Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Your logic frequently hurts me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:32 pm 

Exigence wrote:
The bands could be better. With all due respect to Conklin, a lot of Jag Panzer material is pretty average and there was a massive gap of time where he wasn't putting out anything. He certainly had the pipes and the opportunities. There is no reason why he isn't at (or beyond) the level of Iced Earth - be it with Jag Panzer or another band.

Even the worst Jag Panzer material like The Age of Mastery is better than 90% of Iced Earth's catalog - to that end, I'm basically saying quality and fame don't go hand in hand, and again, if you're sure guys like him are having existential crises because they're not playing stadiums every night...well, that's just ridiculous.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:33 pm 

So I've found a seemingly original press Samson - Head On at a local charity shop for £8. I don't have it yet since I didn't really have a way of taking it home until after the shop had closed, but that means I can think about it. I don't expect it to be the rarest of records, but they're selling on Amazon for about £9.45, and the lowest on ebay was like £6.99 (though with a ton of postage), but others were more than £10 there, so it doesn't seem like a rip off at least. The main thing though is that I don't have a record deck or any vinyl care products yet, but I'm interested in getting a deck in the future sometime (if not the near future). I am interested in owning it, and not just buying it because it seems like a decent price. I didn't check the condition of the vinyl itself but the sleeve seemed in decent nick. I can check that when I go to buy it though of course. And for the insert.

This seem like a good buy? Anything I should keep in mind for immediate care if I do (other than keeping it upright of course)?

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:12 pm 

Please link me something like black sabbath

fast drums,guitars and virtuosic bass

:up:

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 am 

Murtal wrote:

I think you'll need to be a bit more specific than tha.

Something like Born Again or Seventh Star? Early Ozzy sounding stuff. Dio? Martin?

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:44 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Murtal wrote:

I think you'll need to be a bit more specific than tha.

Something like Born Again or Seventh Star? Early Ozzy sounding stuff. Dio? Martin?

something like early albums,ozzy era

something like paranoid

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 pm 

I've been spending a lot of time with The Circus Maximus lately. I'm still not prepared to say it's good, but it's definitely not BAD either. It just really intrigues me. I still can't help but wish Mark had been the sole singer but the other guy has grown on me a bit and does have his moments. He owns that chorus on Murder by Degrees. Not ending the album on Forbidden Zone seems like a huge mistake doesn't it? That song sounds like a 90s take on the Mark of the Beast material, and it builds up to a huge climax that gets sort of spoiled by the actual finisher for me.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:05 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've been spending a lot of time with The Circus Maximus lately. I'm still not prepared to say it's good, but it's definitely not BAD either. It just really intrigues me. I still can't help but wish Mark had been the sole singer but the other guy has grown on me a bit and does have his moments. He owns that chorus on Murder by Degrees. Not ending the album on Forbidden Zone seems like a huge mistake doesn't it? That song sounds like a 90s take on the Mark of the Beast material, and it builds up to a huge climax that gets sort of spoiled by the actual finisher for me.

I really love that album. It's different, but that's okay. What do you think about the third guy-- Aaron Brown-- on 'Spider', 'In Gein We Trust' and 'Hack It Off'?

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:24 pm 

I actually like his voice quite a bit. I never realized until today that those songs were not voiced by Mark. I don't know how I missed it, I just thought he sounded a little...different. Those are three solid tunes, with Hack it Off being very possibly one of my favorites on the album. I'm not CRAZY about those rapping style verses but they don't bother me, and the buildup to that unholy thrash break is so perfectly crafted. Spider and In Gein We Trust both bring the creepazoid atmosphere and I like that a lot, although Spider occasionally loses my attention.

The real highlights of the album for me are Throne of Blood, Hack it Off, Forbidden Zone, and No Sign from Above, with Murder By Degrees right behind those.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:54 pm 

In Gein We Trust is fucking amazing, probably my favorite song there although Forbidden Zone and Throne of Blood are quite good too. Brown is just insane on Gein though - "Human nipple necklace, you're a scream, Mr. Gein!" Of course the subject matter is quite cool for me too, as I find serial killers and particularly necrophiliacs to be pretty interesting, but the atmosphere, performance and songwriting are all spot on. Brown's other two are good, too, though not as much so. Forbidden Zone is definitely a sweet epic, and Throne of Blood is cool to see Shelton's take on Shakespeare; they lyrics on this album are really quite cool. That said, the other guy is pure, unmitigated shit, and I absolutely loathe all of his songs. Half a good album there, though.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:01 pm 

