Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:03 pm 

I dont have any Nevermore albums but this reminds me of some USPM along the lines of Crimson Glory

Karloff
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:21 pm 

Hey! I'm looking for some classic Maiden worship. I'd like some heavy metal revival kind of thing, I guess. Any ideas?

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm 

Karloff, try Lancer, their sound is kind of blurred between Iron Maiden and Helloween. Its closer to euro power metal but you might like them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3qImjnDR8Q

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:22 pm 

Man, Avenger's second album is so frustrating. Ian Swift became a phenomenal vocalist sometime between the first and second album, but the songwriting on "Killer Elite" is just so blah, aside from a couple of songs. Seriously, just listen to Revenge Attack and ask yourself, why they couldn't have just written an entire album of that?!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:51 pm 

Fuck, I do! Revenge Attack kicks major aerse! But the rest of the album just ain't so hot.

The new Satan rulz, I know it was expected but seriously, songs like 'Testimony' and the title track are incredible.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:04 pm 

Yeah. Those wails in (Fight For The) Right To Rock are fucking huge, but they're wasted in an otherwise mediocre song, ARGH! The only song from the new Satan album that I really didn't care for was Tears of Blood, otherwise it's pretty much 100% fucking killer.

In other news, I was digging through my box of cds and came upon one I hadn't listened to in a couple of years. Phantom Lord (GRC)- In Twilight World. This is pretty killer. The vocal melodies aren't always the strongest, but these guys can RIFF. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3z73fyXrYY

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:10 pm 

Karloff wrote:
classic Maiden worship.

Katana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGOPzn0MDFU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthV2-s-BRU

If you aren't familiar with Machine Men, try them for some Bruce Dickinson worship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_WGHUYeuRw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pamfpk0jKDo

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:27 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
The new Satan rulz, I know it was expected but seriously, songs like 'Testimony' and the title track are incredible.

I'm completely shocked every time I spin this thing. I "expected" a really solid album in the Pariah vein but they purposefully transformed into their early 80s manifestation and just committed. The perfect production should be a blueprint for bands who want to sound gritty without feigning a 4-tracker recording.

Twenty-Twenty Five was the only song that took even a bit of warming up to. The real highlight for me is the triple whammy of Testimony, Incantations, and Siege Mentality. Top tier riffing, and the lyrics/vocal delivery on Incantations is so killer.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm 

IN-CAN-TA-TIONS FOR MY SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL!!!

Gosh, I love that song. Probably my favourite one from that album, but choosing is not easy. AOTY for me so far.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:36 pm 

As far as Life Sentence goes, the title track really does it for me. That intro riff and the chorus are the stuff of legends.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:29 pm 

I asked you guys if I were behind on stuff... and you just now mention the new Satan... HOW AM I JUST NOW HEARING THIS????

:headbang:

One track in and yeah, best guitar duo ever. I hope this is the beginning of more, pull a Satan's Host!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:33 pm 

Yeah, the new Satan is the best trad metal album of the year. They sound like they're in their 20s. And this coming from someone who doesn't really love Court in the Act - Life Sentence fuckin slays.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:03 am 

How can one not love Court in the Act? 'Alone in the Dock' might be my favourite NWOBHM song, atm.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:09 am 

It's really good, definitely a classic, I just never liked it to the point of worshiping it. The new one's better.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:59 pm 

Satan really must have one of the most solid careers in heavy metal. Every release under the Satan name has been golden. But it does bug me that people seem to neglect the post-Brian Ross stuff. Those Michael Jackson era releases are ace! Post-NWOBHM! <3

LayedBack01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm 

So I'm looking to get into Power Metal and could use some recommendations. It's pretty much the one genre of metal that I'm most uneducated about so it's hard to get into specifics of what I like and don't like. What I'd like to do is try maybe 2-3 albums in each style or whatever and go from there. Also I'm more inclined to like thrashier, riff-centric and 'heavy' power metal . But I do want to try different styles.

