* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
They should just put him in Crimson Glory and record an album, would be sweet.

I like him and think he is great with melodies, but his range is nowhere close to what CG would require.

Not to be a range asshole, but I think this collection of demo excerpts that Urban posted on my forum The Range Place proves you wrong on this account:
http://urbanbreed.com/files/theDemoThatSmokesTheFP.mp3
Especially by 1:12 where he rises up to a killer B♭5, which is the highest note any of the studio Crimson Glory songs actually require.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 pm 

Hadn't heard new Tad Morose, but this new vocalist seems pretty solid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW5m2okg8mM

and yeah, damn at that high note.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:52 pm 

Too bad he doesn't do that more often.

He's great and the way he sings is safe, but yeah.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:30 pm 

http://www.stereogum.com/1702041/dawnbr ... iere/mp3s/

A new track from the upcoming Dawnbringer, it rocks! The cover art kind of blows though, at least compared to their two latest albums.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:45 pm 

Yeah Tony, I was really upset about the artwork too, the previous two were absolute masterpieces and I was even considering working them into a tattoo at some point. Plus, this art doesn't even make sense. "Alright, the album is called Night of the Hammer. So let's use a photo of you with a hammer... during the day."

As for the song, it's might be the most average thing I've ever heard from Dawnbringer. Where's the emotion? The power? Seems just like a ballad for ballad's sake. I guess the intro is cool because it sounds like Primordial. And the bass tone is sweet. It probably works better in the context of the album.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:37 pm 

You guys ever hear of a Canadian speed/power thrash metal band called Shock? Released a bunch of demos in the 80s and then fell off the radar. They released an album last year and I don't think I have ever heard an old, unknown band, release something so good after such a hiatus in the speed/power thrash camp. The riffs here are just huge, great drum and rhythm section, and a top notch vocalist, especially for the style. Very uspm in its delivery.

Check em out: http://shockmetal.bandcamp.com/

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:47 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Crimson Glory - Lost Reflection if you don't already know it. It has a similar feeling to BTROD IMO. Creepy and acustic for the most part, and then a crazy and fast section all of a sudden. Good stuff.

Love that track :) Actually just listened to it earlier tonight. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but a fantastic song nonetheless!

That new Dawnbringer track is alright. I don't know what to really say about it beyond that since nothing really stood out to me much.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 am 

From Virgin Steele's official website:

Spoiler: show
VIRGIN STEELE is currently completing work on 2 new albums. Said vocalist David DeFeis, "we are in the process of finishing all the recordings for a second disc of music which is to be part of a double CD set called, GHOST HARVEST (The Spectral Vintage Sessions). The first disc has already been completed, and we are deep into the recording of the second disc. These Works are extra recordings outside of what we are expected to deliver to our label. They are a kind of pre-Anniversary celebration...our way of saying cheers and thanks very much to all of our Friends who have shown us such strong support, great belief, and honor throughout the years. We raise our glasses to you All, and we look forward to seeing you once again when we return to the live arena".

In addition to the GHOST HARVEST recordings (which they wish to issue this October through the excellent Steamhamer SPV label), the Group is currently also recording new music for a full length concept album that they hope to issue next Spring. And in addition to that, various videos have recently been filmed. The song HOUSE OF DUST from THE MARRIAGE OF HEAVEN & HELL PART 1 album was filmed a short while back, and a song called A GREATER BURNING OF INNOCENCE from the forthcoming GHOST HARVEST album was also filmed. Also some of the sessions for the FIRE SPIRITS album, (the bonus disc included inside the current INVICTUS re-issue ), were filmed and some of those clips will be finalized and issued over the next months.

We thank you for all your faith and support and we wish you a great rest of the summer and a magical autumn.

Cheers!

VS HOME OFFICE

Well, they better release something in October for for real or else I'll be disappointed. The release date that got constantly pushed over the last months was a pity.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:46 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
You guys ever hear of a Canadian speed/power thrash metal band called Shock? Released a bunch of demos in the 80s and then fell off the radar. They released an album last year and I don't think I have ever heard an old, unknown band, release something so good after such a hiatus in the speed/power thrash camp. The riffs here are just huge, great drum and rhythm section, and a top notch vocalist, especially for the style. Very uspm in its delivery.

Check em out: http://shockmetal.bandcamp.com/

That's pretty fun stuff! Honestly it sounds to me mostly like regular old heavy metal, with a bit of speed and power thrown in. It just has those effortlessly fun, hard-rock-tinged riffs of classic bands like Shok Paris and Warrior (though not quite that good). I might order that CD next time I'm putting some orders together.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:31 pm 

^ Hard to nail the exact genres for these bands I'll admit, but definitely a fun listen as you say. I ordered the cd after the first listen :beer:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:05 pm 

Not sure how to feel about the new Accept. Slower/more laid back/more rock than I expected or wanted. I really liked the pulverizing heavy metal of the last two.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 am 

lol at "The Spectral Vintage Sessions", not so sure what's gonna be like this one.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:18 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Not sure how to feel about the new Accept. Slower/more laid back/more rock than I expected or wanted. I really liked the pulverizing heavy metal of the last two.

Dude, it's disappointing. I think everyone doesn't want to admit it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:26 pm 

Nah, it's actually quite good.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:27 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Dude, it's disappointing. I think everyone doesn't want to admit it.

Just like everyone doesn't want to admit that the new Priest is awesome?

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:30 pm 

I like the new Priest. But I had virtually no expectations for it. Accept was different. They were coming off 2 smoking albums.

