Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:08 pm 

Well, what marks the different is the fact tha Sabbath later came back in full swing with Heaven and Hell once Dio entered the picture, whereas the likes of Metallica and Megadeth never made a full recovery, quality wise.

And sorry mate, but NSD is still shitty for what it is, doom or not :-P

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, what marks the different is the fact that, besides those albums failing on a critical and commercial level, Sabbath later came back in full swing with Heaven and Hell once Dio entered the picture, whereas the likes of Metallica and Megadeth never made a full recovery, quality wise.

And sorry mate, but NSD is still shitty for what it is, doom or not :-P

But even nobody who only likes the first six albums accuses them of selling out with TE or NSD.

And tell me, pray tell, what is so bad about NSD aside from the fact it's not very metal? I DARE anyone to find more than one LEGITIMATE fault with Shock Wave. The fault I'm allowing is the "ooh ooh, ooh ooh"s at the ending section, though I still like them.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:18 pm 

I myself like NSD except for the last two tracks, and Technical Ecstasy except for She's Gone, and while I'll definitely agree that they're not half as good as any that came before or since, they don't feel like a "selling out" at all, just a band growing tired and unsure of themselves. TE sounds rather half-assed not least in the production, and NSD is like they just thought "fuck it" and had a nostalgia trip into their jazzy roots.
And for my input, I find TE to be like a lesser image of SBS or Sabotage - still some decent riffs and songs in there here and there IMO, just poorly executed, whereas I think the strength of NSD is precisely how unSabbath it is, with tuneful uplifting songs, even if they sound like they're completely uncommitted to them. Just the outright jazzy parts and how completely messy Swinging the Chain sounds really turn me off.

But if anything I'd say that Heaven and Hell (the album that is) is much more fitting the bill for "selling out" - a big band updating their sound to the style budding in popularity at the time despite how (relatively) unlike that sound was to what they were known for? The main difference here though is that it's a damn quality slab of heavy metal whether it sounds like the rest of the contemporary metal scene or Sabbath or not, so it "earns its place" whether they were trying to get in on the trends or not (though alternatively it's just down to Dio's more melodic and grandiose influence anyhow; it is of course not all that unlike Rainbow).

Last edited by teh_Foxx0rz on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:22 pm 

Yeah, I wouldn't call Heaven and Hell selling out in any way. It's exactly as you said; the result of Dio entering the fold and giving the band a brighter, more bombastic tinge in the process. Guy like that getting a hand in the songwriting department? Of course their sound wasn't gonna remain the same.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
I myself like NSD except for the last two tracks, and Technical Ecstasy except for She's Gone, and while I'll definitely agree that they're not half as good as any that came before or since, they don't feel like a "selling out" at all, just a band growing tired and unsure of themselves. TE sounds rather half-assed not least in the production, and NSD is like they just thought "fuck it" and had a nostalgia trip into their jazzy roots.
And for my input, I find TE to be like a lesser image of SBS or Sabotage - still some decent riffs and songs in there here and there IMO, just poorly executed, whereas I think the strength of NSD is precisely how unSabbath it is, with tuneful uplifting songs, even if they sound like they're completely uncommitted to them. Just the outright jazzy parts and how completely messy Swinging the Chain sounds really turn me off.

But if anything I'd say that Heaven and Hell (the album that is) is much more fitting the bill for "selling out" - a big band updating their sound to the style budding in popularity at the time despite how (relatively) unlike that sound was to what they were known for? The main difference here though is that it's a damn quality slab of heavy metal whether it sounds like the rest of the contemporary metal scene or Sabbath or not, so it "earns its place" whether they were trying to get in on the trends or not (though alternatively it's just down to Dio's more melodic and grandiose influence anyhow; it is of course not all that unlike Rainbow).

