* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:30 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I can never remember any songs off The Eternal Idol.

Not even The Shining? I always thought that one was quite infectious!

That one sorta is, but not even close to stuff like "Black Moon" or "Anno Mundi" for me really.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:25 pm 

The Animator wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Unfortunately, there really isn't much of anything that fits these criteria, and I've looked around quite a bit. There are a few older bands who sort of do what you're talking about, but white collar USPM in that vein has been practically non-existent since the mid 90s, and the absolute closest thing I can think of post-2000 are a couple of bands who infuse Arch era FW with a lot of blue collar stuff, which isn't very close to what you're looking for at all. Sorry mate.

Yeah, the only band I can think of like that is Apollo Ra, who haven't released anything since the year I was born . but suleiman, if you haven't heard them yet check it out, Singer sounds like Rob Halford with a cold bucket of water dumped on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bmVVahiR00

Oh yeah, I overlooked them since the material was recorded in 1989, though since the album wasn't released until 2000 that may be something he's interested in. Cool band, if not as memorable as Crimson Glory (of course, that's difficult to do).

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:04 am 

mudrnudl wrote:
Well, I have been lucky enough to come across the bands where Mário Linhares did vocals and of course they are not crimson glory but I have never heard anybody singing as crazy as Midnight until I have heard Mário Linhares.
Samples:
Spoiler: show

Also if you are looking for a singing insanity (technically-wise) don't forget about Lost Horizon:

and I must share this cover with you guys - I have never heard such a "Midnight-esque" impression before:

Thank you for the very cool recs. That Mario is a fantastic vocalist. He really has that evil rasp thing down, and combined with his ridiculous range its really something. I have to explore both Harlequin and Dark Avenger. Compositonally, the music is closer to blue collar USPM with similarities to Helstar and the like. The vocal timbre even brings a touch of Metal Chruch , always a plus in my book. The music is bit too muscular in places though.

Lost Horizon i know and like already, and yes their vocalist has a superb range. But again, the compositions are quite different.

I think early CG and QR owed their greatness as much to the phenomenal vocalists as to the amazing compotions s/ songwriting. The first is often there, but the second element is soerely missed in most newer bands. Nobody's writing stuff like "Dragon Lady" or "Azrael" or "Screaming in Digital" anymore :(

Btw, who the HELL is that guy screaming Eternal World...??? He needs a band quick !

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:06 am 

The Animator wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Unfortunately, there really isn't much of anything that fits these criteria, and I've looked around quite a bit. There are a few older bands who sort of do what you're talking about, but white collar USPM in that vein has been practically non-existent since the mid 90s, and the absolute closest thing I can think of post-2000 are a couple of bands who infuse Arch era FW with a lot of blue collar stuff, which isn't very close to what you're looking for at all. Sorry mate.

Yeah, the only band I can think of like that is Apollo Ra, who haven't released anything since the year I was born . but suleiman, if you haven't heard them yet check it out, Singer sounds like Rob Halford with a cold bucket of water dumped on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bmVVahiR00

Ha ! I love that band and that song :)........You know I ask this every year , in hopes that new M-A members may point me to something difefrent but I guess I have to stick with the few..

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:23 pm 

This Serious Black band actually isn't bad. Not really my style, but I can appreciate it so far. The opener is a fun track, although I wish it featured a neck breaking riff showing up in a while just to surprise people. :P ''Akhenaton'' is another great tune...but funny enough gives me more of an Amorphis vibe than anything else.

I've discovered Wolf from Japan lately. Their full length album is sort of lacking and retained (though still has 2 highlights) but their compilation a vicious unstoppable force.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I can never remember any songs off The Eternal Idol.

"Glory Ride" and "Born to Lose" are great, memorable songs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:30 pm 

colin040 wrote:
This Serious Black band actually isn't bad. Not really my style, but I can appreciate it so far. The opener is a fun track, although I wish it featured a neck breaking riff showing up in a while just to surprise people. :P ''Akhenaton'' is another great tune...but funny enough gives me more of an Amorphis vibe than anything else.

