Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xileize
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:31 am
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:06 am 
 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
I've had an extremely hard time trying to find power metal that has both huge wailing Euro-power hooks and choruses and almighty guitar riffage. The European, especially German power metal bands that have an extra dose of riffage (Abraxas, Paragon, Iron Savior, STS 8 Mission, etc., etc.) usually have a pretty restrained vocal style. My power metal holy grail is something like "The Marriage of Helloween and Helstar". Like take that Keldian album, kill the keyboards, jack up the tempo, rev the vocals up an octave and a half, and dump the combined riffing power of Nosferatu, Iron Savior, and Alice in Hell into a balls to the wall shrieking, wailing, riffing colossus.

(Keepers Helloween, no Deris shit)


Have you listened to the album Timeless Miracle - Into The Enchanted Chamber? It might be a step in the right direction for what you are looking for, though it does still have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMVPtUc-q0

There's also Derdian, though it does also have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5KD7SyhNI

Another option is Lost Horizon, but I'd be surprised if you haven't heard anything by them!

EDIT: Upon further thought, I think you may be looking for something more along the lines of Scanner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFd6D8f4c8


Last edited by Xileize on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 am
Posts: 497
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 am 
 

doooooooooooom wrote:
Is there such thing as depressing/melancholic power metal? If so, I'd be very interested in some recommendations.


Early Tad Morose is what you need specifically their first two albums. Check out the song "Different Eyes".

Also the band Mind's Eye is brilliant for crafting melancholic prog tinged power metal songs.



Virgin Steele really has some brilliant melancholic tunes too;







_________________
Thrash Was Born In Bloody Stourbridge!
marktheviktor wrote:
I think the guys in Metallica suffer from a condition known as Metal Sclerosis: the cognitive disability to play metal anymore.

Top
 Profile  
Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 pm
Posts: 1636
Location: Far beyond the prophecy of tyrant guardians
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:47 am 
 

Xileize wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
I've had an extremely hard time trying to find power metal that has both huge wailing Euro-power hooks and choruses and almighty guitar riffage. The European, especially German power metal bands that have an extra dose of riffage (Abraxas, Paragon, Iron Savior, STS 8 Mission, etc., etc.) usually have a pretty restrained vocal style. My power metal holy grail is something like "The Marriage of Helloween and Helstar". Like take that Keldian album, kill the keyboards, jack up the tempo, rev the vocals up an octave and a half, and dump the combined riffing power of Nosferatu, Iron Savior, and Alice in Hell into a balls to the wall shrieking, wailing, riffing colossus.

(Keepers Helloween, no Deris shit)


Have you listened to the album Timeless Miracle - Into The Enchanted Chamber? It might be a step in the right direction for what you are looking for, though it does still have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMVPtUc-q0

There's also Derdian, though it does also have keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5KD7SyhNI

Another option is Lost Horizon, but I'd be surprised if you haven't heard anything by them!

EDIT: Upon further thought, I think you may be looking for something more along the lines of Scanner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFd6D8f4c8


Yeah Scanner (which I have heard before) is closer to what I'm looking for (if Scanner had Lost Horizon's vocals it would be closer still). The Timeless Miracle song just sounds like typical Euro-power to me (lots of root chords) and I didn't like the Derdian song at all.
_________________
Wilytank wrote:
Of course, nothing respectable about the penis. We gents need to all grab the nearest sharp object and start hacking.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:22 am 
 

iamntbatman wrote:
Harbinger - This rules. Pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!


Score! I'm really glad to hear that you liked 'em. If you end up snagging the album (highly recommended, it's dirt cheap all over the internet) you'll find that they're not constant speed all the time, but when they slow down it's usually to do something really cool and only bolsters the power of the speed when it returns.

I dig the vocals too. They're snotty.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7571
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:41 am 
 

Yeah, it was cool for sure. I'd love to buy it but for now I have to completely curtail my music purchasing as I'm trying to save up as much money as possible and am therefore practicing a monkish asceticism, plus I don't wanna add more CD's to a collection that's about to go into storage for years anyway.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
Exigence
Age: 28 (Wait, what?!)