There is one album that is pretty much the holy grail for me, I've always loved it and that's Helstar - Nosferatu.

also -

Liege Lord - Master Control - this is growing on me
Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied. Not exactly the type of power metal that I'd expect to like but there is just something inspired and energetic about it. Which is why I'm interested in trying out different styles but as I said, thrash and heavy power metal is a higher priority.

Lastly, I've sort of been trying to get into Manilla Road. I sense that there is something special about that band but have been having a hard time getting into them. Only listened to Crystal Logic and Open the Gates so far. Basically I really like a few songs but it's just not clicking for me overall.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 pm 

Well, Manilla Road isn't a band that clicks instantly. Give it some more time, usually it takes a while.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 pm 

If you're way into the more speedy/technical stuff like Nosferatu I'd say The Deluge would be a much easier entry point for Manilla Road. Or even Mystification, but I think The Deluge shows a better balance. Still quite thrashy and concise though. I think you'll dig it.

LayedBack01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:12 am 

Okay I'll give it a shot. I don't plan on giving up on Manilla Road, as I mentioned there's something I like about the band just can't quite put my finger on it yet. I'll have to listen to the rest of their discog and give it some more time. Seems like they have a heck of a lot of titles with very high ratings among power metal fans. But yeah a lot of my favorite bands are the type that grow on me over time and I suspect MR could be one of them.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:18 am 

LayedBack01 wrote:
Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied. Not exactly the type of power metal that I'd expect to like but there is just something inspired and energetic about it.

Angra
I much prefer the later albums with Edu Falaschi on vocals, favourite albums being Rebirth and Temple of Shadows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-YOsxQR_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNEXzPMOf8

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Shok Paris is pretty damn good. Listening to Steel and Starlight and I can hear some Jag Panzer, some Vicious Rumors, some Queensryche in the more midpaced moments...pretty wild, unhinged vocals, too. I like it. Definitely should have paid attention when they were getting hailed in this thread years ago.

Saw them in May, they were damn good live.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Satan really must have one of the most solid careers in heavy metal. Every release under the Satan name has been golden. But it does bug me that people seem to neglect the post-Brian Ross stuff. Those Michael Jackson era releases are ace! Post-NWOBHM! <3

Oh, you just reminded me that I never got back to you on Suspended Sentence, and let me say; it's a cool album. I don't like it as much as Court in the Act, mostly because a couple of the songs feel overlong, but I appreciate the thrashier approach (not that CITA wasn't rather thrashy for a NWOBHM release, mind you) and Michael Jackson's raspy snarl. Good shit.

Also, how come we don't go around telling people that Michael Jackson sang for a band called Satan? :lol:
Opus wrote:
LayedBack01 wrote:
Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied. Not exactly the type of power metal that I'd expect to like but there is just something inspired and energetic about it.

Angra
I much prefer the later albums with Edu Falaschi on vocals, favourite albums being Rebirth and Temple of Shadows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-YOsxQR_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNEXzPMOf8

Agree on Angra being much better with Edu behind the mic, and I'll add Aurora Consurgens to your recs. It's not as crazy and over the top as TOS, but I prefer its more subdued, dream-like approach to power/prog.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:20 pm 

So guys, you know of any epic/traditional heavy metal bands with heavy doses of psychedelic rock. Like I want bands that have the overall traditional metal sound, and I want all the fantasy lyrical themes, but with some heavy, heavy psychedelic passages and influences. Like if Manilla Road one day found a garden of magic mushrooms and a sitar and proceeded to go on one hell of a metal trip.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:41 pm 

I assume you've heard Mark of the Beast?

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:09 pm 

No I hadn't heard that but I guess it is the gist of what I asked for. However I want something with more intense psychedelic passages, and way more heavy metal riffage. Sitar is a plus.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 pm 

In my mind, epic and psychedelic are opposites.
Epic has a storyline and build up and climax and such. Psychedelic just stands there, spins around in one place, at best.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:22 pm 

Opus wrote:
In my mind, epic and psychedelic are opposites.
Epic has a storyline and build up and climax and such. Psychedelic just stands there, spins around in one place, at best.

