Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:40 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
NbleSavage wrote:
Killer find! Very progressive!
@IamDBR - any pointers to the 'Worthwhile Albums' thread you mentioned? Would love to check it out!

Cheers!

I sent you a pm about that because I think this thread isn't the best place for that huge wall of text.

Cheers!

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:54 pm 

Anyone know of any songs or albums that use both faster crust punk-like riffs and slower death/doom riffs like this (preferably with production and guitar tone somewhere in between the two genres):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDn791jCm3I
(about 0:03-0:27 is the crust punk riff I'm talking about, and then comes the death/doom riff)

Edit: I remembered another band kind of in this style: Outer Heaven (although their faster riffs are sometimes more in the death metal style with tremolo picked passages as opposed to more crust punk-y riffs like Act of Impalement).

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 am 

How about Bomb of Hades:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bom ... des/101349

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:37 am 

IamDBR wrote:

Thanks! I forgot about this band (although I'm not much of a fan of their music).

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:19 pm 

I'm looking for Caverncore, or Cavernous Death Metal or whatever you want to call it. Bands like Voidspawn, Blood Incantation and the like. bonus points if they have under 300 listeners on last.fm.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:17 pm 

iAm wrote:
I'm looking for Caverncore, or Cavernous Death Metal or whatever you want to call it. Bands like Voidspawn, Blood Incantation and the like. bonus points if they have under 300 listeners on last.fm.

Pneuma Hagion, from what I recall, fits that on all ends.

https://pneumahagion.bandcamp.com/album/trinity-i

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:16 pm 

iAm wrote:

Disma, Vasaeleth, Auroch, Mitochondrion, Phobocosm, Spectral Voice, Impetuous Ritual, Abyssal, Adversarial, Antidiluvian, Grave Miasma, Grave Upheaval, Teitanblood, Qrixkuor, Necros Christos, Paroxsihzem, Irkallian Oracle, Dire Omen, Howls of Ebb, Altars, Ritual Necromancy, Rites of thy Degringolade, Monomakh, Altarage, Arkhon Infaustus, Ectovoid, Khthoniik Cerviiks, Dominous Xul, Genocide Shrines, Desolate Shrine, Heresiarch, Ignivomous, Father Befouled, Lvcifyre, Prosanctus Inferi, Cruciamentum, Nauseant, Nucleus, Zealotry, Stargazer, Uggae Command, Imprecation, Infester, Execration, Decrepitaph, Sempiternal Dusk, Sheol, Blasphemophagher, Cemetery Urn, Corpsessed, Temple Nightside, Temple Below, Sonne Adam, Zhrine, Molested, Weapon, Swallowed, Malthusian, and Chthe'ilist.

The term Caverncore really covers such a wide range of styles that it's hard to pinpoint what people want, so i gave a bit of everything. The term can mean forms of death metal incorporating tech death, post-death, atmospherics, war metal, death/doom, and all sorts of other bullshit so here's a pretty decent list of bands you should like; it's all raw, old school type shit. Generally, most death metal releases on Profound Lore, Dark Descent, Iron Bonehead, or Invictus Productions will have shit in this style.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:03 am 

Thanks both you guys. I know most of those Blarg, but there are a few that I've missed. I'll check them out.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:45 am 

Fist in Fetus | Progressive Death Metal/Grindcore with Classical influences:

As soon as I saw that genre description I knew I had to hear it. It's unlike anything I've heard before, definitely out there. Check this out if you want something a bit different. Too bad they only managed one release before the project was seemingly abandoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3rL1OEUbdU
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fis ... tus/111352

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:15 pm 

iAm wrote:

Ange de la Mort and Flittering: 2 bands from MA's own ShaolinLambKiller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iWPQwQNTLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogO3MkbEu4E

Muknal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnrK0K76S_w

You might also try Dragged into Sunlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnrK0K76S_w
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:26 pm 

On a side note, I ordered a Voidspawn combo from Unspeakable Axe on Friday and I got it on Monday. Label is in GA, I'm in IL. Never seen shipping that fast. Only like $21 including shipping too, for a shirt and CD.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:14 pm 

Re: caverncore (ish) bands.
blarg223 wrote:
Auroch

I posted this in the now listening thread, but I just finished Auroch's new album Mute Books and it is pretty awesome. Stepping a bit away from really murky stuff two of the guys do in Mitochondrion, but full of wicked and weird riffs, and lots of cool and different vocals styles. Definitely worth checking out.

