Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:56 pm 

I agree. This very thread made me listen to Dark Hallucinations and Messiah last night. Both are incredible albums. I may listen to Book of the Dead (my favorite) later tonight. If this new album they are doing is in true Steel Prophet style I'll be quite happy.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:00 pm 

The only other album I heard prior to this was Beware, which was OK, but had a lot more cock rock/modern power metal stylings to it, from what I remember. It still had the Maidenesque riffing and harmonies, but I don't remember being quite as entranced by it as I am by this album.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The only other album I heard prior to this was Beware, which was OK, but had a lot more cock rock/modern power metal stylings to it, from what I remember. It still had the Maidenesque riffing and harmonies, but I don't remember being quite as entranced by it as I am by this album.

They may have sounded that way because of Nadir D'Priest who was a hair metal cock rock vocalist in the 80s.

Like your reviews?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

The albums after DH started sounding more like Euro-power metal at the time, and were not as good IMHO.

I think you would enjoy the albums before DH more than the ones after. I would go to "Into the Void" next.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:23 am 

The release date for Cauldron Born--Sword and Sorcery Heavy Metal has been changed to June 30. I just got a message from Alexis at Iron On Iron Records and he said he is shipping my CDs over (from Greece) to me on Monday (June 23). I will make an announcement here when I have them in hand.

Howie

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:29 am 

Can't wait man! I'll definitely be grabbing one as soon as they're available.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 am 

Thanks Jophelerx! I appreciate the support. A lot of you guys who follow this thread have been great about that! This is one of the main reasons that I keep trying to do this.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:36 pm 

Wow, I wasn't aware new Cauldron Born material is coming out. I'm excited to hear that, I'll have to pick up a CD too!

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:42 pm 

Put me down for a copy. You can do no wrong musically in my book.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

Mysticaloldbard and rawsewage, will do! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:33 pm 

As usual - if Cauldron Born releases something I will get it. You can do NO wrong in my book. I'll be wearing my CB shirt proudly.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:55 pm 

There´s a concert coming up in my country with Omen and Manilla Road. I´ve only heard a couple songs from Crystal Logic, but that´s about it. Considering their recent setlists, do you guys think it´s a worthy show to go to?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:43 pm 

^ Well, they have a pretty weird catalog, Crystal Logic is different from a lot of their albums, it's a little less harsh vocally and instrument-wise, most of them are somewhat chaotic (In a good sense). I actually haven't heard/seen them live, so I can't help you there, but I'm positive It'll be fun.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:48 pm 

You guys down in South America are lucky Manilla Road are touring! I've never seen them live but I really want to; needless to say I'm jealous. I'm not sure how Omen sounds these days (I haven't even heard any of their albums after The Curse. I will sooner or later!), but look at it this way: both bands are getting up there in age and who's to say how many years of touring are left in them? I'd see them while I still can. You didn't mention if you know Omen or not, but I'd go even if you're not too familiar with Manilla Road. I'm sure you'll have a blast. I haven't met a fan of old heavy metal who doesn't liked Manilla Road. And like Aydross says, their discography is a little eclectic. However, I'm sure their setlist will mainly consist of the classics, which will be a lot of epic heavy metal and thrashy stuff. Expect a couple new songs too, of course, which are all good in my book. The last couple of albums have been in the style of their older mid-to-late 80s albums anyway.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:25 am 

Same situation with Omen, i've only heard a couple old songs from them. But yeah, i've got nothing to lose, tickets are cheap and venue is close to my home.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:49 am 

metroplex wrote:
There´s a concert coming up in my country with Omen and Manilla Road. I´ve only heard a couple songs from Crystal Logic, but that´s about it. Considering their recent setlists, do you guys think it´s a worthy show to go to?

