Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:11 pm 

:scratch: heh, maybe my idea of Euro power is flawed eh? Well, okay then, give me more in the vein of Asgard :wink:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 pm 

Agent Steel influence you say? May have to check out Asgard. I've been obsessing over Skeptics Apocalypse and Savage Grace's Master of Disguise lately. I can't decide if Bleed for the Godz or Sins of the Damned is the greatest ever.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
:scratch: heh, maybe my idea of Euro power is flawed eh? Well, okay then, give me more in the vein of Asgard :wink:

Check out Wolf (Swe) and Wizard (Ger) if you haven't already, but they're not Euro power either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwf6VhhOAHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubz0y3gqau0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX7UoWbTYp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbZN573DKM

That's what most Euro power sounds like. Smooth vocals, often keys, often symphonic elements, some AOR/pop influence from the likes of Europe (the band) and certain distinctive riff styles, such as switching to simple chords under the vocal lines. Obviously there's variation, but when you say "Euro power", that's the kind of thing I think of.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:21 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
If you hate clean singing, well..... You're missing out on fucktons of good stuff if that's the case.

Fuck, man .. that is true.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 pm 

failsafeman about Transition wrote:
"The Watcher" is actually my favorite song on there. The title track is good, but I vastly prefer "The Watcher". Are you listening to the band-approved Joe Floyd mix, or the official mix the label did without the band's permission? There are some pretty big differences.

The Watcher is cool, as is the rest of the record, but the titletrack just does everything perfectly for me. The balance between aggression and melody, the tempo, the frantic (yet coherent) playing, the memorable vocal lines..... Everything about it just falls perfectly in place for me.

As for the production..... Honestly, I didn't know there were two versions of the album. What are the differences between the two?
Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
If you hate clean singing, well..... You're missing out on fucktons of good stuff if that's the case.

Fuck, man .. that is true.

Yeah. I wonder if the people who say that only dislike clean singing when used in metal, or if they hate it in general. If the latter is true, then I guess one has to feel sad for them :-P

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
As for the production..... Honestly, I didn't know there were two versions of the album. What are the differences between the two?

Perry Grayson's blog goes into some detail about what the differences are, but they're really obvious if you compare them. It's not just guitar tone, mix, etc., it's also stuff like making the screams in "The Watcher" not sound like metalcore screams (they're not supposed to) and other similar changes.

http://unvanquishablefalcon.blogspot.co ... s-mix.html

Scroll down for the links, but the article itself is an interesting inside look at the intra-band politics.

Hanwuti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 am 

Hello. I was wondering if you guys could help me. I'm looking for some Power Metal that is uber fast with blasting tempos but I'm not into the whole Balls to the Walls Power Metal like Hibria right now. I guess I'm looking for Hibria but way cheesier.

Thanks, guys. :)

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
That's what most Euro power sounds like. Smooth vocals, often keys, often symphonic elements, some AOR/pop influence from the likes of Europe (the band) and certain distinctive riff styles, such as switching to simple chords under the vocal lines. Obviously there's variation, but when you say "Euro power", that's the kind of thing I think of.

Thanks Failsafe, seems I had some misconceptions there. I would put anything Power metal based from europe under the Euro tag but see now there is a difference. I really liked some of the stuff Wizard put out and the speed and riffs were what I enjoy, but man, some of those lyrics haha. I know of wolf and like some of there stuff. Guess I am more into the thrashy/speed influenced power metal as opposed to the keyboard laden, aor type stuff. Timelord is a good example, just found them earlier today and they are awesome.

Actually, Just found this band on bandcamp called Gladius earlier. Very, very, thrashy power metal with a high pitched vocals, and riffs straight out of the 80's. Check it out.

http://gladiuspdx.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:20 pm 

@Failsafeman; thanks for that link, man. Grayson's post is a rather fascinating read, yes. These guys went through quite the odyssey, it seems. I'll check out the links later though, because fuck my computer :crash:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:44 pm 

Hanwuti wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if you guys could help me. I'm looking for some Power Metal that is uber fast with blasting tempos but I'm not into the whole Balls to the Walls Power Metal like Hibria right now. I guess I'm looking for Hibria but way cheesier.

Thanks, guys. :)

Advanced search -> power metal + Italy

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:46 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
I am looking for singer who has similar voice to Midnight or Daniel Heiman. It doesn't have to be exactly the same timbre but same singing style and range. What would you recommend for a guy who wants new Lost Horizon-like work?

John K in Balance of Power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ2Jf0Re1RY

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 am 

Man two albums have been absolutely doing it for me lately, I'm not listening to much else. Persuader's "Evolution Purgatory" which I had heard previously and thought it was pretty cool, but now I can't stop listening to. Nice thrashy fast stuff with great vocals. Those fucking choruses man, dayem they're catchy.