I was surprised you found No Sign from Above to be in the same vein as Out of Control...or Street Jammer or something. I thought it was pretty epic and well put together. Doesn't sound much like a rock and roll song to me at all.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:41 pm 

Yeah honestly The Circus Maximus is quite a solid album if you just ignore the third guy. Shelton's songs sound early Shelton material with some extra pop elements in the form of backing vocals and slap bass in "No Sign from Above" and such, and are cool, and the #2 guy has some cool songs with the Gein one being the obvious standout. #3 dude doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned, so it's a cool EP basically! Considering the songwriting duties were split up that way too I feel pretty justified in treating those three parts separately. It's essentially a three-way split.

Also I don't know what Jonpo is smoking but "No Sign from Above" sounds super poppy and not epic at all, on the same level as "Aftershock" from MotB. Not that that's a bad thing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:08 pm 

Hahah I do love the super upbeat bass on No Sign. I'll have to listen to that one again I must be confusing it. I thought it sounded big. I do love Aftershock but yeah, not epic at all.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 am 

Well, I've just bought tickets for Up the Hammers; so I'll be seeing Manilla Road with Randy Foxe (!?!) next year. Obviously, the rest of the line-up's cool, too, with Titan Force, Doomsword, Omen (are they still good live?), Slauter Xstroyes (!!), Atlantean Kodex (still not great in the studio but awesome live) amongst others.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:00 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Well, I've just bought tickets for Up the Hammers; so I'll be seeing Manilla Road with Randy Foxe (!?!) next year. Obviously, the rest of the line-up's cool, too, with Titan Force, Doomsword, Omen (are they still good live?), Slauter Xstroyes (!!), Atlantean Kodex (still not great in the studio but awesome live) amongst others.

That's like the greatest hits lineup of everything this board loves and I'm indifferent too. Add Cirith Ungol playing only their first 2 albums and it'd be an M-A wet dream.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:02 pm 

Fortunately for you Wacken caters for people with crappy taste in metal. I mean, sure, there's plenty of good bands, but it's always where you'll find the worst, too! :D

TheHundredthApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:45 am 

Was recommended this today as I was looking for newer Doom bands with NWOBHM tendencies and I thought I'd share it;

Anything similar?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:52 am 

Manticora are such are frustrating band. They have moments of superior cool sprinkled amongst meandering, mostly lame songwriting and strong vocals that are mostly wasted.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:22 am 

Pretty much all of their discography is like that, Necro. I wouldn't bother with them if I were you.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:16 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

:love: :fuck:

Have fun, you bastard!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:46 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Manticora are such are frustrating band. They have moments of superior cool sprinkled amongst meandering, mostly lame songwriting and strong vocals that are mostly wasted.
Where does Manticora have strong vocals? :scratch:

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 pm 

Yeah, I always thought they were pretty generic progressive metal vocals. That's why I don't like them that much.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm 

Any Axel Rudi Pell fans about? I've got Between the Walls and Eternal Prisoner, and BtW is cool with some songs that are particularly strong ('Talk of the Guns', 'Warrior', 'Cry of the Gypsy' and the title track) whereas Eternal Prisoner isn't too hot. So, what would fans recommend to a newcomer? Should I just work my way forward? Or is there something in particular that stands out for you?

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 pm 

I always liked Black Moon Pyramid and Kings & Queens the best.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:30 pm 

I've actually stopped listening to them after every album seemed identical, but Mystica and Oceans of Time were my favorites. Great melodic rock/metal.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:43 pm 

Seconding Mystica. Only ARP album I listen to regularly, and it's a nice blend of meaty hard rock and Tony Martin era Sabbath.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Tony Martin era Sabbath

Yes! Glad to see someone recognize this.

I liked Circle of the Oath quite a bit, but I haven't heard their latest one. And I'm very fuzzy on their pre-2000 material.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:20 pm 

Well, yeah, Gioeli's inflection and mannerisms are both very similar to Martin's, and there are plenty of riffs which could've easily been in Headless Cross or Cross Purposes.

Man, I feel like spinning that album now.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:05 am 

I enjoy a lot of songs from Axel Rudi Pell but they're the perfect example of a band I prefer to listen on playlist mode because each album of theirs mixes really strong, beautiful tracks with filler material and unbearable cheese.

On top of the albums you guys have listed, I also enjoy Tales of the Crown and possibly my favorite, The Crest.

