* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:08 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Aydross wrote:
So Sacral Rage finally clicked with me. This is mad good stuff tbh. I just wish they had a better vocalist, altough I don't mind him that much if I try to ignore him.

You kidding? The vocalist is the best part. He's like early Rick Mythiasin but with absolutely no restraint.

I think every single member of this band is top notch. Took me a while to get into the singer as well, but eventually I started to get it, technically, he is incredible. As an aside, the guy on guitar is insanely gifted. His soloing is so melodic and well phrased.

I hope they put out more stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:52 am 

So this is pretty cool. Maiden-y power metal with cool guitar tone, cool riffs, crunchy bass. The singer isn't great but he is kinda cool in a rough way.

Spoiler: show

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:02 am 

But is it cool, though?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 am 

Sure. Definitely more of the stuff I like to hear when I want some new power/trad metal.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:57 am 

Yes, Empyreal, it is damn cool. I really enjoyed that track and will check out more.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:00 pm 

This singer reminds me a bit of Mark Osgueda from Death Angel.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:05 pm 

He is a bit like Tim Aymar from Pharaoh, but less gravelly and idiosyncratic. Just one of those rough and tumble metal singers, but he's singing material that usually goes with a more sonorous guy - interesting take, a bit. They have a newer album out now but I couldn't find any samples this morning on Youtube.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:50 pm 

He's the guy from the second Rocka Rollas album/EP. IMO his voice works a lot better in RR than it does in Ancient Empire, but both of their albums are very solid, and In the Killing Fields is probably my favourite song between them. The second album might be a little bit stronger overall. I reviewed it if you want to check it out (don't think I posted it on MA though).

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:22 pm 

New Power Quest!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=o2eUDed_W74

I like it.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
New Power Quest!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=o2eUDed_W74

I like it.

Well, that was unappealing and not Power Quest at all. No hooks = no buys.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:44 pm 

Matthias Steele's 'Father has Risen' is such a brilliant song. I wish more people would rip off King Diamond and manage to combine as many different vocal styles as the King does (Tony Lionetti III might actually combine more vocal styles than King, but still). I guess not many vocalists have this talent.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:28 pm 

Every song on Haunting Tales is absolutely brilliant, but yeah, the King Diamond impersonation there is utterly amazing. As my review for the album states, Anthony Lionetti is [basically a vocal] god. "Shadow of Illusion," "Return with a Vengeance," "To the Guillotine"...all fucking 10/10 stuff. Lionetti just does so many different voices it's uncanny. The guy can basically bend his voice at will. Those parts where he just goes from midrange to ridiculous falsetto...just perfect. No one can fucking touch that guy. Too bad their newer stuff hasn't been too good.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 am 

He also manages to channel Midnight on a few tracks - which is not easy. But yeah, he can shift seamlessly from gruff stuff to eerie Diamond-isms and almost anything in between.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:46 am 

So, holy fuck, this new Helstar is good. I couldn't have hoped for a better album.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:16 pm 

Yeah what the fuck. On the one hand it's awesome, on the other hand I'm annoyed and disappointed that they apparently can just do this stuff at will, but chose to play shitty generic modern thrash for 10 years.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 pm 

I'm guessing they just read the internet and learned how much people still liked Nosferatu - thus the conscious decision to go back to that specific aesthetic and style. Seems to be a thing with metal bands of Helstar's type of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Jag Panzer material is hearkening back to Ample Destruction and nail spiked bats somehow.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:23 pm 

I would seeing as though Jag Panzer seem to have great problems just getting their shit together (Conklin's been in and out and they've had various guitarists coming and going). Helstar's new one seems like it's going to be fucking great. As soon as I heard 'Black Cathedral' I was sold. I hope I can find it in a shop tomorrow - if not I'll have to wait until... Saturday. :(

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:24 pm 

Yeah like I'm glad they're jumping on MY bandwagon, they're welcome to be here, but still, it really makes them seem like a bunch of poseurs. It doesn't feel like an organic change at all.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm guessing they just read the internet and learned how much people still liked Nosferatu - thus the conscious decision to go back to that specific aesthetic and style. Seems to be a thing with metal bands of Helstar's type of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Jag Panzer material is hearkening back to Ample Destruction and nail spiked bats somehow.

It makes me wonder if Trevino leaving was a factor. Did he write/play on the latest album? Maybe the label told them to go this direction.

