Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:58 pm 

I like older Morgana Lefay, but what I've heard of their latest stuff has been...shitty.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 pm 

Where bands like Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody of Fire, and Stratovarius have let me down as of late, the kings of neo-classical power metal are Galneryus. Their new album is fucking incredible.

Like your reviews?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:07 am 

Looks like Manilla Road's next album has a title and a release date. 'The Blessed Curse'. Friday the 13th, 2015. I assume February.

"NEWS FROM OUR LABEL GOLDEN CORE/ZYX!

Woot Woot Woot... !!! The Legend Mark "The Shark" Shelton and Andreas "Neudi" Neudert of Manilla Road in the house!!!

They met their label ZYX Music / Goldencore Records to prolong the contract for the next new "Silver Iron" THE BLESSED CURSE.

To be released Friday 13th 2015 (uhhh... spooky!!!)

#manillaroad #markshelton #friday13th #theblessedcurse "

https://www.facebook.com/ManillaRoadOff ... 1116201092

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:29 pm 

And Virgin Steele's delay continues...

Spoiler: show
SPV / Steamhammer is proud to announce a new VIRGIN STEELE studio album for February / March 2015 . This will be the first full-length album with brand new songs since "The Black Light Bacchanalia" which was released in 2010. David DeFeis describes the new album:

"....it is a very heavy non-concept type album in the vein of something like a "Noble Savage" or an "Age Of Consent", where there is no particular "story" that one has to follow...it is instead a straightforward collection of songs that work well together. It is about 80-90% tracked already, and final mixing will begin next month!"

He further stated that:

I know that we announced a box-set was to be issued this autumn, which in addition to two more re-issues, would also have included a new bonus album called "Ghost Harvest", (which by the way is finished and ready to go).... but... the group and I and our label all feel that the time is right now first for some brand new US Metal in the style that VIRGIN STEELE deliver, therefore the new album is now our focus but...fear not...the previously discussed box set will be released later next year, most likely a short time after we issue the brand new release that we are currently completing. And for those who were asking...yes... the new album does have a title and I will reveal it in the weeks ahead.... With these new recordings we have gone back to some earlier methods of recording such as using analog tape, and the whole thing sounds and feels very organic. To conclude...the Group and I are really happy with the new material and we are sure that all the Fans who waited so long will be more than pleased.!"

Watch out for more info to be revealed soon.

Source: http://www.FreemanPromotions.Com

Jesus Christ, I thought Virgin Steele finally had their date set up to release something new but no. :lol:

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 pm 

I don't mind waiting a lot for their next album, just as long as I know the band is taking their time to release something awesome. Btw, Does anybody know what are they going to be working on the next few years? I remember something about a trilogy but I'm not sure.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 am 

Hey guys! Thanks for the huge amount of recommendations last time. To clear one thing up, since it confused some people, when I asked for NWOBHM stuff with Eddie Clarke style guitars that's as little hard rock as possible, I meant two separate things. I didn't mean that Clarke himself represented the most metal style of NWOBHM riffing. I wanted to see if there was completely metal stuff that took strong cues from Clarke's style. He had a very cool tone, and frequently used certain intervals and licks that created the perfect atmosphere for his style of music, which is something I though would've been absolutely great in faster and heavier music as well.

Also, before I listened to about 50 NWOBHM bands, I didn't know how unambiguously metal most of the bands in the style really were. :P

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:10 am 

Aydross wrote:
I don't mind waiting a lot for their next album, just as long as I know the band is taking their time to release something awesome. Btw, Does anybody know what are they going to be working on the next few years? I remember something about a trilogy but I'm not sure.

From what I've remembered they have written two concept albums, one album with heavy metal tunes that have no story and now there's that anniversary box that includes Ghost Harvest, a disc featuring new songs plus covers along with The Book of Burning and Hymns to Victory re-released.