It isn't as heavy as Trail of Murder or Tad Morose, but it's got some of the catchiest melodies around...seriously can't get these tunes out of my head. It sounds kinda like the Bloodbound debut but better.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:31 pm 

Wolf is pretty damn good. Very Anthem-ish.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:13 am 

Holy shit finally someone else mentions Wolf (Jpn). Good shit, check out their EP, too.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:17 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
Well, I have been lucky enough to come across the bands where Mário Linhares did vocals and of course they are not crimson glory but I have never heard anybody singing as crazy as Midnight until I have heard Mário Linhares.
Samples:

Thanks for posting Harllequin, man. Really liking this stuff :hail:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:36 pm 

IMHO the singer for Harlequin is nowhere near the ability or over-the-top-ness of Ski:

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:51 am 

true - I have completely forgotten the dude

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:20 pm 

I like Black Knight, but this ballad is absolutely terrible. :ugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLsRPBzhU4

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:10 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I like Black Knight, but this ballad is absolutely terrible. :ugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLsRPBzhU4

I originally hated that song too, but as time went on, I grew to appreciate it more. I could've sworn I read in the booklet to the CD that that song was just something Lori Wilde wanted to do, something like her influences, but I just read the whole booklet front to back, and found no reference to the song except for lyrics and credits. Maybe I read it in an interview on the Internet, I don't know. To me it sounds like an 80s power ballad from Heart, which is not a good thing, lol.

But other than that song, the CD is pretty solid, especially great are Warlord's Wrath and the absolute monster Aaraigathor. For a while I even had the opinion that Aaraigathor was the best metal song of all time.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:27 pm 

"Araigathor" really is an absolute monster, fucking amazing song. It's one of those songs from an otherwise very good band that just bumps them up to a whole other level, like High Power's "Offrande Charnelle" - so different from all their other songs, leaves you wondering where the fuck it came from.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:52 am 

I think the bassist was better than the female vocalist, should have just stuck with him.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:21 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I think the bassist was better than the female vocalist, should have just stuck with him.

In the liner notes for the CD, it says if he was the lead vocalist, they would've went in a more Metallica/Motorhead direction rather than what they were with Lori.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:33 pm 

They also would have had better vocals. :)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:24 pm 

I doubt he'd have done as well on some of those songs, but it would've been cool to see a more even split between vocal duties, at least. Anyway complaining about this kinda makes me feel like finding $5 on the street and whining that it wasn't $10. Lori isn't a bad singer by any means and "Araigathor" rules - I'm fine with that.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:42 am 

Just ordered a Future Tense compilation (The Final Cut). I listened to one song on youtube and it sounded kind of wild and raw. That wonderful '83 shit. Any fans/thoughts? No reviews on these guys.

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:20 am 

Hi, I need recommendations for new underground bands with a ''old school feeling''.
Bands such as Stonedagger and Magic Circle (heavy/doom)

Thank you!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:38 pm 

Old school feeling is pretty generic, although I'm listening to Stone Dagger now just to see if I could maybe help. The second song, which hits that massive groove really reminds me of the second half of Dawnbringer's "Into the Lair of the Sun God". Have you heard that? It's not as shamelessly committed to being "old school" as a lot of these newer bands but the second half shows all kinds of huge grooving influence from Sabbath and Purple. The first half is speedier, a bit more similar to the first song on the Stone Dagger tape but perhaps a little more involved musically.

They don't exactly sound alike but I REALLY want you to check out Borrowed Time, if you aren't familiar with them. One of the greatest bands I've come across in recent years. They are again old school without really TRYING to be, if that makes sense. They just compose the same kind of stuff they like which means huge riffs with a great ear for melodic twists, and fantastic leads. It doesn't hurt that the vocalist fucking kills, either.

