Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:11 am 

Rosenthorn wrote:
If anyone here is into fast, heavy, symphonically (is that a word?) tinged metal with serious balls, I can highly recommend the Greek band Crosswind. It's all about the riffs, the symphonic stuff is really just to add a bit more of an epic quality to it, which I really enjoy, considering the large number of bands who do it the other way around and base the riffs on the symphony. Oh, and the singer has a great voice (although maybe he uses his head voice a bit too much). I found this band by clicking the "random band" link here a bunch, and this one has honestly impressed me the most of the bands I've found through that method.

Crosswind - Vicious Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIR0CPhY0g

PS, I'm pretty much brand new here, so hi! Hopefully I will stick around!

I have the "Opposing Forces / Beyond" compilation which is great, I've mentioned it a few times on here. I was horribly disappointed when "Vicious Dominion" was released. Its extremely weak in comparison to their old stuff.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:44 am 

The Animator wrote:
Rosenthorn wrote:
If anyone here is into fast, heavy, symphonically (is that a word?) tinged metal with serious balls, I can highly recommend the Greek band Crosswind. It's all about the riffs, the symphonic stuff is really just to add a bit more of an epic quality to it, which I really enjoy, considering the large number of bands who do it the other way around and base the riffs on the symphony. Oh, and the singer has a great voice (although maybe he uses his head voice a bit too much). I found this band by clicking the "random band" link here a bunch, and this one has honestly impressed me the most of the bands I've found through that method.

Crosswind - Vicious Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIR0CPhY0g

PS, I'm pretty much brand new here, so hi! Hopefully I will stick around!

I have the "Opposing Forces / Beyond" compilation which is great, I've mentioned it a few times on here. I was horribly disappointed when "Vicious Dominion" was released. Its extremely weak in comparison to their old stuff.

Good to know. I'm of the opinion that Vicious Dominion is a fairly solid album, especially the riffs (perhaps it needs a bit of work chorus-wise, but I never felt that was the focus while listening, as opposed to bands that are all about the buildup to an epic chorus), so to know they've got something even better is great. I'll have to keep an eye out for/search up on youtube Opposing Forces/Beyond.

Obey the dolphin!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:18 am 

Top 3 VS songs? I never could get into them.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 am 

Plenty could go wrong with the new Virgin Steele album. I just hope they manage to redeem themselves this time.

On roooar.com I found songtitles of their upcoming album. I really wouldn't know what to expect from these at all. Queen of the Dead? To Darkness Eternal? Lucifer's Hammer? :lol: Sounds generic yet metal-as-fuck to me. Gives me the idea we won't be in for another silly overlong album but something more superficial and straightforward instead. Cool to see that one disc of the Ghost Harvest stuff got put inside the second disc. Definitely curious about hearing those. The Black Sabbath cover could be interesting, too.

Spoiler: show
The band VIRGIN STEELE will release their new CD entitled "Nocturnes Of Hellfire & Damnation (Limited Edition)" on 2015-06-22 via STEAMHAMMER

Tracklisting:
CD 1:
1. Lucifer's Hammer
2. Queen Of The Dead
3. To Darkness Eternal
4. Black Sun-Black Mass
5. Persephone
6. Devilhead
7. Demolition Queen
8. The Plague And The Fire
9. We Disappear
10. A Damned Apparition
11. Glamour
12. Delirium
13. Hymns To Damnation
14. Fallen Angels

CD 2:
1. Halloween Theme
2. D.O.A.
3. The Witch In The Forest
4. Black Sabbath
5. The Immigrant Song
6. Black Sabbath "Reprise"
7. Riderless Horse (Save Your Breath)
8. The Devil Drives
9. Anger Never Dies
10. Funeral Games
11. The Plot Sickenth
12. Haunted Wolfshine
13. West Of Sumer
14. A Greater Burning Of Innocence
15. The Birth Of Beauty

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:09 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Okay, I'll bite.

Life Among the Ruins, the album closer from Marriage I. Amazing closer, has great buildup to the chorus which is one of the greatest things of all time. YOU WERE A ROSE, YOU WERE A BLADE! Just nothing to dislike about this song at all.

Child of Desolation, this one is a ballad, but it's up there with shit like MC's "Waiting for a Savior" in contention for best fucking ballad ever, just so melancholic and mournful, perfect.

Kingdom of the Fearless, from Atreus I like CoD is, this one is just an epic as fuck opener, galloping forward with equal parts venom and majesty and just rolling over everything in its way. The song that got me into VS and perhaps still my favorite song of theirs.

Of course there are plenty of others to choose from even among the best of VS's catalog, and "Emalaith" and "Veni Vidi Vici" are definitely up there for me as well but with both clocking in at 10-11 minutes I didn't want to be too intimidating. Just one of the best heavy metal bands to come around, and their 'classic' string in the 90s is probably the best string of 5 albums ever consecutively released by any band, ever. \m/

Re: song titles for new album - the titles on disc 1 actually look decent, although of course it's impossible to tell much of anything just from that. However, fuck needing to have 2 discs. They keep saying they're going to release all these huge albums constantly and then never release anything, just release 1 album of 1 disc that's decent quality, damnit!

