Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:43 pm 

Can somebody here recommend me something similar to Battle Beast's latest album. Like, super fun power metal, a great/modern production, etc.

deadweight2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:57 am 

Aydross, how about Elvenstorm's Of Rage and War? Does that count as similar? Did you like that one? I also really liked Scelerata's The Sniper -- not sure if that is similar or not.

If you want cheesy and bombastic, Powerwolf or Sabaton?

Further back in time, I really enjoyed White Skull's Public Glory, Secret Agony and Salamandra's Faces of Chimera. But these recs might be useless -- I don't know whether these would count as similar to Battle Beast in any way... I'm not very good at what's "similar". Apologies if these aren't the kind of thing you're looking for.

(There's lots of other great power metal out there but you might need to narrow down what you're looking for.)

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:21 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Man, recently got Antiquus' In the Land of the Blind back - what a great fucking album. The rapping on the first track is so strange and outlandish, but I like it, sounds really bad ass. The guitars are just pure metallic bliss too...I really hope we don't have to wait too much longer for a follow up. Eleutheria was probably a bit better, more underground-feeling, but this one is just a powerhouse of intense riffing and lead guitars.

Yeah, I don't even mind the rapping on the first track. That album simply kills. I should review it one of these days.

The lyrics are pretty fucking cool, too. It's hard to do historical lyrics that really make the subject feel fresh and alive - having the songs all sung in the first-person is really cool and works really well.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 am 

Aydross wrote:
Can somebody here recommend me something similar to Battle Beast's latest album. Like, super fun power metal, a great/modern production, etc.

I see what you are looking for as I am also interested in similar thing. :)
I think that Scelerata's album called Sniper is a good rec from deadweight2.
First album which came in my mind was Victorius - Dreamchaser.
You should definitely check out these albums too:
Arion - Last Of Us
Twilight Force - Tales Of Ancient Prophecies
Bloodbound - Stormborn
Nanowar of Steel - A Knight at the Opera

And have you already heard the second album from Battle Beast? Really catchy stuff there.
And I have almost forgotten about the most fun album ever recorded Timeless Miracle - Into The Enchanted Chamber. I mean it.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:07 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
Nanowar of Steel - A Knight at the Opera

You can't be serious.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm 

I've been digging Siegfried (the Japanese one) a lot lately. Too old to post in that "latest metal discovery" thread, so I'll post it here.

A bit on the raw side, but I preferred this performance to the other one on youtube (I'll take a wall of noise over something thin and distant any day). One of their faster songs and one of my favorites by them. I would've liked to link "Born to Die" (my fave of theirs), but its not on youtube.

These two have better sound quality. "The End of Eternity" isn't on their full-length though *grumble*.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:28 pm 

@deadweight2 thank for your recommendations. I'll try some of the bands you mentioned that I haven't heard. I've obviously heard of Powerwolf and Sabaton, and consider those two bands to be really fun and matching the criteria of what I was looking for, unfortunately I am already familiar with them. But yeah, you were pretty much right, as I was looking for fun, heavy, modern and dumb power metal.
@mudrnudl thanks I'll check those. I already have Timeless Miracle's debut tatooed on my brain, which is sad. Wait, Nanowar? Seriously? :-P

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 am 

A band that surprised me a lot : Veonity

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Man, recently got Antiquus' In the Land of the Blind back - what a great fucking album. The rapping on the first track is so strange and outlandish, but I like it, sounds really bad ass. The guitars are just pure metallic bliss too...I really hope we don't have to wait too much longer for a follow up. Eleutheria was probably a bit better, more underground-feeling, but this one is just a powerhouse of intense riffing and lead guitars.

I don't really like the band but to their credit, they're the only metal band (to my knowledge) that have written a song about The Battle of Eylau. Probably one of the the most violent, brutal and forgotten bits of military history. Totally ripe for metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:09 pm 

They've always had interesting lyrics. I wish the ones for ITLOTB were online somewhere, because I can't make out all of them - but I dig American political history stuff and I like what I can make out.

What don't you like about them?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm 

ITLOTB isn't as good as Eleutheria, but it's still very good and has one of the most unusual concepts for a metal album - presidential assassins (successful and unsuccessful). I don't even know how or why Antiquus decided on it, but hell, it makes for cool music. It's both way way more complex and less immediate than earlier material, but it lacks the spark that made Eleutheria a classic, I think. Still, it's interesting to hear how much the band changes with each album while still keeping to the same general style, and given that they haven't yet released anything less than awesome, I can't wait to hear what they'll do next.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:47 pm 

Aydross wrote:
@mudrnudl thanks I'll check those. I already have Timeless Miracle's debut tatooed on my brain, which is sad. Wait, Nanowar? Seriously? :-P

Well there is going to be a successor for that debut of Timeless Miracle soon :).
And I am serious about Nanowar. I don't mind people hating it.
For example this song is fun to listen to and it is funny as well (to me):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ES4tw6AtBzg
And that latest album has good production, too.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:17 pm 

Looking for albums similar to "The Black Flame" (Wolf). Fun, cheesy and epic heavy metal preferably with a booming production.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
Looking for albums similar to "The Black Flame" (Wolf). Fun, cheesy and epic heavy metal preferably with a booming production.

