Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:30 am 

I'm glad Bloden Wedd's putting out something soon. I really enjoyed Eye of Horus and Raging Planet.

A relatively unknown and surprisingly good power metal band to check out is Aquaria from Brazil. I actually haven't heard their second album but Luxaeterna was very impressive and apparently they continue that quality with the second album that came out last year.

For a more heavy metal sound, and basically a Running Wild clone, Lonewolf's new album is surprisingly good for the most part. The production is much better than the last albums and there are quite a few awesome riffs.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:32 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I have both the new Assedium and the new Battleroar. Battleroar have never clicked with me, this one isn't any exception...haven't given Assedium a thorough listen yet.

I'd say Voyager is definitely a grower.

This Pharaoh is very good! If any of you liked The Longest Night, pretty much guaranteed you'll like Be Gone.

I think I'll bypass Battleroar's latest then. I only liked one song off their last album, but most of their material was a tedious bore to go through (it made me want to listen to Manowar instead, actually).

I wouldn't get your hopes up for Assedium, unless their 2nd album is a quantum leap over the debut (which could happen, I've seen many great bands with weak debuts). The only reason I care about them is cuz they're in a specific style I enjoy a lot.

My main gripe with Pharaoh is the vocalist. I didn't like him in Control Denied and I don't like him in Pharaoh either - he just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

"Voyager" I'll play more, for sure. Hell, most Manilla Road is an acquired taste for me. It took me forever to get into the pre-"Crystal Logic" stuff.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:34 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:
A relatively unknown and surprisingly good power metal band to check out is Aquaria from Brazil. I actually haven't heard their second album but Luxaeterna was very impressive and apparently they continue that quality with the second album that came out last year.

Aquaria are great and I love them but...they're the opposite of ballsy. Very "flowery", but catchy and solid nonetheless.

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:36 am 

Could anyone give me a list of some classic 80's US power metal that isn't so obvious that is worth checking out? I'm just wondering what I've missed.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:43 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
BardInTheForest wrote:

Aquaria are great and I love them but...they're the opposite of ballsy. Very "flowery", but catchy and solid nonetheless.

Their debut had potential. There were a few actual riffs there, but they couldn't seem to bring it altogether. Their 2nd album pissed any promise that band had down the drain.

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:
Could anyone give me a list of some classic 80's US power metal that isn't so obvious that is worth checking out? I'm just wondering what I've missed.

Despite being a new album, have you checked out Steel Assassin's "War of the Eight Saints" yet?

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:45 am 

Snowgrave wrote:

Didn't realize we were looking purely for "ballsy" power metal. Well, the Lonewolf should make up for that, and Bloden Wedd should be considered ballsy. They have a definite Judas Priest sound.

I suppose another, more ballsy, band worth mentioning is Wizard from Germany. Head of the Deciever was on constant play for me when I first got it.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:46 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Didn't realize we were looking purely for "ballsy" power metal. Well, the Lonewolf should make up for that, and Bloden Wedd could definitely be considered that. They have a definite Judas Priest sound.

Any Gamma Ray fan should check out Bloden Wedd's "Eye of Horus" ASAP. Great album. Some songs on that album are lightning fast. Plus, any album with a song called "Power Metal Pride" has to be good! :p

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:51 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Didn't realize we were looking purely for "ballsy" power metal. Well, the Lonewolf should make up for that, and Bloden Wedd should be considered ballsy. They have a definite Judas Priest sound.

I suppose another, more ballsy, band worth mentioning is Wizard from Germany. Head of the Deciever was on constant play for me when I first got it.

Haha, we're not exactly looking for ballsy power metal, I was just saying...

Anyway, this is the first time I've heard of Bloden Wedd, so I must check them out immediately.

razbijac_dasaka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:52 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Well I want bands that can match Helloween and Blind Guardian in terms of quality

hmm you cant find them sry

btw if you really want some underground bands, try Aquaria and Divinefire. Aquaria is speed symph metal with minimalized power metal elements while Divine fire is death/power metal with power metal vocal that is not annoying(even Helloween has annoying vocal sometimes ffs

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:54 am 

Divinefire's first album "Glory Thy Name" has some really good moments if you can stomach the lyrics. It's actually a unique combination of the symphonic elements and the extreme metal and the power metal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

razbijac_dasaka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:58 am 

Everyone who cares about lyrics in music id very retarded. Come on, learn how to enjoy in music ffs

Silencia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:08 am 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Eidolon
Ion Britton
Graven Image
Oliver Magnum
Hammerhawk
Black Knight
Oblivion Knight

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:17 am 

noobsofsocialreality wrote:
So im kinda looking for bands similar to Persuader.

