Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:28 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
First two Rocka Rollas tracks with me singing :-D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygt1RpYE38g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12GEPAcDT8E
The new album should be released in late summer/fall this year!

We also got an honorable guest appearance by Janne Stark from Overdrive :headbang:

Wow. This is unreal man. Earlier RR stuff is solid, but from what I've heard from the new album this is potential AOTY material. Riding Wild in particular is an addicting track; Port Royal meets Walls of Jericho. I'm loving these two tracks as well.

Blazon Stone's debut was absolutely amazing too. Keep it up man!

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 pm 

Just reporting in to say Derdian's new album is pretty darn awesome as usual. :headbang:

Tomorrow it's Crystal Eyes' turn!

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:49 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Just reporting in to say Derdian's new album is pretty darn awesome as usual. :headbang:

Tomorrow it's Crystal Eyes' turn!

Human Reset is pretty good. I've only listened to it 3 times so far so I think it still has some growing to do, but I'm not sure if I'll end up liking it more than Limbo. Limbo has some amazing songs on it.

With that said however, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Joe Caggianelli on vocals. New Era Pt. 2 is still my favourite album of theirs.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:44 pm 

Xileize wrote:
Has anyone here listened to Charn? Just wondered what you guys thought of their only album. It's certainly a weird one. I've been listened to it the past week and it has certainly grown on me a lot in its own weird way.

That was pretty rad man, hadn't heard of it before. A generic-looking power/speed album from Germany in '94 isn't really gonna catch my attention, but I'm gonna check out the rest of the album, hopefully it's up to par with that song.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:41 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
That was pretty rad man, hadn't heard of it before. A generic-looking power/speed album from Germany in '94 isn't really gonna catch my attention, but I'm gonna check out the rest of the album, hopefully it's up to par with that song.

The frontman is Harris Johns, the producer of Helloween's Walls of Jericho, some Sodom and Voivod albums and hundreds of others.

Blasts Off is a concept album and because of that it's unfortunately marred by lots of small interlude songs, which I'm not a huge fan of. Ignoring those though, it still has a good 10 or so actual songs on it, and they're all pretty good.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm 

And Crystal Eyes' new album lives up to its name as well! They're not quite so wonderfully catchy and upbeat as they were in the early days, but that's not worth getting hung up over, it's still fun and catchy stuff. They're definitely going for a more retro sound these days, but nothing quite as far as their crystal namesakes Crystallion's album of the same name! :lol:

Xileize wrote:
Human Reset is pretty good. I've only listened to it 3 times so far so I think it still has some growing to do, but I'm not sure if I'll end up liking it more than Limbo. Limbo has some amazing songs on it.

With that said however, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Joe Caggianelli on vocals. New Era Pt. 2 is still my favourite album of theirs.

Limbo was definitely a great album. I think Human Reset is a little more of a grower rather than immediately hitting, but for me there wasn't that much difference. My picks are the title track, Absolute Power, and one of the last three (full-length) tracks (I can't remember which one), at least for now!

I definitely miss him too, but I don't think they've done too badly out of it at all all told. And hey, it makes the New Era saga sound especially distinctive!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 pm 

Glad to hear the new Crystal Eyes is good. Chained was solid as hell. I'm gonna miss the Chained vocalist though...

On the topic of Europower, I've been spinning this new Falconer nonstop. It's damn fucking good. Up there with the s/t and Chapters for me, probably 3rd place out of those, but there's a lot of nostalgia to contend with.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:40 am 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
And Crystal Eyes' new album lives up to its name as well! They're not quite so wonderfully catchy and upbeat as they were in the early days, but that's not worth getting hung up over, it's still fun and catchy stuff. They're definitely going for a more retro sound these days, but nothing quite as far as their crystal namesakes Crystallion's album of the same name! :lol:

Xileize wrote:

Limbo was definitely a great album. I think Human Reset is a little more of a grower rather than immediately hitting, but for me there wasn't that much difference. My picks are the title track, Absolute Power, and one of the last three (full-length) tracks (I can't remember which one), at least for now!