I can only kind of agree with "I find TE to be like a lesser image of SBS or Sabotage" for a few tracks, those being Back Street Kids, You Won't Change Me, and Dirty Women. Stuff like She's Gone, It's Alright, Rock and Rock n Roll doctor, and Gypsy are nowhere near SBS or Sabotage. I don't even remember All Moving Parts (Stand Still), so I can't comment on it.

I agree that a part of the strengths of NSD is the uplifting tunes. That's precisely what I meant by people hate it because it's not heavy doom and gloom. A lot of the songs are uplifting. But they are good songs if uplifting rock songs appeal to you. I definitely disagree with you that they don't sound committed to it though. I have a feeling you're just saying that in hindsight, having seen/read interviews where some of the band members (particularly Ozzy) really WERE'NT committed to it. But if you ask me, you wouldn't know it from their performances. "Outright jazzy parts" that goes back to my point of hating it because it's not heavy doom and gloom. I don't get what you're saying about Swinging the Chain. I always (from the second listen on) really liked that song, including Bill Ward's vocals. I heard NSD before TE, and when I heard TE, I was greatly disappointed Bill sounded nowhere near like on Swinging the Chain on It's Alright.

It's funny that you say Heaven and Hell is closer to a sellout album than the two preceding albums. Even though I've never seen anyone use the term "sellout" to describe it, Most "Ozzy era only" people are Ozzy era only because they say Sabbath was no long unique and was just playing what all the other bands were playing. But I ask you, who were they copying? This was the SAME EXACT YEAR that Wheels of Steel, Iron Maiden, Blizzard of Ozz, Back in Black, and British Steel came out. Is it really reasonable to claim that they were bandwagoning on sounds that didn't happen until around the same time they were doing it themselves?

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Disagree entirely. the only two songs I like on The Devil You Know, despite me being enough of a fan of doom metal to have the genre in my screen name, are the up tempo ones: Eating the Cannibals and Neverwhere. I like three songs from 13 to a similar degree: God is Dead, Loner, and Zeitgeist. Still, I think the lesser songs from 13, which are decent but not that great, are better than the lesser songs from The Devil You Know, which are flat out boring. And there are less of them on 13 than on The Devil You Know (not counting the bonus disc).

I think the disappointment I experienced from first listening to The Devil You Know will forever ONLY be rivaled by the disappointed I experienced from first hearing St. Anger. Not that The Devil You Know is anywhere near as bad as St. Anger, but my expectations for The Devil You Know were over the moon, as I have always been a big fan of Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer. But The Devil You Know sucked.

I feel the same way about TDYK. Like you, my expectations were sky high. I've idolized Ronnie James Dio for decades and I fucking loved the 3 previous Dio-Sabbath albums.

And then I heard those meandering songs, one after the other. Lifeless, colorless, indistinguishable from one another. Instead of Sabbath, it was like hearing a Candlemass imitator.

I myself like 13. It's much better at being actually Sabbath than TDYK, it has better songwriting, more variety and a more interesting rhythm section.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:24 am 

Riffs wrote:
Disagree entirely. the only two songs I like on The Devil You Know, despite me being enough of a fan of doom metal to have the genre in my screen name, are the up tempo ones: Eating the Cannibals and Neverwhere. I like three songs from 13 to a similar degree: God is Dead, Loner, and Zeitgeist. Still, I think the lesser songs from 13, which are decent but not that great, are better than the lesser songs from The Devil You Know, which are flat out boring. And there are less of them on 13 than on The Devil You Know (not counting the bonus disc).

I think the disappointment I experienced from first listening to The Devil You Know will forever ONLY be rivaled by the disappointed I experienced from first hearing St. Anger. Not that The Devil You Know is anywhere near as bad as St. Anger, but my expectations for The Devil You Know were over the moon, as I have always been a big fan of Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer. But The Devil You Know sucked.

I feel the same way about TDYK. Like you, my expectations were sky high. I've idolized Ronnie James Dio for decades and I fucking loved the 3 previous Dio-Sabbath albums.

