Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:57 pm 

I'd also like to state that I'm getting severely pissed at this stupid fucking stereotype of power metal being "cheesy", "flowery", or "gay". You obviously know nothing about the genre if that's is your only perception of it.

"Non cheesy power metal." Gim'me a fucking break.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I'd also like to state that I'm getting severely pissed at this stupid fucking stereotype of power metal being "cheesy", "flowery", or "gay". You obviously know nothing about the genre if that's is your only perception of it.

No disagreements here. People listen to one song by Sonata Arctica or Helloween and assume there's nothing else to it. Ignorance at its finest.

That's completely ignoring the fact that Power Metal has been cheesy ever since its inception, and that cheesiness has been one of its strong points. The same can be said for Heavy Metal as a whole. Sure, there are more introspective, intelligent bands, but nothing beats a band like Venom or Possessed or Iron Maiden singing about pentagrams and devil worship and Rimes of the Ancient Mariner. Heavy Metal should not be done in moderation, in any respect. But that's another thread, so everyone should hurry and listen to Stratovarius's Episode and learn that their stereotypes are false.

edit: it's also ignoring the fact that both SA and Helloween are good bands.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:29 pm 

Cryptwatcher wrote:
I was never big with power metal, with the exception of Manowar. I am looking for some balls-to-the-wall power metal if that makes sense. I want some Power Metal that is epic in a non-corny way.

Non-corny huh. Battleroar and Manilla Road are great bands, and so is Brocas Helm, though they may be a tad corny. Liege Lord might also suit you.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:14 am 

Not sure if it's better to post in this thread instead of the similar one about Thrash, but... recommend me some bands/albums in the vein of Iron Angel's second album "Winds Of War". I know about Hellish Crossfire, but as their name suggests, they're more inspired by Iron Angel's debut, which I don't like as much as WoW.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

No disagreements here. People listen to one song by Sonata Arctica or Helloween and assume there's nothing else to it. Ignorance at its finest.

That's completely ignoring the fact that Power Metal has been cheesy ever since its inception, and that cheesiness has been one of its strong points. The same can be said for Heavy Metal as a whole. Sure, there are more introspective, intelligent bands, but nothing beats a band like Venom or Possessed or Iron Maiden singing about pentagrams and devil worship and Rimes of the Ancient Mariner. Heavy Metal should not be done in moderation, in any respect. But that's another thread, so everyone should hurry and listen to Stratovarius's Episode and learn that their stereotypes are false.

edit: it's also ignoring the fact that both SA and Helloween are good bands.

What I always like to say "all music is cheesy".

Catachthonian wrote:
Not sure if it's better to post in this thread instead of the similar one about Thrash, but... recommend me some bands/albums in the vein of Iron Angel's second album "Winds Of War". I know about Hellish Crossfire, but as their name suggests, they're more inspired by Iron Angel's debut, which I don't like as much as WoW.

Try Vendetta's (Ger) two albums and I couldn't help but think of Nuclear Assault's "Game Over". I'd say this is a little more along the lines of thrash talk, but hopefully these work.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:25 am 

Also, I absolutely love Slauter Xstroyes. Just one of those bands that always makes me speechless everytime I go back to them (fairly often). Not only is the band just outrageously technical, but singer John Stewart is fucking insane. Really wish there were more out there like him.

/random

Hell, Catachthonian you should check them out too. I'd say their second album "Free The Beast" has a little more thrash elements.

edit: Shit! Where did this come from? Apparently Stewart's band after Slauter Xstroyes.

http://www.myspace.com/energyvampires
http://www.energyvampire.com/html/music.html

Incredible, I'm buying that CD.

Last edited by Xeogred on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:41 am 

Thank you, Xeogred, but I know all three and I absolutely fucking love Slauter Xstroyes and Vendetta; can't say the same about Nuclear Assault, though - they always sounded too punky for me.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I'm looking not for clone of WoW, but rather for WoW with some elements of "Walls of Jericho".

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:52 am 

In that case, maybe you'd dig Not Fragile? They're a little more obscure I'd say... "Who Dares Wins" and "Hard To Be Alive" might fit that bill. Also Warrant's (Ger) is pretty cool. Grinder's (Ger) debut also perhaps.