I definitely miss him too, but I don't think they've done too badly out of it at all all told. And hey, it makes the New Era saga sound especially distinctive!

Are you aware of his new project, Starbynary? They've only released one track so far but it's been in the works for a while, so hopefully the album will be out soon.

https://soundcloud.com/Starbynary

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:19 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Glad to hear the new Crystal Eyes is good. Chained was solid as hell. I'm gonna miss the Chained vocalist though...

I only remember Dahl being on Chained and he's still here, so I'll have to give that another listen. :lol:

Xileize wrote:
Are you aware of his new project, Starbynary? They've only released one track so far but it's been in the works for a while, so hopefully the album will be out soon.

I was not, but now I am, thanks! I was worried it was going to be more groovy or industrial at the beginning, but then it turned into something very pretty. Definitely darker and simpler than Derdian, but I'll definitely be watching out for this!

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:06 am 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

I only remember Dahl being on Chained and he's still here, so I'll have to give that another listen. :lol:

Xileize wrote:

I was not, but now I am, thanks! I was worried it was going to be more groovy or industrial at the beginning, but then it turned into something very pretty. Definitely darker and simpler than Derdian, but I'll definitely be watching out for this!

I just read a status from two days ago that I somehow missed saying that they've finished recording their first album and are now mixing it, so hopefully it'll come out soon! I am kind of hoping that the whole album is a little more complex, but I do believe they are going for a Prog/Power angle, so hopefully we're sorted in that department.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:02 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Hey, sing-along choruses rock!

Congrats Rocka Rollas, those two songs sound amazing :headbang:

Thanks a lot! I've been developing this kind of illness that I just can't fucking write a song without these choruses. Even tho I really love those kind of choruses, I should try to be more varied on future albums... Because ALL choruses are like this on the upcoming one.... Hahaha!!!

Jophelerx wrote:
Yeah definitely dig the new songs Rockas, sounds like you're getting better with each subsequent release. The choruses are a tad singalongy for my taste as well, but they're not enough for me to not dig this stuff. Sounds like you're starting to find your own sound to an extent, although there's still a huge RW influence obviously. I'd like to hear you depart even more from the RW worship and find your own sound completely, but yeah this is cool.

There's a lot of RW influences left, but you're right in what you're saying; less obvious RW stuff on future releases.

Man_who_lost_the_sun wrote:
Wow. This is unreal man. Earlier RR stuff is solid, but from what I've heard from the new album this is potential AOTY material. Riding Wild in particular is an addicting track; Port Royal meets Walls of Jericho. I'm loving these two tracks as well.

Blazon Stone's debut was absolutely amazing too. Keep it up man!

I was actually close to changing the bands name just because of the "giant" leap between the first two and this; but fuck it.

Just because all of your kind words, I hereby present another song! This one is aided by a guitar solo from swedish guitar master Janne Stark of Overdrive! Big honor to have him doing a guest appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suMwVx7IAiI

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:49 pm 

yeah, Adamsen on Chained was really really good.

ExodusofSlayers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 pm 

Hey watsup I'm new the forums. Don't know if you've posted this but I thought these dudes were fast as hell and they're from SA texas so home state advantage for me.

ExodusofSlayers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:02 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
On the topic of Europower, I've been spinning this new Falconer nonstop. It's damn fucking good. Up there with the s/t and Chapters for me, probably 3rd place out of those, but there's a lot of nostalgia to contend with.

That album is really awesome I agree. The Jester's Ball guitar solo is wicked. I think it's a step up for them but I prefer faster riffs.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 am 