For something more shamelessly old school I'd highly recommend Helvetet's Port "Exodus to Hell". Instead of being completely obsessed with nwobhm, or USPM, they take most of their cues from the early Swedish scene. Vocals are terrible in a really awesome way, and the songwriting has this tangible quirk to it. They're just weird as hell and totally awesome. Check out Fly By Night if you want a sample.

If you're looking for something more specific, give us a little more to work with.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:39 pm 

Yeah, you'll have to give us more pointers if you want more recs. I'm happy someone else likes Brendan Radigan's metal projects since this guy is wonderful. For stuff similar to Magic Circle, check out the fellow Americans doomsters Crypt Sermon. Their debut will be released near the end of the month by Dark Descent and it fucking rocks.

Borrowed Time and Dawnbringer are two great recs for sure, might as well check out High Spirits as well, another Chris Black project rooted in hard rock and heavy metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:08 pm 

Thank you both of you! I'm going to check all those bands out when I have spare time. I found out of Brendan Radigan's projects and fell in love with both Stonedagger and Magic Circle.
Also, quite like the demo song of Magister Templi's ''Lucifer'', which originally sounded very good. Then they re-recorded it for their album, making the sound quality much better and changing the song slightly, but it sounds quite much more boring now.

I'm quite tired, not sure if I make any sense

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:11 pm 

I was thinking more about this, because I'm a dork, and I was curious how deep your collection runs as far as ACTUAL old school heavy metal. Not to question you, I just know it took me awhile to get up on some of the lesser-appreciated scenes, specifically the Swedes and the French.

If you haven't heard Gotham City's The Unknown you're going to want to fix that as soon as possible. They put out their first single in 1982 and it was already more fully developed than a lot of what was happening in the US or nwobhm scene. The b-side Killer Angels is one of my favorite tunes of theirs, despite the completely bored-sounding vocalist. These guys were very versatile and had a natural flair for weaving interesting twists into their songs, as well as a great ear for melody. If you don't mind a terrible vocalist I'd recommend checking out their EP Black Writs as well. Monsters of Rock, Black Writs, and Born to Rock Hard (yes, two songs with "rock" in the title and they both kick fucking ass...weird) are the standouts for me. The vocalist is a total wet napkin but the stuff happening around him is so good I don't care.

French stuff...are you up on Sortilege? I would strongly encourage you to look into their s/t EP if you haven't heard it. Very "classy" heavy metal but not without an edge. Their Metamorphose album is supposed to be even better but I've yet to find a copy I can afford. Larmes de heros is a great record as well, although they dial up the classiness and back the "edge" just a bit. I can listen to the EP endlessly though. And I am, today.

Don't sleep on the other two "big" french bands, High Power and Blaspheme. Blaspheme are a little more upbeat sounding (at least on the debut which is all I've heard) with a huge plucky bass tone running all over everything. High Power on their debut full-length pulled one of my favorite guitar tones, so damn crunchy. They're a bit more muscular than the other two, although they stretch their black wings for Satan on the track "Offrande Charnelle" which is one of the greatest heavy metal tunes ever recorded.

Hopefully some of this will be new to you, otherwise...fuck it, just a chance to dote on some favorites.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:38 pm 

Seconding nearly all of Jonpo's recs (I'd skip Helvetets Port, but the rest are quality recs).

For another good modern band with an old school sound, check out Zuul. Both albums are solid, but the second is superior IMO.

Then, while Gotham City is a great place to start going into the Swedish scene, the gems that can be found sure as hell don't end there.

Jonah Quizz for instance is absolutely killer. Swedish lyrics done right. And that's a damn hard one to pull off with any semblance of not being completely cringe-inducing.

There's also a Swedish band called Six Feet Under from the 80's that's actually really good (as opposed to the American shitty death metal band) melodic old school heavy metal.

