Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:51 pm 

The folks around here say Bury the Light (as well as The Longest Night) are the bee's knees. Give 'em a try, I say.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:33 pm 

I don't really know what it's called but there's this feel to some songs, maybe it's a scale they're using or something I dont know, but can anyone recommend me bands with songs that are similar to Sahara and The Siren by Nightwish and Fools of Damnation by Epica? maybe it's some kind of 'middle-eastern' influence that I'm looking for.. Idk
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:46 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
I don't really know what it's called but there's this feel to some songs, maybe it's a scale they're using or something I dont know, but can anyone recommend me bands with songs that are similar to Sahara and The Siren by Nightwish and Fools of Damnation by Epica? maybe it's some kind of 'middle-eastern' influence that I'm looking for.. Idk

Orphaned Land. All of it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:54 pm 

One of my friends showed me Jonah Quizz, the first Candlemass vocalist started here apparently. Wow this stuff is killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJRQ5xAot4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmQiaWsCU4c

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:18 pm 

Jonah Quizz is great. I highly recommend the "Jonah Quizz Anthology 1980-1982" comp by stormspell records.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:19 pm 

where do all these obscure ass bands keep coming from

can you ever know them all?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
where do all these obscure ass bands keep coming from

can you ever know them all?

The world is a big place.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:04 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
One of my friends showed me Jonah Quizz, the first Candlemass vocalist started here apparently. Wow this stuff is killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJRQ5xAot4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmQiaWsCU4c

Man, that's Johan Langquist I'm hearing?! Hell, he sounds quite different compared to what he did in Epicus; generally more high pitched (Dickinson-esque, even) and urgent, but still great! And the rest of the musicians are certainly no slouchs, either. Actually, now that I mentioned Dickinson, I gotta say that this does sound very influenced by Iron Maiden, and it's very good to boot. Will check the whole anthology when I have the time.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:59 pm 

Weird that I associate Paragon's Law of the Blade with Diablo 2. I think "Palace of Sin" makes me think of the palace/harem in Act 2.

/off-kilter thought of the week

great album by the way, molten riffs of steel, great vocals and choruses, catchy and memorable.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm 

Was it something you were playing in the background when you first played D2? That's how I got into Pantera.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:15 am 

I associate some stuff heavily with Doom (game). UDO comes to mind, that stuff was a blast with Doom haha.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Weird that I associate Paragon's Law of the Blade with Diablo 2. I think "Palace of Sin" makes me think of the palace/harem in Act 2.

I associate Orphaned Land's "El Norra Alila" album with the whole Act II in Diablo 2.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:28 am 

I actually just got that Jonah Quizz Anthology from Omega Order (the great heist of 2012). I may be the only person who bought it before any Candlemass albums. Its good, but nothing jaw-dropping. Very very hard rock influenced and pretty upbeat as well, which makes it a great one for the car, cruising around with the windows down.

Got that Classic Chicago Metal comp from Enforcer as well. Really digging it. They're not as doomy as some of the stuff I'd read originally led me to believe. Pretty much just straight up USPM with a penchant for slowing down every once and awhile. Love the rehearsal quality sound of it all (makes sense). Some parts remind me of a less quirky Slauter Xstroyes. It's a real bummer those guys never did more.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I actually just got that Jonah Quizz Anthology from Omega Order (the great heist of 2012). I may be the only person who bought it before any Candlemass albums. Its good, but nothing jaw-dropping. Very very hard rock influenced and pretty upbeat as well, which makes it a great one for the car, cruising around with the windows down.

Got that Classic Chicago Metal comp from Enforcer as well. Really digging it. They're not as doomy as some of the stuff I'd read originally led me to believe. Pretty much just straight up USPM with a penchant for slowing down every once and awhile. Love the rehearsal quality sound of it all (makes sense).