The problem for me isn't the lack of anniversary box they had planned, but just the lack of new material within this year...hell, from what I remember reading most of their new stuff was ready to go. If Virgin Steele are really not sure about the possibility of releasing new stuff, they shouldn't publish such info and if there are problems I think fans would appreciate it if they got to know actual reasons (valid reasons) instead of just saying ''we just decided to go release something else later'' over and over again.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:12 pm 

What do you guys think of Amulet? They're a fairly new UK-based heavy metal band and they've released their debut full length on Century Media. I've only heard this track though. https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/amu ... lbum-track

lucifersfriend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:48 pm 

ok... this might be a tough one:
in the early to mid 80s there was a fine line between the more mainstream glam/hard rock clowns vs. the more european style classic metal, and some bands actually pulled it off really well. Savatage, early Lizzy Borden, Warrior, and the first Armored Saint record is another good example...
before they made fools of themselves in the Metal Years movie, Odin put out this ep and this perfectly nails the feel Im looking for.

I am old, and I was a teenager in the 80s, so this is all stuff I listened to before I discovered Slayer and my balls dropped. Im just wondering if theres anything super obscure I missed, or any new bands that sound like this. powerful minor key melodies, shreddy solos, mean riffs, etc. thanks

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:31 am 

lucifersfriend wrote:
in the early to mid 80s there was a fine line between the more mainstream glam/hard rock clowns vs. the more european style classic metal, and some bands actually pulled it off really well. Savatage, early Lizzy Borden, Warrior, and the first Armored Saint record is another good example...
before they made fools of themselves in the Metal Years movie, Odin put out this ep and this perfectly nails the feel Im looking for.

I am old, and I was a teenager in the 80s, so this is all stuff I listened to before I discovered Slayer and my balls dropped. Im just wondering if theres anything super obscure I missed, or any new bands that sound like this. powerful minor key melodies, shreddy solos, mean riffs, etc. thanks

You may like these bands. I'm old too. lol

Like your reviews?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 am 

lucifersfriend wrote:

Above all this reminds me of Angus, sweet galloping HM from the Netherlands, check out both of their albums for sure, quality stuff. It also heavily brings to mind hard rock-tinged USPM, e.g. Warrior as you mentioned, and others like Vicious Rumors (first four), Shok Paris, Metal Church (especially the Howe albums), hell even Grudge to an extent. Cool stuff.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:38 pm 

colin040 wrote:
And Virgin Steele's delay continues...

SPV / Steamhammer is proud to announce a new VIRGIN STEELE studio album for February / March 2015 . This will be the first full-length album with brand new songs since "The Black Light Bacchanalia" which was released in 2010. David DeFeis describes the new album:

"....it is a very heavy non-concept type album in the vein of something like a "Noble Savage" or an "Age Of Consent", where there is no particular "story" that one has to follow...it is instead a straightforward collection of songs that work well together. It is about 80-90% tracked already, and final mixing will begin next month!"

He further stated that:

I know that we announced a box-set was to be issued this autumn, which in addition to two more re-issues, would also have included a new bonus album called "Ghost Harvest", (which by the way is finished and ready to go).... but... the group and I and our label all feel that the time is right now first for some brand new US Metal in the style that VIRGIN STEELE deliver, therefore the new album is now our focus but...fear not...the previously discussed box set will be released later next year, most likely a short time after we issue the brand new release that we are currently completing. And for those who were asking...yes... the new album does have a title and I will reveal it in the weeks ahead.... With these new recordings we have gone back to some earlier methods of recording such as using analog tape, and the whole thing sounds and feels very organic. To conclude...the Group and I are really happy with the new material and we are sure that all the Fans who waited so long will be more than pleased.!"

Watch out for more info to be revealed soon.

Source: http://www.FreemanPromotions.Com

Jesus Christ, I thought Virgin Steele finally had their date set up to release something new but no. :lol:

I love Virgin Steele but I find it hard to get excited by new material. I didn't like their last album, and Defeis' vocals have been getting worse and worse. I got a feeling the new album is going to be just as limp-wristed as their last album musically, coupled with Defeis lame whispered vocals. I hate how much he overuses that whispering crap now. I used to be good when he mixed it up, but that's all he seems to do these days.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:34 pm 

lucifersfriend wrote:

I (think) I know exactly what you're talking about, and I love that style myself. As you say, it's a fine line, and so there are few bands that really fit the bill, unfortunately.