Infernal Torment
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:02 am 

Anyone know any Groovy Death Metal like Six Feet Under

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:14 am 

Perhaps too obvious but Bolt Thrower, the new Decapitated, Entombed, Obituary. Dying Fetus is pretty groovy though they are more brutal/tech death oriented.
Other similar but comparatively less known bands are Debauchery, Gorefest, Gorelord, Torture Killer, Corpse Molester Cult etc.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:13 pm 

Infernal Torment wrote:

How about Lowbrow - Victims at Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYOgg2cy-qY

Jungle Rot - anything, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szjamlmsip0

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:05 am 

iAm wrote:

Try these: Serpentrance, Aethevorous, Heresiarch, Paroxsihzem, Escarnium, Irkallian Oracle, and Maveth.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:37 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Try these: Serpentrance, Aethevorous, Heresiarch, Paroxsihzem, Escarnium, Irkallian Oracle, and Maveth.

I know Paroxshizem and Irkallian Oracle. Thank you I'll check out the others. I have a pretty solid understanding of this style now but will always be looking for stuff that sounds like Blood Incantation and the like.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:15 am 

I have another for you also in the form of Kosmokrator from Belgium. Their new EP First Step to Supremacy is worth shelling out for. Fucking awesome stuff, that leans slightly more into black territory. Seriously good.

Death Worship

Damn that's good...

AcidWorm wrote:
Serpentrance

Yeah. This is great stuff. Would like to see a full length, and the EP available on CD.

My collection

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:28 am 

Infernal Torment wrote:

Just about anything by Kam Lee.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 am 

Anybody here familiar with Damnatory from Switzerland? I'm looking for more stuff like their Hybridized Deformities EP. Gloomy and hypnotic but still heavy as hell. One thing I like a lot about said EP is that it's still heavy but the production doesn't make it a brutal listen - has that kinda murky/mellow production for death metal where the bass and lower drums sound warm and rich, the snare isnt too loud and the cymbals don't cut through everything.

But most importantly they wrote killer tunes, very gloomy and atmospheric WITHOUT employing usual tropes to achieve those ends like clean guitar passages and keys - all atmosphere comes from the riffs alone.

Any suggestions?

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:13 pm 

I just recently listened to Deicide's first two albums and Vital Remains' first album. Where do I go from here?

Edit: Looking for similar bands.

Last edited by TrueDynamite on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:58 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
I just recently listened to Deicide's first two albums and Vital Remains' first album. Where do I go from here?

For Deicide, you've mostly heard it all by now. I'd check out Serpents of the Light next. After that, it's on your own risk. Feel free to completely disregard at least the following albums: Insineratehym, In Torment In Hell, Till Death Do Us Part.

Vital Remains is probably quite safe for chronological exploration. If you want something more modern, try a later album.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:07 pm 

I was actually looking for similar bands (I should have said that - sorry! *facepalm*), but that was just as informative! I think finding the right album is half the battle for me when I'm trying to get into new bands.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:45 pm 

Aeon(Swe) is a lot similar to Deicide, only more consistent.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:38 pm 

Pre-Aeon band Defaced Creation is going to be much like what you want. Luciferion from Sweden are another great name to look into.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:10 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:

Luciferion - Demonification (Swedish band and this album is very similar to Deicide. 2nd album is good too, but not as similar to what you are asking for)

Infestdead - Anything (Killing Christ EP is their best work in my opinion. It is another one of Dan Swano's many projects, but it is similar in style to Deicide)

Check the similar artists tab as well. Should find some good recommendations that way.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:47 pm 

I liked all of those bands! Is there a reason why these bands are all anti-Christian? It doesn't bother me, but I'm just curious.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:05 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:

Check out Forever Underground and Dechristianize by Vital Remains if you enjoyed their first album. I also highly recommend The Ten Commandments and Retribution by Malevolent Creation if you liked the old school Florida death metal sound. The first one is very thrashy, but the second one tones the thrash down a bit and has more death metal. Also, please, do not ignore Morbid Angel.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:34 am 

TrueDynamite wrote:
I liked all of those bands! Is there a reason why these bands are all anti-Christian? It doesn't bother me, but I'm just curious.