What's everybody's opinion of Crimson Glory's Astronomica? I was CD shopping at a store the other day, when I saw it used for $8. I recognized the artwork with the pyramids, and I could have SWORN I saw a lot of positive comments about the album on the MA forums in the past (maybe this very thread?) so I picked it up (as well as some other CDs not relevant to this thread). When I got home, I looked it up on MA, and to my surprise, I saw it had two reviews, with an average score of 45%. Often when I am not sure of what albums by any particular band are supposed to be good, while I'm shopping I'll get out my cell phone and go to MA and look up reviews. But I was SO SURE that Astronomica had a good reputation that I didn't bother to. Figured that was a mistake. Then I read the reviews. One was very negative. The other, by hells_unicorn, basically said that it wasn't a bad album, and that the main problem was it was marred by the expectations the fans had for it. This gave me hope, as I was not familiar with the band at all, so I had no expectations as what it would sound like, other than that Crimson Glory was a power metal band. So I listened to it, and I liked it quite a bit. I've listened to it I think three times so far. The first listen, I really enjoyed tracks 1-6. When I saw track 7 was called Lucifer's Hammer, I thought/hoped "Could this be a cover of my favorite 80s Warlord song?" No, it was a Crimson Glory original, and what I thought at the time was a pretty crappy one. Then The Other Side of Midnight was a ballad I enjoyed quite a bit. Then the last two songs I thought were pretty crappy.

7 good songs out of 10 seemed a pretty good used purchase for an album with an average review score of 45%, right? I thought so. In subsequent listens, I've even started warming up to Lucifer's Hammer and Cyber-Christ. Cydonia I still don't really like, I think due mostly to the weak chorus.

If this was supposed to be one of their bad albums, I certainly want to check out their first two now.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:53 am 

Xileize wrote:
Has anyone here listened to Charn? Just wondered what you guys thought of their only album. It's certainly a weird one. I've been listened to it the past week and it has certainly grown on me a lot in its own weird way.

That's awesome really sounds like Helloween's WOJ style. The only other song I've heard that really sounds like that is "Pharaoh" by Chroming Rose. Scanner's "Hypertrace" also has some similarities. Anyone know of more stuff like "Walls Of Jericho"?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 am 

Heard Rage's Perfect Man? Personally I like that one better than early Agent Steel or Helloween, in terms of old speed metal stuff.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:03 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
What's everybody's opinion of Crimson Glory's Astronomica?

It sucks, especially the vocalist. At least 'Strange and Beautiful' still had Midnight. The first two are great, of corpse.

TheAnimator: I'm personally not a big fan of that style, but I'll channel Xeogred and tell you to check out Calderone, Stranger, and Jester's March. Also if you don't mind some PM in there a personal favorite of mine is Final Prophecy's demo, amazing stuff. And Witchhammer's '1487' if you haven't heard it, very solid power/speed/thrash.

macmoney wrote:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
What's everybody's opinion of Crimson Glory's Astronomica? I was CD shopping at a store the other day, when I saw it used for $8. I recognized the artwork with the pyramids, and I could have SWORN I saw a lot of positive comments about the album on the MA forums in the past (maybe this very thread?) so I picked it up (as well as some other CDs not relevant to this thread). When I got home, I looked it up on MA, and to my surprise, I saw it had two reviews, with an average score of 45%. Often when I am not sure of what albums by any particular band are supposed to be good, while I'm shopping I'll get out my cell phone and go to MA and look up reviews. But I was SO SURE that Astronomica had a good reputation that I didn't bother to. Figured that was a mistake. Then I read the reviews. One was very negative. The other, by hells_unicorn, basically said that it wasn't a bad album, and that the main problem was it was marred by the expectations the fans had for it. This gave me hope, as I was not familiar with the band at all, so I had no expectations as what it would sound like, other than that Crimson Glory was a power metal band. So I listened to it, and I liked it quite a bit. I've listened to it I think three times so far. The first listen, I really enjoyed tracks 1-6. When I saw track 7 was called Lucifer's Hammer, I thought/hoped "Could this be a cover of my favorite 80s Warlord song?" No, it was a Crimson Glory original, and what I thought at the time was a pretty crappy one. Then The Other Side of Midnight was a ballad I enjoyed quite a bit. Then the last two songs I thought were pretty crappy.

7 good songs out of 10 seemed a pretty good used purchase for an album with an average review score of 45%, right? I thought so. In subsequent listens, I've even started warming up to Lucifer's Hammer and Cyber-Christ. Cydonia I still don't really like, I think due mostly to the weak chorus.

If this was supposed to be one of their bad albums, I certainly want to check out their first two now.