Have you heard of Fifth Angel? Their first album should be right up your alley. Check out this song:

Their second (and last) album is good but more commercial-sounding.

You might like Nightcrawler, too. The songs are simpler and the vocals are less varied than what you might be looking for, but they're great nonetheless. Some nice EVH-style riffs on this album.

P.S. Check out their 1998 self-titled EP as well. It's got an upgraded, refined sound and it's a ton heavier. Reminds me of Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath with a little early Iced Earth thrown in.

I'll come back to suggest more if I think of any. Some obvious ones come to mind, like Dokken, but that's all I've got for now. As Jophelerx pointed out, a lot of USPM blends the glam and European style.

By the way, that Odin song rocked! Hadn't heard of them before.

Edit: Nightcrawler got me thinking about this Matakopas song. Definitely check it out. It's very glam but just metal enough in all the right spots.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:06 pm 

So if anyone is interested in hearing a average quality version of a New Satan's Host song, you can watch it here:

New song starts at 27:03. Sounds pretty cool but a bit hard to tell from the quality

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:42 pm 

New song sounds like more quality Satan's Host. It's a continuation of the past two albums, but they've carved out a really cool sound for themselves so I don't mind. Conklin sounds great live by the way. I wouldn't mind seeing them in the flesh, looks like it would be a good show!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:06 pm 

Conklin sounds insane! Fucking King.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:27 pm 

30+ years making metal music....Harry is pretty well known...and yet it's sad to see him at a little club. Such is life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 pm 

Well most metal bands don't get huge stadiums and sell out big shows - doesn't mean anything except it's just more underground music.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm 

I was thinking that too. But yeah, easy to see Harry doesn't give a crap and still gives it his all. Maybe some old metallers prefer the smaller shows at their age too, who knows. It must be odd going through the motions and times though, they probably started in garages, then worked their way up when metal was bigger, and are now back to the smaller shows. But at least they probably know the fans there are totally legit and true fans.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 pm 

That song sounded pretty boss - probably a bit long, but I really think that garage-y shitty bar setting helps them out in a way - just dirty, evil metal the way it should be with that style. I would probably enjoy seeing them live more than whatever they do on studio next.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 pm 

I'm writing a paper on black metal spirituality and live ritualism...might have to use that Satan's Host video for my in-class presentation hahah. I'm talking about how the performers invite the audience to participate in a certain archetypal invocation of the darker side of the unconscious. Satan's Host is just the perfect name for that, and they're more accessible and traditional while "channeling" those negative forces than most black metal. They certainly have the black metal spirit!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

lucifersfriend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 pm 

took me a couple days to get back to this... so let me thank those that suggested bands.

mjollnir: all those were cool but I liked Ambush allot! thanks
Jophelerx: damn how did I completely forget about Vicious Rumors! I used to listen to them all the time.
Mysticaloldbard: Nightcrawler for the win. awesome band!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I was thinking that too. But yeah, easy to see Harry doesn't give a crap and still gives it his all. Maybe some old metallers prefer the smaller shows at their age too, who knows. It must be odd going through the motions and times though, they probably started in garages, then worked their way up when metal was bigger, and are now back to the smaller shows. But at least they probably know the fans there are totally legit and true fans.

Except that these bands still play big shows in Europe, so it's not like playing small US shows is representative of their popularity overall.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:21 am 

If I was in that position I'd hold out for the big shows ala Running Wild and preserve my value by rarely doing live performances, meanwhile cranking out new recordings from home. Yeah there's honor in being that road weary band for 30 years playing every dive along the highway but not everyone has to do that. Quality of life, ma'fucker.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:39 am 

You don't think guys like Conklin just enjoy what they do even if it isn't some huge show? Doubtful they're exactly "weary" - they probably have jobs and lives outside of this and don't have to do it if they don't want to.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:48 am 