I'll just play "Death Row" and remember the vicious Accept of yester year.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:06 am 

Man really not feeling this new song by Striker, the vocalist sounds a lot weaker than he did on the last album.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:49 am 

I've never been a big Striker fan, but I've always wanted to be. Couldn't make it through more than 2-3 songs on this new album. They just aren't for me, apparently.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:04 pm 

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. They check all the right boxes on paper but the execution/songwriting have never risen above decent for me.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:12 pm 

That song just feels like it has no idea where it wants to go. Does it want to be an epic stomper, or does it want to be a faster-paced face-ripper? I don't know, and I doubt it knows, either.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:49 am 

Yeah, what the fuck, it has that huge epic intro that was actually getting me really pumped, but then at 1:20 it basically turns into an entirely different song. The whole verse is just really out of place with the rest. The intro, chorus, and bridge are pretty good though, I'm not ready to write off the new album just yet.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 pm 

Just saw Hessian last night I was skeptical after seeing the Funeral Disco video but they killed it live. Most of it is really good

Not especially original but done very well

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:15 am 

Anyone know more obscure/newer bands playing a US power metal sound? I'm talking about groups (that I love) like Crimson Glory, Jag Panzer, Liege Lord, Omen, Riot, early Queensryche, Helstar and Iced Earth. I'm looking for fast-paced, somewhat thrashy but still melodic power-chord riffs and ideally vocals that are fairly high, but not Halford screeching (i.e. more Dickinson-esque). Thanks in advance :)

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:20 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:
Anyone know more obscure/newer bands playing a US power metal sound? I'm talking about groups (that I love) like Crimson Glory, Jag Panzer, Liege Lord, Omen, Riot, early Queensryche, Helstar and Iced Earth. I'm looking for fast-paced, somewhat thrashy but still melodic power-chord riffs and ideally vocals that are fairly high, but not Halford screeching (i.e. more Dickinson-esque). Thanks in advance :)

Twisted Tower Dire

Oliver Magnum

Also Heir Apparent I have been really into recently

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:54 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:

This should fit your criteria... I just found this band out and this song is so fucking awesome.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:

What about the new ATTACKER, ATTICK DEMONS, or WIND WRAITH?

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:02 pm 

HE IS BACK!!! *tears in his eyes*

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:39 pm 

Well 'Eavy is FUCKING AWESOME, 7 great bands I had never heard before, Flight and Ascalon are fucking great
http://electricassaultrecords.bigcartel ... y-vol-1-lp

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:43 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
HE IS BACK!!! *tears in his eyes*
Spoiler: show

:hyper: That sounds pretty good. I just hope the teasers are accurate. Heiman doing prog...that suits him. I am excited about this.

Like your reviews?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:10 pm 

Holy shit :O

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:34 am 

:love:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:35 pm 

captaincrunchy wrote:

I really really hope you're familiar with Ballistic. If not:

Probably the most Dickinson-esque vocals in USPM.

Singer/guitarist Tom Gattis's previous band Wardog is also rad:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:23 pm 

What about TENSION? I like all Tom's stuff but to me "Breaking Point" was his finest release by far.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:41 pm 

Tension is good too (they ruled when I saw them in 2012 at Keep It True) but he was asking for newer bands. But yeah, if you like Ballistic and Wardog, Tension is a no brainer.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:50 pm 

I had to look up Heiman because I couldn't recall seeing his name before... So this is the Lost Horizon guy you all have been pining for? I guess he heard your calls! I see that band mentioned a lot around here but I've only checked out a couple songs years ago and wasn't blown away. That teaser sounds, good though. And Rocka_Rollas, those two Sanctuary albums are great. They have a tightly played and produced, Savatage-esque quality to them. Not the best out there, but still fine examples of USPM.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:36 pm 

Wardog's proudest moment is "Bucket O Beer." That song is pure gold from beginning to end.

ALL I WANT IS A BUCKET O BEER
AND A HORNY FUCKING WOMAN WHO KNOWS HOW TO STEER!

That said, the rest of the band's output is decent, if forgettable. I prefer Tension and Ballistic.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:50 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Wardog's proudest moment is "Bucket O Beer." That song is pure gold from beginning to end.

ALL I WANT IS A BUCKET O BEER
AND A HORNY FUCKING WOMAN WHO KNOWS HOW TO STEER!

That said, the rest of the band's output is decent, if forgettable. I prefer Tension and Ballistic.

Hahah, yes, that song is the shit.

Tension is good, Ballistic is good, when are they gonna release another album!?

CALL ME EVIL

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:53 pm 

Okay, so that's plenty of recs. Let's go one by one;

Twisted Tower Dire: Pretty good. Production is a bit iffy, though.
Oliver Magnum: Not bad, if a little bland to my tastes.
Heir Apparent: Hey, this is pretty good. I'll check into these guys more.
Sanctuary: Not really what I wanted, plus Warrel Dane's political raving is a bit ech.
Attacker: This is alright, not too spectacular to me, though.
Attick Demons: This is great! I'll listen to their whole album.
Wind Wraith: This is good, but not spectacular. I'll look more into them.
Ballistic: Maybe I'm going deaf, but... he sounds more like Blaze than Bruce?
Wardog: Too slow for my taste, sorry!
Tension: Not really what I was looking for.

So there's some good stuff in here, I'll keep listening.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm 

The second coming of Daniel!!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:20 pm 

I love HEIR APPARENT but always thought their vocals were way more Tate than Dickinson.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454 ... 624  Next