If this is a sellout move, than I am going to start saying not all sell outs are bad.

For example, I think Judas Priest returned to their classic style on the latest release to please the fans more than themselves.

Should the fans really be in charge that much?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:03 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I would seeing as though Jag Panzer seem to have great problems just getting their shit together (Conklin's been in and out and they've had various guitarists coming and going). Helstar's new one seems like it's going to be fucking great. As soon as I heard 'Black Cathedral' I was sold. I hope I can find it in a shop tomorrow - if not I'll have to wait until... Saturday. :(

I thought I'd read that they were functioning with a whole lineup again. That was about six or seven months ago though, probably, so I dunno.

I did get that same 'sell out' vibe FSM did. I heard the first few tracks this morning but was distracted - they did sound good, though. I plan to hear the album again later in full.

Temple of Blood, yeah, I agree - the fans shouldn't be "in charge" much. Kinda sucks when bands just go 'okay, we'll listen to what the fans want' as the whole basis for an album.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 pm 

Well Judas Priest did "sell out" and return to form more than once. Screaming for Vengeance came after a particularly commercial period for them, after all. I dunno, my problem is less that Helstar changed their sound back to what I like, and more that they could've done it all along but chose not to. A lot of these old bands that reform seem to have "lost it" in the interim, they can't recapture that old 80s magic, and that's fine. Nobody is good forever.

But the idea that they COULD have recaptured that 80s magic whenever they wanted, but have simply been choosing not to in favor of generic shitty modern thrash (for popularity I guess? rethrash was sorta big when Helstar reformed)...that's just a bad feeling.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:10 pm 

Thanks to you guys for turning me onto Matthias Steele... Lionetti is obviously amazing, but the musicianship of the whole band, the way the tracks are written, the whole flow of the album (HTOAWP) is just great. Excellent stuff.

Obey the dolphin!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:36 am 

This Helstar discussion has me all twisted up guys. Are we mad at them? We like the album but we're mad at them? I just want to present a unified front, like any good parents.

Repent in Fire was pretty cool, had to sample after reading this. Off With His Head was also good. Neither made me want to buy it though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:28 am 

failman's just being silly. Maybe they had to get all that thrash stuff out of their system before they could go back to something more typical for them.

I think JP's line-up has been relatively stable for a while now, but maybe Conklin is overstretching himself with 3 bands on the go. I spoke with the Titan Force guys in Athens and they said they had an album written but Harry just can't seem to find the time. Maybe he prioritises Stan's Hots and JP over Titan Force.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:27 pm 

Soooooo Kill or Be Killed by Blessed Death has captured my whole heart today. I put it on as a goof at work because I saw it for sale at a record fair awhile back but I wasn't familiar and the heavy metal gougers behind the table couldn't tell me a thing about it. I assumed it was bad thrash or death/thrash or something.

This is ripping fucking power/speed metal! With over the top vocals that go from a bark to a falsetto to a theatrical recitation...It's dirty and wild and fast and evil. I cannot identify with the general consensus of the reviews at all. Just ordered a copy off discogs, only $23 bucks for the Megaforce original. This is so god damn good. (other than the solos, yee-ikes)

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:42 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Soooooo Kill or Be Killed by Blessed Death has captured my whole heart today. I put it on as a goof at work because I saw it for sale at a record fair awhile back but I wasn't familiar and the heavy metal gougers behind the table couldn't tell me a thing about it. I assumed it was bad thrash or death/thrash or something.

This is ripping fucking power/speed metal! With over the top vocals that go from a bark to a falsetto to a theatrical recitation...It's dirty and wild and fast and evil. I cannot identify with the general consensus of the reviews at all. Just ordered a copy off discogs, only $23 bucks for the Megaforce original. This is so god damn good. (other than the solos, yee-ikes)

Sold within the first 30 seconds of hearing!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:01 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
(other than the solos, yee-ikes)

What's wrong with them? I don't really know of any HM albums with bad leads. The only one that springs to mind is the French band, Steel Angel. They're not very good anyway, but the solos are always totally cringeworthy, bedroom shredder stuff.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:31 pm 

They were sub-sub-Kerry worship. I'm hoping maybe there were a few expressive ones I missed. The record really surprised me though, in a great way.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:19 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It makes me wonder if Trevino leaving was a factor. Did he write/play on the latest album? Maybe the label told them to go this direction.