Heh, I bought those two at the same time as well.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 am 

Hah, very nice! Did you happen to grab the Salem (NWOBHM) comp also? I think its called In the Beginning, a 2CD package. I'm genuinely surprised no one has reviewed these guys. Count_V kept telling me I should get it so I did, then I found out later he had never heard it before hahah. I was a little underwhelmed at first but their Keeper of the Keys suite is pretty god damned epic. I think its like a 21 minute track with all kinds of cool shit going on. Don't know if it was worth the price of admission alone, but it definitely struck a nerve.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am 

No I don't have that. I think I've heard of them though in the past but I can't remember what did I like because I keep thinking about all the other bands with the same name, lol.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:25 am 

So I just stumbled upon Trotyl, a band from Bulgaria that more or less plays USPM (!) with hints of Heavy and Doom mixed throughout. I can't believe I've overlooked these guys, killer riffs and a charismatic, aggressive singer. Listen to Lunatic from the 1988 single of the same name.

Oh, and Xeogred, I remember you asking for something like Solitude Aeturnus awhile ago, let me now proudly present this gem from the depths of obscurity.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
So I just stumbled upon Trotyl, a band from Bulgaria that more or less plays USPM (!) with hints of Heavy and Doom mixed throughout. I can't believe I've overlooked these guys, killer riffs and a charismatic, aggressive singer. Listen to Lunatic from the 1988 single of the same name.

Oh, and Xeogred, I remember you asking for something like Solitude Aeturnus awhile ago, let me now proudly present this gem from the depths of obscurity.

I started blasting SA before I checked MA for the day just moments ago, lol.

Listening to this directly after them... not bad, guess I can kind of see the comparison. Vocals leave a bit to be desired next to Rob though, but I guess most would heh. But seriously really cool find and it looks like their albums came out in the 2000's, pretty strange and awesome.

I love how SA's first two have this strange compact but open sound to them, probably thanks to Rob's soaring vocals. Sounds like he's up on some mountain. On the debut, sounds like he's in some dungeon pit.

Last edited by Xeogred on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:39 am 

I'm looking for the best power metal albums of the past year or two.

Specifically, I loved the work from Lorenguard, Forgotten Tales, and Ancient Bards, as well as some more well-known acts like Falconer, Stormwarrior, and Wuthering Heights, but I'm really looking for lesser-known/newer bands.

Any others that come with strong recommendations?

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:30 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just now discovered Hibria's Defying the Rules, and I'm so overloaded with metal I think I'll piss mercury and shit lead for a week or so. Really, this thing along with Messiah's Kiss first and third albums is undoubtedly the most (again) blatantly, unapologetically, proudly, amazingly MOTHERFUCKING METAL stuff I heard...

I literally have not stopped listening to that album since I first heard it several years ago. I hear it on my iPod at least one or twice a week. Fucking INCREDIBLE!

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Sometime in 2012. The album is basically finished, but I actually tuned the guitar WRONG and didn't notice until like months later. I will re-record the whole album.Vocals wasn't recorded anyway, so it's okay. The songs are a fucking blast to play guitar on! This album is probably hundred times better than the debut!

This just made my year. The debut was one of my favorite albums of last year. So much fun to listen to at high volume!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:13 am 

Operation: Mindcrime. That is all.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:34 am 

Been listening to that band Platinum a lot lately. Another one album only US metal act. Love the album. Probably a bit trad for a few of you guys, but solid pounding US metal in the vein of Lizzy Borden, Shok Paris, Malice, Banshee et al.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Platinum/41946

I need to write a review for that album, actually.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:50 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

?

He's got a point. I should listen to it again soon.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:21 am 

Operation: Mindcrime isn't very good, nor is it very metal. It's a bloated, ballad-heavy mess with a stupid story and hardly a single good riff in the whole thing. There is much, much better metal and prog rock out there. That is all.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:23 am 

*gasp!* Judas...!!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

I started blasting SA before I checked MA for the day just moments ago, lol.

Listening to this directly after them... not bad, guess I can kind of see the comparison. Vocals leave a bit to be desired next to Rob though, but I guess most would heh. But seriously really cool find and it looks like their albums came out in the 2000's, pretty strange and awesome.

I love how SA's first two have this strange compact but open sound to them, probably thanks to Rob's soaring vocals. Sounds like he's up on some mountain. On the debut, sounds like he's in some dungeon pit.

Yeah, Jane Evil (such an original name...heh) is definitely not on the same level as Rob, but she did initially remind me of him a bit. Not SA, but I was pleasantly surprised anyway to find such an obscure band to be that high in quality. I've actually been spinning SA's debut a lot lately, definitely absolutely killer stuff. I'll have to get around to hearing the second album soon.

