Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:58 pm 

That singer from Saratoga was cool Xlxlx. Much more impressive because it's live.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:03 pm 

Yeah, Leo Jiménez is awesome. I think he showcases his abilities the best in this cover of Pantera's Shattered. He sounds even better than Phil, for fuck's sake! I mean really, this man has one of the best tenor voices I have heard until now, his power and control being something to envy. His English could be a bit better though :-P

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:47 pm 

Relentless is some awesome speed metal, with quite a bit of influence from Megadeth. Anyone know anything about these guys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_E0pBC ... _embedded#!

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:11 am 

I'd consider them thrash to be honest. And surprised they aren't on the archives, looks like you can rack up some points Tom :)

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:18 am 

Yeah melodic thrash seems to be an appropriate description and it straddles the line between the border. And they are on the archives. ;)
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Relentless/61209

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:53 am 

I've been super-lazy with researching new bands over the last couple of years, so... has their been any unique and interesting dark power metal in the vein of Black Destiny, Her Whisper, Dark at Dawn, Arch Nemesis, etc released between 2009-2012?

I'm already aware of Heathendom - they're good, but not exactly what I'm looking for here (despite being Greek, they remind me a lot of Swedish bands like Destiny, Memento Mori, a less-thrashy Pathos, etc).

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 am 

i am in love with heir apparent's second album, the quite underated one small voice...it has grown on me massively....now in my mind it has the same hallowed status as the best from 'ryche or CG.....or HA's debut (which i think it surpasses in maturity)

are there any other albums similar to that amazing record ? kinda seems similar to Transcendence.....with the classic sounding melodies.....and at least 40 % slow to mid paced stuff with those clean bits....

....and how come the amazing vocalist on this (dude called steve benito) has no (?!) no other projects/bands listed at MA.....thats hard to believe given his pipes...internet didnt turn up much either.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:01 am 

I'm diggin' this new album by Damnation Angels. It's like if Kamelot and early Sonata Arctica had a love child.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 am 

suleiman wrote:
i am in love with heir apparent's second album, the quite underated one small voice...it has grown on me massively....now in my mind it has the same hallowed status as the best from 'ryche or CG.....or HA's debut (which i think it surpasses in maturity)

are there any other albums similar to that amazing record ? kinda seems similar to Transcendence.....with the classic sounding melodies.....and at least 40 % slow to mid paced stuff with those clean bits....

....and how come the amazing vocalist on this (dude called steve benito) has no (?!) no other projects/bands listed at MA.....thats hard to believe given his pipes...internet didnt turn up much either.

Steve Benito, we know that's you. Sorry, nobody actually likes that album because it's terrible.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:23 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Steve Benito, we know that's you. Sorry, nobody actually likes that album because it's terrible.

Terrible is a bit strong. There are like, two great tracks. The rest is pretty lame, though.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:28 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
suleiman wrote:

I know and to some extent understand the hate for that record...also its kinda cool to do the group/herd think thang

each to his own : for me its one of the best metal albums from the later 80's.....i can draw comparisons to Transcendence, which is like my holy grail of prog/power metal

has a maturity that the first one lacks..........but again thats just me

btw, anybody know any other band with this steve benito dude

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:18 pm 

So Xxaron's "The Legacy" seems like pretty solid heavy/power, not sure how I've managed to overlook this before. Also, Death Militia's "To Serve and Protect" is some pretty cool power/thrash. Seems like I never run out of good stuff to discover.

A little late, but as for that Lonewolf band, the riffing was great but the singer sucked majorly. Failsafeman's description of him as a second-rate Chris Boltendahl was pretty spot on, and I don't even like Chris himself that much. People need to stop emulating Running Wild and start emulating Manilla Road, dammit! On that note, has anyone heard Realmbuilder? They're not a whole lot like MR but their riffing brings them to mind at times, although the singer's no Mark Shelton. The debut is fairly inconsistent, but the title track in particular is excellent.

