Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:17 am 

gomorro wrote:
So Im looking for some fresh and solid Power metal. Bands no more than 3 year old with good production, it doesn't matter the style (except symphonic). Lately I've been into other genre and would like to know how modern PM bands sound like.

Thanks in advance

How about some Helion Prime?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 am 

Working from home today, been spinning some of my lesser-played records. I have to say that I don't know what the fuck my problem was the last time I played Nightmare's debut but it's great. Singing in English probably hurt them a little because the vocalist sounds kinda like a doofus at first, but you get used to it. The production is a little hazy but the guitars cut right through everything and god DAMN do they handle their business. It's so muscular and gallopy but they keep the whole thing sounding kinda majestic somehow. Only the French. (Check out Lord of the Sky, got damn!)

Blessed Death is up now. Kill or Be Killed. It's just pure mean and nasty speed metal. The vocalist can sing his DICK off but a lot of times he chooses to do more of an Araya-esque thing. I wish he would hit those crazy shrieks even more often. Bonus points for a cool song about killing cops. Something makes me think these dudes were way into Carnivore and that ain't bad.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:29 pm 

I've been digging that Deceptor EP hard for a while now, and I absolutely love their sound (I can't get enough of the song 'Heatseeker', it's perfect). Is there anything else out there from recent time that shares a similar vibe? Guitars that have a nice clean, raw, overdriven crunch instead of high-gain/compressed sound, bass that is audible and at times plays counterpoint to the riffs, tight and varied drumming, and songs that are catchy, but have their fair share of twists and turns that are made of...well...fuckin' sick riffs?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm 

MAN! That EP fucking rules. What HAPPENED to those guys? They're still listed as Active so that's good. I'm really hoping they're the type of band who are taking their time to craft a masterwork of a full-length. Funny, Heatseeker is my least favorite track by a mile even though it's still good.

I genuinely don't know anything else that sounds like that off the top of my head though. It's ultra-thrashy (to the point that they're labeled straight thrash metal here, I disagree with that) but it keeps so much melodicism and brightness. It's full of quirky song-writing. Fucking stellar cover art too!

Edit: I guess I never looked them up on the archives. Just noticed they had an EP before Chains of Disillusion. Soothsayer. More of the same style killer artwork and a handful of tracks. I bet that thing is worth tracking down.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 pm 

Man, that last part of Heatseeker where it blasts into full thrash mode gets me every time. I wish I could write a transition and a part like that. I really hope they're taking their time and crafting something just as good, because I'm craving more of that sound right now.

EDIT: Listening to a song from their Soothsayer EP now, it sounds very different. Maybe a bit more modern sounding recording, and the guitars are definitely more up front and heavier. A lot more thrashin' riffage, too. I dig "Chains..." sound more, but this is still solid.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:03 pm 

Glad to see some Deceptor love, without a doubt my favorite newer band of the last decade or so. The songwriting is leagues ahead of anyone else in thrash or trad/power that I'm aware of, a shame they've been very quiet recently and may have stopped. I'm undecided between which of the two EPs I like more. Soothsayer is a bit more processed and groovy, but it's a late 80s Nasty Savage kind of groove, top swagger but also technical and interesting. The groovy riff in the title track might be my single favorite riff of post-90s metal.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:29 pm 

Nasty Savage was the first thing that came to mind when I peeped those tracks, good call.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:06 am 

Hellwell have a song from their upcoming album available for listening. It's called Lightwave. Mark Shelton's vocals sound like how they were at times on the Voyager album.

https://dmrbooks.bandcamp.com/track/hellwell-lightwave

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:14 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Glad to see some Deceptor love, without a doubt my favorite newer band of the last decade or so. The songwriting is leagues ahead of anyone else in thrash or trad/power that I'm aware of, a shame they've been very quiet recently and may have stopped. I'm undecided between which of the two EPs I like more. Soothsayer is a bit more processed and groovy, but it's a late 80s Nasty Savage kind of groove, top swagger but also technical and interesting. The groovy riff in the title track might be my single favorite riff of post-90s metal.