And then I heard those meandering songs, one after the other. Lifeless, colorless, indistinguishable from one another. Instead of Sabbath, it was like hearing a Candlemass imitator.

I myself like 13. It's much better at being actually Sabbath than TDYK, it has better songwriting, more variety and a more interesting rhythm section.

It's nice hearing someone else on MA actually sharing my opinion on the TDYK vs 13 debate. :D It's interesting you compared TDYK to a Candlemass imitator. If it was a GOOD at imitating Candlemass, I might have actually liked it... a lot! :D

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:49 pm 

New interview with Italian epic heavy metallers Wotan. They talk about the new album, influences, and record label problems. Their new album is supposed to come out this year.

Personally I like their second album Epos more than their first album Carmina Barbarica, but the (very sparse) reviews on MA suggest that the better of the two is Carmina Barbarica. Their EP Bridge to Asgard is decent, but not great. They're releasing their new album independently, which is a drag to me, because it probably means it will be expensive, particularly the shipping from Italy to the US. I liked how I could find their old releases easily on sites like The Omega Order and Sounds of Purgatory.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 pm 

I gotta say that Dio sounded like the guy most phoning it in with TDYK. My favorite tracks were Bible Black, Double the Pain and Follow the Tears. The rest of the album suffers from the same drudgery that ruined "Master of the Moon". Just really boring, midpaced stuff that would normally be saved by a brilliant Dio hook but here....no, he's got nothing.

Makes no sense because of the other oddball Dio tracks like "I Spy" and "The Code" still have plenty of his trademark venom.

It's only made sadder because he died and now TDYK seems like a missed field goal that could've won the Super Bowl.

Last edited by Rainbow on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm 

Rainbow wrote:
I gotta say that Dio sounded like the guy most phoning it in with TDYK. My favorite tracks were Bible Black, Double the Pain and Follow the Tears. The rest of the album suffers from the same drudgery that ruined "Master of the Moon". Just really boring, midpaced stuff that would normally be saved by a brilliant Dio hook but here....no, he's got nothing.

Makes no sense because of the other oddball Dio tracks like "I Spy" and "The Code" still have plenty of his trademark venom.

It's only made sadder because he died and now the whole TDYK seems like a missed field goal that could've won the Super Bowl.

I actually quite like Master of the Moon. It's no Holy Diver of course, but I still think it's a highlight of his solo career.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:19 pm 

He was awesome on TDYK...loved that deeper range and he really sold those vocal lines. I always liked him better singing lower. On tracks like "Breaking into Heaven," "Atom and Evil," "Rock n Roll Angel," etc, he really powers it out. Old sounding, yeah, but in a real cool, diabolical way.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:52 am 

Dio's solo career past the 80s is kinda disappointing. The man himself is, of course, always awesome, but the band behind him write some pretty boring music most of the time.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:30 am 

Empyreal wrote:
He was awesome on TDYK...loved that deeper range and he really sold those vocal lines. I always liked him better singing lower. On tracks like "Breaking into Heaven," "Atom and Evil," "Rock n Roll Angel," etc, he really powers it out. Old sounding, yeah, but in a real cool, diabolical way.

I think so too. In fact I can't imagine any vocal performance being more fitting for 'Follow the Tears' than that exact one he did, for that recording session, at that age. Suitably menacing and epic.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 pm 

Dio's problem on TDYK is not his voice. The voice is appropriate.

It's the vocal melodies that are totally weak and uninspiring.

That was a trend that had been slowly developing since the late 90s for Ronnie, unfortunately.

The reason Dio was a legend to begin with was not just his golden voice but the ingenuity, the wonderful melody lines he was crafting and how he used its expressiveness to instill emotions and tell stories.

On TDYK, he pretty much rambles pointlessly. The rest of the band doesn't help either.

I'd say I'm surprised people are so high on TDYK but then, I remember not two page back in this thread, people were still trying to convince themselves that the aberration that is Forbidden is actually good, even if Iommi himself would be the first to say it's unadultarated shit. So yeah, matter of tastes I suppose....