What better way to sell yourself as being EEEEEEEVILLLLLLLLLL, man?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:10 am 

Guys I need some brutal/slam death metal with 'interesting' vocals. Something in the vein of Wormed (was just listening to Krigshu, man what a masterpiece). Doesn't matter if I can't make out a single word, the crazier the better.

Also, is there a something out there worthy of being called progressive brutal death? If so recommed me some bands. While stuff like Defeated Sanity is great, I'm not looking for bands like that. The closest thing I can think of is Swine Overlord.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:53 am 

Some of the sickest BDM vocals I know:

-Viscera Trail
-Excoriation
-Afterbirth (Check out the classic Psychopathic Embryotomy demo from '93, some of the earliest gutturals)
Sect of Execration
-Gutrot
-Delusional Parasitosis
-Orchidectomy
-Cephalotripsy
-Heinous Killings
-Pustulated

That's some of the most inhuman shit I know. There's a lot more, just drawing a blank right now. As for proggy BDM, the first thing that comes to mind is Lykathea Aflame. Others might be the latest Disentomb album, Iniquitous Deeds, !T.O.O.H.!, Mithras, Cephalectomy, Artificial Brain,etc. I know most of those probably aren't what you're looking for, just trying to think of outside-the-box brutal death you might dig. Prog BDM is definitely not a genre that has been explored very much. Most of the very unique brutal death out there isn't so in a proggy way, more in a dissonant or experimental way.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:55 am 

For the Wormed part, Inherit Disease has a similar approach to vocals, but probably not quite what you're looking for. 7H.Target might be a better choice (if you can get past that awful tin snare).

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:58 am 

Also, pertaining to the Deicide convo above, you may be interested in Centurian. The first album is very Deicide-esque, just a bit more speedy/fiery.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:06 am 

blarg223 wrote:
Some of the sickest BDM vocals I know:

-Viscera Trail
-Excoriation
-Afterbirth (Check out the classic Psychopathic Embryotomy demo from '93, some of the earliest gutturals)
Sect of Execration
-Gutrot
-Delusional Parasitosis
-Orchidectomy
-Cephalotripsy
-Heinous Killings
-Pustulated

Apart from a couple of those bands I'm not familiar with any of these. Going to check this shit out.

blarg223 wrote:
That's some of the most inhuman shit I know. There's a lot more, just drawing a blank right now. As for proggy BDM, the first thing that comes to mind is Lykathea Aflame. Others might be the latest Disentomb album, Iniquitous Deeds, !T.O.O.H.!, Mithras, Cephalectomy, Artificial Brain,etc. I know most of those probably aren't what you're looking for, just trying to think of outside-the-box brutal death you might dig. Prog BDM is definitely not a genre that has been explored very much. Most of the very unique brutal death out there isn't so in a proggy way, more in a dissonant or experimental way.

Was just listening to the Lykathea Aflame album after I saw all those positive reviews. Have Disentomb on my 'to listen' list because they were surprisingly good. The new Mithras album is a top contendor for best death metal albums of 2016. !T.O.O.H.! is way too carnivaly for me. The rest I'm not familiar with...but not for long :-P

acid_bukkake wrote:
For the Wormed part, Inherit Disease has a similar approach to vocals, but probably not quite what you're looking for. 7H.Target might be a better choice (if you can get past that awful tin snare).

I know about 7H.Target, although I need to give their stuff more listens. Not familiar with Inherit Disease so it's still worth a shot :)

Thanks a lot guys!

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:24 am 

I wasn't sure how well-versed you were in BDM so I tested the waters with some decently underground bands. A few more you may find interest in vocally:

Putridity
Devangelic
Guttural Secrete
Despondency
Cerebral Effusion
Tools of Torture
Digested Flesh
Vomit Remnants
Jenovavirus

Good luck with the proggy BDM. As I said, there's not really a lot out there that comfortably fits within both descriptors.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:39 am 

blarg223 wrote:
I wasn't sure how well-versed you were in BDM so I tested the waters with some decently underground bands. A few more you may find interest in vocally:

Putridity
Devangelic
Guttural Secrete
Despondency
Cerebral Effusion
Tools of Torture
Digested Flesh
Vomit Remnants
Jenovavirus

Good luck with the proggy BDM. As I said, there's not really a lot out there that comfortably fits within both descriptors.

There are probably some weird kids out there experimenting I'm sure. For now maybe I'll have more luck on the tech death side of things.
Got 2.5/9 this time :lol: Will check 'em out later. Thanks!

