Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:10 am 

I'm just expected whispered vocals, electronic drums and neutered guitars so I won't be disappointed.

Although this is doom, it's of the more up-tempo Trouble/Obsessed variety so I think a lot of you might be pleasantly surprised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQdWAx5B60k

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Although this is doom, it's of the more up-tempo Trouble/Obsessed variety so I think a lot of you might be pleasantly surprised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQdWAx5B60k

That's my favorite doom full-length of the year so far. Their youthful enthusiasm for the genre really brings me back to a time when I was still discovering all the different styles of traditional doom and the classic bands.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
That's my favorite doom full-length of the year so far. Their youthful enthusiasm for the genre really brings me back to a time when I was still discovering all the different styles of traditional doom and the classic bands.

I googled the band only to find out that the singer/guitarist is none other than Black Sabbath Online's very own sn0wb1ind0zzy, who I've posted alongside with. Pretty cool. I plan on purchasing the CD relatively soon.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:30 am 

New Virgin Steele samples online

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nocturnes-Hellf ... 331&sr=1-1

Well, this doesn't really make me get excited. DeFeis continues to sound silly and the guitartone is still quite processed sounding. Perhaps the songwriting sounds more smooth this time but it's hard to tell judging on these samples ofcourse.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:23 am 

It's hardly surprising that new Virgin Steele material would suck. The band has been on the decline for over 25 years or so and embarsssing themselves since the turn of the millenium.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:29 am 

Whoa, holy shit, what the fuck happened to DeFeis?! He sounded just fine a few years ago on the early Avantasia albums, but now he sounds like a muppet. What the hell, man?!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:32 am 

They aren't knocking it out of the park, but I tried a few of the samples and it sounds pretty solid so far. I'll be interested to hear the whole thing.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:38 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Whoa, holy shit, what the fuck happened to DeFeis?! He sounded just fine a few years ago on the early Avantasia albums, but now he sounds like a muppet. What the hell, man?!

The guy can still sing, as he proved on the acoustic disc on Invictus, he just chooses not to.

Here are two links of that acoustic disc:

http://picosong.com/c37A

http://picosong.com/c3Wd

I'd say ''Hymns to Damnation'', ''Lucifer's Hammer'' and ''Persephone'' are slightly promising sounding, but the rest just leaves me cold. DeFeis' random wailing just sounds so silly it almost ruins the experience to me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:43 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:

A few years ago? That was 15 years ago.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:53 am 

Riffs wrote:
It's hardly surprising that new Virgin Steele material would suck. The band has been on the decline for over 25 years or so and embarsssing themselves since the turn of the millenium.

On the decline for 25 years? Really? I mean yeah, Life Among the Ruins sucked, but are you seriously saying that the Marriage and Atreus albums are worse than Noble Savage or Age of Consent? There's actually someone in the universe that thinks this?

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:17 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
On the decline for 25 years? Really? I mean yeah, Life Among the Ruins sucked, but are you seriously saying that the Marriage and Atreus albums are worse than Noble Savage or Age of Consent? There's actually someone in the universe that thinks this?

Nothing will ever top Noble Savage. It's one of the greatest piece of american heavy metal history. The articulate drumming alone makes it vastly superior to everything that came afterwards. It's got DeFeis at his peak vocally, it's got great songs, wild, jazzy solos. There's a bit of everything from epic to prog metal.

The Marriage albums are good but you can already see DeFeis' love for Manowar take him on the road to a more european power metal sound, with monotonous drumming, less dynamic performances. When Invictus rolled around, the transformation was complete. The performance were getting more and more lifeless. That's what happens when guys create music with sequencers at home instead of hanging out in a rehearsal room, jamming as a cohesive band.

There are still some really fun songs up to House of Atreus, though. But the decline after Noble Savage is evident (I'm excluding Life Among the Ruins from the equation because I like to pretend it never existed).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:28 am 

You must be in the minority, then. :P

Noble Savage has a great title track but no other tune on that album really does it for me. DeFeis still sounded a bit inexperienced on that album, too. The only 80's VS album I find somewhat valuable is Age of Consent. DeFeis sounds really good on it. You can hear how his voice sounded thicker and had a more masculine quality to from there on. Edward shines more on that album, too. ''The Burning of Rome'' (obviously) and ''Lion in Winter'' are top notch and rival some of their bands 90's tunes...but the rest ranges from decent and somewhat fun to just plain silly. I read somewhere the band and the label had disagreements about the musical direction Age of Consent should have aimed for. The label wanted them to go into a more commercial direction, DeFeis wanted to aim for a more epic sound and the rest of the band didn't really care. I can only imagine how that album would have sounded if it wasn't as inconsistent as much. Ah well.