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:50 pm 

Riffs wrote:
It's the vocal melodies that are totally weak and uninspiring.

So true!

Quote:
I'd say I'm surprised people are so high on TDYK but then, I remember not two page back in this thread, people were still trying to convince themselves that the aberration that is Forbidden is actually good, even if Iommi himself would be the first to say it's unadultarated shit. So yeah, matter of tastes I suppose....

He didn't say that in his book. He's never said any of his works had no redeeming qualities.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 pm 

Im sorry I just glanced through this conversation but what is TDYK?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:50 pm 

The Animator wrote:
Im sorry I just glanced through this conversation but what is TDYK?

Heaven and Hell's (AKA Dio-era Black Sabbath circa 2007-2009) album The Devil You Know.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:08 am 

Riffs wrote:
Dio's problem on TDYK is not his voice. The voice is appropriate.

I said "vocal performance" which covers more than just the voice in my opinion.

Riffs wrote:
The reason Dio was a legend to begin with was not just his golden voice but the ingenuity, the wonderful melody lines he was crafting and how he used its expressiveness to instill emotions and tell stories.

I know. And for my money, the vocal lines, the melodies and just the whole package of what he was doing on The Devil You Know stands above the vast majority of performances out there, and for an album as doomed and crushing as that one his work is in fact remarkably catchy and memorable. I have no problem instantly remembering most of his lines on that record.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:23 am 

So you bellends heard Enforcer's newest?

I've heard a few songs and it sounds pretty legit.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:46 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

I've heard a few songs and it sounds pretty legit.

I posted about it last page. It's really good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:14 am 

Can someone rec me some thrashy power metal with slightly gritty vocals like Savage Messiah and Mystic Prophecy?

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:46 am 

Morgana Lefay (or as in this case Lefay)

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:55 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Well, uh..... Most wailers in metal don't really use falsetto. Just because it sounds clean doesn't mean they're trying to be King Diamond :-P

But to answer to your query, the one that comes immediately to mind is Urban Breed, who has a generally rough yet melodic set of pipes. I think that the last minute or so of this song is a pretty good showcase of what you're looking for:

I concede your point, and yes that song sounds fantastic. There is lot of Bruce Dickinson in there too.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:56 am 

Opus wrote:
I bet Nils K Rue could do a mean Eric Adams impression.

Did'nt you mean King Diamond ? And that's a fantastic cover of one of my fav KD tunes.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:57 am 

mudrnudl wrote:
suleiman wrote:
Are there any current vocalists who can do classic Eric Adams : specifically the screams (The chorus of The Power, Power of Thy Sword, various places in Blood of the Kings, Wheels of Fire, Hail and Kill, Black Wind, Fire and Steel , that cringeworthy yet completely awesome bit in Spirit Horse....).

His screams had a certain rough raspy powerful quality and quite different from lot of the banshees...It was like Ian Gillian updated for metal, rather than the falsetto so common amongst others...

If you look for male demonic screamers seek no further:
Sean Peck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43YGAzRR3Dw
Kelly Carpenter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfQL1aFQ9pg
Yannis Papadopoulos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1dCJxkKc4
Jan Thore Grefstad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZD-zLBTCQQ
Tim Aymar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHaOzgWsmc
Jürgen Volk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DWaTFtldLw
Herbie Langhans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3m99nfBUHg

This guy is more rock oriented but still - Nathan James: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsKLGHUJq8

And as somebody already said do not underestimate clean singers (they can also use raw power) - a lot of them are even somewhere in between clean and raspy sound. See Daniel Heiman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZAj1MPpeo

This is the heaviest post I have read in a while !