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 pm
Posts: 819
Location: New Orleans
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:10 pm 
 

I still can't piece together why people love the new Primal Fear. It's so boring. And usually I defend boring midtempo power metal but their hooks do not sink in at all. It's been their problem since Devil's Ground. The same goes for their bassist's band, Sinner, who used to be one of my favorites and then completely gave up after "There Will Be Execution".

Sad to see my German brothers stop giving a shit.
_________________
"I adore war. It's like a big picnic without the objectiveness of a picnic. I've never been so well or happy. No one grumbles at one for being dirty."

Top
 Profile  
Xileize
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:31 am
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:08 pm 
 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Yeah Scanner (which I have heard before) is closer to what I'm looking for (if Scanner had Lost Horizon's vocals it would be closer still). The Timeless Miracle song just sounds like typical Euro-power to me (lots of root chords) and I didn't like the Derdian song at all.


Now that I have a better idea of what to suggest, I have a few more options. I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard a lot of them before, if not all of them.

Attack - The Secret Place. I'm a big fan of these guys, every album is great in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7wKbWsH01E

Persuader - Evolution Purgatory. A lot heavier and harsher than a lot of euro power, the singer gets compared to Hansi Kursch of Blind Guardian a lot. Sometimes I can hear it quite distinctly, sometimes I can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiO-5uA41NI

Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom. This album is incredible from start to finish, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThaGerRmp9Y

Nocturnal Rites - Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I've only listened to this a few times myself and I'm still not sure about it. I'll have to give it a few more spins before I can say how I feel about it, but I thought I'd share it none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eD7LkuaFX8

Stratovarius - Fright Night. This album is quite unlike all the rest, it's a lot more straight forward and it people seem to have mixed views on it. I personally much prefer Twilight Time and Dreamspace, but that's just me. Seeing as you suggested Dreamspace to someone last page though, I will assume you've probably given it a listen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UFuFQjXTTw

Heaven's Gate - Livin' In Hysteria. Not sure if I'm a fan of the vocals, but they'll probably grow on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aux4OxNkHcg

Heavy Load - Death Or Glory. I'm not sure if I prefer this album or Stronger Than Evil, but this one is heavier and more straight foward, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfcz-JZaCo

I personally find that vocals are what stop me from enjoying certain bands the most, so that's probably the hardest thing to pinpoint for me. Either way, hopefully at least one thing will interest you if you haven't heard them all before, even if it's not what you were looking for!

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9608
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 pm 
 

Jonpo wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Harbinger - This rules. Pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!

Score! I'm really glad to hear that you liked 'em. If you end up snagging the album (highly recommended, it's dirt cheap all over the internet) you'll find that they're not constant speed all the time, but when they slow down it's usually to do something really cool and only bolsters the power of the speed when it returns.

I dig the vocals too. They're snotty.

Yeah Harbinger are pretty sweet, their debut is one of the last albums I got before I scaled back my album buying. It came out back in 2009, makes me wonder if they'll ever put out anything else.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 pm 
 

Holy shit, what?! There's a new Ancient Bards coming out tomorrow and no one told me?! AND IT HAS A COVER OF "MELODIES OF LIFE" FROM FINAL FANTASY IX IN IT?!?

I think I shall have to listen to this.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18926
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:25 am 
 

Yeah we pretty much all conspired to make sure you knew nothing about it. Worked pretty well I guess.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Predator 2

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:26 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah we pretty much all conspired to make sure you knew nothing about it. Worked pretty well I guess.

You bastards! :grr:
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 pm
Posts: 1636
Location: Far beyond the prophecy of tyrant guardians
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:40 pm 
 

Xileize wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
Yeah Scanner (which I have heard before) is closer to what I'm looking for (if Scanner had Lost Horizon's vocals it would be closer still). The Timeless Miracle song just sounds like typical Euro-power to me (lots of root chords) and I didn't like the Derdian song at all.


Now that I have a better idea of what to suggest, I have a few more options. I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard a lot of them before, if not all of them.

