly bass and groovey semi-technical with a bit of a Suffocation flair.
- Insision's Beneath the Folds of Flesh (OK OK, so this one is on the similar artists tab but it's a really cool album from memory).
- Beheaded's Perpetual Mockery reminds me a lot of the Style on Cerebral Cereal, the rest of their discography is kind of meh...

There's Flaying from Latvia and Enthrallment from Bulgaria but they both have one feet on the grind, though the later does have an overly clanking bass on the sophomore album. The former has a bit of a Cryptopsy vibe too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdd29RPLIj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_CjdfJJ2G4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMyrNn9jgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvA6GtryXTQ (I think something's missing here, my CD runtime is nearly 30 minutes)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 290  Next