Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
I've gotten into a bit of a Chastain kick lately, specifically Ruler through Voice, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I remember hearing one song about two years ago and writing them off as mediocre, but I gave them a more thorough listen last week, and those three albums were pretty good. Ruler and 7th were good and Voice of the Cult managed to fix the production and give the music a smoothness that really clicked with me. Any thoughts on which of the other albums I should try next?

Those three basically cover the ones I liked most, but go figure for my tastes. I recall For Those Who Dare sounding quite different production wise, but was maybe still decent.

You should check out Original Sin and Detente "Recognize No Authority" for some other random stuff with awesome female vocals.

afrombeyond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:29 am 

Hi everyone. if you like early Iron Maiden and other nwobhm bands, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbGg6V5OZs4
https://mashypnosis.bandcamp.com/releases

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:47 am 

so that Wytch Hazel album is some really good stuff. Essentially the more metallic side of Thin Lizzy with some pagan altar overtones especially regarding the vocals.

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:50 am 

Hi,

Could anyone point me in the direction of albums really similar to Omen's "Battle Cry", please? Also looking for bands sounding like Atlantean Kodex and Hyborian Steel (one or the other, not both at once). Thanks.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm 

Pagan Altar, you say? I'm sold.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:12 pm 

afrombeyond wrote:
Hi everyone. if you like early Iron Maiden and other nwobhm bands, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbGg6V5OZs4

Why is the timing so weird? Sounds like it was made with midi on a cheap keyboard.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:00 am 

I actually thought it sounded kind of cool despite the looped drums, but once the vocals came in the whole thing fell apart for me. But that initial riff had some drive behind it. Keep working on your shit kiddo! You've got something.

Had a little bit of luck at a record fair over the weekend. I found mint copies of Killing Technology and Headless Cross. I've not heard Headless Cross at all but my buddy said he thought I would be able to appreciate it with my "pop metal" ears. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews today and then spinning it tomorrow night when I've got the place to myself.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm 

Headless Cross has some great songs like Devil and Daughter and Nightwing on it. Probably my 2nd favorite Tony Martin album after Tyr.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:35 pm 

What's the best Epica album to start with? I may be seeing them in concert later this year (they are going to be on tour with Arkona, who I want to see).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:37 pm 

Headless Cross definitely isn't pop metal. It's total old school Satanic rock/metal the way only Sabbath could pull it off. These days I think the Ozzy and Dio years were definitely superior, but the Tony Martin albums are still very good and hold up pretty damn well, especially HC which was always my favorite of them.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
What's the best Epica album to start with? I may be seeing them in concert later this year (they are going to be on tour with Arkona, who I want to see).

Consign to Oblivion and The Divine Conspiracy are still their very best, though The Quantum Enigma isn't too far behind.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Headless Cross definitely isn't pop metal. It's total old school Satanic rock/metal the way only Sabbath could pull it off. These days I think the Ozzy and Dio years were definitely superior, but the Tony Martin albums are still very good and hold up pretty damn well, especially HC which was always my favorite of them.

Pop metal is just how we describe a certain sound. It's more down to production really. That unbelievably "huge" 80s sound combined with midpaced jams.

Edit: Also anything that sounds like Blackout.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:20 pm 

Blackout was what came to mind when I wrote the other status - that's what I'd call a pop metal album myself, that and some more modern PM bands. I don't think it's necessarily a pejorative term, but I think the Tony Martin Sabbath ones avoid that and just end up as pure heavy, rocking metal with only the glossier production as a bit of an outlier.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:05 am 

Just want to say that Rocka Rollas is now finished.

Thanks to my inability to sing well anymore, and that our drummer just left, I feel like it's finally time to wrap this shit up. I simply don't want to waste anymore time on a broken wheel that I cannot fix myself. I have done my best to find a suitable singer, but there just aren't any around...

Here's a video thanking all significant people who has been involved in the band until now.

If we find a good session singer we will release a last farewell album (Celtic Kings), which has already been recorded (one of the songs are played in the video)...

I have also put Breitenhold on pause, because I cannot sing / record vocals anymore.

If I ever find any good and enthustiastic members to start a new band with, I'm all for it. :metal:

In the meantime, I will start playing guitar in another already existing band. We will see how that goes! :metal:

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:20 am 

Really sorry to hear that man. Rocka Rollas is probably the best speed metal band of the last 20-30 years. I just ordered a second copy of the War of Steel Has Begun to get those bonus tracks. I'll be rocking my RR shirt and patch on my jacket forever :headbang:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:43 am 

Do you mind if I ask what happened to your voice? Sorry to hear it's not working out right now. I don't own any of your stuff but I've always been a fan of your work ethic and passion for the style. I bet we love all the same records.

You guys have any favorite albums that feature shred-gods but also high quality tunes? I picked up Beast from the East by Dokken at the record fair and I've kind of been feeling this stuff lately. One Nation Underground by Hawaii is probably the pinnacle for me, but that's not really what I'm looking for here. That stuff is so dirty and wild. I've been craving the slicker, sleeker, hard rocking stuff. I'm scheming on a copy of Marching Out. Any other must-haves? I've been spinning Vicious Rumors this morning but it's not really scratching the same itch, even if Digital Dictator rules and Soldiers of the Night is pretty good.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:52 am 

Quote:
You guys have any favorite albums that feature shred-gods but also high quality tunes?