Eh, maybe we just have differing opinions then because I definitely don't see psychedelic as just spinning around in one place". And plus I'm not Expressely asking for "epic" bands. I just want trad. Heavy metal bands with intense psychedelic passages.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I prefer its more subdued, dream-like approach to power/prog.

You heard Almah, man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooaO9tpXzAI

This shit is right up my alley, and has Edu Falaschi doing his best kind of vocals - i.e. the ones on Aqua. I love the more subdued approach but with these brilliant, subtle melodies behind them. Music is more straightforward than Angra but I think it rocks.

This one is better actually, but try both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCu1no-MtLo

Last edited by Empyreal on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:56 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for fantasy themed Euro pm with amazing uplifting over-the-top melodies, soaring vocals, all the hallmarks of the style- but subdued or NO keyboards. And preferably being more midpaced than crazily speedy. I think the overuse of keyboards + obnoxious speed is what turns me off of most power metal in this vein. An example I can think of would be like if Van Canto (that a capella band) had regular instruments, and still no keyboards. Thanks!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 pm 

Currently spinning Castle- Blacklands. Good so far. It's definitely nice to be reminded that there are female metal singers who aren't just a cheap gimmick.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 am 

@Empyreal; I didn't pay much attention to Almah before, really, and those clips sounds cool. Not amazing, but cool. I'll give their stuff a listen. Seems like they have a rather short discography.

As for Aqua..... You know, I have a problem with that album; just the way it happens with SX's Iconoclast, it sounds a bit too safe and bare-bones when compared to the album before. Aqua is good, certainly (and so is Iconoclast), just not as good as Aurora Consurgens. I know you won't agree with me, but whatever :-P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:26 pm 

I don't hear anything safe about it really, it's the most complete integration of their folk and metal sounds. They didn't try to appease anyone with that album - it's just rock-solid good all the way. They have a lot of other good stuff, like Rebirth and Aurora Consurgens, but Aqua is the best to me for sure. ;)

Temple of Shadows is pretty good too, but way too long. "Temple of Hate" and "Wind of Devastation" rule though.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 pm 

Yeah, not saying that they were targeting a certain demographic or anything, it's just that..... I don't know, the album feels restrained, as if they were holding back while recording it. On the other side of the spectrum, TOS would benefit from being somewhat less all over the place and, indeed, not as fucking long.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 pm 

Listening to Aqua for the first time in a while because of this whole thing and, I have to say, "Rage of the Waters" isn't a great song. If they'd dropped that one it'd flow even better and sound more unified. Man though, "Monster in Her Eyes" is good...so morose.

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 pm 

I'm looking for groove metal bands in general. Any ones you think are really good, recommend me. Preferably ones that are in a way, similar to Volbeat. Thanks.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:09 pm 

better summarizing my past request:
epic fantasy themed power metal, but with minimal or no keyboards. (earlier Blind Guardian is a good example)

DMR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:46 pm 

ravagingthemassacred wrote:
epic fantasy themed power metal, but with minimal or no keyboards. (earlier Blind Guardian is a good example)

Salem's Law
Pettypew
Encryption
Pillow Killz (demos)
Embargo (they don't have fantasy lyrics, though)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:46 pm 

peterpessimism wrote:
I'm looking for groove metal bands in general. Any ones you think are really good, recommend me. Preferably ones that are in a way, similar to Volbeat. Thanks.

Wrong thread, man. Still, if what you're looking for are groove riffs, you might want to check out Symphony X's Paradise Lost. It's not groove metal per se, but Michael Romeo is certainly influenced by Dimebag Darrell when it comes to writing riffs, only he's..... Well, better at it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:59 am 

You are aware of Orden Ogan, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwBSMaJRt34

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:27 pm 

DMR wrote:

Salem's Law
Pettypew
Encryption
Pillow Killz (demos)
Embargo (they don't have fantasy lyrics, though)

Pettypew and Embargo are great! Salem's Law is pretty good as well, the vocals are a little off for me but I'll probably get used to them. Unfortunately I couldn't find the other 2 bands on youtube.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406 ... 624  Next