THANK YOU for all these amazing recs. Some of them I knew, but a lot are news to be, and frankly, jaw dropping vocal pyrotechnics.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:48 pm 

suleiman wrote:
Opus wrote:
I bet Nils K Rue could do a mean Eric Adams impression.
Did'nt you mean King Diamond ? And that's a fantastic cover of one of my fav KD tunes.

Nope, I meant Eric Adams. We KNOW he can do a mean KD.
I posted a cover because, to my knowledge, Nils is using a relatively "nice" and clean voice in Pagan's Mind, but there are some gnarly growls in that song. It also shows he's got a pretty flexible voice.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:40 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

I've heard a few songs and it sounds pretty mediocre.

I posted about it last page. It's really mediocre, just like all Enforcer.

Fixed that for you.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:02 am 

Mike_64 wrote:
Can someone rec me some thrashy power metal with slightly gritty vocals like Savage Messiah and Mystic Prophecy?

Imagika come to mind instantly. They're kinda like a mix between a thrashier Iced Earth and early Metallica, if that makes any sense. Also, not to be confused with Savage Messiah, Shatter Messiah fit the bill nicely as they're basically textbook power/thrash.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:29 am 

suleiman wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Well, uh..... Most wailers in metal don't really use falsetto. Just because it sounds clean doesn't mean they're trying to be King Diamond :-P

But to answer to your query, the one that comes immediately to mind is Urban Breed, who has a generally rough yet melodic set of pipes. I think that the last minute or so of this song is a pretty good showcase of what you're looking for:

I concede your point, and yes that song sounds fantastic. There is lot of Bruce Dickinson in there too.

I don't really get a Dickinson vibe from Breed at all, even though you're not the first to tell me that :lol: Still, glad you like him and TM, man. You might wanna check his stuff with them out, as well as his other projects. Fantastic singer and songwriter.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:43 am 

Breed is plenty like Dickinson, it's all in the powerful, charismatic mid-range. Listening to The Chemical Wedding, I imagine that album was influential to a lot of people.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:01 am 

suleiman wrote:
suleiman wrote:
Are there any current vocalists who can do classic Eric Adams : specifically the screams (The chorus of The Power, Power of Thy Sword, various places in Blood of the Kings, Wheels of Fire, Hail and Kill, Black Wind, Fire and Steel , that cringeworthy yet completely awesome bit in Spirit Horse....).

His screams had a certain rough raspy powerful quality and quite different from lot of the banshees...It was like Ian Gillian updated for metal, rather than the falsetto so common amongst others...

mudrnudl wrote:
If you look for male demonic screamers seek no further:
Sean Peck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43YGAzRR3Dw
Kelly Carpenter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfQL1aFQ9pg
Yannis Papadopoulos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1dCJxkKc4
Jan Thore Grefstad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZD-zLBTCQQ
Tim Aymar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHaOzgWsmc
Jürgen Volk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DWaTFtldLw
Herbie Langhans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3m99nfBUHg

This guy is more rock oriented but still - Nathan James: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsKLGHUJq8

And as somebody already said do not underestimate clean singers (they can also use raw power) - a lot of them are even somewhere in between clean and raspy sound. See Daniel Heiman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZAj1MPpeo

This is the heaviest post I have read in a while !

THANK YOU for all these amazing recs. Some of them I knew, but a lot are news to be, and frankly, jaw dropping vocal pyrotechnics.

Only thing I can say is it was a pleasure to help :)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 pm 

Another project with Phil Swanson, I guess there's absolutely no good singers in Denmark? Pretty good song, doomy heavy metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:28 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Another project with Phil Swanson, I guess there's absolutely no good singers in Denmark? Pretty good song, doomy heavy metal.

Vocals are excellent, but the song feels rigid and formulaic. I could not be any more bored by these overly structured harmonies between guitars and keyboards. Stiffer than a corpse, with pingy synths propping up mediocre instrumental work that sits harder on a repetitive structure than pop metalcore.