The other one is Fifth Angel's self titled which i previously thought was pretty cool USPM. Now I'd rate it up there with the best, just classy pure stuff.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 am 

Manilla Road - "Mysterium" review from the good folk at Blabbermouth;
http://www.blabbermouth.net/showreview. ... iewID=2508

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:49 am 

Opus wrote:

This guy..... Is he Geoff Tate's lost son or something?

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:49 pm 

Totally seconding failsafe's comments on Destiny's End 'Transition'. The "unofficial but actually original" mix by Floyd utterly destroys that of the official release, Grayson's post is a great read, and "The Watcher" steals the show on that album, although "Transition" is also one of their best songs. In any case, the first two tracks are way ahead of the rest, songwriting wise. The other songs are not bad, but nowhere near on par with these two. Also, fuck Xlxlx's computer indeed (because why not?). :D

I'm seriously digging that Wolf (SE) and the Priestess, failsafe (not so sure about "indie heavy metal", but Priestess does have a bit of a QOTSA aftertaste). Thanks for those! The Wizard (DE), not so much; and even though they're certainly below average in goofiness and above average in oomph, I'd definitely consider those guys EuroPM. I can sniff a riffless Santa Chorus (and even more so, a riffless Santa bridge/pre-chorus) from many miles; there's no fooling the Santa-dar, man! :D That shit is a more muscular, lively (early) HammerFall, basically, closer to all those recent EuroPM bands with Dragon, Quest, Hammer and/or Skull in their name than to any other form of power metal, I'd say. Good stuff for what it is, though.

Thanks Failsafe, seems I had some misconceptions there. I would put anything Power metal based from europe under the Euro tag but see now there is a difference.

Yop, it's akin to assuming only Bay Area thrash comes out of the Bay Area, and it can be found nowhere else (could also cite NWoBritishHM). Those are initially location-specific descriptors that no longer make any sense location wise, since the scenes referrenced fairly much took the world by storm by now. South America is thriving with EuroPM bands, for instance, just like you've got a number of bands from Europe who, like the Asgard (IT) you linked to, happen to play USPM, simply put.

Actually, Just found this band on bandcamp called Gladius earlier. Very, very, thrashy power metal with a high pitched vocals, and riffs straight out of the 80's. Check it out.

Early Slayer meets modern-day Hirax. Together, they shall emulate mid-period Helstar and current Satan's Host. Odd, but pretty damn promising. :metal: :nods:

Jonpo wrote:
Agent Steel influence you say? May have to check out Asgard. I've been obsessing over Skeptics Apocalypse and Savage Grace's Master of Disguise lately. I can't decide if Bleed for the Godz or Sins of the Damned is the greatest ever.

My man! Have a virtual beer, they're the best (and healthiest): :beer:
I would have to say that the Italian Asgard has more Helstar influence than it does Agent Steel, though. (Doesn't matter much, as both are godly and thus good to have as an influence).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:21 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

My man! Have a virtual beer, they're the best (and healthiest): :beer:

Just checking; you do know Enforcer, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z84R019CaY

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 pm 

Opus wrote:
Just checking; you do know Enforcer, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z84R019CaY

I knew their debut, but not the follow-up you linked to. That's good stuff. Retro-"80s metal" all the way, with a palpable conviction and energy in spades to match the nostalgia-ridden inspiration. Their style comes across as a bit too deliberate/formulaic, though, what with all the direct Maiden/Tank/Fate/Stormwitch/Hallow's Eve/you-name-it quotations and the fact that each and every element is overly traceable (as in, you can pinpoint the exact song/record/band/scene/era every single thing actively emulates/worships, down to the "yeahs" and the way the songs end). Certainly great for what it is, though, somewhere along the lines of a Rocka Rollas or, heh, a Blazon Stone. I fail to see the connection (if any) with Agent Steel or Savage Grace, however.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:03 am 

So..... The Floyd mix for Transition is most certainly superior to the "official" one. Infinitely more organic, with more personality and just plain better. Maybe it's not as punchy as the other version, but it more than makes up for it with actual attitude.

Sunslash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 am 

Sooo, did anyone listen to Gamma Ray's new EP ?
Load of half-good covers and live versions, but the two new songs are easily the best they have written in years. Maybe Kai will finally do a good album again !

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 am 

^ Color me intrigued, albeit still cautious as all hell (yeah, it's a pretty delicate color :p ). Will try to give it a listen if I can. Cheers.

Sunslash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
^ Color me intrigued, albeit still cautious as all hell (yeah, it's a pretty delicate color :p ). Will try to give it a listen if I can. Cheers.