Ambush - Natural Born Killers (2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5V0VbBgkbU

As for Antiquus...I don't know, just sounds trebly and low budget. I guess they are getting better but their singer has these really aggravating inflections. Like many bands, they don't have enough cool parts to outweigh their cringe-inducing parts.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 pm 

Rainbow wrote:
As for Antiquus...I don't know, just sounds trebly and low budget.

lol, how long have you been listening to metal? Do you only listen to super popular European bands or what?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:37 am 

Yeah it seems like there's a lot of people who see Antiquus as unpolished or whatever - I just don't see how that's a bad thing, and it's really only because of the production value on Eleutheria, which sounds jangly and underground-ish and not very polished - and really not even THAT bad or even close. But the music was always professional to the core.

What really seals Eleutheria as so great is the two epic tracks "I am Alive" and "Leaves of Grass"...I've never heard anything else like these, not really, though there are tangential similarities maybe to old Fates Warning. Huge, narrative heavy metal that takes storytelling in music to a new extreme, and it's just really well done.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:31 am 

I'd say for 'huge, narrative heavy metal' I drift towards something like Judicator. Subdued and eloquent at times and then punchy and powerful when it needs to be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:09 pm 

This is pretty decent, and sounds heavier and more American than I thought it would - actually has some voice overs and acoustic parts like Antiquus do too, which is interesting. But it's different from the style Antiquus are going for - I'm talking about stuff like Hanker, Helstar, old Fates Warning, Manilla Road, Slough Feg. Weird, offbeat, low-fi heavy metal circa mid-80s or so. That's the kind of heavy metal I'd call on par with Antiquus and the style I'd be looking for when making posts like the above and why I like Antiquus so much.

This isn't bad though, band definitely has potential to be great someday. Sounds a bit like Pharaoh, albeit not as good. But I like the passion and what not.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:23 am 

Empyreal wrote:
What really seals Eleutheria as so great is the two epic tracks "I am Alive" and "Leaves of Grass"...I've never heard anything else like these, not really, though there are tangential similarities maybe to old Fates Warning. Huge, narrative heavy metal that takes storytelling in music to a new extreme, and it's just really well done.

Actually, I'd say my favorite of that conceptual 6-song cycle is Meta Incognita. Yeah, it's an instrumental interlude, but it's an exceedingly beautiful one that just fits in perfectly and really builds the atmosphere leading into Redemption. Really, they're all great, though, especially the spoken-word-morphing-into-song part towards the end of I Am Alive, with the acoustic guitars playing a variant of the main riff while Jesse White really gets into character and then the lead guitar comes in on top of the whole thing. Amazing stuff.

The production on Eleutheria is pretty raw and jagged and the rhythm guitar is muddy at times, but on the grand scale of production values it's certainly not that bad. It wouldn't work if they were trying to be a really tight, technical band, but they're not - it's loose and even a bit sloppy at times, in the way many classic USPM albums are, and it fits the aesthetic perfectly. I find it particularly impressive that with the much more technical and precise guitarist they had on ITLOTB, they successfully managed to change the aesthetics and songwriting approach to match. That shows some real mastery of the style there, I think.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:33 pm 

Rocka Rollas new track! Gone is the Running Wild/Riot/NWOTHB thing... Let's rip off Blind Guardian instead! :-D

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:52 pm 

Ehh, this sounds uncomfortably like "The Bard's Song - The Hobbit." The idea of BG worship is something that's pretty cool to me, but if it's going to be this similar I'd really rather just listen to BG. If you could develop your sound and keep to the same style, though, it could be something cool. I'd like to have more good BG worship since the only album in that vein I currently like is Persuader's 'The Hunter.'

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:14 pm 

Seriously, I've never really listened to The Hobbit, I never liked Bards Song at all. Especially not the "metal version". Heard it once or twice, but I always skip it when I listen to Somewhere Far Beyond. :lol:

But I do love the other similar songs like A Past And Future Secret, Skalds And Shadows, Lord Of The Rings etc etc.

(I just checked out The Hobbit again to remind me and you're kinda right, the drum patterns and stuff are kinda similar. Still don't like it at all... :( )

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:59 am 

Holy shit, Sacral Rage were good before but their latest album sounds like the second coming of Helstar's Nosferatu, "Lost Chapter E.: Sutratma" especially - with John Cyriis on vocals! This shit is fucking blowing me away right now.

https://cruzdelsurmusic.bandcamp.com/al ... inite-void

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:07 pm 

Any news on Eternal Champion? They were really promising a while ago, but as far as I can see they've barely had any output since then. Surely there's a debut in the works?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:17 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Any news on Eternal Champion? They were really promising a while ago, but as far as I can see they've barely had any output since then. Surely there's a debut in the works?