I see what is meant by the Martin-era Sabbath but I see a lot more in ARP. It's got a lot of Dio-era Sabbath/Rainbow elements. This guy seems to be paying tribute to that but also has an 80s sensibility that reminds of Martin-era.

Johnny Gioeli is, for my money, one of the most underrated metal singers around. I never hear about this guy and he's absolutely amazing. One of my favorites.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 am 

Oh yeah, the Rainbow comparisons are also very accurate, Riffs. Fly to the Moon is a perfect example of that.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:12 pm 

I thought the Rainbow comparison goes without saying; ARP's whole reason for existence seems to be to ape Blackmore. It's cool, though, since you really don't hear much Rainbow style metal nowadays.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:51 pm 

I'm not too knowledgeable about ARP, so what Rainbow era(s) is he playing like? Any of his albums like any of Dio era Rainbow?

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:03 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I thought the Rainbow comparison goes without saying; ARP's whole reason for existence seems to be to ape Blackmore. It's cool, though, since you really don't hear much Rainbow style metal nowadays.

You think it's that obvious? Check out Stuart Smith's "Heaven and Earth". I've actually talked to him on phone. He was trained by Ritchie and his sole purpose in life with H&E is miming 70s Rainbow.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:08 pm 

The word is out on the new Satan's Host record(s)--it's a double-album, interestingly enough...
Spoiler: show
Quote:
At long last, the wait is over: Satan's Host deliver their masterwork with "Pre-dating god" Parts 1 & 2! Both albums will be released simultaneously by Moribund Records on January 19th, 2015 in Europe/UK and January 20th, 2015 in North America. Striking while the iron's hot after 2013's critically acclaimed "Virgin Sails", the two-disc "Pre-dating god" sees Satan's Host going from strength to strength, creating epic 'n' dynamic HEAVY METAL anthems that immediately stick in the brain. With a storied history that spans five decades, Patrick Evil's devilish warriors here bring together their two distinct periods - the traditional/true metal of their early work, and the blasting black metal of their middle period - and tastefully modernize it into a sound that is totally all their own. With Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin delivering his best vocal performance ever, right now, no one's able to touch Satan's Host for sheer mastery and uniqueness: Pre-dating god Parts 1 & 2 will soon be a metal classic for time eternal!

Drummer Anthony Lopez reports the following regarding "Pre-dating god" Parts 1 & 2: "We are really happy with these new albums. We put a lot of hard work into this project - the outcome became more than what we anticipated, and we really hope to take things to a whole new level in the metal industry with the presence of Satan's Host. Our goal is to always push the envelope and explore new territory musically and lyrically. Harry is singing more powerful today than he ever has. Patrick is just a master of riffs and song structures, and he is always coming up with phenomenal material - the man never stops. And for me, well, I'm just having a blast making records and jamming with my metal brothers. We really hope that the fans enjoy this effort, because there is more coming in future!"

Recorded between July and September this year at Flatline Audio and produced, engineered, mixed, and mastered by Dave Otero, both parts of Satan's Host's "Pre-dating God" feature artwork by the legendary Joe Petagno.

The songs in the trailer sound solid!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:51 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
The songs in the trailer sound solid!

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:09 am 

If somebody doesn't have anything better to do, check out my one-man GRAVE DIGGER medley! I had to try out my new homestudio, so I recorded this quickly before going on with new Rollas, Blazon etc etc.
https://soundcloud.com/studiotwobeat/gr ... ger-medley

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:40 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
If somebody doesn't have anything better to do, check out my one-man GRAVE DIGGER medley! I had to try out my new homestudio, so I recorded this quickly before going on with new Rollas, Blazon etc etc.
https://soundcloud.com/studiotwobeat/gr ... ger-medley

Listening now. This fucking rocks!! :headbang: Good shit, dude.

Like your reviews?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:48 pm 

Sounds excellent, Rock_Rollas! Your vocals are rich and full of energy, and the medley is seamless! So when are you starting Grave Reaper, your band influenced by Grave Digger? Haha! I'd buy your album.

Edit: That name's taken. How about Digsite Reaper?

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:59 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Sounds excellent, Rock_Rollas! Your vocals are rich and full of energy, and the medley is seamless! So when are you starting Grave Reaper, your band influenced by Grave Digger? Haha! I'd buy your album.

Edit: That name's taken. How about Digsite Reaper?

Rigor Metallis? :)

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:25 pm 

I'm glad you like it ;) I might do some other medleys in the future, most probably a Running Wild one!
And then some longer "random speed metal" medley featuring a lot of good shit!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460 ... 625  Next