Also I've been digging Omen's second album lately, for some reason I never got around to listening to it earlier...still need to check out their third >_>

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:32 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Also I've been digging Omen's second album lately, for some reason I never got around to listening to it earlier...still need to check out their third >_>

Awkward timing, since I threw that in the car today. Think this one is a bit better blasting on the road, while the debut is one to really sink into when you're alone or something.

The third has the fattest BASS for sure out of the three, it stands out a lot with the production in an awesome way. All three albums are pure gold, one of the most consistent trilogies ever.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:01 am 

G'day Folks.

I was just browsing some bands and came across Malice's page and noticed they have a new album coming out in May. The album features James Rivera (That whore) on vocals. Will be interested to see what It's like considering It's the bands first since 1987!!

I searched and couldn't find any samples on the web, which is weird because most bands do this nowadays. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: On further inspection it appears to be mostly re-recorded tracks with 4 new ones. Oh well, will still be interested in seeing what they're like.

EDIT 2: Found a snippet of the re-recorded Hell Rider

Thoughts?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:29 am 

A bit of good news from Riot's facebook: "we are putting things back together in honor of Marks legacy. Changes and new music in the works! Stay tuned!"

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:13 am 

failsafeman wrote:
suleiman wrote:

Seriously, there are plenty of people who like that album.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Carles_2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:01 am 

To power the band unknown old of Brazil: "Viper"

I for more interesting and unknown groups have found this channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MetrallaUnderground

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Seriously, there are plenty of people who like that album.

I refuse to believe it!

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:09 pm 

Quote:
I refuse to believe it!

Never trust an ellipsis addict. I've never actually heard their second album aside from one song years ago, but I just felt like being a nitpicky prick about that pet peeve..

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 pm 

Steve Benito is one of the worst things about that album, too. His vocal performance is completely over-the-top and doesn't match the music, at all. He buries the guitars and robs the songs of what punch they might have otherwise had. Paul Davidson was clearly a better fit for the band.

Really, other than Young Forever there's no song on that album I bother to listen to regularly.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:34 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
G'day Folks.

I was just browsing some bands and came across Malice's page and noticed they have a new album coming out in May. The album features James Rivera (That whore) on vocals. Will be interested to see what It's like considering It's the bands first since 1987!!

I searched and couldn't find any samples on the web, which is weird because most bands do this nowadays. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: On further inspection it appears to be mostly re-recorded tracks with 4 new ones. Oh well, will still be interested in seeing what they're like.

Thoughts?

Hm, I dunno, I'm not sure Rivera is the right fit for the band...he sounds a bit uninspired there, it's a really simple track and not at all the kind of complex, aggressive stuff he's been singing over for years (Destiny's End, Vicious Rumors, latter-day Helstar, etc.). "Hell Rider" was hardly the best track from the debut, though. I'll judge him by how he sings on "Stellar Masters" and "Godz of Thunder", and of course the new material.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 pm 

Do you guys like Pantera's album Power Metal? I think it's some pretty great trad/thrash metal, and I just discovered this incredibly amazing song that sounds like the missing link between that album and Cowboys From Hell... behold: THE WILL TO SURVIVE

Maybe you guys don't feel the same way, but this song is completely blowing me away. Pantera could have put out a grade A USPM record! Who knew!? I guess the interludes are a tad annoying but it's just PURE EIGHTIES AWESOMENESS. Those solos, Phil's voice, that chorus! Am I just super uneducated for thinking this is amazing? I can't stop listening! It's like if early Queensryche was raped by Matthias Steele!

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Also, check the "This Love" riff at 0:35. So great!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 pm 

"Power Metal" is excellent and far superior to many other so-called "classics" of the power metal genre.