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:14 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Re: song titles for new album - the titles on disc 1 actually look decent, although of course it's impossible to tell much of anything just from that. However, fuck needing to have 2 discs. They keep saying they're going to release all these huge albums constantly and then never release anything, just release 1 album of 1 disc that's decent quality, damnit!

Right on the money. I'll believe they actually have a new album when I'm listening to it, and not a second before that. Though it SEEMS like they really are releasing something now...song titles look pretty solid.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:20 am 

As long as it's a bonus (which it is) I don't see anything wrong with another disc of music. I might as well pick up this version instead of one disc version.

That is, if the album actually comes out this time! :P

''Crown of Glory'' and ''Child of Desolation'' are my favorite VS tunes. Others from their 1994-2000 era are amazing too, there's just too many to mention which would depend on my mood.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:35 pm 

A lot of people overlook Invictus, but in my opinion it's just as good as the ones that came before and after. It's a more "epic" than the Marriage albums, but more song-based than the Atreus albums. It strikes a good middle ground, and I'd say is probably the best album to get first, just because it gives the best picture of their overall sound without putting new fans off with interludes and top-heavy concepts like the Atreus albums have. Marriage pt. II is still my favorite, but Invictus is a close second (despite the slightly wonky production).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:13 pm 

I've got to say that the guitartone on Invictus and the House of Atreus series bug me slightly more nowadays. They're just a bit too dry sounding at times while the guitartone on the Marriage series sounded thick, full and really rich. I wish Edward had never abandoned that one.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:56 pm 

Don't be all colin about it, nothing is perfect.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:24 pm 

You know what? Phantom's Cyberchrist might be even better than any Vicious Rumors album (and they don't make me type in American English). Hell, I might even like Falcon Eddie better than Carl Albert.

As for Invictus being overlooked, I always thought it was their most popular album... maybe not here, but you could never call it overlooked.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:34 pm 

Oh yeah, Invictus definitely rules pretty hard. I like Marriage II quite a bit more and Marriage I slightly more than it, but I actually think the production is kind of cool, at least for some of the songs that are more "barrage of riffs in your face," mostly on the first half of the album like the title track, and "Sword of the Gods." I guess it doesn't work quite as well with the moodier numbers like "A Whisper of Death" (guess there really aren't many moody numbers here?) but I never even really notice it, so it doesn't detract much for me. "Dominion Day" is pretty meh and "Defiance" seems a little underdeveloped, but on the whole it's fantastic. Great flow, and manages to produce a fair amount of musical variation despite being probably the most aggressive album overall.

Re: Cyberchrist - I'm probably in the mood for that album more often than for most Vicious Rumors, but I'm not sure I'd say it's straight up better than Digital Dictator or Welcome to the Ball. It's much more in your face and ball-ripping, but DD and WttB change up the pace more often and provide a more complete experience I think. I wouldn't put one squarely above the other (i.e. CC vs. DD or CC vs. WttB) as they require different moods but both are top-shelf awesome stuff for sure.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:35 pm 

Thanks for the recs Jophelerx.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:37 pm 

No problem bro. Let us know what you think! I'm sure the regulars would welcome an addition to the Virgin Steele circle jerk. :D

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:50 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
You know what? Phantom's Cyberchrist might be even better than any Vicious Rumors album (and they don't make me type in American English). Hell, I might even like Falcon Eddie better than Carl Albert.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but Phantom is definitely A-level stuff. They were just wayyyy too late to get any real popularity, unfortunately. Be sure to check out the second album too, it's not as consistent but its high points are amazing.

Acrobat wrote:
As for Invictus being overlooked, I always thought it was their most popular album... maybe not here, but you could never call it overlooked.

Nah, I just meant it's overlooked among our group here, doesn't get brought up in discussion nearly as much as the two before or two after.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:51 pm 

Barging into the Virgin Steele discussion a bit late, but Invictus is my favorite album of theirs by a looooonnnnng shot. So many great tracks, especially the title track and "Veni, Vidi, Vici."

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:31 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

colin040 wrote:
Queen of the Dead? To Darkness Eternal? Lucifer's Hammer?

I'd second the recommendation of the 'Life Among the Ruins' track, also worthwhile could be 'Agony and Shame' and 'The Evil in Her Eyes' for something earlier on, as it were. 'Garden of Lamentation' is also a pretty great song. Their albums are quite varied, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:36 am 

Metantoine wrote:
That your taste sucks balls :)

Pretty decent Russian power/thrash, made me think of Rage and Communic.

I love Rage and Communic but man those riffs are crap. You got me all excited :(
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:37 am 

Yeah wtf, those riffs sound borderline djent-ish.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:48 am 

Tony's taste also sucks balls, let's be fair. :P

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:51 am 

How does HPS feel about the new Tribulation?
Its obviously not pure HPS but the new album basically is a more extreme metal take on In Solitude's Sister. Got plenty of classic metal elements.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:06 am 

My favorite VS song for a while has been I Will Come For You, I'm not sure what other VS fans think of it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 pm 

So far I dig this Tribulation. This is coming from someone who hasn't heard their other albums yet. The thing sounds like a dark yet somewhat retained piece of work. I wish the guitar tone had more edge to it though.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:58 pm 

What's the general consensus on Warlord around here? Are they up there with Jag Panzer, Omen, Brocas Helm etc, or more of a 3rd stringer as far as USPM goes?