I'm assuming that you've heard Dreamland Manor, by Savage Circus? Persuader, Piet Sielck and Thomen Stauch. I loved it, a far superior album to Twist in the Myth, for example. Heavy, great vocals, amazing drumwork.

This thread is fantastic, some cool stuff I've not heard before :D

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:19 am 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Destiny's End - Breathe Deep the Dark

James Rivera from Helstar on vocals. It's a newer album, but it's firmly in the 80s US power metal camp.

and it's fucking awesome.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:40 am 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Griffin - 'Flight of the Griffin'
I'd rate it around 95% or so. Good choruses, riffs, and vocals.

Liege Lord - 'Master Control'
It's not especially unknown, but if you haven't heard it, you should.

Apollo Ra - 'Ra Pariah'
As usual, good riffs, etc, etc.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:43 am 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Hope this one isn't too obvious, but Drive's Characters in Time is easily the best early Ryche-worship album I've ever heard.

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:17 am 

Thanks for all the recc's...I already know and worship those Liege Lord and Griffin records. Fuckin breathtaking.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:03 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Hope this one isn't too obvious, but Drive's Characters in Time is easily the best early Ryche-worship album I've ever heard.

Lethal - Programmed is really good too, similar to Drive, early Queensryche, etc. Screamer - Target Earth is also awesome.

@Remnants: I'm kind of tired so I won't go into too much detail right now, just random picks out of my (organized) folder/reviews of good 80's USPM stuff (not all from the "US" but whatever)~
- Apollo Ra, seconded
- Attacker's first two albums. Second has a different (better) vocalist, sounds like 'Master Control' a bit.
- Chastain ... early stuff maybe.
- Commandment 'Engraved in the Stone'. Interesting stuff.
- Cruella 'Vengeance is Mine'. Eh, more trad/speed. Sounds like Riot's 'Thundersteel'. Good stuff either way.
- Cyperus demos are an absolute must. Their full length is like an entirely different band, blows chunks compared to the demo's.
- Damien Thorne 'The Sign Of The Jackal'. If only the production was actually there ...
- Dark Age, with the s/t EP (one I reviewed). Fuck yeah, mix of NWOBHM/USPM.
- Deadly Blessing 'Ascend from the Cauldron'
- Deaf Dealer 'Journey Into Fear'
- Defender (Hol). Think of a faster Metal Church.
- Glacier s/t EP and 1988 demo.
- Graven Image (this one)
- Hades 'Resisting Success'
- Helstar (sure you know them)
- Jag Panzer 'Ample Destruction' (you probably know it)
- Lords of the Crimson Alliance - Pretty weird. You'll probably like them or hate them.
- Messiah Force 'The Last Day'. Vocals in French, but oh well.
- Oblivion Knight (Assalant and Militia rock too).
- Obsession is okay, but not too great.
- Oliver Magnum s/t
- Overlorde 1987 EP
- Powerlord 'The Awakening'. Decent, like a slightly more aggressive Exciter.
- Proud Existence 'The Trial'
- Ray Gunn s/t
- Sacred Warrior, maybe.
- Satan's Host 'Metal From Hell'. Bad production though, Conklin dominates though.
- Serpent's Knight. Again, too bad it has next to no production ...
- Shining Blade, a lot of people really like them. But, I personally never really get into their albums that much.
- Slauter Xstroyes, throwing an oddball out there. Can't really classify these guys.
- Tyrant's Reign 'Year of the Tyrant's. A bit thrashy though.
- Vicious Rumors debut and 'Digital Dictator'.
- Zions Abyss 'TALES'. Mercyful Fate-ish.

Wish all my folders were organized. God I'm lazy.