To be completely honest, it's still far from Somewhere out in Space quality. They are good songs, but it's easy to do better than anything on the last two GR albums that isn't called Insurrection.

Last edited by Sunslash on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:03 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
I fail to see the connection (if any) with Agent Steel or Savage Grace, however.

I just thought Asgard sounded a lot like Enforcer

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 am 

The mix for Transition is definitely awesome, pretty much in line with Crescent Shield's production sound, and what I wish most modern metal sounded like.

Still cracks me up that Rivera wise, Destiny's End easily blows modern Helstar clear out of the water. Those new albums aren't the worst I've heard, but I can't say I really care to ever go back to them. Unlike Helstar's early classics that are timeless and really set the bar for a lot of things. Just like above, how many times have we made comparisons in favor to Helstar? And it's obvious everyone always means their old sound, not this modern chuggy stuff they're doing now. Some USPM bands have reformed and put out some worse stuff, but yeah Helstar really aren't Helstar anymore in my eyes.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:34 pm 

Sunslash wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:

To be completely honest, it's still far from Somewhere out in Space quality. They are good songs, but it's easy to do better than anything on the last two GR albums that isn't called Insurrection.

They really lost me with that last full length. It was a major disappointment, so I'm hoping the blokes have it in them to do another good record.

I feel like everything after Land of the Free and Somewhere out in Space kept declining in quality. I really don't get the love for Powerplant, for example.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:30 pm 

Opus wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:
I fail to see the connection (if any) with Agent Steel or Savage Grace, however.

I just thought Asgard sounded a lot like Enforcer

Seriously? Well, there's a dozen different bands called Asgard, so my best guess is that you had another one in mind. The one we were talking about after The_Apex_of_Collapse linked to one of their songs here is the very recent Italian power/speed band, who sounds like Primal Fear if they suddenly decided to switch from "modernized" Painkiller worship to "modernized" USPM worship. That's extremely far removed from a band like Enforcer, whose sound is quite tame and controlled compared to this, and whose songwriting, arrangement and production chops are so ahead of Asgard, they're out of their sight (even though I already think Enforcer is a bit lacking in personality). Hear for yourself: two power chords and some attitude versus layers upon layers of subtle elements and some passion; that's very different to my ears, bro.

Re: Gamma Ray, fuck me! What the hell have they been thinking since their latest full-length stinker? Another lame-ass compilation, followed by a pure filler EP, yet another double-live CD/DVD/whatever, and now yet another lame-ass EP mostly made of fillers, re-recordings and openly recycled material? I see it's no longer just riffs and lyrics Kai rips off of Manowar's corpse, now. Color me just like this guy: :tongue:

Sunslash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:09 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Re: Gamma Ray, fuck me! What the hell have they been thinking since their latest full-length stinker? Another lame-ass compilation, followed by a pure filler EP, yet another double-live CD/DVD/whatever, and now yet another lame-ass EP mostly made of fillers, re-recordings and openly recycled material? I see it's no longer just riffs and lyrics Kai rips off of Manowar's corpse, now. Color me just like this guy: :tongue:

Yeah, I can't understand how they've constantly managed to dissappoint since Majestic, with their last album being one of the worst POS to ever come from Germany. A shame really, since they still have it when they play live.
Again, I'm hoping their next album will be decent. I actually liked the title track on the EP.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 pm 

"I Want Out, Take 64 - Once More, With Even Less Feeling"? I'll pass, but don't let me keep you from enjoying it, dude. The other track is just plain, dry, and plain dry, though, so I can see how "Master of Confusion" would be the "highlight" in there, though. "Highlight". Wink wink. :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:19 pm 

Gamma Ray is pretty boring in general. I enjoy them in very small doses, and I like the spirit and energy they used to have, but eh not a very interesting band most of the time.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:01 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, I have everything they've put out so far, I definitely like them. They tend to pick pretty cool sources for their lyrics. Colossus are sort of in this new emergent mini-genre that I call "indie heavy metal," in that they play straight-up heavy metal but with indie rock influence. It's especially apparent in the vocal style, but also in some of the chord progressions, odd harmonies, and lyrics based on our generation's fantasy, sci-fi, etc. Other bands would be Priestess (second album) and Pitts vs. Preps.

While indie rock + heavy metal sounds pretty bad on paper, the bands I've heard actually tend to turn out quite good, and definitely aren't interested in hopping on the bandwagon for money like a lot of the more hipster metal bands seem to be - Priestess for example got a big burst of initial success with their first album (I think they even had a song on some Guitar Hero game) and got signed to RCA, but when they dropped a lot of the stoner side of their sound for the followup in favor of more trad heavy metal, RCA refused to release it because it wasn't commercial enough. Instead of changing to keep the major label contract, Priestess stuck to their guns, dumped RCA, and went back to their old label. Anyway it's a pretty interesting mini-trend with a lot of potential.