I have listened to this band but honestly didn't think they did anything above average. I usually agree with a lot of your musical opinions. You think they write better riffs than VOIGHT KAMPFF? What is their best song, I will go listen to it again.

EDIT: Just listened to Heatseeker again. Yeah, that's a cool tune, especially post-thrash break.

I like this other DECEPTOR band quite a bit (traditional metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1yj--lWoxY

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:17 pm 

That first Hellwell album hasn't stood the test of time for me at all. I may break it out and reassess. I wish I was more curious about the new one. I've still not heard The Blessed Curse.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
That first Hellwell album hasn't stood the test of time for me at all. I may break it out and reassess. I wish I was more curious about the new one. I've still not heard The Blessed Curse.

The Hellwell album is still one of my faves, though an interview I read Mark Shelton said the new one is different, not as much keyboards... I'm just getting tired of Shelton using that same damn riff so much these days. The Blessed Curse was pretty good. The Sumerian-themed lyrics were interesting, and there were some really nice melodies. It's a bit more laid-back at times. It's just that damn riff that's been appearing on, as I recall, every modern Manilla Road (and Hellwell) album.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:04 pm 

Hahha I don't know which riff but the riffs on Mysterium were like 75% boring as shit. The best song was the softest. I should probably check out his solo album I guess.

HEY GUYS TRACK OF DOOM BY ANGUS IS UNBELIEVABLE. I never expected to love it this much. It sounds like a European answer to Omen (shut up about the other Omen). It's so muscular and so fucking fast but there's also constantly some kind of melody or lead or quirky thing vying for your attention. They got a perfect production for their sound too man. Just heavier than shit and molten. This has bowled me over. You can trust that cover art. God damn.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:16 pm 

"The Battle of Bonchester Bridge" is legit one of my favorite Manilla Road tunes ever, but as a whole, Mysterium was toward the bottom of the Road's catalog for sure.

And yeah, Angus fuckin slays! It's funny because they got their name from Angus Young, yet they have very very little in common with AC/DC. Except the general testosterone-fueled energy, I guess. Do you not have the second album as well? It's great too.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:34 pm 

There are some really great songs on the most recent MR albums, but I think as a whole they've been lacking compared to the older ones. Mainly the riffs feeling a bit uninspired, particularly because of that main riff used in Lightwave being used in too many other songs. I should really get a list going of how many songs that same riff appears in.

Edit: Not including songs that get a bit more creative with it, we've got the Lightwave riff used in The Grey God Passes, Hermitage and the verse parts of Hallowed Be Thy Grave (all off Mysterium), and it's used during the solo section of The Blessed Curse, as well as the chorus of Truth in the Ash (both off The Blessed Curse).

Last edited by MARSDUDE on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm 

I'll be grabbing Angus' second album AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It's hard to believe that 'scream rates it even higher. I wanted to hear this one before I went crazy but there's no doubt now. I cannot BELIEVE how great Track of Doom is.

I put on Grudge afterwards. The quirk runs so strong in this one. It has to be one of the weirdest things in my collection. Up there with Deep Switch and Vortex. WHITE! HOUSE! SLUTS! ...relevant

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:14 pm 

Oh, I assumed you had the Sentinel Steel reissue of Angus, which has both albums on the same disc. But yeah they're way up there in terms of continental 80s metal. There were actually quite a few quality bands to come out of the Netherlands, but unlike Sweden or Germany or France, they never really had a singular distinctive sound. At the same time, none of the best bands really sound like they're from any other particular country either.

I don't remember what bands you're familiar with, but Vault is probably my favorite.

Man, that fucking riffset at the end there...I'd seriously argue that Vault had great endings to their songs more consistently than any other band.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:24 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Not including songs that get a bit more creative with it

MARSDUDE wrote:
The Grey God Passes

Wat
The Grey God Passes is my favorite song on Mysterium after Battle of Bonchester Bridge, great stuff and probably a 9/10 song for me, I'd say it's very creative.
Otherwise though, yeah I'd agree. The riff is being used too much.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm 

Jophelerx: Listen to Angus and get back to me.