Oh here's one, Mysto Dysto? Production is a little thin, but their album "The Rules Have Been Disturbed" is really out there.

But since you know Slauter Xstroyes, maybe you know about all of those too. :P, I haven't been listening to as much thrash lately ... well, I tried.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:16 am 

I've been meaning to check out Grinder and Warrant for some time, seems now I have to. :)

Never heard about Not Fragile and Mysto Dysto. :|

EDIT: I've just listened to songs from Mysto Dysto's myspace. Shame on me for not knowing them before! :ugh:

EDIT #2: I just wonder why Mysto Dysto decided to change name into Mandator and play thrash.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:17 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Also, I absolutely love Slauter Xstroyes. Just one of those bands that always makes me speechless everytime I go back to them (fairly often). Not only is the band just outrageously technical, but singer John Stewart is fucking insane. Really wish there were more out there like him.

/random

Hell, Catachthonian you should check them out too. I'd say their second album "Free The Beast" has a little more thrash elements.

edit: Shit! Where did this come from? Apparently Stewart's band after Slauter Xstroyes.

As am I! it's going to be damn good.

I'd say that Slauter Xstroyes is pretty damn technical, at least in their employment of unusual rhythms and unpredictable structure. All the musicians are equally strong (love that bass tone!) andd it's exactly the kind of progressive stuff I was looking for when I posted a thread about rhythmically intricate heavy metal some time ago (didn't find much, by the way). Slauter Xstroyes, Fates Warning's ATG and some Mercyful Fate perfectly epitomise this kind of sound for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:01 am 

Mercyful Fate is fucking crazy, I can't imagine hearing that in 1984.

Not Fragile is a funny name.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:11 pm 

This might have been touched on in this thread already, but I don't have time to trawl through all 10 pages...

What I'd like is some recs for vicious, dark power metal in that vein, perhaps in the vein of Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:34 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Failsafeman's passionate review of Omen's "Battle Cry" has got me listening to teh album more often, too. There's something about it that I once thought was a weakness and which now turns out to be a strength. Though I've liked the album ever since first hearing it, probably around the same time Failsafeman did, the first half always seemed to move me more than the second until recently. I think the somewhat unified nature of the songs and their progressions, almost all possessing thatt steady marching groove that's so common in epic metal, kind of made some of the tracks fly by without notice for me. The more I listen to it, though, the more the second half starts to sound better than the first. Funny how after all this time, I never really paid much attention to "Prince of Darkness" untill some months ago. It's such a short song, but it's the most effective up-tempo piece on the record and the bass intro and vocal melodies are so bloody good. I also love the line "you run til you're heaving / it's hard when you're breathing / only the smoke from Hell's flame"...haha. Now, suddenly, "Into the Arena" is my favourite song on here ... I don't know many bands other than these guys and Brocas Helm who can make four minutes seem so goddamn huge and epic, and this song is like the piece Manowar just wouldn't dare to write.

Whoops, missed this earlier. Anyway, thanks for the kind words, and I agree actually about your reaction to Battle Cry; the first few times I listened to it, the opening tracks grabbed me right by the balls, while the subsequent, less-accessible middle ones tended to just go right over my head; I'd usually end up remembering "Death Rider" and "The Axeman" very clearly, along with "In the Arena", while even great songs like "Prince of Darkness" wouldn't stick. It's just the kind of thing you have to give repeated listens, I guess. Omen isn't really a band you'd expect to be subtle, but I'd definitely say "Dragon's Breath" and "Prince of Darkness" are just that.

Tommygun141
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:47 pm 

I'm not gonna claim to know anything about Power Metal, but one of my best friends swears by these guys.
Edguy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OEUTY-I ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5bImpq5cmQ

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:55 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
This might have been touched on in this thread already, but I don't have time to trawl through all 10 pages...

What I'd like is some recs for vicious, dark power metal in that vein, perhaps in the vein of Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings.

Black Destiny's "In Neo Noir" would be a good one to check out.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:55 pm 

I enjoy EdGuy. They're pretty quirky.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:58 pm 

Edguy are one of those bands who know how to just let loose and rock, no need for pretentious concept albums and whatnot. Sometimes you're just in the mood for that with modern PM.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:37 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

/random

As am I! it's going to be damn good.