For anyone else who's curious about Haunted by Angels (the aforementioned band), they sound sort of like a cross between SA and A Tortured Soul to me, with some power metal riffing here and there.

As to the O:M discussion, some of the songs are good to listen to here and there individually, but yeah, not that great. Better than most of Queensryche's stuff, but then that's not saying much. The only Queensryche release I really enjoy is the EP.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:07 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Operation: Mindcrime isn't very good, nor is it very metal. It's a bloated, ballad-heavy mess with a stupid story and hardly a single good riff in the whole thing. There is much, much better metal and prog rock out there. That is all.

I'll agree there's a lot of filler, but I Don't Believe in Love is a great song. Ballads are not bad because they're ballads.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 am 

Oblarg wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

I'll agree there's a lot of filler, but I Don't Believe in Love is a great song. Ballads are not bad because they're ballads.

I never said that. Albums, however, are most certainly bad when there are too many ballads. The pace needs to vary for it to remain engaging throughout, and that's simply not the case with Operation: Mindcrime.

Plus "I Don't Believe in Love" is kinda crappy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 am 

Haven't been on a Queensryche binge for a while, but O:M is classy as hell, and packs some really great tunes. "Suite Sister Mary" is just fucking nuts with how ambitious and epic it is - love the Gregorian chants. I also dig "Revolution Calling," the title track, "The Mission," "The Needle Lies," the great "Eyes of a Stranger"...if I'm in the mood for something incredibly bombastic and grandiose, this is one of the albums I'd turn to.

The Warning is also cool as hell. Great riffage going on there. "Take Hold of the Flame"? Awesome shit.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Haven't been on a Queensryche binge for a while, but O:M is classy as hell, and packs some really great tunes. "Suite Sister Mary" is just fucking nuts with how ambitious and epic it is - love the Gregorian chants. I also dig "Revolution Calling," the title track, "The Mission," "The Needle Lies," the great "Eyes of a Stranger"...if I'm in the mood for something incredibly bombastic and grandiose, this is one of the albums I'd turn to.

The Warning is also cool as hell. Great riffage going on there. "Take Hold of the Flame"? Awesome shit.

Seems like I agree with you only about 50% of the time.

This is one of those moments where I do. Whole-heartedly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 am 

If you asked me 5 years ago I would have just said the first two real songs and "I Don't Believe in Love," but really the album has much deeper, more intricate gems beneath the surface as well...basically I used to be in failsafeman's camp, but eh, the album grew on me over time.

By the way, Zelkiro, you might like the new Xandria album if you haven't heard it. It's really fucking good.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
By the way, Zelkiro, you might like the new Xandria album if you haven't heard it. It's really fucking good.

I've not heard it yet, but everyone who's listened to it seems to say the same thing, so I'll have to try it out eventually.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:50 pm 

1. The Warning
2. Rage for Order
3. Promised Land
4. S/T EP
5. Operation: Mindcrime

and the rest I couldn't care less about.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:25 pm 

While I agree that OM does have a lot of filler songs, I stick mostly to the songs Emp mentioned, and still think it's a great album. I'm particularly fond of Eyes of a Stranger.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:28 pm 

Rage for Order kind of sucks. I'm really hoping it will grow on me eventually, but it's got like 2 good songs and then a bunch of really odd experimentation...eh. Maybe someday.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:36 pm 

I'm looking for the best power metal albums of the past year or two.

Specifically, I loved the work from Lorenguard, Forgotten Tales, and Ancient Bards, as well as some more well-known acts like Falconer, Stormwarrior, and Wuthering Heights, but I'm really looking for lesser-known/newer bands.

Any others that come with strong recommendations?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:41 pm 

Rage for Order is OK. It has some good songs but some weaker ones, yeah. Overall it's like a lighter, weaker version of The Warning with some experimentation thrown in. It's not their best by a long shot but the good songs are quite good, and the bad ones are easy to skip (like the cover, yuck).

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:03 pm 

Honestly I was never a fan of Queensryche, I just like that album and a few assorted songs like Queen of the Reich. They're a pretty weak band overall. Especially the abominations they've crapped out in the past few years.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm 

Blergh as soon as I visited and saw y'all were discussing 'Ryche i knew the thread would be in for a slurry of that tired old "Mindcrime sux!" sentiment. Gimme a break.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 625  Next