Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:33 pm 

Still better than the rather unimaginative new Tad Morose song with the average song structure and annoying, repetitive chorus. :p That song can't even touch the "okay" songs on the earlier TM albums. No real atmosphere, the riffs aren't as good and I just don't really like Ronny Hemlin's style at all. He over-sells it way too hard. And his vocals are just too loud - I want to hear more of what the guitars are doing.

Trail of Murder is awesome; every song is well done and I don't think I'd change a thing. One of the best things Urban has sang on yet.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:14 pm 

I'm somewhere between you two guys regarding the new TM track; I like it, but..... I don't know, it doesn't feel as inspired as their previous stuff, really. Hemlin's a good singer, but he can't match Breed's inflection and melodies. I'm willing to check out the album, but I'm not expecting to be blown away.

And yeah, Trail of Murder fucking rules. What's wrong with you, Colin? :-P

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Meh.

This is Tad Morose now. I have declared it!

lol, I'll just never get my wish with Breed. I wish the dude would end up in a far more intense/thrash/speed styled band... like fuck he'd probably be cool in Artillery or something.

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:06 am 

colin040 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW5m2okg8mM

New Tad Morose song in its entirely and I'm loving it. Nothing too far away from the last couple of Urban Breed albums but still new and exciting. I just hope the entire album will be this good as I find Tad Morose to be very inconsistent anyway.

That was rather disappointing. I wasn't expecting the freshest thing in the world but that was just so drab.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:40 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Meh.

lol, I'll just never get my wish with Breed. I wish the dude would end up in a far more intense/thrash/speed styled band... like fuck he'd probably be cool in Artillery or something.

OK, trail of the murder is the best thing that happened to me today. Like this kind of epicish dark heavy metal. :hyper:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:44 am 

See, Evangelion knows what it's all about. :p

Gotta say Xeo has a point with Breed being in Artillery or a similar band, that would rule indeed.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:53 am 

So, I finally got a copy of Mysterium. Good stuff as expected, I like it more than Hellwell and it's certainly no let down. As per usual most complaints about the production/lack of Shelton (you shitting me, he's singing more here than on Playground...!)/new drummer are not things I have problems with. 'Only the Brave' sucks, though. On the other hand, 'The Battle of Bonchester Bridge' is totally awesome; instant favourite! I'm not entirely sold on the epic track, though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:32 pm 

I don't think "Only the Brave" sucks, but it's not their best. Sort of a middle-of-the-road (excuse the pun) for them, which is how I feel about the epic. Definitely not bad, but nowhere near "Dreams of Eschaton", "Books of Skelos", etc. But yeah, Bonchester Bridge is an instant classic as far as I'm concerned. Overall I'd put the album pretty much right near the middle of their discog. Certainly not a classic, but I think I've already listened to it more times than I've listened to Out of the Abyss or Gates of Fire or Atlantis Rising.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:45 pm 

I like "Mysterium" the song, and "Only the Brave" is my favorite of those rather average songs in the middle of the album - certainly catchier than "Hallowed be Thy Grave" or that other one that I can't remember.

"Hermitage" is pretty rad. And I really like "The Grey God Passes" - infectious.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:22 am 

For me, Out of the Abyss > Gates of Fire > Mysterium > Atlantis Rising. I don't really hear any "classics" on Mysterium, The Grey God Passes and the Shelton songs (except The Fountain, for me anyway) are very solid, but the rest is fairly bland and uninspired, and Hellroadie really sounds pretty bad here. Also, iirc Shelton sang on 5/8 songs on Playground and sings on 4/9 here...just for the record. What really puts OotA and GoF above this record for me is a really gripping, timeless song; "Return of the Old Ones" and "Epitaph to the King", respectively. Battle of Bonchester and Hermitage are both very good but don't stand up to other MR greats; i.e. I would not give them a 10/10. Besides the first two albums, Atlantis Rising is the only other MR release that does not contain a 10/10 track for me. Still a decent album overall, though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:27 am 

Yeah, The Grey God passes is a good 'un. Nice, mood-setting-if-not-outstanding opener so I guess it's a little like 'Metalstrom' in that respect. I've still not heard Atlantis Rising but Gates of Fire is probably my least favourite of the reunion stuff (even then I'd rate it in the mid-70s, because there's some really cool stuff on that album even if the epics are bloated). I really do love that they're putting out albums yearly, at the moment, hopefully there's another release just around the corner. :D

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:09 am 

Any appreciators of the album Master Control by Liege Lord in this thread? Got into the album this summer while working a janitor job. Great music to take out the trash to :P
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:31 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Any appreciators of the album Master Control by Liege Lord in this thread? Got into the album this summer while working a janitor job. Great music to take out the trash to :P

Uh, yeah, Master Control is just about the best straight-ahead aggressive USPM album ever recorded. Hands down.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:25 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

A fucking killer album. Master Control is among my favorite ever power metal tracks.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:51 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Yes, excellent piece of USPM. I have never seen anything but praise for it around these parts, really.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:31 pm 

And I know I don't even have to ask about Agent Steel... :P
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:56 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

Yes, excellent piece of USPM. I have never seen anything but praise for it around these parts, really.