I do agree that later on (say from Invictus and onwards) Virgin Steele seemed to focus more on songwriting rather than on performances. On the other hand, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell series display Edward and DeFeis at their best while the songwriting is absolutely incredible on those albums.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:19 pm 

Okay, having heard all the samples, seems like there are some cool riffs, but DeFeis if possible sounds EVEN WORSE than he did on TBLB...makes me want to hear Ed Pursino get his own project with a halfway decent vocalist. DeFeis has descended into near-(current)Ozzy levels of shittiness.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:27 pm 

Man what samples are you guys listening to? Defeis doesn't sound that bad, taking into account that the samples are shit because they're shitty streams and compressed to hell and back. Wait until we get a full song with a decent bitrate before writing off the band. At the very least we can tell that the album will have way more riffs than TBLB.

Also I have no idea what albums Riffs heard, but I'm confident he's the only person to think that Virgin Steele got worse after Noble Savage in the history of Virgin Steele fans.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:39 pm 

Defeis doesn't sound great anymore, but at least he seems to be actually singing on these clips, unlike the last one where he was trying to be artsy and whatnot. Complaining about his actual voice (not singing style) now is like complaining about Halford or Klause Meine or someone - yeah, they sounded tons better years ago, but what do you really want? Nobody's voice lasts forever. I'm just hoping for some cool riffs and powerful songs again, is all.

I will give Riffs this - Noble Savage is pretty fucking great. I'd never heard it before.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:44 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Man what samples are you guys listening to? Defeis doesn't sound that bad, taking into account that the samples are shit because they're shitty streams and compressed to hell and back. Wait until we get a full song with a decent bitrate before writing off the band. At the very least we can tell that the album will have way more riffs than TBLB.

Also I have no idea what albums Riffs heard, but I'm confident he's the only person to think that Virgin Steele got worse after Noble Savage in the history of Virgin Steele fans.

Been a huge fan since discovering them around 1987-1988. I've owned everything from Virgin Steele up to Visions of Eden. I've heard all these albums at least several times and some of them like Noble Savage, Marriage I and II, Guardians of the Flame all find their way on my ipod rotation several times a year.

After Visions, I gave up even trying. Since then, I've heard the odd song here and there.

You're right about the samples. They are far too compressed to make a proper assessment. But hope is dim.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:37 pm 

revisiting Stone Dagger, Eternal Champion, and Visigoth today. HEAVY METAL

so glad I got to see EC's first live gig opening for Speedwolf and Manilla Road. Awesome.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:46 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I will give Riffs this - Noble Savage is pretty fucking great. I'd never heard it before.

Surprised you didn't know that album but glad you liked it. You should put your reviewer skills to use on this one.

I don't feel there is a review in the database that does Noble Savage justice.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:41 am 

Well sure, Noble Savage is a cool album - especially the title track. I'M A SAVAGE! I'M A KING! I actually got my first speeding ticket to that song. The album as a whole though just doesn't compare to the greatness of the later stuff.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:13 am 

I think 'Thy Kingdom Come' is the best song on the album. That piano section on 'Noble Savage' kinda kills the momentum of the song (especially with Defeis's glass-breaking, yelping-goat voice). The band probably had the potential to make a classic at that time, but they squandered their potential by writing a load of crappy rockers, too. I mean, fuckin' 'Rock Me'? I don't ever want to be 'rocked' again.

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:05 pm 

«Noble Savage» is a great album, maybe on my top5 of VIRGIN STEELE. "Thy Kingdom Come" and "Noble Savage" are songs that worth whole discographies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:07 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I think 'Thy Kingdom Come' is the best song on the album. That piano section on 'Noble Savage' kinda kills the momentum of the song (especially with Defeis's glass-breaking, yelping-goat voice). The band probably had the potential to make a classic at that time, but they squandered their potential by writing a load of crappy rockers, too. I mean, fuckin' 'Rock Me'? I don't ever want to be 'rocked' again.