The first Racer X album and the first two Yngwie albums are the ultimate in this category IMHO.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm 

Totally forgot about Racer X. I've never actually heard them I'm going to try to keep an eye out for that. The first two Yngwie albums interest me although the first one being so heavily instrumental bums me out a bit. It seems like, based on the reviews, Marching Out is where he really dialed it in as a full band. Is Trilogy no good? The cover art is so great and hells_unicorn's review makes me want to hope it's great.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:06 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Really sorry to hear that man. Rocka Rollas is probably the best speed metal band of the last 20-30 years. I just ordered a second copy of the War of Steel Has Begun to get those bonus tracks. I'll be rocking my RR shirt and patch on my jacket forever :headbang:

Thanks dude! It's really appreciated :)

Keep in mind, this is definitely not the end for my music carreer, I will probably go on forever, but let's just see RR as my first attempt at a real band; now I know exactly what I'm in for, and next time maybe I can redeem some of the mistakes I made with RR.

Jonpo wrote:
Do you mind if I ask what happened to your voice? Sorry to hear it's not working out right now. I don't own any of your stuff but I've always been a fan of your work ethic and passion for the style. I bet we love all the same records.

You guys have any favorite albums that feature shred-gods but also high quality tunes?

It's not like I lost it Mariah Carey/Bon Jovi style, but I defintely have big trouble holding high notes... I can reach the notes, but trying to sustain them, or singing something up their, just cracks the voice. I never had that issue before, and now I have been like that for like 4-5 months... I do different types of vocal excercises almost every day to keep in shape but it doesn't help :(

About shred-gods albums;

:headbang:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:41 pm 

Aww man I love vocals that waiver and crack. Record an EP of weirdo heavy metal with shaky vocals for me before you cash it in!

Maybe if you put yourself on vocal rest for a few months it would correct.

I'll check that out. I don't know shit about McAlpine but his name keeps coming up.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:30 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Totally forgot about Racer X. I've never actually heard them I'm going to try to keep an eye out for that. The first two Yngwie albums interest me although the first one being so heavily instrumental bums me out a bit. It seems like, based on the reviews, Marching Out is where he really dialed it in as a full band. Is Trilogy no good? The cover art is so great and hells_unicorn's review makes me want to hope it's great.

Malmsteen's reputation is often more of the problem than the music. I have everything from the debut through The Seventh Sign, and all of them rule. He gets pretty glammy at times on Trilogy, Odyssey, Eclipse, and parts of Fire & Ice, but the music holds up for me. I would give each of them a spin at least once. The Seventh Sign returns more to the Marching Out sound for most songs. I've heard Magnum Opus is in a similar vein, but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

IMO Eclipse is probably his best record. Goran Edman is a truly amazing singer. That album is way more laid back than his other ones though (aside from Motherless Child).

I actually think the first Malmsteen record is the worst of the first 7.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 pm 

M.A.R.S. is a great pick!
My favourite instrumental shred albums might be Tony MacAlpines first two. Great song writing there. Maximum Security also has George Lynch guesting on two songs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:57 pm 

I have a hard time with the purely instrumental stuff. That's a big part of what I'm looking to side-step honestly. I want songs that feel fully fleshed out, and for me it's rare that an instrumental sounds "complete".

With that being said this isn't really about me and I dig the round table.

Remnants of War is slower than I expected! Not slow, by any means, but it's a lot more muscular and brawny compared to Nosferatu. I'm on my second spin. I think the second half is stronger but the whole thing is a gem for sure. It's nothing like Nosferatu but that's alright. I need the next two for sure.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I have a hard time with the purely instrumental stuff.

Me too. That's why I prefer Tony MacAlpine over most.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:33 pm 

Oh okay awesome! The way I read it I thought you were a fan of the instrumental shred style generally speaking.

Does anyone have a line on a US distro selling the 2LP version of Dreams of Eschaton?

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:48 pm 

The vast majority of MacAlpine's work IS instrumental though, but I agree his compositions feel more fleshed out as songs than some of the other shred gods of the era. I do quite like the album Ring of Fire that he did with Mark Boals on vocals (as well as the albums they then did under the Ring of Fire band name together) but I haven't listened to MARS really.

Also if you check out Racer X I'd personally recommend starting with Technical Difficulties even though it's not actually from the 80s. Lots of great, fun tunes on that album that combine catchy vocal melodies with face-melting shredding.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:41 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Did you miss "Kingdom of the Fearless" and "Child of Desolation" somehow? Those are my 2 favorite VS tracks! I admit House of Atreus isn't quite as consistent as the Marriage series, but it's still very, very good, and has a lot of standout tracks. Atreus II has shit like "Wings of Vengeance," "The Wine of Violence," "A Token of My Hatred," and "Summoning the Powers"! If you look at all these tracks I'm mentioning, you've got excellent ballads ("Child of Desolation"), awesome USPM tracks ("Wings of Vengeance," "The Wine of Violence") AND super awesome epic tracks ("Kingdom of the [MOTHERFUCKIN'] Fearless," "A Token of My Hatred," "Summoning the Powers"!). I'd put the albums slightly below the previous three, but not enough that they're not still fucking awesome! Plus the interludes on Atreus I are the best interludes on any album I've ever heard in any genre.