USPM in generally is well loved here. I really don't know much about it, I mean I love Virgin Steele but what little I've heard sounds closer to like more melodic speed metal or thrash. I don't know if there is any out there has a really epic, heroic feel with the riffiness inherent to USPM like virgin steele.

Also, listening to 'starfall' by dragonland and the album finally clicked. It doesn't have the neoclassical speed or straight power chord, high fantasy huge chorus garden variety power metal stuff but it definitely makes up for it in atmosphere. There's not really many obvious big choruses that seem to repeat out of habit or a lot of really striking riffs that stand out merely as such. It's just atmopsheric, reaching, progressive riffs and keyboards that work but don't stay around long enough for any type of groove, leaving mental space open for the vocalist to just wail at you gloriously. I don't notice any instrumental parts because they don't seem separate from anything else in the album.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:21 pm 

I'm really not a fan of Mysterium much at all. It's down towards the bottom as far as Manilla Road albums go for me, too. I don't think there's really a song on there that really captivates me a huge deal. Battle of Bonchester Bridge is probably the best on the album, as others have said. Definitely a disappointment...

Liege Lord's Master Control is a pretty killer album.

Now, has anyone heard of Dead Lord? They're pretty great Thin Lizzy-esque hard rock (yeah, they're not on the archives, but I figured that the crowd here would be receptive, so hopefully it's not too off topic) on High Roller Records. Really solid debut album they put out this year. Delicious guitarwork that should please fans of stuff like Slough Feg, I'm sure!

Guitarpro77889
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:53 pm 

anybody have some power metal with really fast paced & upbeat riffs & full vocals? Looking for something along the lines of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnAvNdVyJB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N6X3soFFTo

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:53 am 

Guitarpro77889 wrote:
anybody have some power metal with really fast paced & upbeat riffs & full vocals? Looking for something along the lines of these

Your post is a little confusing, you say your looking for fast, but both of your examples are rather slow. I guess your looking for similar but faster? I'm also not quite sure what mean by "full vocals", but given your examples I guess your looking for lower pitched. Try these:

Grave Digger "Highland Farewell":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqp6z6vfHX8

Iron Savior "Riding on Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHkaUvCET_o

Black Majesty "Journey To The Soul"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nl42eyMX88

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:34 pm 

little request here... Is there some kind of a "Somewhere in Time" clone/worship band. For sure there are tons of bands influenced by Maiden but is there
one who actually has that special SiT style with the guitar-synth effects and such?

Thanks in advance...

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:49 pm 

Guitarpro77889 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjxZ6Y8uLY Helloween the Saints

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:18 am 

Are there any suggestions for newer bands (and releases) with good shriekers ? I'm thinking post-2000 bands (new bands with new relatively unknown vocalists, NOT another James Riveira or Tim Owens project).

Shriek content can be anything from a restrained tasteful 30 % of the total vocals to an over-the-top 70 % of the album content (or god forbid , more).

Vocal gymnastics preferred : Painkiller era Halford (or whoever that was), pre-Operation Tate, classic era Midnight or the apparently endless Riveria and Owens.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 am 

suleiman wrote:
Are there any suggestions for newer bands (and releases) with good shriekers? ... Painkiller era Halford

Chaos Asylum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjnTUycxYc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZFdrlV9hk

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 am 

Opus wrote:
suleiman wrote:
Are there any suggestions for newer bands (and releases) with good shriekers? ... Painkiller era Halford

Chaos Asylum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjnTUycxYc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZFdrlV9hk

Thank you !! That is pretty much 75 % Painkiller worship. The band has definite potential, as they are already sounding pretty tight given that this is their first album goddamn !

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 am 

suleiman wrote:
Are there any suggestions for newer bands (and releases) with good shriekers?

Volture
http://volture.bandcamp.com/album/rulebreaker
http://www.apochs.net/Exclusive/Volture.html
http://volture.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-edge-2
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 am 

Randomly ran across this new band Twilight of the Gods...members of Einherjer/Thyrfing/Aura Noir, plus Nick Barker (is that considered a positive) and THE PRIMORDIAL DUDE ON VOCALS!