Tons of forgotten gems in this scene. Tons.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:03 pm 

I just cannot get into Zuul. I have To the Frontlines or whatever the second one is called. I bought it because it was cheap and the cover art reminds me of Battle Cry. I don't know, it just feels very....flat to me. The very first song has a chorus that will bore into your skull but I'm not even sure it's in a way that I enjoy, I just find it coming to the surface a lot. I've tried to listen to it maybe 6 times since buying it last year and never made it through the full runtime. I bet they're more fun live, but the record just doesn't move me at all.

I do forget about Jonah Quizz for some reason. They've got some jams. And thank fucking christ for the lyrics being in Swedish, I do not want to hear that anti-marijuana song in English hahah.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:20 pm 

Really? Flat? To me, that's everything that record isn't.

Not sure I'd like to hear *any* Jonah Quizz lyrics in english actually. They're Swedish lyrics. Swedish is different enough from English that you can't write lyrics using the same approach. It's just going to turn laughably bad if you do. The "anti-pot song" (Förstör Inte Ditt Liv/Don't Ruin Your Life) has a translation here on MA and it looks awful.

Quote:
In school all the teachers said
That boy is no good
He didn't care about what people said
But I knew he was alright

Nobody ever gave him a chance
Not even himself, he was all strung out on pot

Chorus:
Don't ruin your life
You're a human like everyone else
Don't ruin your time
Just live your life
Don't ruin your life
You're a human like everyone else
Don't ruin your time

You had a good thing going, you had talent
You were a god on your guitar
You could have been somebody
If you only ever gave yourself a chance

You can't lie on your back
Smoking pot every day
You need to get out and find yourself

But in Swedish the same lyrics work. Same for all Jonah Quizz songs. Even the best one, Hjärtlös Stad/Heartless City, loses it's magic in English. And it doesn't even turn into complete bullcrap like the rest.

Quote:
Your eyes look towards the sky
like a child seeking its mother
The Universe used to put your mind at ease
Yet you find no peace

Your heart is bleeding, your mind is screaming
Everything is spinning
Your questions need answers
Oh where are they to be found...

Chorus:
We're living in a heartless city
Allowed to think but not offend
We're living in a heartless city
This cold castle keeps you in place

Your life a parody on good and evil
You're longing for the love you never got
You must, you want to find your place

You talk, you hate, work and toil
hoping to find the meaning of life

Repeat Chorus / Bridge:
A day will come when it all explodes
A day will come when it all will change

The problem is usually the other way around though. One of the main reasons that so many Swedish lyrics suck is that they aren't really Swedish lyrics. They're English lyrics written in Swedish, which invariably turns into complete bullcrap.

But then again, Aria lyrics probably don't work too well in English either. Good lyricists use the language to their advantage. It follows that good lyrics don't translate well into other languages.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:53 pm 

Heartless City was always my favorite from the comp, glad to know I was on point with that! I have a hard time putting my finger on exactly what it is, but they sound different to me. It almost seems like they created their music in a vacuum. From what I remember it's really moody and less based on dual lead pyrotechnics, gallops (Hello Heartless City!), and the usual nwobhm-influenced stuff. (Stuff I fucking love, for the record)

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:55 pm 

Fuck! Didn't expect such a response and so many bands to check out!!! Awesome!

I must say that I'm a complete uncultured moron when it comes to Heavy/nwobhm, but lately I just have this crave.
But putting (a bit only) nwobhm apart, I'd like to find some more doomy bands, that are not th obvious ones.

I was more focused on the 'extreme' side of metal until now, and I had a doom period (thus my love to Magic Circle) but never really payed attention to it as much as to death/black. So I know the classics, but not more.

But anyway, I like this, keep going, and if you could focus a bit on doomier bands, that would be awesome.

Btw, listened to ZUUL, and although I don't perceive it as 'flat', it doesn't wake any emotion in me, to be honest.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:56 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
It almost seems like they created their music in a vacuum.

