Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:42 am 

I was listening to the track Level Five from KC's album The Power to Believe and it almost struck me as a song that could easily be made a prog/tech death metal one if the drumming was slightly different:

I would like to hear such DM with this highly dissonant but musical sensibility. I think some of the stuff that gets called "dissonant death" just uses the lack of melody to suffocate and give the listener an impression of "evilness" which is OK but not what I'm looking for. This track on the other hand is actually quite sublime in moments, like listen out for Belew's solo at 5:02 and how perfectly he plays around and follows the riff Fripp is playing. Reminds me of certain James Murphy solos, like the one at the intro of Obituary's Infected:

So it's not necessarily tech death I'm looking for, just death metal with this peculiar sense of harmony exemplified by Fripp and Belew. Don't recommend me Cynic btw, they are way too melodic and busy. Although I only know Focus so what do I know maybe I'm wrong.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:47 am 

Maybe this one?

This one also has clear influence by The ConstruKction of Light.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:10 pm 

Interesting question, some of the more 'dissonant' elements of that King Crimson track could be found in something like Antediluvian (this song in particular):

I'd also recommend checking out Last Sacrament's album from 2013, which has a bunch of very odd solos, though nothing quite like the solo you describe at the end of that KC track.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:54 pm 

Try this, you will probably love Obscura.

LUCIFORUS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:13 pm 

Portal were very influenced by LTIA and Red

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:56 pm 

Wasn't King Crimson mentioned a lot of times when the last ATG album was release?

Reply to topic