Omen aren't so good these days, but I've seen Manilla Road twice in the past two years, and both times they were amazing. Huge setlist spanning their entire career, excellent performances, etc. It's especially funny to see how much of an incorrigible showoff Shelton still is on the guitar, playing behind his head and such. Definitely worth seeing, especially if it's cheap and convenient.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:11 pm 

Omen setlist

Death Rider
Dragon's Breath
Ruby Eyes (of the Serpent)
1000 Years Reign
Last Rites
Warning of Danger
Be My Wench
Don't Fear the Night
In the Arena
Termination
Battle Cry
Teeth of the Hydra
Encore:
Die by the Blade

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:40 am 

I'd kill to see Omen and Manilla Road, that's an epic show. I've seen MR, they're great live. Dunno about Omen, especially without Kimball, but I'd risk it.

Anybody else think Tarot are one of the best contemporary Europower bands? I really dig their rerecording of The Spell of Iron too. Hard to believe the close tie with Nightwish.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Last edited by Nahsil on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Earthridden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:19 am 

No "The Axeman"? Madness!
It was far easier losing my memory.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:23 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Anybody else think Tarot are one of the best contemporary Europower bands? I really dig their rerecording of The Spell of Iron too. Hard to believe the close tie with Nightwish.

I don't think it's hard to believe; Nightwish were a talented band back in the day. Tarot is just a different style. Suffer Our Pleasures is one motherfucker of an album though, love it. I thought the Spell of Iron rerecording was just okay, but their albums are all at least solid. I hope the next one has a better production job than the mess they did to Gravity of Light.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:03 am 

I love Tarot to death and I think their albums range from really solid to freakin' awesome (Suffer Our Pleasures, the original Spell Of Iron). Very consistent songwriters - at least in terms of quality of their songs. However I would never say their style is europower. Tarot is too riffy and, for a lack of a better word, powerful to be an europower band.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:49 pm 

Tarot has always been on some next level shit. Their only misstep is making Marco share vocals with that Ozzy sounding keyboard player. What the fuck is that? Marco is a monster and really sets them apart from other groups. There's no reason he should be stepping aside.

Arcticsin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:28 pm 

Anyone know any bands similar to Spira? They're a pretty unknown band, not even on the metal archives. I only found them through Bandcamp. They only have one concept album, "The Journey" and it's a very strange album. It's one of the very few bands I would consider "Avant-Garde Power Metal" Since it's a mix of Power,Progressive, and Symphonic metal with Hard rock, Psychedelic Rock, some Ambient, etc. The band put the album for free on their bandcamp.

http://spiraband.bandcamp.com/album/the-journey

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:49 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Tarot has always been on some next level shit. Their only misstep is making Marco share vocals with that Ozzy sounding keyboard player. What the fuck is that? Marco is a monster and really sets them apart from other groups. There's no reason he should be stepping aside.

Is he supposed to be stepping aside and only playing bass? I cannot imagine Tarot without Marco's vocals. It would lose half of its charm to me.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 pm 

No, he shared vocals on the last studio album. It was distracting and kinda sucked. I wanna hear Marco. Not the other guy.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 pm 

Exigence wrote:
No, he shared vocals on the last studio album. It was distracting and kinda sucked. I wanna hear Marco. Not the other guy.

I only vaguely remember the last studio album. I need to re-listen to that. I do not mind some vocal variety but Marco should be at the helm of it all. He is an awesome vocalist. His vocals on "Suffer Our Pleasures" totally rule.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:52 pm 

eh, might check out this tarot band...where to start?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 pm 

Aydross wrote:

The best albums, in my opinion, are the original Spell of Iron, Follow Me Into Madness, then To Live Forever...actually, aside from maybe the 2011 version of Spell of Iron, you can't go wrong no matter which album you pick up. But whatever you get, Spell of Iron (1986) and Suffer Our Pleasures are absolutely mandatory.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 pm 

While all their stuff is good, Suffer Our Pleasures is the only mandatory one really. All the other albums are pretty much the same thing but not quiiiiiite as good. They're all very much worth hearing after you get done marveling over SOP though. Great, unique metal.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:35 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Aydross wrote:

The best albums, in my opinion, are the original Spell of Iron, Follow Me Into Madness, then To Live Forever...actually, aside from maybe the 2011 version of Spell of Iron, you can't go wrong no matter which album you pick up. But whatever you get, Spell of Iron (1986) and Suffer Our Pleasures are absolutely mandatory.