Gave it all a few more listens and yeah "Child of Desolation" is pretty awesome, but the rest still does nothing for me.

tomcat_ha wrote:
so that Wytch Hazel album is some really good stuff. Essentially the more metallic side of Thin Lizzy with some pagan altar overtones especially regarding the vocals.

I was kind of disappointed with it. There was some really good tracks on it but the folk rock songs were just bad. I still need to give it some more listens to really form a solid opinion on the album overall.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:08 pm 

I have never been a huge fan of shredding but maybe you could check out Tommy Vitaly - Hanging Rock album which you might like.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:06 pm 

Vinnie Moore is very underrated for shred. Check him out asap, way better than Malmsteen and some of that other stuff to me. Other than that Marty Friedman's "Dragon's Kiss" and some Racer X is good.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:05 am 

Hahah alright thanks guys. I'll try to get to some of these. I'm psyched to find that Project: Driver is cheap as hell on record.

Lightning Strikes by Loudness rules so much. Similar to Trance from Germany it's basically what I always wished Scorpions would sound like. If they had gone full-tilt towards heavy metal. Opening song "Let it Go" could easily be on Blackout. The rest isn't quite as flagrant but still has that feel. 1000 Eyes is a JAM! I'm so glad to have discovered Loudness.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:18 am 

The new Omen album makes me sad. There's good material there, but the poor vocals drag everything down really hard.

Earthridden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:46 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
The new Omen album makes me sad. There's good material there, but the poor vocals drag everything down really hard.

Musically it was better than I was anticipating. When Kevin actually sings like he did on Eternal Black Dawn (Eulogy For A Warrior for example) it's decent but otherwise a poor performance, the attempts at grit or aggression just fail.
It was far easier losing my memory.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:04 pm 

Era of Crisis actually manages to be a solid tune, and might be my favorite track so far.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 am 

I haven't had the heart to listen to it and I probably never will. I know some people are saying that the music is surprisingly competent but Omen are one of the first bands that I ever truly found where it was like "Whoa, there's metal like THIS? This is everything I'm after!". I just can't bring myself to hear them with a middling vocalist.

I can now fully say that I am obsessed with Liege Lord. I have all three albums and I genuinely can't pick a favorite. It's usually just whichever I've played most recently. Currently spinning Burn to My Touch, and it feels exactly like what it is, a middle ground. It's a lot more sure-footed than the debut but nowhere near as sleek and muscular as what came next. There's something really charming about the debut though. It's very aloof. Almost clueless. Man, cool band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:05 am 

So I revisited Cauldron Born's Born of the Caldron today and I'm pretty impressed now. Somehow makes me think of what you'd get if Toxik decided to play USPM or something. Dig that crazy guitar work.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:31 am 

The guitar work, bass work, and vocals are all BAT-SHIT crazy. I love that album so much. It's one of those things where you feel like someone wrote and recorded it specifically FOR you. The lyrics are exactly what I want to hear set to that sort of thing. The riffs are muscular and yet so arcanely weird at the same time.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm 

Yeah Born of the Cauldron is fucking amazing for sure, it's like the distorted memories of some demented wizard. For those who have read Donaldson's The Mirror of Her Dreams, I can totally picture the vocalist being Adept Havelock recounting his glory days in appropriately bizarre form. And the guitar work is great, of course. Nothing Howie has done has prove me wrong. The man is a guitar god.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:06 pm 

Ok, this new Solstice demo is fucking incredible. I think this is the best the band has ever been, to be honest. A full album of this quality would be better than New Dark Age. Absolutely masterful.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Yeah Born of the Cauldron is fucking amazing for sure, it's like the distorted memories of some demented wizard. For those who have read Donaldson's The Mirror of Her Dreams, I can totally picture the vocalist being Adept Havelock recounting his glory days in appropriately bizarre form. And the guitar work is great, of course. Nothing Howie has done has prove me wrong. The man is a guitar god.

It's a total masterpiece and one of the few releases that I think is just as good as the heyday of 80s power metal. Howie is an absolute songwriting genius.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:19 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Ok, this new Solstice demo is fucking incredible. I think this is the best the band has ever been, to be honest. A full album of this quality would be better than New Dark Age. Absolutely masterful.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Early days, but I think these songs are easily up there with their best stuff off New Dark Age. I agree with you entirely.

I found this on Bandcamp, Legend of Powerheart by Hrom. Might be worth a listen, I'm liking it so far. Old style power metal riffage, fantasy lyrics, vocals have some balls to them but he's able to hit high notes.

https://hromcan.bandcamp.com/album/legends-of-powerheart-part-i

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525 ... 625  Next