XxXxXxXxX, you too!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:10 pm 

Oh, I already dig the hell out of Angus, great stuff. My favorite song of theirs is probably the title track of Warriors of the World, just sticks in my head.

WHO ARE WE, WHAT DO WE WANT TO BE
WARRIORS FIGHTING TO BE FREE

Vault is excellent too. Sword of Steel is a classic and everyone should hear it. Even the lyrics are cool and sometimes hilarious, like the guy wishing death upon his boss in "Blackmail."

macmoney wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:17 pm 

Yeah Vault has been on my radar for a minute. I was trying to avoid buying the compilation with the god awful cover. Hoping to snag a copy of the Sword of Steel reissue on LP, alone.

I can't wait to get Warriors of the World. I can't believe it's supposedly even better. Track of Doom skyrocketed to the upper echelon of my most-loved releases. And the last song is even better than the rest of the record, really caught me off guard. It's like they were saving a 6th gear.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:28 pm 

Well, I'm not 100% sure if you'd like WotW better, as it takes a more polished, less raw approach. Not anything huge, but the debut definitely has more of that feeling of youthful lack of restraint and raw energy. Which based on your tastes suggests you might like the debut more. But who knows. Both are great, at any rate.

macmoney wrote:

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:11 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
Not including songs that get a bit more creative with it

MARSDUDE wrote:
The Grey God Passes

Wat
The Grey God Passes is my favorite song on Mysterium after Battle of Bonchester Bridge, great stuff and probably a 9/10 song for me, I'd say it's very creative.
Otherwise though, yeah I'd agree. The riff is being used too much.

It's a good song. I like all the songs I mentioned, it's just that the riff is too similar to the main Lightwave one and the others. I'm really hoping Shelton gives it a rest.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:59 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Yeah Vault has been on my radar for a minute. I was trying to avoid buying the compilation with the god awful cover. Hoping to snag a copy of the Sword of Steel reissue on LP, alone.

Both albums are super good and worth getting. Don't be a hipster.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:37 pm 

I just recently listened to Between Two Worlds from the band I. I think it's Abbath's side project but it's a very good record. The album sounds more black metal than heavy metal but are there any bands that have a similar sound? Any recs are welcome. Thanks.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:37 am 

Is that a known hipster thing, wanting the best possible artwork? It really impacts how often I'll reach for something. I want it to be dope to look at while I'm hearing it. Sword of Steel will turn up on discogs soon and I'll snag it. The debut I'll probably have to wait a little longer for but that only makes it better when I finally get it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 am 

Got a killer USPM playlist this morning while writing...

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Riot - Thundersteel
Shok Paris - Steel and Starlight
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King

Good times. Blood pumping, energetic stuff.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:26 pm 

Speaking about USPM, is Sacred Oath the most underrated band ever? I've just recently found out about them myself. First album 1987, reformed 2005 and have released five more albums since then.

Their sound is a bit of Fates Warning and a bit of Dio, plus some thrashy bits. Great songs, lots of twin guitars, and solid vocals, this band's got it all, except for a video budget.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:01 pm 

Sacred Oath are cool, though the singer sounds like he has a potato in his mouth or something.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 pm 

After being in an extreme metal mood for a while I've been digging more heavy/power lately such as Seasons of the Wolf, Manilla Road, Cloven Hoof...also this obscure band called Stormbringer thanks to Jophelerex.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:57 pm 

Sacred Oath definitely isn't the most underrated album ever, the debut is great but all the albums after that are just kinda....eh. No compelling riffs or songwriting for me. Far from the worst comeback for a USPM band, but just nothing that jumps out at me. Background music, essentially.

macmoney wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:39 am 

Sacred Oath's debut is really cool. Relentless semi-technical gallops mixed with those weird super airy vocals. Obviously I never bothered with their reunion material because...why would you?

