Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:28 pm 

I've got absolute faith in them. It's just cool to know who's handling the recording from a technical side. They're gonna sound a lot cleaner than they do on tape but he understands how 'eavy metal is supposed to sound. I get the feeling they're not the kind of act to take very long in the recording process. I'm curious who's gonna put it out though. I'd probably snag it on tape for continuity sake but I'm expecting a cd pressing.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:10 am 

I've been recently getting really into power metal. I've been really digging Blind Guardian, Helloween, Running Wild, Scanner, Pharaoh, Fates Warning, Savatage lately. What other "can't miss" albums and bands would you guys suggest? I'd prefer the music to not be overly dominated by keyboards, but some tasteful keyboard passages are fine.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:28 am 

Currently listening to Transcendence after claiming the CG debut is far better, just wanted to review. It led me to wonder...who made the best Masque of the Red Death song? I'm obviously partial to Manilla Road but I'd like to get a huge playlist of all of them and listen to them back-to-back-to-back-to....Stormwitch's is a sleeper!

Okay so after those three it looks like pretty much every other band sucks. Unless they used "Mask" instead of "Masque" and I didn't catch it in a search. Although I did learn there's a band called Edgar Allen Ectoplasm...so there's that.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:13 pm 

Yeah it's pretty much been sealed for years now that I'll always like CG's debut the most.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm 

Yeah I've listened to Transcendence a few times today and there are some jams but it's still not even close to the debut for me.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:25 pm 

The_Krusher wrote:
I've been recently getting really into power metal. I've been really digging Blind Guardian, Helloween, Running Wild, Scanner, Pharaoh, Fates Warning, Savatage lately. What other "can't miss" albums and bands would you guys suggest? I'd prefer the music to not be overly dominated by keyboards, but some tasteful keyboard passages are fine.

Riot - Thunersteel
Heavens Gate - In Control
Labÿrinth - Return To Heaven Denied
Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife
Rawhead Rexx - Rawhead Rexx
Gamma Ray - No World Order
Paragon - Law of the Blade
Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Striker - Armed To The Teeth
Wardrum - Messenger
Enforcer - Death By Fire

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 am 

By the way how does it come I am enjoying Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor album however I could never get into Blind Guardian?
On Blind Guardian I really dislike the mix of backing vocals. Which album should I try out when I like that Savage Circus album?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:30 am 

The first two Blind Guardian is just pure speed metal. Somewhere Far Beyond has a moderate amount of the bombasm that BG has become known for (and accused of). To me the first six albums are masterpieces, the pinnacle being Nightfall. At A Night at the Opera they lost me, more arrangements than substance from then on.

Oh and check out Orden Ogan too!

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:48 am 

I'm looking for a compiled list of recent Trad/Heavy bands? Does such a list exist? I'm looking for a specific band but I will only be able to recognize them from a logo. I saw them on a flyer online recently but I can seem to dig it up.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am 

mudrnudl wrote:
By the way how does it come I am enjoying Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor album however I could never get into Blind Guardian?
On Blind Guardian I really dislike the mix of backing vocals. Which album should I try out when I like that Savage Circus album?

I could never get into BG either, maybe TFtTW and SFB are exceptions to that. I just find that the sound is too layered for its own good, and the vocals are a bit off-putting.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 pm 

StillDeath wrote:
mudrnudl wrote:

I could never get into BG either, maybe TFtTW and SFB are exceptions to that. I just find that the sound is too layered for its own good, and the vocals are a bit off-putting.

I thought SFB was the perfect balance of what BG were at the time. It was going into the more bombastic epic direction but still retained a lot of the speed metal roots and turned out awesome. The production is amazing too. I seem to be a rare one that doesn't like Imaginations from the Other Side because of the thinner production and the metal was losing the power here for sure. Just too fancy for me.

Tales from the Twilight World is amazing too though and comes off as their angriest most aggressive album after Follow the Blind. Just listen to how savage Tommyknockers (lol) is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBq2h1N7xJo

Anyways, yeah. Anyone who has written off their early material because of the new stuff should give them another chance. Tokyo Tales is amazing too and almost sounds like a studio album, one of my rare live album favorites.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:12 pm 

StillDeath wrote:
mudrnudl wrote:

Xeogred wrote:
I thought SFB was the perfect balance of what BG were at the time. It was going into the more bombastic epic direction but still retained a lot of the speed metal roots and turned out awesome. The production is amazing too. I seem to be a rare one that doesn't like Imaginations from the Other Side because of the thinner production and the metal was losing the power here for sure. Just too fancy for me.