I'd say that Slauter Xstroyes is pretty damn technical, at least in their employment of unusual rhythms and unpredictable structure. All the musicians are equally strong (love that bass tone!) andd it's exactly the kind of progressive stuff I was looking for when I posted a thread about rhythmically intricate heavy metal some time ago (didn't find much, by the way). Slauter Xstroyes, Fates Warning's ATG and some Mercyful Fate perfectly epitomise this kind of sound for me.

Hell yeah, I totally ordered it! Did you check out all the tracks on the site? I think they had samples of most of them, I was really blown away. Sounds like a nice blend of Slauter Xstroyes-ish stuff to straight up really impressive USPM like "Different From The Rest" and "Mother Fucker" being obvious examples (dunno about their "Heavy/Gothic Metal" tag on the archives). Interestingly enough ... maybe it's Stewart's crazy vocals, but I kind of thought of Satan's Host when listening to some of those tracks as well ... then there were some moments that made me think of Griffin, lol. Pretty random, but yeah, nice dark USPM with a blend of everything and it works. I can already tell from the lengthy samples and the quality, it's probably grade A stuff.

The "Rock n' Roll" track is hilariously awesome, transforming into some epic metal.

Catachthonian wrote:
EDIT #2: I just wonder why Mysto Dysto decided to change name into Mandator and play thrash.

Yeah, so I take it you liked them (Mysto Dysto)? No idea why they changed their name and just went totally generic, I can't get into Mandator at all. I'm a huge thrash fan as well but they were just really generic, especially when compared to what they did as Mysto Dysto.

@Edguy discussion: MYSTERIA!

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:05 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

Yeah, so I take it you liked them (Mysto Dysto)? No idea why they changed their name and just went totally generic, I can't get into Mandator at all. I'm a huge thrash fan as well but they were just really generic, especially when compared to what they did as Mysto Dysto.

Yes, I listened to the album and liked it a lot. Totally awesome speed metal! Warrant is fairly good, but hey, it's german speed metal, after all. Going to give Grinder a few spins next week. Thanks for the recs!

I guess I need to explore the realm of USPM more than just sticking to several main bands. That requires some digging... or thoroughly looking through this thread.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:27 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

Yes, I listened to the album and liked it a lot. Totally awesome speed metal! Warrant is fairly good, but hey, it's german speed metal, after all. Going to give Grinder a few spins next week. Thanks for the recs!

I guess I need to explore the realm of USPM more than just sticking to several main bands. That requires some digging... or thoroughly looking through this thread.

Heh, yeah. I think you'll dig Grinder. Most of their releases are worth hearing if you like any of them, I personally thought their debut stood out the most. It's kind of like early Blind Guardian with a bit more punch and thrashier vocals. I know a lot of people here really enjoy their "The 1st EP" .. EP as well.

And yeah, this thread is riddled with USPM talk if you wanna look back a few pages. If you look into it, prepare for epic. ;)

LIEGE LORD!
:np:

This is pretty random, but I think if you liked Mysto Dysto a lot you should check out Dark Age's EP. It's just another one of those releases that brings in tons of elements from a handful of genres and works really well, nothing else out there quite like it. Utterly random, but whatever. :P
(and hey, if you like it I'd say that's a sign you should dwelve more into USPM, heh).

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:31 am 

Pity I don't have enough time today... But the whole next week is ahead!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:32 am 

Ah, fucking time... :lol:

levasty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:11 am 

I need some recs guys!

Looking for power metal....with BALLS, none of the cheesy fantasy bullshit, looking for bands similar to Hibria and Jag Panzer, also none of the Mid-Tempo bands, I want full of speed and energy....thanks.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:23 am 

Liege Lord
Ballistic
Apollo Ra
Running Wild
Scanner
Original Sin
I would give descriptions, but the reviews are good enough, and should suffice.
Oh, and Timeless Miracle.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:17 pm 

levasty wrote:
I need some recs guys!

Looking for power metal....with BALLS, none of the cheesy fantasy bullshit, looking for bands similar to Hibria and Jag Panzer, also none of the Mid-Tempo bands, I want full of speed and energy....thanks.