Attack - The Secret Place. I'm a big fan of these guys, every album is great in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7wKbWsH01E

Persuader - Evolution Purgatory. A lot heavier and harsher than a lot of euro power, the singer gets compared to Hansi Kursch of Blind Guardian a lot. Sometimes I can hear it quite distinctly, sometimes I can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiO-5uA41NI

Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom. This album is incredible from start to finish, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThaGerRmp9Y

Nocturnal Rites - Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I've only listened to this a few times myself and I'm still not sure about it. I'll have to give it a few more spins before I can say how I feel about it, but I thought I'd share it none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eD7LkuaFX8

Stratovarius - Fright Night. This album is quite unlike all the rest, it's a lot more straight forward and it people seem to have mixed views on it. I personally much prefer Twilight Time and Dreamspace, but that's just me. Seeing as you suggested Dreamspace to someone last page though, I will assume you've probably given it a listen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UFuFQjXTTw

Heaven's Gate - Livin' In Hysteria. Not sure if I'm a fan of the vocals, but they'll probably grow on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aux4OxNkHcg

Heavy Load - Death Or Glory. I'm not sure if I prefer this album or Stronger Than Evil, but this one is heavier and more straight foward, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfcz-JZaCo

I personally find that vocals are what stop me from enjoying certain bands the most, so that's probably the hardest thing to pinpoint for me. Either way, hopefully at least one thing will interest you if you haven't heard them all before, even if it's not what you were looking for!


Those are closer (and I have listened to Fright Night and Evolution Purgatory before, but none of those are quite as over the top I'm looking for (they're plenty good in their own right but they're not the sound I have a jones for right now), except Evolution Purgatory, but that album is too modern sounding and "aggro". Heaven's Gate comes closest, if they took crystal meth before recording their album they'd be even closer.
_________________
Wilytank wrote:
Of course, nothing respectable about the penis. We gents need to all grab the nearest sharp object and start hacking.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm 
 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah Harbinger are pretty sweet, their debut is one of the last albums I got before I scaled back my album buying. It came out back in 2009, makes me wonder if they'll ever put out anything else.


That whole Michigan crew is so incestuous with all their different bands and projects, who knows what happens next. The Harbinger album does have a "one and done" feel to me for some reason. Kind of like they've said everything they had to say. I wish I hadn't missed so much of their set in Chicago...didn't know how good they were.

BATJIM: One last recommendation but I need to throw some qualifiers. For one, it's an older band so you may have heard them already. Secondly, please keep in mind that they are not speed metal, they just have a few speed metal jams on their album. But the entire album has this effortlessly catchy sound, and the vocalist has personality coming out of his nose:

_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9608
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:53 pm 
 

Their new stuff is actually pretty sweet too, though not speedy.

_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:39 pm 
 

You know I've still not checked out ANYTHING else by them besides Fire in the Brain. Do they have other stuff from the 80s you would say is worth while?

I've been obsessing over the In Solitude debut lately. Those opening 3 songs are SO powerful. Especially The Kathedral works it's magic on me every time.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7571
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 pm 
 

My favorite from the album is still "The Monolith." That chorus...
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm 
 

You're right, I just haven't internalized the back half of the album as much yet. He delivers "all hail Satan" like he REALLY fucking means it though and I always adore that.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9608
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:24 pm 
 

I'm pretty disappointed with the direction that In Solitude ended up going. Not that the third album is bad exactly, more that what the band were was a lot more worthwhile and important to metal as a whole. How many straight-up heavy metal bands are delivering "all hail Satan" as convincingly, these days? If they'd just refined that sound they could've been this generation's Mercyful Fate or something, instead they're dabbling with other genres and diluting their glorious satanic purity!

In fact, that annoys me about a lot of newer bands. I've heard a lot of debuts which had me thinking "pretty good, but if they keep at it for another album or two they could be great," but then the band just gives up on that initial sound and heads in a new, usually worse, direction. Portrait is an example of a band that didn't do that, and it turned out fucking awesome for them.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18926
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm 
 

The debut is still my favorite In Solitude. I wouldn't say any of their albums are great, but that one comes pretty close - some nice riffs and scorching leads going on. Just fun, old school metal ... nice, frivolous attitude.

OZ's Dominator album smokes pretty hard. I was addicted to that when it came out, great old school fun. I should listen to it again.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Predator 2

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm 
 

Man, I JUST came back to heap more praise on the debut. I was an idiot for even trying to point out specific songs. They were on fire. 7th Ghost is a riffing feast.