Yeah I really enjoy Priestess's newer album, will have to check these other bands out.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:09 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Gamma Ray is pretty boring in general. I enjoy them in very small doses, and I like the spirit and energy they used to have, but eh not a very interesting band most of the time.

The first five albums are anything but boring (and, for the most part, the side material thereof; except 'Silent Miracles', fuck that). Rocking and full of life, that stuff is extremely varied yet consistently well-inspired, finely crafted, and tremendously fun. I've listened to those albums, what, 2 or 3 billion times each, by now, and I have yet to ever be bored doing so, dude. Post-Keepers EuroPM the way it should be.

Now, from 'Power Plant' on, that's another story (although a handful of tracks are still great and mostly their own, on PP). Upon the release of NWO, "Boring" became the band's middle-name. That's what the "B." stands for in Stagnant B. McRipoffs, sir. But don't let that tarnish the brilliant run they've had throughout the 90s.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 am 

I actually haven't heard the pre-Kai-singing albums, but eh, like I said, nothing of theirs is really terribly interesting to me anymore. It's not bad or anything, but I guess it's just a matter of what I got into first - I ended up enjoying less and less standard power metal over the years, and moved away from the style that GR pioneered more and more.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 am 

I've heard Heading for Tomorrow, Land of the Free, Somewhere Out in Space, Powerplant and No World Order. Only Land of the Free is any good, to be honest, and even then it's mostly just the great opening track. Kai Hansen just turned into a really boring songwriter, as far as I'm concerned. I'll take any of the other major German bands over them.

Shitty Holocaust cover on that EP, too. Does a classic, raw NWOBHM song really need a bunch of "Betcha can't play this" glossy power metal noodling over it?

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 am 

To be fair, they only really started being "standard" power metal when Kai took over vocal duties permanently. The albums with Scheepers were more out there, with quite a bit of prog rock and hard/heavy elements, and a spontaneous, organic feel. Hmm, for some reason there's virtually nothing but crap and dead links on YT for them, right now, so the best I can link to is "Heal Me", a very moody, somewhat epic ballad, which you might already know (it's from the Scheepers era, but with Kai on vocals). But man, stuff like "Dream Healer", "Changes", "As Time Goes By", "Future Madhouse" or "Insanity & Genius" is fairly unique, and awesome. Ah, found a decent link for a lost gem (for Empy only — ANA, keep away!): "Sail on".

And yes, I agree they should have kept away from Holocaust. Their 1995 cover version of "Heavy Metal Mania" had already missed the point of the original material enough for one career.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:54 pm 

"Sail On" was decent, yeah...more energetic and fresh than the new shit for sure.

Man, those two new songs are lame, both of them. Really disposable sounding stuff.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm 

Glad you didn't dislike it. I wish I could give you a taste of 'Sigh no More', I'd be surprised if it weren't your cup of tea.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 pm 

The fuck is up with Visions of Atlantis' new album cover? Not only is it not in the usual awesome style, but it's just downright shitty.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Vi ... era/364489

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:07 am 

Gamma Ray's "Land Of The Free" really is a classic PM record. Come on now guys!
"Somewhere Out In Space" is just as good too...haven't ventured beyond that though.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:42 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The fuck is up with Visions of Atlantis' new album cover? Not only is it not in the usual awesome style, but it's just downright shitty.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Vi ... era/364489

You might not like it, you might be disappointed that its style and technique stray too far away from the established canon of VoA cover artwork... but this is a pretty decent drawing. Okay, I certainly wouldn't have placed the marble statue's head where it is, because it outright fucks the perspective and unnecessarily distracts from the main character, but apart from that, it's fine by me.

I had no idea there was a new VoA coming, by the way, so thanks for letting me know. Funny how whoever added it to MA already knows the technicians who produced, mixed and mastered the album, but is apparently clueless as to the actual band's lineup, though. :lol:

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:25 am 

Stuff similar to Swedish Wolf and first 2 Enforcer releases? Even heavy metal bands like Portrait and Attic ?

P.S :- I absolute hate modern power metal and hate it when the band goes overboard with the keys and extreme melodic elements. I do however love old power metal bands like Jag Panzer etc.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 am 

I actually think "No World Order" is my favorite from Gamma Ray. Other releases have some bigger standout tracks, but I think this one is pretty consistently solid.

Can't stand the first three, never liked Ralf anyways. But yeah this stuff is like no better than Helloween's "Pink Bubbles" whatever to me.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 624  Next