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:27 pm 

Ok lemme think of some prog or prog related DM bands....

Vuvr (sounds like Atheist with 70s funk)
Phlebotomized
Obscura
Martyr
Obliveon
Multiplex
Illogicist
Disharmonic Orchestra
Nocturnus
Sadist
Pitbulls in the Nursery
Nucleus
Nauseant
Demilich
Last Sacrament (microtonal guitar death metal)
Contrarian
Chthe'ilist
Morbus Chron
Polluted Inheritance
Anata
Wicked Innocence
Irreversible Mechanism
Blood Incantation
Augury
Gorod
Ulcerate
Pyrrhon
Gorguts
Gigan
Baring Teeth
Ad Nauseam
Zealotry
Sarpanitum
Geryon (guitarless prog death)
Neoandertals (another guitarless band, just a lot more brutal than prog)
Inanimate Existence
Gory Blister (early)
First Fragment
Alkaloid
Beyond Creation
Carcariass
Dark Millenium
Aeon of Horus
Pestifer
Terminally Your Aborted Ghost (spazzy death grind with mathcore influence...trust me, it's cool)
Orgone
Diskord
Timeghoul
Creepmime
ByoNoise Generator (probably as close to prog BDM as you'll find)
Involuntary Convulsions (sounds like DS's first album, but more jazzy I think)
Cosmic Atrophy
Encenethrakh (super weird, sounds like pure noise at first. listen with good head phones, it's absolutely hellish. good luck, research the band before listening to understand it better)
Giant of the Mountain
Kthoniik Cerviiks (like war metal combined with post death a la Pyrrhon or Ulcerate)
Oppressor (first album)
Ghoulgotha

Ok, so that's an insanely wide range of stuff. Some tech death, some OSDM with off kilter melodies that can be construed as proggy, some atmospheric post death that experiments with dissonance. I dunno, "progressive" can mean so many widely differing things to so many people. Some clarification might be nice lol

Last edited by blarg223 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:47 pm 

^Whoa you are spoiling me dude :lol: I've got enough to last months! Also, that Encenathrakh is pure hell. I checked it out a few months ago when somebody sold them as 'free form' brutal death on some obscure blog. Uncompromisng brutality taken to the extreme. Plus it is much better than that Enmity album. Also since you've shown me so many bands I think I should throw a few your way too. Check out:

Coma Cluster Void - Gorguts + Dillinger + old Cryptopsy = mindfuck that is almost painful & actually challenging to listen to. Expect tons of dissonance, odd time signatures, crazy rhythms & intense yet varied vocal attack.

Swine Overlord - Mentioned them earlier but still. Apart from being influenced by other death metal acts, they also cite prog bands like Tool, Opeth etc. as influences. They claim to be prog brutal death & I can agree with their claim for the most part.

No One Gets Out Alive - Slam death mixed with bluegrass, commonly referred to as 'banjo slam'.

Impureza - Flamenco infused death metal in the vein of Nile. Good shit.

Vulvodynia - Brutal death mixed with some deathcore, they dropped a really awesome album this year even if you don'tlike -core this is some top notch shit. One of the best this style has to offer.

Anaal Nathrakh - Experimental black metal that can give a lot of brutal death a run for its money. A clusterfuck that ends up being memorable because of how epic it sounds. Self-proclaimed soundtrack for the apocalypse.

Entheos - A new prog death metal band that dropped a pretty unique album this year (or was it '15?) Either way plenty of fresh stuff on here with standout bass performance.

Acrania - Now defunct brutal deathcore act with a crazy vocalist spewing all sorts of political shit. One of the more original bands in this style.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:17 pm 

Honestly hate the fuck out of most of those bands lol.
-CCV I haven't heard yet, but heard promising things about.
-Swine Overlord I remember liking but haven't heard anything they've done recently, though I really dug the Guang Yang album art they released a while back.
-NOGOA is the worst, trendiest garbage I've ever heard.
-Impureza is a cool idea well executed.
-Vulvodynia is insanely generic slam for core kids.
-I hate grind and black metal fiercly so AN is the two genres I hate most smashed together.
-Entheos I haven't bothered to check out.
-Acrania is awful, watered down slam core.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:45 pm 

Could I get recommendations for a death metal album that sounds like Deicide's Scars of the Crucifix or similar to it? Thanks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 290  Next