I haven't had the heart to check out Sister. I never even really understood their sophomore album, there were a few cool moments but nothing ever drew me back.

I'm going to listen to Portrait soon I guess. I can't afford to miss out on something potentially as good or better than this album.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9608
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:42 pm 
 

Portait's debut isn't that great, the singer kinda sucks, but on the second one they got a new guy and the songwriting got a lot better and HOLY SHIT IT RULES.



Also their third album came out today! I don't really have a fully-formed opinion on it yet but it isn't really a departure from their sound on the second album, which is a very good thing.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 696
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
AND IT HAS A COVER OF "MELODIES OF LIFE" FROM FINAL FANTASY IX IN IT?!?

I think I shall have to listen to this.


Holy shit that's awesome. FF9 is one of my favorite games of all time, due in no small part to the incredible soundtrack!
_________________
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Don't need food, I got metal! Don't need air, I got metal! Don't need love, I.... uhhhh.... *cries*

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:02 pm 
 

Can't listen to the track at the moment but I'll try to come back for it. The album's cheap so I went ahead and snagged it.

(And Volcanic Rock but that's not relevant)
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8701
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:03 pm 
 

In Solitude's debut was a pretty damn good trad metal album but their sophomore had longer songs and it was not as cohesive and enjoyable. It still had catchy numbers like Demons or Serpents are Rising though. Sister brought something new to the table, I really liked the gothic rock influences, it's fresh and it felt like a natural direction!

The new Portrait will surely be good, 42 minutes with 8 songs, pretty much the perfect formula for modern trad metal and the cover art is nice.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Po ... ads/404598
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5382
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 pm 
 

Oish, I should check out the new Portrait too. I really liked their sophomore album.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I wish I had a black hole and an infinite supply of B83 atomic bombs, each time letting the heat barely rub against all of you before sucking it back with a black hole so I could slowly nuke the previous page over and over again for all time.

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9608
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:01 pm 
 



This track sounds pretty awesome, at least.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7571
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 pm 
 

That OZ track was pretty cool, Jonpo. Loved the wacky multi-tracked vocals.

Really good to hear that the new Portrait is good and in a similar vein to the sophomore, as that album totally kills and it'd be a shame if they decided to make a prog album or add a horn section or some shit like that.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 1759
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:09 am 
 

failsafeman wrote:
then the band just gives up on that initial sound and heads in a new, usually worse, direction.

They "mature".
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
Dudemanguy wrote:
Opus is pretty much the latest and greatest

Top
 Profile  
Jophelerx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 688
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:20 pm 
 

Oh man, that Portrait track is super rad. I'm definitely gonna have to check out the new album, hopefully it will all be close to that quality. I've been spinning Attic's debut a lot lately, too. So much sweet MF worship! I wonder if A Tortured Soul will ever put out another album, their last one was so fucking killer.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
eurotrash bro from sabaton, in a letter to exigence: "dude, we're not really even that good"

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9608
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:14 pm 
 

Opus wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
then the band just gives up on that initial sound and heads in a new, usually worse, direction.

They "mature".

Heh, exactly.

Jophelerx wrote:
I wonder if A Tortured Soul will ever put out another album, their last one was so fucking killer.

They've apparently been working on a new one for a while, but you know how it is with these dadbands, they have jobs and families and whatever so it tends to take them forever. Just be patient, I'm sure it'll come out eventually.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
mudrnudl
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am
Posts: 48
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:23 am 
 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
mudrnudl wrote:
Describe "very best vocals" by naming other albums from that collage of yours, please.


Why don't you just describe why you disagree if you are so interested in discussing this matter?

I do not disagree. I just typed it in a funny way. Actually I pretty much agree with you. Would like to know other bands you find that interesting for vocal lines.

Top
 Profile  
mudrnudl
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am
Posts: 48
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:48 am 
 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Those are closer (and I have listened to Fright Night and Evolution Purgatory before, but none of those are quite as over the top I'm looking for (they're plenty good in their own right but they're not the sound I have a jones for right now), except Evolution Purgatory, but that album is too modern sounding and "aggro". Heaven's Gate comes closest, if they took crystal meth before recording their album they'd be even closer.