If this is a sellout move, than I am going to start saying not all sell outs are bad.

For example, I think Judas Priest returned to their classic style on the latest release to please the fans more than themselves.

Should the fans really be in charge that much?

Well, according to MA he didn't. So you may be onto something.

I do like that Black Cathedral song. Though I also kind of dug their heavy thrash stuff they were doing prior.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:55 pm 

Got my Matthias Steele reissue in the mail today. I was disappointed to discover that the audio is at least 95% exactly the same as the merely average cassette rip I downloaded off the 'net back in like 2011, down to the loud hiss and everything. While I understand the master tapes were not secured, I was at least hoping they'd have an original cassette release on hand they could make a new, clean transfer from. It's nice to see the album available again - it's a great one, I was just hoping for more with the reissue.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:25 am 

Well if you listen to it directly back to back with the old rips, you can really tell the volume has been balanced out. I think it's worth getting for the fans, but yeah. Don't expect a real remaster.

Yep, new Helstar is amazing. I've listened to the last three so little that I'm not feeling conflicted about this one like you guys. This just seems to render them even more pointless to me now haha. Maybe Rivera had more influence on this one, since the dude has been around and involved on a dozen god tier albums across several bands in his career. Great to have what sounds like yet another A+ album with him on it. Think he'll go till he's 80?

Apparently a new Vicious Rumors just dropped too? New vocalist too?

Seems fucking awesome too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35F9-nLdR0w - still love that signature VR leads/solo sound

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:10 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
This Helstar discussion has me all twisted up guys. Are we mad at them? We like the album but we're mad at them? I just want to present a unified front, like any good parents.

Well imagine if you have a shitty dad who's maybe not 100% deadbeat but pretty close, and after a while you just accept that he's kinda shitty, misses your little league games, doesn't know anything about your personal life, gets you Power Rangers for your birthday when you haven't played with action figures for years...you just accept that that's who he is after a while. Then one day for no reason he's suddenly SUPER DAD, gets you the best gifts, is always there for you, etc. Like sure you'd be glad he's great now but wouldn't you be wondering...why wasn't your dad like this all along?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:35 pm 

hahaha, we apparently feel deeply hurt by Helstar's discography from the last decade.

Group therapy for us?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:47 pm 

Only if we film a Some Kind of Monster-style documentary while we do it.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:52 pm 

What are the dozen god-tier Rivera albums? Honest question.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:19 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Well imagine if you have a shitty dad who's maybe not 100% deadbeat but pretty close, and after a while you just accept that he's kinda shitty, misses your little league games, doesn't know anything about your personal life, gets you Power Rangers for your birthday when you haven't played with action figures for years...you just accept that that's who he is after a while. Then one day for no reason he's suddenly SUPER DAD, gets you the best gifts, is always there for you, etc. Like sure you'd be glad he's great now but wouldn't you be wondering...why wasn't your dad like this all along?

Son, daddy drinks because you don't have no legs and mom don't love him real good. Now, be a good kid and get yer dad a bud.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:44 pm 

Aydross wrote:

dozen?

Nosferatu is a masterpiece. I would start there then go to A Distant Thunder and then Remnants of War.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:59 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Maybe shitdad had some kind of revelation along the way, and realized that he could still build a good relationship with us if he just stopped moping around and actually put in some effort and emotional investment?

Weird Freudian metaphors aside, eh. I'm just glad to have a good album from Helstar. The actual reasons why or how they came up with it are irrelevant. Also, really surprised by that Chasing the Priest song. Wasn't expecting something so good from VR. Nice.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 pm 

Aydross wrote:

I can't name a dozen, but the first four Helstar albums and the two Destiny's End albums are all masterpieces, and that one album he did with Vicious Rumors was very solid.

I get where FSM's frustration is coming from (imagine how great it would be if, instead of the three prior albums, we had three more Helstar albums this good!), but honestly I'm going to count my blessings and be happy that they've put out another classic. Who knows, maybe the band will have a sort of Renaissance and put out another three of similar quality!

Seriously, though, the more I listen to this the more I absolutely love it. This is one of the best USPM albums in recent memory.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:05 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Only if we film a Some Kind of Monster-style documentary while we do it.

We have some real characters around here and could easily land a reality show on one of those less-popular cable networks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532 ... 624  Next