Now ...
A rage of angels descending from the skies
A rage of angels seen through your eyes
And though you've wandered from life to save you one lone angel flies

LIEGE LORD FUCK YES
:np:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:12 am 

Here are some relevant threads, with lots of info on USPM:

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... p?p=881679
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=30886
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=33352

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:14 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Lethal - Programmed is really good too, similar to Drive, early Queensryche, etc. Screamer - Target Earth is also awesome.

Any US power metal that I listen to now I've discovered by searching for your name and 'power' in the forum, so those were exactly the other two I had in mind for comparison. ;) Both are still good, but they seemed to be a little too inspired by early Queensryche.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:14 am 

Tad Morose need to grow on you, especially the fantastic Undead (see my review if you haven't already). The following Matters of the Dark is very cool but not near as monstrous or good, and Modus Vivendi is solid and catchy as hell, but also not as good.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:20 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Any US power metal that I listen to now I've discovered by searching for your name and 'power' in the forum, so those were exactly the other two I had in mind for comparison. ;) Both are still good, but they seemed to be a little too inspired by early Queensryche.

Haha, thanks. :thumbsup:

And yeah, generally I'm not too big on the Queensryche-esque stuff out there, though I didn't mind Drive, Screamer, and Lethal, just kind of have to be in the mood for that kind of stuff. As failsafe, Gutterscream, and some others might say there's like two sides to USPM, the softer more dramatic white collar stuff like Fates Warning, Heir Apparent, etc ... then the tougher stuff like Liege Lord, Helstar, Omen, etc. Not the best explanation (so tired, lol), but generally I'm more of a fan for the blue collar stuff, most likely the speed/thrash fan within me is the reason, heh.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:23 am 

Reading through this thread...I have a lot of discovering to do, myself. =/

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:02 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Tad Morose need to grow on you, especially the fantastic Undead (see my review if you haven't already). The following Matters of the Dark is very cool but not near as monstrous or good, and Modus Vivendi is solid and catchy as hell, but also not as good.

I was not at all impressed by Matters of the Dark, and it put me off Tad Morose for a while. I guess I could try Undead if there's really that much of a difference, though once bitten, twice shy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:03 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I was not at all impressed by Matters of the Dark, and it put me off Tad Morose for a while. I guess I could try Undead, though once bitten, twice shy.

Yeah, you should, Matters of the Dark is much more simple and straightforward. You will probably like Undead, unless you just hated Tad Morose's riffs or vocals or something.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:05 am 

Nah, I just found them really bland and rehashed. I found myself half-recognizing every other riff/melody.

KlausBarbie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:50 pm 

I'm actually just getting into power metal these days... it's going to be difficult for me to describe exactly what I'm looking for but here we go...
I would like the music to be quite heavy, and preferably without keyboards. However, if there's any overtly heavy power metal band out there using keys, that's fine...
One band I really like that I've recently discovered is Morgana Lefay. They're a bit groove oriented but with this style of music, it doesn't bother me at all. I have a thrash background, so if there's interesting thrash guitars in it, that would help (that being said, only a few Iced Earth songs work for me).
Also, great choruses enhance this style of music for me.
Sorry if this is too vague, but I'm quite a noob to power metal so any rec's will help!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:09 pm 

btw if you haven't heard them yet listen to some Virgin Steele.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:27 pm 

KlausBarbie wrote:
I'm actually just getting into power metal these days... it's going to be difficult for me to describe exactly what I'm looking for but here we go...
I would like the music to be quite heavy, and preferably without keyboards. However, if there's any overtly heavy power metal band out there using keys, that's fine...
One band I really like that I've recently discovered is Morgana Lefay. They're a bit groove oriented but with this style of music, it doesn't bother me at all. I have a thrash background, so if there's interesting thrash guitars in it, that would help (that being said, only a few Iced Earth songs work for me).
Sorry if this is too vague, but I'm quite a noob to power metal so any rec's will help!