Also, I'm sure you guys have discussed it at length already, but I'm checking out the Visigoth album and I am really really impressed. This vocalist is excellent, has a lot of restraint and a knack for melodies that just sound... right. Every cadence leaves me impressed and nodding my head in approval. He meshes really well with the guitar melodies. This is probably the best revival-style power metal album I've heard so far.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:06 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
What's the general consensus on Warlord around here? Are they up there with Jag Panzer, Omen, Brocas Helm etc, or more of a 3rd stringer as far as USPM goes?

I really like Warlord, but unlike the majority of posters I've seen on the subject here, my favorite Warlord release is their newest The Holy Empire. Just excellent epic heavy metal, and was my favorite release of 2013. I also quite like Delivers Us and Rising Out of the Ashes, but I don't listen to either much anymore. I've only downloaded and listened to the And the Cannons... studio album a couple times, but I've enjoyed it each time. I'm (im)patiently waiting for Alone Records to reissue it.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:58 pm 

I dig Warlord (and Lordian Guard), but for me, they fit a different sort of mood than those bands. I might place them a bit more in the epic heavy metal camp than USPM, I think.

I still need to check out that Visigoth album. I haven't heard anything from them since I checked out their demo on virtue of "oh, the Gallowbraid guy is playing (or singing, rather) USPM nowadays? that sure isn't what I expected!" and I forget what I even thought about it.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:25 pm 

Warlord is okay, and they have some pretty solid songs here and there, but consistency of riffs on the level of Omen and Brocas Helm definitely isn't there. Honestly I think they're really overrated by a lot of people; they can be fun, but are low 2nd tier at best and more likely 3rd tier. Those who list them as one of the 'USPM classics' really make me scratch my head, but then there's other stuff like Savatage which is also praised as top-tier which I find mediocre, so just different strokes I guess.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Jophelerx wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:12 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
I dig Warlord (and Lordian Guard)

Lordian Guard is fucking awesome. The first album is one of my all time favorite albums.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:32 pm 

I keep forgetting about Lordian Guard (I am pretty sure you're the person who introduced me to them).
A really interesting and unusual band that somehow keeps falling through the cracks of my mind.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:10 am 

Visigoth is awesome indeed, but I don't want to say they're perfect yet, I think they can get even better. Give them room to grow!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:19 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:

3rd stringer. They just don't have the consistency to be more than that, although an album full of their best songs could put them in a strong 2nd-tier position if they had been able to pull that off. It does come across more as epic heavy metal with some USPM than straight USPM though, more like Tyrant or Brocas Helm than Jag Panzer or Crimson Glory.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 am 

I recently found these guys while browsing aimlessly on youtube, they're Venezuelan, and play somewhat progressive, fast, symphonic power metal. I was blown away, some great stuff here.

I'll let the music speak for itself: http://www.reverbnation.com/aphelium

So far they've only released that three track demo, hopefully we'll see more from them in the future.

Obey the dolphin!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:20 am 

WARLORD are a 3rd stringer? I can't believe I'm hearing this.

They're first rate without a doubt.

Their drumming and guitar playing has few peers, both in composition/taste and musicianship.

Not to mention they have their own distinct style in the very crowded field of heavy/power metal.

"Deliver Us" is a complete masterpiece.

They are FAR superior to JAG PANZER, OMEN, TYRANT, BROCAS HELM, and most any others.

Their reunion stuff is hit or miss, which is par for the course with even the best metal reunions.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:48 pm 

I can't remember a certain band name and need help. I only remember that one of their
(two) album covers was white, had a big bloody chainsaw drawing (with blues and blacks)
on it and the band's name was possibly made up of two words. They were an 80s band
and IIRC playing some kind of metalpunk… (not sure on this). Any ideas?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:29 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bl ... %21/438435

I still want to hear it. Never found a copy at a reasonable price.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:21 pm 

Blood Money are really good, yeah. Sort of a weird hybrid of thrash and NWOBHM with awesome brassy vocals, a bit like Russ North on steroids.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:46 am 

Thanks, Jonpo! :) Exactly what I was looking for! Brain is at ease now...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:17 am 

Just came across Onward while looking at the past work of Michael Grant. Evermoving got some decent reviews. So far it sounds pretty good, but not amazing. I'm so used to power metal singers having those crazy highs, Grant seems subdued by comparison. Strong singer, if not the widest range. Curious if anyone here as any thoughts on them, or on power metal with that same mid-range singing while you're at it.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:18 am 

"Evermoving" is a masterpiece in my book. Amazing riffs and melodies. One of the best metal albums of the last 20 years. Grant's strength is in his melodies/harmonies, not his range which frankly is a breath of fresh air in the power metal scene.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:59 pm 

I quite like Warlord and even The Holy Empire was better than i expected.
Lordian Guard sounds a bit too much like greek wedding metal to me with those keyboard drums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476 ... 625  Next