Just knowing that you've been getting up onstage, doing it, being creative, putting music out there for 30+ years and THAT is the lasting impact you've had. I'd be having an existential crisis every night on the drive home.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am 

No, that's the guy playing a small show, in his home town, which is in no way representative of his lasting impact. And bands who aren't willing to play small shows are up their own arses, anyway. Hell, I bet some of these guys like that fact that they can still live a perfectly normal life and then get a couple of trips abroad a year to play big shows where they're playing to a much bigger audience. To be honest, it sounds like more fun being big abroad, anyway, you get to see the world rather than playing dumps in the US.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:17 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
No, that's the guy playing a small show, in his home town, which is in no way representative of his lasting impact. And bands who aren't willing to play small shows are up their own arses, anyway. Hell, I bet some of these guys like that fact that they can still live a perfectly normal life and then get a couple of trips abroad a year to play big shows where they're playing to a much bigger audience. To be honest, it sounds like more fun being big abroad, anyway, you get to see the world rather than playing dumps in the US.

James Rivera is the perfect example. When not touring the world with Helstar, he's in the clubs of Houston singing in tribute cover bands. Hel, one of the best performances Rivera ever did was in front of 25 people at Jaxx when he sang for Flotsam and Jetsam in '01. Both James Rivera and Harry Conklin have left lasting impacts in metal and the fact that they don't have "rock star disease" shows they have integrity.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 pm 

A large part of underground metal's appeal is that tireless devotion to making cool music. It isn't about being a rock star. Most bands aren't, and half the ones that are start to suck ass when they get older and more famous (Manowar, the post-Painkiller Priest albums, the obvious Metallica, etc). You find better and more consistent quality in many of the careers of guys like Conklin, Rivera, etc.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:15 pm 

I think if you work hard at perfecting your craft for 3 decades, you should be appropriately rewarded.

None of that looks rewarding.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 pm 

Music is more of a passionate hobby than a career for many people, Exigence. For thousands, making and playing music is its own reward. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:10 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Music is more of a passionate hobby than a career for many people, Exigence. For thousands, making and playing music is its own reward. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Yeah for regular, not-special people. I rate Conklin a little higher than that. Same with Riviera even if I don't care for their music.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:47 pm 

So here is Daniel Heiman in new clothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NPgp5MFivg
it is generic shite

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:22 pm 

Hmm wasn't THAT bad to me. Cheesy and a little cliche but I could see the approach working better on the other songs (hopefully).
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 pm 

Well, that song is just the single, the other songs might be better.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:29 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Yeah for regular, not-special people. I rate Conklin a little higher than that. Same with Riviera even if I don't care for their music.

Reminder that Richie Blackmore chooses to play just a few live gigs at select ren fairs every so often. Some people were born great, some people had greatness thrust upon them, and some people enjoy not having their greatness biting their ankles all the time!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 pm 

Yeah, but Blackmore is an anti-social asshole, so he doesn't count! :-P

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
So here is Daniel Heiman in new clothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NPgp5MFivg
it is generic shite

It's catchy but Heiman is still the star of that show. The solos were cool. The teaser that was released back in Sept sounded promising.

Like your reviews?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:53 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I think if you work hard at perfecting your craft for 3 decades, you should be appropriately rewarded.

None of that looks rewarding.

Wishful thinking. Where's the revenue supposed to come from, eh? Fanbase doesn't increase exponentially proportionate to the length of the band's career. People play the gigs they can for the length of time they feel like it/it's worth it to them. Not everyone can fill a stadium no matter how good they are, and if they can't fill a stadium it doesn't mean they're automatically worse than people who can.

What the hell kind of experience would it be if a band just refused to play shows until they got the attention of Running Wild. It wouldn't happen. That's career abortion, basically. Your logic frequently hurts me.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:15 pm 

The bands could be better. With all due respect to Conklin, a lot of Jag Panzer material is pretty average and there was a massive gap of time where he wasn't putting out anything. He certainly had the pipes and the opportunities. There is no reason why he isn't at (or beyond) the level of Iced Earth - be it with Jag Panzer or another band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459 ... 624  Next