Tales from the Twilight World is amazing too though and comes off as their angriest most aggressive album after Follow the Blind. Just listen to how savage Tommyknockers (lol) is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBq2h1N7xJo

Anyways, yeah. Anyone who has written off their early material because of the new stuff should give them another chance. Tokyo Tales is amazing too and almost sounds like a studio album, one of my rare live album favorites.

Actually pretty cool song, I had to find another source because this one is in terrible quality but it is really cool. I will try that album very soon.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:37 pm 

Oh yeah "Tommyknockers" fuckin' rules, probably my favorite song on the album. A pity they only played it live a few times shortly after the album's release, one of their most aggressive tracks. I read part of King's 'The Tommyknockers' upon which the song is of course based a few years back, quite cool stuff. Hansi seems to have had pretty good literary taste throughout the years, in my opinion anyway. Of course, I'm one of those folks who thoroughly enjoys 'The Wheel of Time'!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:11 pm 

That album rules from the fifth track on. First four tracks are not my cup of tea. At least Hansi is on this album singing some parts without any backing tracks - I really appreciate that. Would be much better if he sings higher but unfortunately he has got that heavy voice. Every coin has two sides... :D So as you have told me, my next stop is Follow the Blind album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:58 am 

Are you saying you don't like "Welcome to Dying"??

o_O

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:03 am 

All the songs on there are basically the same style with little variety in any big way - dunno how you only like half of it? :???:

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:10 am 

the second half sounds catchier to me. the first half not.

Edit:
Nope, you were right, all album is fine :). However that Follow the Blind was not OK with me. I didn't like it. I will try Imaginations from the Other Side and Somewhere Far Beyond soon.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:01 am 

Battalions of Fear is amazing, imo. Blistering!

http://metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=4694

I like everything through Nightfall, although obviously I like Nightfall for very different reasons than BoF, or even something like SFB or Imaginations. ANATO is where it went to shit, for me, although to be fair I haven't heard that album in a very long time.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:48 am 

The first two Blind Guardian albums rule. Only a stupid would underrate them! A stupid!

Just picked up the Heathen's Rage comp that came out this year; really cool stuff. What do you lot think of them? Stupidly I missed them at KIT because I was too busy drinking or something.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:54 pm 

Heathen's Rage are pretty cool. Not amazing, but solid B-Grade stuff with a noticeable NWOBHM influence. Didn't realize they had a new comp out, but that's pretty sweet. "Fight Till the End" is probably their best song (that I've heard). For others that haven't heard it, check it here:

macmoney wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:03 am 

I keep coming back to Battle Beast, so good. The s/t is excellent. Unholy Savior might not be quite as good, but it's definitely not a huge departure.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I keep coming back to Battle Beast, so good. The s/t is excellent. Unholy Savior might not be quite as good, but it's definitely not a huge departure.

I love both albums and I wonder where are they heading now without their songwriter... It is such a pity that people with amazing songwriting talent never come along with other folks in the band because they want things being done properly and their way... Same thing is behind the split of Lost Horizon. By the way anyone of you know a singer who can stand next to Daniel Heiman by now? I know Sean Peck and Kelly Carpenter are among very few who be able to stay in high register singing in tune all the freaking song without losing any power and have total control over it and sound brutal. I am tracking many talented singers but not many of them are godlike :D.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:23 pm 

Only really interesting Battle Beast for me is Steel. I like the others OK I guess but I guess I don't really need that many albums from em and they have gotten slightly weaker with each album - bit of a shallow act when you get down to it...but damn, Steel has enough energy to fucking rock out. Great stuff.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:53 pm 

I'd say Unholy Savior is my favorite album of theirs, if only by a little. Steel is the silver medalist and the self-titled comes in with the bronze.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:49 pm 