It's really a good album with great songwriting. The vocalist is not as clean and high-pitched as Midnight and some folks only like CG for his voice. Wade Black's performance was pretty good. I still feel like they should've hired Rick from STEEL PROPHET to do the vocals on that album. It certainly deserves higher than 45%. Fans can have knee-jerk reactions sometimes, I guess because of their disappointment. The vocals were re-recorded on that album and probably were better on the first recording because the demo from that session "Touch the Sun" had awesome vocals. It's probably hard to get motivated to do all that work again the second time around.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:26 pm 

Crimson Glory's first two albums are not immediate IMO, but when they kick ass they are unstoppable.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:55 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Heard Rage's Perfect Man? Personally I like that one better than early Agent Steel or Helloween, in terms of old speed metal stuff.

:tongue:

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 am 

ExodusofSlayers wrote:
Spoiler: show

Hey watsup I'm new the forums. Don't know if you've posted this but I thought these dudes were fast as hell and they're from SA texas so home state advantage for me.

That was awesome. These guys definitely love Lost Horizon. Sadly their songwriting/singer isn't as good as Lost Horizon's, but it's still great stuff. I'm surprised there aren't more bands that sound like this.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
ExodusofSlayers wrote:
Spoiler: show

That was awesome. These guys definitely love Lost Horizon. Sadly their songwriting/singer isn't as good as Lost Horizon's, but it's still great stuff. I'm surprised there aren't more bands that sound like this.

Damn, that is pretty freakin' sweet. Is this a bad time to mention Lost Horizon never really popped out to me?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Damn, that is pretty freakin' sweet. Is this a bad time to mention Lost Horizon never really popped out to me?

It's always a bad time to mention that Lost Horizon doesn't appeal to you :P

Lost Horizon is pretty much the pinnacle of power metal to me. No band will ever top them, and it's unfortunate we only got two albums out of them.

What I find really compelling about the band is that the two albums are really different. The first is much more rhythm-based. The drumming is absolutely punishing, and unlike any drumming I've ever heard on another power metal record. The riffs are also much more prominent than on the second album. By contrast, "A Flame to The Ground Beneath" seems focused on melody. Even though Heiman and lead-playing were obviously a huge part of the first album, they really take center stage on the second record.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Lost Horizon is pretty much the pinnacle of metal*

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, that Enchiladas band is pretty sweet. Sounds a bit like the first Sonata Arctica, though the vocal melodies are quite wobbly, like he's not entirely sure of what he's going to sing.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

It's always a bad time to mention that Lost Horizon doesn't appeal to you :P

Lost Horizon is pretty much the pinnacle of power metal to me. No band will ever top them, and it's unfortunate we only got two albums out of them.

What I find really compelling about the band is that the two albums are really different. The first is much more rhythm-based. The drumming is absolutely punishing, and unlike any drumming I've ever heard on another power metal record. The riffs are also much more prominent than on the second album. By contrast, "A Flame to The Ground Beneath" seems focused on melody. Even though Heiman and lead-playing were obviously a huge part of the first album, they really take center stage on the second record.

I'm not saying they're bad or anything; it's just that, even after three full listens of both albums, I can't really remember anything from them. They feel so ephemeral. D:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 pm 

That's how I felt after I heard them the first few times. Years later I revisited and it clicked. Not saying that would be your experience, but for some reason they never caught on with me at first.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:29 pm 

"Awakening the World" blew my mind when I heard it for the first time back in 2001.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:11 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I'm not saying they're bad or anything; it's just that, even after three full listens of both albums, I can't really remember anything from them. They feel so ephemeral. D:

You can't remember this even? Shit, that chorus vocal melody + riff is one of the catchiest things ever.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
"Awakening the World" blew my mind when I heard it for the first time back in 2001.

Yeah, pretty much one of the best metal releases ever. The riffing and the melodies with Heiman's incredible vocal delivery makes this an album that I still go to very often after all these years.