Ballistic, Metal Church, Iced Earth (Only the Stormrider album.) Those are the ballsiest PM bands I've heard.
we sail across the sea!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:20 pm 

Okay, fuck it, I'm going to try Ballistic.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

You'll not be disappointed.
we sail across the sea!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Surprised you haven't already. :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:00 pm 

Perfect. First download in a while and it's taking forever. :lol: I'll just listen to Ares Kingdom and thrash the fuck out til then.

Rawhead Rexx is cool. Listen to them.

Seriously, their debut is one of the most fucking fun, balls-out Power Metal albums I've heard in the last few years. It's like Iron Maiden's Powerslave days crossed with a bit of Dio and Nocturnal Rites.

Ballistic edit: This band rules!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:30 am 

If you guys like Ballistic, check out Tension, which is the band the singer/guitarist and bassist were members of in the 80s. Breaking Point is good.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:46 pm 

Bloody hell! I've just dug through this thread in search of some obscure USPM, and guess what?! I have found about 50 bands to go! And there are at least three more threads to go! Damn, my hard drive will shrink and collapse if I go on like this. :annoyed:

On a second though, that's the price you have to pay for listening to obscure bands whose demos (in physical form) you will never find.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:42 pm 

I'm looking for power metal that is keyboard heavy, but still makes good use out of guitars.
It should have plenty of good riffs, and powerful vocals.
Can anyone recomend bands/albums to me?
Thanks in advance...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
I'm looking for power metal that is keyboard heavy, but still makes good use out of guitars.
Thanks in advance...

Dark at Dawn's Of Decay and Desire. :headbang: And Kamelot, if you have never tried them yet - The Black Halo is essential, as is Epica and Karma.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
hippiedrow wrote:
Thanks in advance...

Dark at Dawn's Of Decay and Desire. :headbang: And Kamelot, if you have never tried them yet - The Black Halo is essential, as is Epica and Karma.

Ok, thanks.
I'll check those albums out this weekend.

Madsorceror
Intrepid Warrior Poet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm 

I'm on a Toxik/Realm/Coroner kick lately. I need some more input on technical speed/thrash bands. I'm familiar with Antagonist (Green Bay, WI), Imagika, and Heathen (of course). Annihilator puts me to sleep. Help.

Anything close to Toxik and Realm would be great, stuff that crosses the line between blistering speed and non brutal thrash.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 pm 

Madsorceror wrote:
I'm on a Toxik/Realm/Coroner kick lately. I need some more input on technical speed/thrash bands. I'm familiar with Antagonist (Green Bay, WI), Imagika, and Heathen (of course). Annihilator puts me to sleep. Help.

Anything close to Toxik and Realm would be great, stuff that crosses the line between blistering speed and non brutal thrash.

Aside from maybe Watchtower (who I assume you already know) Taramis is the closest to it. Their debut isn't very technical but carries many of the power/speed/thrash elements of Realm and Toxik, while their second album Stretch of the Imagination is quite progressive.

Target is great too. They're kind of like Release From Agony/Cracked Brain-era Destruction with clean vocals, which makes them a little slower than the others but I think they'd be worth checking out. Master Project Genesis is probably the closer of their two albums.

Dyoxen fits the style pretty well, but to my ears they're not as original. Others seem to like them though so give them a shot.

EDIT: Megace's Human Errors just came on and I have to recommend that one as well. The female vocals are hit or miss though. When clean they fit the Toxik/Realm style well, but she also tries growling along the Holy Moses line of things which isn't very appealing.

Last edited by HamburgerBoy on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 pm 

For some good Toxikesque thrashing, Savage Thrust - http://www.myspace.com/savagethrust

Quote:
Annihilator puts me to sleep.
With you on that.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:22 am 

Madsorceror wrote:

Deus Vult's EP is probably worth checking out. Also, Slauter Xstroyes, though they're not "blisteringly" fast or anything, they're really technical and I prefer them over Realm by far.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:47 am 

Hello. I've just recently been trying to get into Iced Earth. They have a quite large discography, so I was wondering what albums to check out first. Could someone please enlighten me on said matter?....

.....Please? :puppy:

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:57 am 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
Hello. I've just recently been trying to get into Iced Earth. They have a quite large discography, so I was wondering what albums to check out first. Could someone please enlighten me on said matter?....

.....Please? :puppy:

I personally got into them with Burnt Offerings and Something Wicked This Way Comes, Burnt Offerings is the better of the two.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 625  Next