Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 am 

'Offrande Charnelle' is a really strange song... every time I play it I'm kind of taken aback by it. Great stuff. I like High Power a lot, too, but they're not in the same league as Sortilege.

On that note, I just ordered ADX's first album. :metal:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:13 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I'll have to listen to High Power more. I thought they were the French equivalent of Omen but think I'm mixing them up with someone else. Blaspheme? Thought I had some of their stuff but I'm not finding it. Hmm...

I think I'm just randomly thinking of Kraken for some reason, even though they're Canadian.

Kraken actually sound a lot like a primitive Omen. Just straight up heavy metal for the most part, but they have a similar kind of muscular, hyper-masculine vibe going on, and the songwriting exhibits some similar quirks as well. Really good band, people should pick up their demo compilation.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 am 

I've got Underground and a "demo collection" folder of three demo's. Still not sure if I was ever able to track down their other stuff though, but do these collect most if not all of their material together?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm 

Haven't checked out Kraken in awhile, I'll have to do so. As for the French bands, they're all good as far as I can remember, I just have trouble get into clean vocals that aren't English. Blaspheme is probably my favorite of the "big three" though, dark and occult stuff.

I've been really digging Paradox's Heresy lately, excellent power-y thrash metal stuff. I've been meaning to get into their newer stuff, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Any albums in particular that stand out of their post-80s stuff?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:38 pm 

Paradox is pretty damn consistent through and through. Their new stuff kicks ass, check out everything really.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:48 pm 

I second the Paradox praise. An underrated band if there ever was such a thing.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 pm 

Crazy how active they are thesedays too, forgot another one dropped this month. Anyone check out "Tales of the Weird" yet?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 pm 

Yep, gave it a listen as it's already been uploaded to YouTube. Rock solid album with quite a few amazing songs in it, plus a surprisingly good cover of Rainbow's A Light in the Black. I'll get it as soon as I can.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:28 pm 

For those who enjoy Cauldron Born, or Enchanter, you have to check out the band 'Ice Vinland'. It is a Canadian band but fits the USPM/progressive/speed tag. This vocalist just soars and should fit right in with most of you if you like the fore-mentioned bands. They have two full length albums but I only heard their second and it was hell to find but damn worth the effort.

Well the proof is in the pudding, this is the only one I could find on youtube, sadly, but it is still a decent half ballad full of epic viking atmosphere and should strike a chord with CB fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTD06JBu3pc

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:46 pm 

I was yawning a bit there until the song kicked into full gear, holy shit the Enchanter comparison is 110% dead on. I'll have to hear more.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:29 pm 

yeah the album has way better songs thats for sure. The song 'fate is done' is a speed metal behemoth and I was hoping to show that one, or the first song battlefield with its amazing power thrash riffing, and infectious chorus but oh well. If you have trouble finding it I can hook you up.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:26 am 

Got it. Is their first album good?

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:28 pm 

Well the few songs I heard off of it were a little...meh. Had lots of keys, and didn't seem to have a good production. Well I am curious about the rest of the songs so I think I'll go check it out if I can locate it. Better get the Russian to English translator warmed up :lol:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:47 am 

You weren't kidding dude, that song you linked isn't much at all compared to the rest of this album. White collar USPM fans need to get all over this shiz. Amazing stuff! :metal:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:29 pm 

Got in the Sortilege EP (sans tiny shirt I'm afraid) as well as the Savage Grace debut EP/LP.

I'm even more thrilled with Sortilege than I expected to be. The inclusion of 6 extra (english) tracks was a really nice touch, including a handful from Metamorphose. As of right now I think Death Hymn and Blade Killer are probably my favorite tracks but there's stiff competition all over the album. They sound a bit more sure-footed than the other "big" French bands at the time.

Savage Grace is just legendary speed metal isn't it? I thought it was pretty neat hearing the traces of Omen all over the album, even the LP after Powell left. The entirety of Master of Disguise just fucking RIPS.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:44 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
You weren't kidding dude, that song you linked isn't much at all compared to the rest of this album. White collar USPM fans need to get all over this shiz. Amazing stuff! :metal:

You know, I haven't been so keen on digging out new stuff in a long while, but since coming across this I can feel the call again. Just goes to show that there will always be albums that are so ridiculously obscure, yet beyond comprehension, still kick copious amounts of ass.