Like your reviews?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 am 

Xileize wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4oI0rPEaM

Harris Johns is *the* metal producer for me, but somehow I had never even heard of that. On first impression I don't know how I feel about that; it sounds extremely robotic and not in a good way, with even the riffs almost sounding like copy-pasts ala Metal Enterprise. But there is something intriguing about it nonetheless. Thanks for posting this, I'll have to check this one out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:26 am 

There are albums and bands I prefer to LH, but they're undeniably a talented, unique band that were very much luminaries of the scene back then.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:00 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Xileize wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4oI0rPEaM

Harris Johns is *the* metal producer for me, but somehow I had never even heard of that. On first impression I don't know how I feel about that; it sounds extremely robotic and not in a good way, with even the riffs almost sounding like copy-pasts ala Metal Enterprise. But there is something intriguing about it nonetheless. Thanks for posting this, I'll have to check this one out.

The first two listens of the album I was really unsure about the whole thing. You are completely right about it sounding robotic and the majority of the album is much the same. With that said, the album is a science fiction concept album, so how robotic it all sounds (minus the song Welcome) fits very well with the overall theme and after a couple more listens I actually really like it.

Also, as an aside, Lost Horizon are an amazing band and I really wish Daniel Heiman would reunite with them! The only thing that would excite me more in the Power Metal scene at the moment is if Attack finally got round to releasing Deadlocked or if Timo Tolkki actually recorded and released Return to Dreamspace. However, with his track record after Destiny I would be a little weary of how it would turn out.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:05 pm 

LOST HORIZON will never reunite because there is no money to be made in the festival circuit. They have a small, dedicated fan base but Daniel left to try to make money from music. LH will never give him that.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
LOST HORIZON will never reunite because there is no money to be made in the festival circuit. They have a small, dedicated fan base but Daniel left to try to make money from music. LH will never give him that.

What? Daniel left to make money in music? How? In what band? Please elaborate because I'm not hearing Daniel on the radio, etc. If he did leave to make money in music it was an epic fail. :lol:

LH has a small dedicated fan base? I wouldn't think so since most of the metal heads I know love LH. I think your logic is quite flawed.

Like your reviews?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm 

LH definitely have a comparatively small fanbase, I haven't met anyone who knows them, there are many more popular PM bands out there such as Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Kamelot, etc. All of those bands I have heard reference to irl multiple times, particularly DF and Nightwish. Sure, their fan base is much larger than that of say, Dark at Dawn (to stick with the europower theme) but they're hardly going to be headlining festivals or filling arenas with fans on tour.

macmoney wrote:

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
LH definitely have a comparatively small fanbase, I haven't met anyone who knows them, there are many more popular PM bands out there such as Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Kamelot, etc. All of those bands I have heard reference to irl multiple times, particularly DF and Nightwish. Sure, their fan base is much larger than that of say, Dark at Dawn (to stick with the europower theme) but they're hardly going to be headlining festivals or filling arenas with fans on tour.

I know people that know Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Nightwish and Kamelot but they are not metal heads. Anyone truly into metal knows LH. My real issue is how he claims that Heiman left LH to make money in music. Where? Can't see it. I don't think Heiman will ever return to the band but not for the reasons he said.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 pm 

Heiman left Lost Horizon and did Heed, then he stopped that too and did some crappy radio rock band or something.

Quote:
but they're hardly going to be headlining festivals or filling arenas with fans on tour.

Well, not now for sure.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Heiman left Lost Horizon and did Heed, then he stopped that too and did some crappy radio rock band or something.

Sad. What a waste. I still don't see him making money like this.

Like your reviews?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:42 pm 

Lost Horizon should have been huge, but they're pretty much a cult band with a (justifiably) vocal fanbase, IMO. Its pretty sad actually - they had a lot of momentum back in 2003 and should've kept building on that. Unfortunately, they had some pretty bad line-up problems - I remember when Wojtek initially quit the band, then he rejoined and Heiman/Olsson left. Then you have Music for Nations going tits up... I'm not sure if they had problems with their label or not, but I recall Wojtek wanting to release the 3rd album independently.

Jaggernaut (Wojtek is in that band now) hasn't done much either. I just checked their facebook and someone asked about the upcoming album and the band said it was recorded awhile ago but "no label is worthy to release it."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 624  Next