Even the sillier songs are okay by me. "Rock Me" and "Close Your Eyes" are pretty goofy sounding, but not bad or anything really. The whole thing struck me as a very complete sounding, epic, powerful album. Though, yes, not as good as the 90s run.

Riffs wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Surprised you didn't know that album but glad you liked it. You should put your reviewer skills to use on this one.

I don't feel there is a review in the database that does Noble Savage justice.

I had heard Age of Consent and never thought it was that awesome, despite about 3-4 really great tracks. I guess I just figured Noble Savage would be more of the same - clearly I was wrong.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:28 pm 

''New'' Virgin Steele tune online, which actually is a re-arranged Exorcist tune. DeFeis sounds pretty great on this track. Better than on TBLB anyway. Sadly the song is just a bit dull. The original has better atmosphere, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5D3jqp0Mjg

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:16 pm 

Hm, yeah, the part in the middle is good, as is the last minute or so, but the verses and chorus are pretty unimpressive. Not much point in griping about the songwriting though, as it's just an old tune reworked for VS. The production still sounds kinda processed but it's much better than those shitty Amazon samples, and Virgin Steele's production has often been wonky, even on the good albums. Defeis sounds pretty decent, too. Still holding out some hope, here.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:02 am 

I love 80's VS, would rather listen to Guardians of the Flame than the last 2 releases, that's for sure. They were less polished, and without the unnecessary complexity. But as a fan I will check out the new one of course.

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:36 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtyPJ_x3X4

Thoughts on the debut album of WAR DANCE?
Epic Metal from Greece.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:22 pm 

S'alright, better than a lot of Greek epic metal. Some interesting ideas there, but the transition between sections is a bit disjointed. They have potential, at least.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:23 am 

Speaking of epic metal, there's this:

It kinda sucks (sure, it's energetic enough), but it's funny to hear a band rip off Crystal Logic so much.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:45 am 

as much as i like crystal logic... this is a bit much

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 pm 

Wasn't someone here discussing the Australian Tarot recently? I haven't heard them yet but the artwork for The Warrior's Spell combined with some things I've read in reviews and an interview...man I'm just so excited. Apparently Will was trying to capture the same vibe as old Heep and Purple. Just ordered mine today. I can't wait to see what each little EP holds. Their aesthetics are so on point.

I also snagged Lord Fist today. I was listening to Aktor on the way in to work and it reminded me that I needed that one too (same label). I know they got a little buzz here too. Still not sure what they sound like but look at that album cover!!

I'm completely smitten by Aktor. It's been a few days since I heard it for the first time and it's even better than I remembered. And the circumstances of that first listen were REALLY good (I'll leave it at that). The balance and interplay between those big cheesy 80s laser-keys and the gritty riffing is so powerful. The whole thing is so short and punchy too. Great lyrics, great pacing...god damn man. It's better than I expected.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 pm 

Oh my god that Ironsword track sucks. The vocals are just awful. It's like Crystal Logic sapped of every single quality that made it awesome.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:43 pm 

While we're on the subject of things sucking.. I'm just going to leave this right here:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:10 am 

So, I'm not familiar with W.A.S.P.

Am I missing anything, and if so, what should I focus my attention towards?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:12 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So, I'm not familiar with W.A.S.P.

Am I missing anything, and if so, what should I focus my attention towards?

This. Now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:29 am 

Alrighty. Any other noteworthy albums?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:46 am 

Yeah you could skip that boring bullshit and listen to their debut like a normal person. Not very riffy per se but it's stuffed full of anthems. Perfect album for the road, tons of big hooks and stupid snotty teenage lyrics to sing along with. It's great!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:52 am 

Not sure you qualify as a "normal person", Jonpo, dear! Knowing what Zelkiiro likes, I'm pretty sure he'll prefer The Crimson Idol to their earlier days and it's often accepted as their magnum opus, at least it is for me!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:56 am 

You're probably right on both counts.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:52 am 

It's The Crimson Idol AND The Headless Children! Get it right!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:25 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Yeah you could skip that boring bullshit

What a weird typo, you were trying to write "amazing album" but it somehow came out "boring bullshit."

Maybe you need a doctor.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479 ... 624  Next