So, I should probably get around to writing a review for the new Messiah's Kiss album, because it rules. It's very much hard rock in metal clothes, with well-written songs and great, kinetic riffing. Mike Tirelli is stellar, as always. It might be a slight bit overlong (14 tracks, two or three of which could have probably been cut), but my god are the highlights great. In many ways, it strikes me as what Riot was trying to do with their newest, except better.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:40 pm 

Man, the first In Solitude album is so much better than their other stuff. I always knew I was going to be like this... but damn, it makes their other stuff (well, Sister mostly) sound so fucking boring in comparison.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm 

Yep.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:29 pm 

Haven't heard Sister, but I thought the second album was still awesome. Shame they broke up, unless Sister was that bad or something.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:14 am 

Sister wasn't awful, but it was rather dull. Maybe they could have done something more interesting with that gothic/heavy metal stuff with time, but it seems that wasn't going to happen. They basically Queensryche-d it by starting off great and then getting ideas above their station.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:28 pm 

Our beloved Count_V decided to offload a few CDs on me. I'm so smitten by Vortex. I remembered us listening to it before a show once but I was drunk. It's very outsider and unique. Reminds me of fringe personal classics like Deep Switchs album and the Hell demos. It sounds like it was created in a vacuum after hearing the best the 70s had to offer. Nwobhm reached by accident on some songs. Others are more moody and atmospheric. The vocals sound like some maniacal combination of dude from Cloven Hoofs debut and Iggy. It's taken me a lot of spins to go from "the fuck is this even?" all the way down the line to obsession.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:42 pm 

Yeah Vortex is cool stuff. It's surprising how much good stuff there is in 80s trad from the Netherlands, especially considering how few bands there were. Vortex, Vault, Angus, Martyr, Dark Wizard, Mysto Dysto, Leader, Defender. But yeah, the Vortex guy definitely has a super memorable voice, that weird bellowing quaver is inimitable.

macmoney wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:59 pm 

Yeah Vortex do seem like they'd be up your alley, Jonpoop. Which album(s) did you get? I've gotten everything up until their most recent one, the quality is a bit up and down but all of them are at least interesting and different. They're a great example of how a band can be 100% traditional heavy metal, yet sound totally distinct and unlike any other band.

One thing I like about Vortex is how they get amusingly fixated on different things from album to album - on Drink Bat Blood for example they suddenly introduced this certain kind of backing gang vocals that weren't in any album before, and liked them so much that they smushed them in all over the place. They're like Manilla Road in that their albums sound pretty distinct from one another, except it's much more dependent on being amateurs - it reminds me of when a new guitar player learns to divebomb or sweep pick or whatever and suddenly that technique is in every single one of his songs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 am 

To be honest I just assumed everything after Open the Gates was going to be a tragedy. Not so? I got the debut with Metal Bats attached. The LP is better but there's some special naivete going on with Metal Bats. Their whole style just speaks to me. It's so heedless of everything going on in 1985.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:05 am 

Oh no bro, if anything they got even weirder and crustier as time went on. If you think they were heedless of things going on in 1985, check them out in 2005:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:54 am 

Man. That was pretty much exactly like their 80s stuff. Just a huge thick riff played with a ton of sloppy swagger. The lyrics were a bit uh...lame...but the song as a whole was really killer. I loved the brightly textured solo work. I'm interested. I'm surprised.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:12 pm 

Well, I'd link more but it's like the only track from their new stuff on youtube.

Check this out too, it's a good track and pretty good sound quality:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 pm 

That one is a quality midpaced jam too. I hope their more modern stuff lays on the speed from time to time. I've been pricing out their 00s albums.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:19 pm 

Hm, not too often, unfortunately. One of the downsides of Vortex is that each album gets a bit internally same-y. Still worth getting though, their albums are pretty widely available. Note that I don't actually have the 2014 album, so I can't comment as to its quality.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:56 pm 

Duly noted.

Another really fringe band they remind me of in an indirect way would be Lazarus Sin.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39 pm 

Yall heard this new Encyrcle? Really solid Danish heavy/power/speed/whatever.

I suppose they're comparable to Manticora, but speedier and more traditional I'd say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFiKzoYGdM

I've mentioned them before but I'm really listening now and it's great.

also, Tentation just released a cool French heavy metal EP.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 ... 625  Next