This. Go with the original version of Spell Of Iron, a heavy metal classic. And also - Suffer Our Pleasures - a more modern take on classic metal and an AWESOME album. And I would also go forward with For The Glory Of Nothing - a more progressive take on their sound. Plus an mind-melting song in "Warhead".

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:26 am 

Yeah basically when I call em Europower I just mean they're from Europe and play power metal, lol. It's probably closer to American veins than the Helloween/Strato/etc vein.

Suffer Our Pleasures has one of my favorite corny metal lines: "My soul was never sold, I gave it away for free"

edit: I actually hadn't heard the original Spell of Iron, listening now. I like it! It's different, but I'd say I like them both.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:07 am 

Nahsil: Yeah I figured as much. I still would not call them Europower simply because that name denotes a certain style - the Strato/Helloween/Hammerfall vein of power metal (which in my mind should not be called power metal but that is another story).

As for Suffer Our Pleasures has tons of awesome lines: "All gods breed, all gods die, all gods will pay!" is probably my favourite.

The original Spell Of Iron is classic heavy metal to the bone. Great stuff with songs like the title track or Wings Of Darkness.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:05 am 

Can anyone get through this without laughing?

Oh Cage, memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:09 am 

I keep meaning to go back to Darker than Black, an album I used to find really fun, but I dunno. I think Cage was one of those bands who I've just grown out of.

Also I'd say Tarot is just a really eccentric traditional metal band. I don't hear much power metal in them at all. They're more Sabbath and Dio influenced than anything really PM.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:35 am 

Tarot, for some reason, remind of Martin-era Sabbath. I get the same majestic yet eerie vibe from their songs.

As for Cage - I like their music and Darker Than Black is a good album of Priest-isms but some of their later output had TERRIBLE production (Supremacy Of Steel I am looking at you...) and too many songs per album. In small doses I still like them and I think Sean Peck is a beast!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Also I'd say Tarot is just a really eccentric traditional metal band.

Eccentric traditional metal is a good descriptor! I was going to say progressive trad metal, but it isn't really progressive either. Some bits remind me of early Tad Morose, with the atmospheric keyboards and often mid tempo songs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:04 pm 

Darker than Black is pretty cool so far, haven't heard this fucker in like 7 years or something - jeez. It's pretty OTT and ridiculous, but the riffs are kick ass and the choruses ("Chupacabra" especially) can be great at times. Maybe a 75-80% album.

Opus, hmm, haven't heard pre-Urban Tad Morose much (maybe a song or two). Tarot always sounded to me like Dio Sabbath run through a Finnish filter, with some typically weird instrumentation at times. "Rider of the Last Day" packs some serious old school doom to its riffs.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Tarot always sounded to me like Dio Sabbath run through a Finnish filter, with some typically weird instrumentation at times.

Alright, you gotta tell me which album sounds most like Dio-Sabbath to you. Keep in mind I love Heaven and Hell (album), Mob Rules, Dehumanizer, and the three new tracks from The Dio Years, but I'm not so keen on The Devil You Know.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:26 pm 

The Devil You Know had one or two tracks I didn't like as much, but overall it's pretty amazing. Bible Black and Follow the Tears in particular are fucking classics.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:59 pm 

TDYK is better than Dehumanizer to me. Pretty much Tarot's general sound is hard to pin down; they don't sound like any band. But the midranged raspy vocals and the hard rocking riffs are sorta reminiscent of Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules, if you squint - they really have a unique sound though. I guess the best way to describe Tarot is, they take metal's foundation and just put their own spin on it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446 ... 624  Next