Glad you enjoy it, man.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:21 pm 

Yeah, that linked song was pretty badass, the tracks from the first album don't sound very good though. Guess I should just download the second? Still, pretty mindblowing to have something else in the FW/Enchanter/CB/Chozzen Phate/Steel Prophet category. We'll see if it tests the time as well as those five monoliths. On that note, any notable USPM demos of any kind I might have missed? I would love to hear more in the aforementioned vein, or any epic or blue collar/speed stuff as well. I've looked pretty hard, but this Ice Vinland stuff makes me think there might be some more stuff out there I haven't found. Give me the most obscure, bottom of the barrel shit you know of, as long as it's good.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 pm 

I still wish we could uncover that second Oblivion demo set or whatnot. They're definitely among my favorites, just wish they'd get the compilation treatment like Cyperus and others have gotten.

I'm with Apex though in that I was pretty out of the loop (this year to to do a little 2012 wrap up), honestly didn't dig around looking for much this year at all. Just kind of kept up with a few things that'd get name dropped here and stuff. Still re-discovering some stuff I've had tucked away hidden in my downloads off and on though, lol. Continues to be good times for newer stuff too, but yeah. Maybe I'm feeling a little burnout?

Solitude Aeturnus' first two were still probably some of the biggest standout discoveries for me in awhile, those really blew me away.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:23 am 

Ah good! Those SA albums are classics :headbang:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:40 am 

Yep, and Rob Lowe was at his best there (still like him a lot nowadays though). He almost rivaled John Arch in terms of ethereal beauty and soaring power.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:57 am 

Been listening to shittons of Paradox, Oracle/Prodigy, Helstar (mostly Nosferatu), Steel Prophet, Omen, Blind Guardian, Dark Quarterer, Warlord Fates Warning, Manilla Road, While Heaven Wept, Mystic Force and Pagan Altar these past year, a couple of those are more doomy I know but does anyone have any recommendations like these? I cant get enough even though I haven't completely finished some of thier discographies.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:15 am 

monkseatcheese wrote:
Been listening to shittons of Paradox, Oracle/Prodigy, Helstar (mostly Nosferatu), Steel Prophet, Omen, Blind Guardian, Dark Quarterer, Warlord Fates Warning, Manilla Road, While Heaven Wept, Mystic Force and Pagan Altar these past year, a couple of those are more doomy I know but does anyone have any recommendations like these? I cant get enough even though I haven't completely finished some of thier discographies.

Definitely check out Hellwell, if you haven't already. It's the new side-project of Mark Shelton from Manilla Road. Awesome debut album they released this year.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:22 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I'm with Apex though in that I was pretty out of the loop (this year to to do a little 2012 wrap up), honestly didn't dig around looking for much this year at all. Just kind of kept up with a few things that'd get name dropped here and stuff. Still re-discovering some stuff I've had tucked away hidden in my downloads off and on though, lol. Continues to be good times for newer stuff too, but yeah. Maybe I'm feeling a little burnout?

I can almost guarantee I burned myself out. 2012 saw me explore other genres like Black metal, Metal punk, and punk/early hardcore way more than the traditional metal stuff in this thread. My taste has broadened from a few years ago that is for sure. But after a semi-break from the heavy/speed stuff I am just glad to return and see the enjoyment is still strong.

Jophelerx, you will want to get that second album, it is pretty much a requirement now I think :metal:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 am 

monkseatcheese wrote:

Well, not sure if you're familiar with them but since I just mentioned them, definitely check out Solitude Aeturnus if you haven't. Their first two are a bit like John Arch Fates Warning meets a dab of doom. Incredible stuff. It's still almost USPM as well with some fast moments and traditional traces, so I dig that mix a lot myself, nothing else out there quite like those albums. The rest of their discography I haven't checked out yet, but I hear it's more straight up doom.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:14 am 

Yeah it is. And Rob lost a lot of his soaring power over time, replacing it with a more agressive tone. I like the later albums but I don't spin them nearly as much.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 am 

monkseatcheese wrote:

Solstice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5fdhhDFLQ

Also check out Isen Torr (another project by Solstice's guitarist and main songwriter, more of a trad metal-bent):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNmID78QUw

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am 

You'll love Arkham Witch;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-iOwQpnbLQ

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm 

I have at least heard about all of those, never checked out any except Solitude Aeturnus, I have listened to the first album some its pretty awesome. Isen Torr are amazing, wish there were more than 2 songs. Solstice are pretty cool, just listened to The New Dark Age, seems like something i will need to absorb more. Just found Twisted Tower Dire through the WHW connection, probably my favorite of stuff i just started listeningto. I still need to check out Hellwell, I love Rainbow and Deep Purple though so im not too worried about the keyboards that I have been reading about.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm 

monkseatcheese wrote:

Arthemis definitely has the speed and intensity you would look for in bands like Paradox. I would describe them as a cross between Iced Earth and Firewind, and their newest album "We Fight!" is simply amazing! Paragon may also be to your liking on this level too.

I also Recommend Dragonland for something closer to Blind Guardian. They go for a more Symphonic/Neoclassical edge to them but are really captivating with their stories.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 am 

Paragon look pretty sick ive looked at the ma page before, never listened though. Any experience with earlier Arthemis albums? I prefer to at least start in the early part of discographies when i first hear them. Another favorite of late has been Traitors Gate, found them a few months ago, just noticed the reissue on highroller reminded me of them.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 am 

I honestly haven't listened to allot of Arthemis' early work, but what I have heard they are very consistent in style. The first vocalist from Power Quest also used to front the band.

Are you familiar with Iron Saviour? They started off as an offshoot of Gamma Ray but are now better IMO. One of the best Speed/Power Metal bands out there!

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm 

The Nightmare Rider wrote:
I honestly haven't listened to allot of Arthemis' early work, but what I have heard they are very consistent in style. The first vocalist from Power Quest also used to front the band.

Are you familiar with Iron Saviour? They started off as an offshoot of Gamma Ray but are now better IMO. One of the best Speed/Power Metal bands out there!

I agree they are now better than Gamma Ray but nowhere near as good as the first Land of the Free. Just got some reissue of Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision the other day that was pretty sick, only 6 bucks

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 pm 

monkseatcheese, check out Atlantean Kodex and Dark Nightmare.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 am 

Now this is what modern Power/thrash should sound like! If you haven't heard the band Armor Column, do yourself a favor and have a listen. I just ordered their album and for good reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMoXmVHfsGQ

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Now this is what modern Power/thrash should sound like! If you haven't heard the band Armor Column, do yourself a favor and have a listen. I just ordered their album and for good reason.

Now THIS, I dig! :lol: ... :metal:

FUUUUUUUUCK, this is amazing. Vocalist sounds like Harry Conklin on some tracks, freaking amazing.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:52 am 

That is pretty damned awesome! I think I need to find more Power/Thrash crossover bands like this. This band reminds me of earlier Iced Earth albums with a touch of Overkill thrown in there.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 pm 

Bloody mother of metal, THIS SHIT IS AWESOME!!! Thanks Apex!

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm 

Glad you guys like it :headbang:

Xeogred wrote:
Now THIS, I dig! :lol: ... :metal:

You know, Xeo, I would say I am about 80% accurate when it comes to posting something we both could agree is amazing. History has shown I can be way off though haha.

Well, just looks like you will have to suffer through that 20% of crap huh? :lol: :beer:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:02 pm 

Man, Nightmare's The Burden Of God is awesome. The vocalist is an absolute beast. I wish the guitars had more punch and were more prominent though.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Man, Nightmare's The Burden Of God is awesome. The vocalist is an absolute beast. I wish the guitars had more punch and were more prominent though.

Exactly my thoughts on that album. Jo Amore has a great voice, and tends to remind me of Dio and Dirk Thurisch a fair bit (which is never a bad thing). Although as you say, the guitars could use a bit more punch, as they tend to sound a bit too tame for their own good. That's pretty much my only complaint regarding TBOG though.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 624  Next