This is exactly what I like about the Swedish heavy metal scene. It sounds like the music was made in a complete vacuum. And in many ways it was. Not many record stores imported heavy metal into Sweden in the early 80s. Like, imagine you were in Gotham City. You're starting out as a high school band based in Umeå, which is not exactly a metropolis. It's also pretty remote considering it's way up in the north of the country, where not that many people live compared to the south. When Gotham City started out in 1980, chances are nobody else in the area was playing heavy metal. When Axe Witch started out in Linköping, I've heard (from meeting and talking a bit with their singer) that it was the same deal. The reason the earliest Swedish heavy metal sounds like it was recorded in a vacuum is because that was exactly how it was. That's also what's given it some of it's unique and charming qualities that I'm having trouble finding anywhere else.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:14 pm 

I knew they probably weren't keyed in on a lot of acts, but I guess it's hard for me to imagine a time where everyone wasn't aware of Diamond Head/Iron Maiden/Angel Witch. That's the reality of it though, for some areas/bands. I'm glad it went down that way, as it led to a really creative/unique act in Gotham City. I've still never heard Axe Witch in my life. Which is stupid, because I love amateurish cover art.

boduus wrote:
But anyway, I like this, keep going, and if you could focus a bit on doomier bands, that would be awesome.

Listen to Desolation Angels.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:11 pm 

New demo song from Armory, Swedish old school speed metal.
Quite an improvement from the last demo, this band might be on the path to greatness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJpcvW4M7w

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 pm 

Opus wrote:
Quite an improvement from the last demo, this band might be on the path to greatness.

This sounds awesome, will definitely keep my eye on them.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:00 pm 

boduus wrote:
But putting (a bit only) nwobhm apart, I'd like to find some more doomy bands, that are not th obvious ones.

Assuming you know about Pagan Altar and Witchfinder General, but if you don't check out Pagan Altar's Judgment of the Dead, and Witchfinder General's Death Penalty and Friends of Hell.

Less obvious would be Legend from Jersey. Their self titled debut is quite doomy without really being wholly doom. It's really their only release I'd call doomy though. Even though this is really their only release I like, I highly recommend the two disc Anthology covering all of their 80s works (two full lengths, an EP, and a previously unreleased demo), as it's the easiest way to get a hold of any of their 80s releases. And even though I don't really like it, their second album, Death in the Nursery, seems to be more popular than the s/t among fans (no doom left, though).

Legend - Buried Alive
Legend - Hiroshima
Legend - Taste of Life

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:56 am 

Is Germany's Heavens Gate active? Their MA profile lists their status as active, but nothing else on their profile has any indication they are active. What's the deal?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:58 am 

Opus wrote:

I didn't think much of this until it got to the falsettos, which are ridiculous in the best way. Diggin' it.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:10 pm 

Could anybody recommend anything similar to Battle Beast to me? Their music is pretty upbeat and catchy as 80's hard rock. They have got those cheesy keyboards and tempos of the songs are not only double-kick drum filled but sometimes really 80's hard rock inspired however with strong modern sound. I do not even hate those female vocals because their vocalists sings like she has got a pair :). She sings like US power metal singers! I love their second album and recent one, too. Their debut was not as good in my opinion.
So basically I am searching for something what is fun to listen to from the first spin (no originality wanted) with strong vocals. What I liked recently and would come to the same category tagged as fun-to-listen-instantly music with very good vocals would be "Jorn Lande & Trond Holter - Dracula: Swing of Death", "Arion - Last of Us" and "Victorious - Dreamchaser".
Any ideas, please?

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Is Germany's Heavens Gate active? Their MA profile lists their status as active, but nothing else on their profile has any indication they are active. What's the deal?

I guess others are wondering the same thing...

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/508619

Like your reviews?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:24 am 

mjollnir wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

I guess others are wondering the same thing...

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/508619

Huh... thanks for that!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469 ... 625  Next