Needs a better cover and a remaster.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 am 

sup guys,
I really like Powerwolf - especially the catchiness and the vocalist
I'd like more bands, not necessarily all that similar to Powerwolf, but badass vocals and catchiness has to be there.

examples;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYvsY2XhxoE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0WoXij ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFOWqbv ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5J0qMu_l34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I2x7NwE ... ure=relmfu
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 am 

If you like Powerwolf then you should try Sabaton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01IaKb6DmTw

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:54 am 

Garyuu wrote:
If you like Powerwolf then you should try Sabaton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01IaKb6DmTw

that was fucking beautiful
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 am 

Suffersystem wrote:
sup guys,
I'd like more bands, not necessarily all that similar to Powerwolf, but badass vocals and catchiness has to be there.

Check out Mystic Prophecy, I like them for the same reason you like Powerwolf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7puelZdcBYo (song ends around 4.30 after that it's just silence..)

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 am 

DraakUla wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:
sup guys,

Check out Mystic Prophecy, I like them for the same reason you like Powerwolf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7puelZdcBYo (song ends around 4.30 after that it's just silence..)

This is pretty cool :DD

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 am 

nothing like Powerwolf or Sabaton but I can't resist to recommend Ironsword. Since you asked for sth "Darkish, Badass" (in your thread's title) you should give them a chance. Epic stuff with a rough edge, balls and great, catchy choruses!

have a try with these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpIatcdazG0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skgWmvFPhxI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQFivNPI1g (keeping in mind early Maiden, this song's title makes even more "sense" ;) )

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:02 am 

Powerwolf sucks, but try the actual Wolf for a much better and cooler sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMjIvzjeoE

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:40 am 

Powerwolf? Ewwwwww. Their core metallic sound resembles the folk metal gimmick that has maybe ran out of steam now (one can hope) but they've replaced it with some lame Gothic werewolf/vampire metal. Sabaton are similarly vapid.

WAR-SORE CITY AT WAR! 1944!

The stupid... it burns! :(

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:11 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Hm, I dunno, I'm not sure Rivera is the right fit for the band...he sounds a bit uninspired there, it's a really simple track and not at all the kind of complex, aggressive stuff he's been singing over for years (Destiny's End, Vicious Rumors, latter-day Helstar, etc.). "Hell Rider" was hardly the best track from the debut, though. I'll judge him by how he sings on "Stellar Masters" and "Godz of Thunder", and of course the new material.

I think Rivera should've stayed in VICIOUS RUMORS and Brian Allen should've stayed in MALICE. Their styles fit best with those bands.

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Powerwolf? Ewwwwww. Their core metallic sound resembles the folk metal gimmick that has maybe ran out of steam now (one can hope) but they've replaced it with some lame Gothic werewolf/vampire metal. Sabaton are similarly vapid.

Empyreal wrote:
Powerwolf sucks, but try the actual Wolf for a much better and cooler sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMjIvzjeoE

I thought this was a recommendation thread. Not a "bash on people's taste" thread.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
G'day Folks.

Thoughts?

Sounds better than modern Helstar. :P

But yeah could totally hear a thicker voice fitting this better. Imagine Gattis blowing this fucking song apart with his voice.

Maybe Gattis should've been in the new VR!

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:35 pm 

I think I just realized that power metal is in fact the greatest thing ever.
the badassery, the vocals, the keys, the derpy accents, the war themes
I need more omfg

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:41 pm 

Garyuu wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Empyreal wrote:

I thought this was a recommendation thread. Not a "bash on people's taste" thread.

I agree with that, Acro, give the guy some recommendations as well if you want to bash him. Come on you britcunt!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:26 am 

It's more of a discussion/recommendation thread. Nobody was bashing on anyone's taste here, just bands they don't like. If you can't handle opposing opinions, don't bother posting.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:43 am 

Looking for USPM that also uses atmospheric keyboards here and there. So far I only know Tony Martin era Black Sabbath, early Fates Warning and Virgin Steele. Anything I'm missing?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:27 pm 

I've not delved into Pharaoh that much yet, but they seem like they'd be up your alley.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:29 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I've not delved into Pharaoh that much yet, but they seem like they'd be up your alley.

Don't really like that band. Maybe I should check their recent album. Is it any different from Be Gone? Cause if it isn't I won't like it probably.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 624  Next