They released a split with Gatekeeper like 4 days ago, I know 2 great sites where you can discover this kind of information! One is called Facebook and the other Metal Archives. :) I'm sure they have a full length coming, just give them a bit more time, I'm sure it will be fucking good.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:35 pm 

If they release an album that's as solid as Edge At The End, it would easily be one of my most-played in a long while.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:03 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Holy shit, Sacral Rage

I too was about to post about Sacral Rage, but wasn't sure in which thread. It's like the second coming of Watchtower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9zV0_AOXV8

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:17 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Holy shit, Sacral Rage were good before but their latest album sounds like the second coming of Helstar's Nosferatu, "Lost Chapter E.: Sutratma" especially - with John Cyriis on vocals! This shit is fucking blowing me away right now.

https://cruzdelsurmusic.bandcamp.com/al ... inite-void

The previous EP didn't leave much of an impression on me but this... this is really fucking great metal.

Good call on Helstar. Reminds me a bit of Crimson Glory as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:27 pm 

Woah, yeah, this is good. Never heard their older stuff, and I admit my first response was "the production is a bit too polished for this sort of metal," but the songwriting really sucked me in. I like that it doesn't just rely on a shout-along chorus like a lot of these other retro bands do...instead they created memorable, interesting guitar dialogues with lots of leads and riffs. Vocals sound good too.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:00 pm 

This Evil Invaders is fantastic!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:42 am 

I don't see how they can simultaneously be the second coming of HELSTAR and WATCHTOWER.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:57 am 

Ballistic fans should check out the new Viking album. Some good thrash, the vocals are veeery similar to Tom Gattis.

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I don't see how they can simultaneously be the second coming of HELSTAR and WATCHTOWER.

I was wondering about this too hahah.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Last edited by Nahsil on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:02 pm 

Question for the Helloween fans here: Is the 2010 Deluxe Edition of the two Keeper albums remastered again after the 2006 remasters? Are they the same remaster? Which one sounds better?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:16 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

The answer of course is that they're not. ;) Superficially Sacral Rage do resemble Watchtower in some ways but they clearly took direct influence from Helstar's later 80s albums, Nosferatu in particular. The riff patterns and techniques are very similar, although with more of a modern sound (not really in a bad way, though). It's not enough for me to label them as a worship band, they put enough of their own spin on things to be distinctive, but it's basically the closest thing I've heard to that era of Helstar aside from Helstar themselves.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:53 pm 

New Sacral Rage seems cool - I only had a chance to give it a cursory listen so far, though, as I've been busy as hell lately. Definitely seems an improvement over the EP, which as my review indicates was solid but not really great. Vocals obviously rule.

On another note, I've listened to Holocaust's 'Covenant' pretty frequently lately - not that I hadn't heard it much in the past, but it's just been resonating with me super hard. Failsafeman obviously knows how great this album is - as well as 'Hypnosis of Birds,' though I prefer 'Covenant' by a fair bit - but it seems progressive-era Holocaust is sorely, sorely overlooked. Quite frankly, 'Covenant' hits me at a level of emotion that transcends almost everything else I've ever heard, and there's not really a bad moment to be found. The mood varies vastly yet it remains on a plane utterly unparalleled; I would probably have to give it a 99% or possibly even 100% (though more likely the former) if I were to review it, which I may do at some point. Anyone who hasn't heard it needs to do so NOW. I'll provide a sample to get you guys started, but the album demands to be heard in its full majesty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwkh7JIog8I

Oh damn, it seems someone uploaded the full album to YouTube! You guys really don't have any fucking excuse now. Get on that shit.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 pm 

Rush and Arch Fates Warning back to back works disturbingly well.

What Rush albums do you guys think are the heaviest? Same with Van Halen? Just because...

Both have always been some of my favorites when it comes to some radio friendly tracks and mainstream appeal, but Rush is definitely legit and Van Halen definitely has some shreds of metal in them. They've always felt like the closest thing to stuff we talk about in this thread and such, I can only imagine how much Rush influenced things.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:51 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Ballistic fans should check out the new Viking album. Some good thrash, the vocals are veeery similar to Tom Gattis.

I can see that although I had never really compared the two in my band. Both bands are great. Can't wait until that new VIKING CD comes in the mail.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Rush and Arch Fates Warning back to back works disturbingly well.

What Rush albums do you guys think are the heaviest? Same with Van Halen? Just because...

Both have always been some of my favorites when it comes to some radio friendly tracks and mainstream appeal, but Rush is definitely legit and Van Halen definitely has some shreds of metal in them. They've always felt like the closest thing to stuff we talk about in this thread and such, I can only imagine how much Rush influenced things.

A Farewell to Kings has the title track, "Xanadu" and "Cygnus," which are all pretty riffy 70s-style rock with the kind of dynamic and epic style that metal bands would take up in the 80s. And "Jacob's Ladder" off of Permanent Waves is a really heavy, introspective sort of song. "Hemispheres" is basically a prog metal epic before prog metal was a real thing. And Clockwork Angels is very heavy for their standards and is probably one of their most metal.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:01 pm 

Don't forget the first couple of tracks off of 2112, and some of their earlier tracks like "Working Man" too. That opening riff is heavy as fuck.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:57 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Holy shit, Sacral Rage

Dude those piercing falsetto highs. Great arrangements, too.

haha .. i love this thread.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473 ... 624  Next