Empyreal wrote:
Got a killer USPM playlist this morning while writing...

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Riot - Thundersteel
Shok Paris - Steel and Starlight
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King

Good times. Blood pumping, energetic stuff.

This is interesting to me! For some reason I never think of Hall of the Mountain King as USPM. I just played it the other day because I hadn't heard it in years. It's a good album. It could be a great/perfect album with just a little more gas pedal. I looooove what I've heard of the early stuff. I need to get a copy of Sirens/Dungeons Calling.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 pm 

Yeah the Sacred Oath debut is a fucking monster of an album. Great guitar playing and weird warbly vocals... classic USPM.

Hall of the Mountain King is one of my favorite albums Savatage did - haven't heard their really old shit in ages though. But Hall is just full of swaggering, unstoppable, super catchy riffs and badass vocal theatrics.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:56 pm 

I saw Sacred Oath years ago opening for Deadly Blessing and Attacker. Got to chat with Matt Johnson from Pharaoh at that show after having talked to him through email off and on for years.

HotMK is a total USPM masterpiece.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:14 pm 

After many years, I still don't think Hall of the Mountain King is all that great in the songwriting department. Amazing vocals and solos, but doesn't have enough good riffs and has too much repetition within songs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:19 pm 

I don't mind it not having enough riffs - one or two great riffs is more important to me than a jamboree of them. The songwriting on Hall... works like a charm for me - just epic, powerful, flashy and stylish.

I'm enjoying Striker's debut, Eyes in the Night, right now - I am kicking myself for thinking this was going to be some kind of Enforcer/White Wizzard/Holy Grail type situation. God-tier riffing and super cool air-raid vocal theatrics.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm 

I don't understand how Savatage can be seen as having weaker riffs than most any other USPM band. Not to mention that the solos are amazing. Not many USPM bands have above average solos.

I also saw Striker live opening for Artillery. Seems like a lot of folks are talking about them these days.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm 

They don't have weaker riffs per se (at least on their better stuff), just not enough riffs. Very few bands can make a good 4-5 minute song off of one riff, and Savatage is not in that list. I'm sick of every song halfway through listening to it.

macmoney wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm 

No one said Savatage has weaker riffs. A few of us are saying Hall of the Mountain King does, though. And to me that's all down to variation and the need for a little speed. The riffs they have are really good for the style, but every song ends up sounding roughly the same speed to me. That midpaced anthemic crunch just over and over and over. Once in awhile I need a little gas pedal from the boys! And that's why I would say that the earlier stuff kills Hall of the Mountain King. I do agree (and how could you not?) that the vocals and solos are flawless.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:51 pm 

Eh, the riffs are one of the stand-out parts of HotMK for me and I wouldn't really like it the same if they changed anything about it. I love the way they groove and the stomping presence they have on every song.

Onto Striker's Stand in the Fire now after enjoying a song off this last year. Damn, great shit. Utter badass confidence and attitude. Just killer riffs and sing-along choruses for days. Back to basics but glorious for it - I like that they're not really imitative of any one band. Most of my favorite newer bands are like this.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:29 pm 

Hall of the Mountain King is one of the best heavy/power metal albums ever. Songwriting is fucking excellent, to the point, with the guitars and vocals being among the best in the history of metal. My opinion of course, you can tell I like Savatage a lot! :)

I also really dug the first two Striker albums. They kinda lost me on the third but it wasn't bad either. Definitely one of the better neotrad bands. They have an interesting mix of hard rocking tunes with full blast speed/heavy and I really like their vocals. Lethal Force I thought was a cracking tune.

I posted about Doomocracy in the anticipated albums section but I think the proper place is here. Epic doom in the vein of Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass etc, with lots of USPM influences. Very good friends too (they are from my city) but that's besides the point, they are actually very, very good and I am really loving their new work. This song, Guardian Within rules. Great sound production too (by Jim Morris...)

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548 ... 624  Next