More Briton Rites, please.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 pm 

I've got a question for you guys about this 2010 reissue of Gamma Ray's Insanity and Genius and Land of the Free 2 CD set on Cooking Vinyl:

So I just got this CD set from deepdiscount.com, a site I've come to trust over the last year or two. I don't think they work with used merchandise; all their stock should be new. This CD set was sealed, and it didn't look like a reseal. When I looked at the back of the Insanity and Genius disc, it looked pristine. No scratches, no fingerprints, no dirt, or anything else. And yet, the I&G disc skips like crazy on the last two tracks, Exciter and Save Us (live). I'm wondering if other people have this same problem with this particular reissue of the CD. If so, I guess it could be chalked up to an error at the pressing plant? But if other people aren't having this problem, I don't know what could have caused mine to do this.

Although I don't want to make a big stink about it to deepdiscount.com, since it's only on bonus tracks not part of the original album, which are covers that I happen to have the originals of on other CDs, so it's not a big problem to me. But I'm still curious about this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:44 pm 

Man, recently got Antiquus' In the Land of the Blind back - what a great fucking album. The rapping on the first track is so strange and outlandish, but I like it, sounds really bad ass. The guitars are just pure metallic bliss too...I really hope we don't have to wait too much longer for a follow up. Eleutheria was probably a bit better, more underground-feeling, but this one is just a powerhouse of intense riffing and lead guitars.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:01 pm 

Emp: You should send me a rip of ItLotB - can't find it anywhere. :D

I've been spinning the new Manilla Road quite a bit, and I'd definitely say I like it better than Mysterium or Hellwell - and it's more dense than those two or Playground. It's got a couple that I'm not too keen on yet - that final "All Hallows Eve 2014" track feels tacked on and I don't think it'll grow on me, but the others have potential to. Standout tracks for me so far include "Falling" and "The Dead Still Speak." Of course, part of the denseness of the album is its sheer length - even if I don't include that final track, it's around 75 minutes. Gonna take some time to "click" in full, but I do enjoy most of the tracks more or less at this point. What are others' thoughts on it thus far?

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:51 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
the new Manilla Road

SHIT! I knew I was forgetting something!

Internet, don't fail me now!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:53 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Emp: You should send me a rip of ItLotB - can't find it anywhere. :D

I would, but the only place I found it was iTunes a few years back when it came out. When I lost my password last year, I tried to find it elsewhere and came up with jack shit. Luckily I finally got around to re-setting the password and got it back...and never to use iTunes to buy music again!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 am 

I've got a question for you guys about this 2010 reissue of Gamma Ray's Insanity and Genius and Land of the Free 2 CD set on Cooking Vinyl:

So I just got this CD set from deepdiscount.com, a site I've come to trust over the last year or two. I don't think they work with used merchandise; all their stock should be new. This CD set was sealed, and it didn't look like a reseal. When I looked at the back of the Insanity and Genius disc, it looked pristine. No scratches, no fingerprints, no dirt, or anything else. And yet, the I&G disc skips like crazy on the last two tracks, Exciter and Save Us (live). I'm wondering if other people have this same problem with this particular reissue of the CD. If so, I guess it could be chalked up to an error at the pressing plant? But if other people aren't having this problem, I don't know what could have caused mine to do this.

Although I don't want to make a big stink about it to deepdiscount.com, since it's only on bonus tracks not part of the original album, which are covers that I happen to have the originals of on other CDs, so it's not a big problem to me. But I'm still curious about this.

Sounds like a manufacturing fault. I assume most CD's manufactured are 100% perfect copies, a small fraction of those slip the net. I have a few new CD's that have tracks with skipping.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:16 am 

Dandelo wrote:

Sounds like a manufacturing fault. I assume most CD's manufactured are 100% perfect copies, a small fraction of those slip the net. I have a few new CD's that have tracks with skipping.

Yeah, manufacturing fault was what I was thinking. Though I am wondering if mine is one of those the slipped the net, or is this a common problem with this release?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 625  Next