Cage and Iced Earth are what you're looking for, heavy and thrashy, respectively. Should you like Iced Earth, try Demons & Wizards. I also recomend Persuader, Helloween since Better than Raw, Primal Fear, Twisted Tower Dire, pre-Nightfall Blind Guardian and Running Wild.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:42 pm 

KlausBarbie wrote:

Helloween's 'Gambling with the Devil' might do just fine. Stuff like 'the Saints' has some heavy riffs whilst maintaining a power metal feel.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:54 pm 

666head wrote:
KlausBarbie wrote:

Cage and Iced Earth are what you're looking for, heavy and thrashy, respectively. Should you like Iced Earth, try Demons & Wizards. I also recomend Persuader, Helloween since Better than Raw, Primal Fear, Twisted Tower Dire, pre-Nightfall Blind Guardian and Running Wild.

Yeah, Cage's Darker Than Black is a whole bucketful of fun. Awesome album. Get Wolf's The Black Flame and Rage's Welcome to the Other Side and Unity, too.

EDIT: For Edguy-ish stuff, get Dezperadoz - The Legend and the Truth. Catchy, fun stuff.

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:28 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
@Remnants: I'm kind of tired so I won't go into too much detail right now, just random picks out of my (organized) folder/reviews of good 80's USPM stuff (not all from the "US" but whatever)~
(Huge ass list of cult USPM)

:bow: You are the Power Metal lord. Thanks :hyper:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:10 pm 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
(Huge ass list of cult USPM)

:bow: You are the Power Metal lord. Thanks :hyper:

Haha, thanks. :P

failsafeman definitely and others sometimes come out of nowhere with some obscure stuff though, heh. Classic metal seems endless. :thumbsup:

Reminds me, I should finish searching the archives entirely for old speed/power. I think I did up to 1985, or 86, not sure.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:44 pm 

Kvisling wrote:
Know any Power Metal bands similar to Adolf Castle?

A band thats quite similar to Adolf Castle is The Lord Weird Slough Feg, they use the same kind of power metal, the rough kind (I hate using the term "ballsy", it sound really juvenile and just makes the person sound insecure), but they use slightly different folk, Adolf Castle's is more slavic and viking like while The Lord Weird Slough Feg's is more celtikish, still, they both have the same atmosphere (except in Slough Feg's Traveller) so you should like them. Hope I helped, pm me if I wasn't clear.

I'm half-asleep right now.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:08 am 

Oh yeah, Remnants and others, if you haven't Tyrant is an absolute must. Can't believe I forgot about them. But yeah, you don't get much heavier than 'Too Late to Pray'. And Glen May's vocals are epic.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:27 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Oh yeah, Remnants and others, if you haven't Tyrant is an absolute must. Can't believe I forgot about them. But yeah, you don't get much heavier than 'Too Late to Pray'. And Glen May's vocals are epic.

Well, whether they're Power Metal could be debated, but seconded anyways.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:14 am 

2Eagle333 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Well, whether they're Power Metal could be debated, but seconded anyways.

Yeah, I don't label them as USPM myself but, I'd be shocked if USPM fans didn't like them. :P

'Too Late To Pray' is a one of kind anyways. Like ... fast doom metal, kind of.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:45 am 

666head wrote:
Kvisling wrote:

A band thats quite similar to Adolf Castle is The Lord Weird Slough Feg, they use the same kind of power metal, the rough kind (I hate using the term "ballsy", it sound really juvenile and just makes the person sound insecure), but they use slightly different folk, Adolf Castle's is more slavic and viking like while The Lord Weird Slough Feg's is more celtikish, still, they both have the same atmosphere (except in Slough Feg's Traveller) so you should like them. Hope I helped, pm me if I wasn't clear.

Yeah, pretty much; them crossed with a heavy dose of Running Wild and a bit of Slauter Xstroyes and Cirith Ungol.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
666head wrote:
Kvisling wrote:

Yeah, pretty much; them crossed with a heavy dose of Running Wild and a bit of Slauter Xstroyes and Cirith Ungol.

You guys have no idea how hilarious this is. Anyway, Kvisling is a power metal noob. You might as well not bother recommending him anything.

KKing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 am 

666head wrote:
A band thats quite similar to Adolf Castle is The Lord Weird Slough Feg

Those two bands are nothing alike except that they both have a "raw" power/classic metal sound.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 624  Next