Pretty solid heavy metal so far.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:26 pm 

The new Mystic Prophecy is fun. Got some great tunes - a few weaker ones but the first half is awesome and the second half has "Warriors of the Northern Seas," which promptly goes head to head with anything Amon Amarth has ever done for Viking awesomeness.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:01 pm 

suleiman wrote:
Are there any suggestions for newer bands (and releases) with good shriekers ? I'm thinking post-2000 bands (new bands with new relatively unknown vocalists, NOT another James Riveira or Tim Owens project).

Shriek content can be anything from a restrained tasteful 30 % of the total vocals to an over-the-top 70 % of the album content (or god forbid , more).

Vocal gymnastics preferred : Painkiller era Halford (or whoever that was), pre-Operation Tate, classic era Midnight or the apparently endless Riveria and Owens.

Skelator is a good one for this. Their last two releases are very solid, if not excellent, slabs of epic heavy/power metal and Conde-Houston is one hell of a shrieker, I think he's honestly improved over time.

Axehammer put out an album last year and the singer has a bit of that white-collar, Tate-esque tinge to his voice and shrieks occasionally. Solid stuff.

Solitary Sabred are an epic heavy metal band that has an excellent shrieker, their debut is pretty solid, as is their most recent single.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Meh.

Not bad. Could use some actual riffs during the verses, but the chorus carries the song reasonably well.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:43 pm 

Quote:

Rulebreaker is the jam ! That riff, my god, its like a teleport machine to a classic metal world. The singer's good in that nostalgic NWOBHM way but with added american 80's action. "On the Edge" is on my to get list now. Thanx a lot.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:23 pm 

suleiman wrote:
Quote:

Rulebreaker is the jam ! That riff, my god, its like a teleport machine to a classic metal world. The singer's good in that nostalgic NWOBHM way but with added american 80's action. "On the Edge" is on my to get list now. Thanx a lot.

No problem chief, glad you dug em!!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Meh.

Not bad. Could use some actual riffs during the verses, but the chorus carries the song reasonably well.

That's not one of the riffier tunes. The heavier, faster songs on the album basically sound like Modus Vivendi-era Tad Morose with slightly more focus on the vocals. The riffs are about the same as they were in those days - granite-heavy slabs of metal. So if you liked old TM you'd like Trail of Murder too. :thumbsup:

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 pm 

suleiman wrote:
Quote:

They are touring now, playing with Diamond Head and Raven in SF on the 15th, at the DNA Lounge I'm so psyched.
http://www.dnalounge.com/calendar/2013/10-15.html
not really sure where the other shows are it doesn't say on the website but has reno and oakland on they're bandcamp

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 am 

Empyreal wrote:
That's not one of the riffier tunes. The heavier, faster songs on the album basically sound like Modus Vivendi-era Tad Morose with slightly more focus on the vocals. The riffs are about the same as they were in those days - granite-heavy slabs of metal. So if you liked old TM you'd like Trail of Murder too. :thumbsup:

Listened to the rest of the album, and it's pretty enjoyable. Very hook-oriented, almost poppy under the heavy exterior, but well-constructed and infectious as hell. Would like a bit more substance under the aesthetics and atmosphere, but yeah, I dig this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:23 am 

Yeah, it's less proggy than old Tad Morose was. But as accessible as it is, it hasn't gotten old for me at all in the near year since I heard it first.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 am 

Accidentally stumbled across this band yesterday:

Fuckin' bonkers speed metal. I love how the vocalist has this rough but tuneful yelp that hovers just on the edge of losing his shit, haha. RIFTS.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Skelator is a good one for this. Their last two releases are very solid, if not excellent, slabs of epic heavy/power metal and Conde-Houston is one hell of a shrieker, I think he's honestly improved over time.

Yup, that dude is a deifnite rising star of shriek-world. In places like a higher picthed Hansi Kürsch from the early classic BG albums. Good tunes too, with touches of speed-metal, maiden, NWOBHM and some other bands who sing about / or have in theri names , steel.

Thanks, this one's a keeper.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:32 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Accidentally stumbled across this band yesterday:

Spoiler: show

Fuckin' bonkers speed metal. I love how the vocalist has this rough but tuneful yelp that hovers just on the edge of losing his shit, haha. RIFTS.

Hot damn, that was fast and delicious! Gonna check out their other material now :headbang:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 am 

Anybody heard the new Atlantean Kodex? I thought the debut was a bit of a disappointment, but so far this one might be better.

Also the second Christian Mistress album is growing on me. I was disappointed at first because I LOVE the debut, but it has its own charm.

ALSO, god damn fuck shit, I really want to see this Vicious Rumors/Leatherwolf/Seven Witches tour coming to Houston next week but I think I'll be working. Maybe I can figure something out.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413 ... 624  Next