I absolutely second that Heavens Gate suggestion. They are greatly underrated. I love all of their albums. If I get it right you like if the record has the older feel to it. So try first or second album of theirs.
If I were you I would definitely check out this album - Rawhead Rexx: Rawhead Rexx.
As well as - Crystal Eyes: Vengeance Descending.

These guys are not from Europe however their style is exactly what you are looking for - Inquisicion: Black Leather from Hell.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:55 pm 
 

failsafeman wrote:
Portait's debut isn't that great, the singer kinda sucks, but on the second one they got a new guy and the songwriting got a lot better and HOLY SHIT IT RULES.


Y'know, I never actually checked these guys out before. Sounds like someone took a Persuader track, replaced the vocalist with 80s King Diamond, and gave it a production job to match.

...Bitchin'.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 pm
Posts: 1636
Location: Far beyond the prophecy of tyrant guardians
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:48 pm 
 

mudrnudl wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
Those are closer (and I have listened to Fright Night and Evolution Purgatory before, but none of those are quite as over the top I'm looking for (they're plenty good in their own right but they're not the sound I have a jones for right now), except Evolution Purgatory, but that album is too modern sounding and "aggro". Heaven's Gate comes closest, if they took crystal meth before recording their album they'd be even closer.

I absolutely second that Heavens Gate suggestion. They are greatly underrated. I love all of their albums. If I get it right you like if the record has the older feel to it. So try first or second album of theirs.
If I were you I would definitely check out this album - Rawhead Rexx: Rawhead Rexx.
As well as - Crystal Eyes: Vengeance Descending.

These guys are not from Europe however their style is exactly what you are looking for - Inquisicion: Black Leather from Hell.


Yeah I kind of like that older feeling but I guess here I'm kind of aiming at an intersection between the '80s and '90s, much like Helloween's Keepers albums pointed the way to Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc. while still having one foot in the '80s.

I'm listening to a sampler of the Crystal Eyes album and I quite like what I hear...oh my god it's Daniel Heiman! Yes!

Rawhead Rexx sounds like some pretty badass speed metal, and Inquisicion is like Gamma Ray meets '70s Priest (more successfully than Gamma Ray's own dalliances with Priest worship), definitely my cup of tea.

All three of these recommendations are going on The List. :thumbsup:
_________________
Wilytank wrote:
Of course, nothing respectable about the penis. We gents need to all grab the nearest sharp object and start hacking.

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9608
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:38 pm 
 

FYI Inquisicion's first album is 100x better than anything they did later, at least in my book. Really great stuff. The lead guitar especially is ridonkulous, and the lyrics are awesome as well. HEAR MY PRAYER, SHUB-NIGGURATH! The only knocks against the album is a few songs don't work quite so well, and the production is a bit demo-ish. Otherwise though, 90%+.

_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 6279
Location: Valhalla
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:46 pm 
 

Portait is amazing, don't even speak of Persuader next to them haha.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:37 am 
 

That Portrait song cooks, glad I ordered the album.

Not sure what's going on with this Lord's of the Crimson Alliance digipak CD, but I went ahead and ordered mine. Obviously it's a bootleg, just hoping for a decent quality. I also grabbed that odd little Jotenheim EP Jophelex was telling me about in the chat. Weird shit, way heavier than I expected.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 3803
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm 
 

Heavy Load's "You've Got the Power" is my pre-interview song today. Grad assistantship interview. YOU'VE GOT THE POWER! YOU CAN MAKE YOUR DREAM COME TRUE!

Persuader's Evolution Purgatory was a staple of my high school experience, will always have a huge fondness for that album.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4489
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:27 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:


No CD release?? YOU SON OF A BITCH!

These guys get it. I love the baby Blackie vocals. I love everything about this. It's not a thinker but it's damn sure a mover.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Paka01
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 270
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 pm 
 

Can you give me something similar to first two Iron Maiden albums? nwobhm mixed with a bit of punk.
I'd also like it to have vocals similar to Di'Anno (meaning without Dickinson-type high vocals).

Thanks!
_________________
Band covers and artwork:
Kocka Graphics on Facebook

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439, 440 ... 454  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group