Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:21 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
New Steelwing.

Interesting!
I always thought Steelwing had all the right ingredients, but the outcome just wasn't right. This reminds me of RAM, and something else which I can't put my finger on right now.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:52 am 

Opus wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:
New Steelwing.

Interesting!
I always thought Steelwing had all the right ingredients, but the outcome just wasn't right. This reminds me of RAM, and something else which I can't put my finger on right now.

RAM never clicked with me, but I've always liked Steelwing (heck, I've even played drums with them live once when their ordinarie drummer couldn't make it :-D ). But this is a whole new level for the wings!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 am 

You guys should check out Warlok (yeah, shitty generic name), it's very cool trad heavy. Not on MA yet since they only have a 10 mins or so demo.

http://warlokmetal.bandcamp.com/album/s ... kness-demo

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:20 am 

can someone rec me some fast power metal with extensive use of blastbeats? maybe there aren't bands or entire albums dedicated to this but anything will do. it's gotten to the point where i can't enjoy metal without blast beats anymore lol

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:41 am 

you should start checking out melodic death metal records then...
I know there are some blast beats in Victorius - Dreamchaser album and Unleash the Archers - Time Stands Still album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:45 am 

Metantoine wrote:
You guys should check out Warlok (yeah, shitty generic name), it's very cool trad heavy. Not on MA yet since they only have a 10 mins or so demo.

http://warlokmetal.bandcamp.com/album/s ... kness-demo

Summoning Sickness? Haha, that's a Magic: the Gathering reference, super nerdy shit (which of course I don't mind). Pretty damn cool stuff though, good call! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on these guys. 2015 certainly hasn't disappointed me with heavy/power stuff.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:53 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:
can someone rec me some fast power metal with extensive use of blastbeats? maybe there aren't bands or entire albums dedicated to this but anything will do. it's gotten to the point where i can't enjoy metal without blast beats anymore lol

That's oddly specific. I can help.

Not really blast beats per se, but you said close stuff would do.

Same as above.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:03 pm 

Man, recommending Satan's Host and Pathfinder in the same post is some weird musical schizophrenia. Of course recommending Pathfinder at all is...unfortunate, but I just thought that was a bit funny.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 pm 

dude I can't understand your hate for the band :-P. Especially when I think our tastes aren't that dissimilar.

But weird recs for a weird question was all I gave.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:28 am 

Wait, do people actually like Pathfinder unironically?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 am 

Pathfinder is fantastic. The second album is quite a bit better than the first, largely because the songwriting feels a bit more coherent/focused, but I do think Beyond The Space, Beyond The Time is probably their best song. I can see why people don't like them, but I really enjoy that they expand on what Dragonforce did on their earlier work (another one of my favourite power metal bands).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:34 am 

Aydross wrote:
dude I can't understand your hate for the band :-P. Especially when I think our tastes aren't that dissimilar.

It's because I like bands who write songs. They really don't.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:15 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
I really enjoy that they expand on what Dragonforce did on their earlier work (another one of my favourite power metal bands).

Well, that explains that.

Empyreal wrote:

:lol:

It honestly blows my mind that there are people here who legitimately enjoy Pathfinder. I literally can't listen to "Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time" without laughing my ass off, and that's not hyperbole. The ridiculous disjointedness of the songwriting, the ridiculous sudden leaps into falsetto, the ridiculous sudden backing chorus that disappears just as suddenly...Dragonforce I just don't like, but Pathfinder sounds like an intentional joke to me.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:18 pm 

Never heard of Pathfinder before but I just listened to that song posted by Aydross. It's alright. Some cool moments, some cringey moments. The songwriting doesn't flow very well, but there are some neat ideas there. The singer is a poor man's Daniel Heiman and it shows. I wish he wouldn't try doing those outrageous highs, he can't really pull em off. His mid-range is decent though. Definitely not the worst stuff I've heard, nor is it even mediocre tbh.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:27 pm 

I heard the whole thing after Perdition recommended that I review it. I thought it was a ridiculous album and the "songs" were just globs of random fluttery melodies without any coherence. I dunno, I guess people like that kind of over the top, jam packed sound taken to a ridiculous extreme - I really, really do not. And I like plenty of Dragonforce stuff, too! But DF had actual good melodies and songs, however sugary or AORified/cheesy you might've found them.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I heard the whole thing after Perdition recommended that I review it. I thought it was a ridiculous album and the "songs" were just globs of random fluttery melodies without any coherence. I dunno, I guess people like that kind of over the top, jam packed sound taken to a ridiculous extreme - I really, really do not. And I like plenty of Dragonforce stuff, too! But DF had actual good melodies and songs, however sugary or AORified/cheesy you might've found them.

I know what you're talking about. It's tough to describe, but I get what you're saying. It's everything I *should* like, but it's sooo forgettable.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:29 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:
I really enjoy that they expand on what Dragonforce did on their earlier work (another one of my favourite power metal bands).

Well, that explains that.

Empyreal wrote:

:lol:

It honestly blows my mind that there are people here who legitimately enjoy Pathfinder. I literally can't listen to "Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time" without laughing my ass off, and that's not hyperbole. The ridiculous disjointedness of the songwriting, the ridiculous sudden leaps into falsetto, the ridiculous sudden backing chorus that disappears just as suddenly...Dragonforce I just don't like, but Pathfinder sounds like an intentional joke to me.

Again, I think that song is a bad example because it is really disjointed. They do have songs that are far more coherent. With that said, I don't think it's any more ridiculous than people liking a song that is 4 minutes of only blast beats, or non-stop tech-death sweeping. I have no problem with people not liking them, as even I'll admit they're pretty out there, but I don't think the band is an intentional joke or anything.

rexxz wrote:
Never heard of Pathfinder before but I just listened to that song posted by Aydross. It's alright. Some cool moments, some cringey moments. The songwriting doesn't flow very well, but there are some neat ideas there. The singer is a poor man's Daniel Heiman and it shows. I wish he wouldn't try doing those outrageous highs, he can't really pull em off. His mid-range is decent though. Definitely not the worst stuff I've heard, nor is it even mediocre tbh.

This is a good description. I remember hearing them described as a mix of Dragonforce, Lost Horizon, and Rhapsody, and it seemed pretty appropriate once I had a chance to listen to them.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:28 pm 

I take efforts to make sure I never hear a band described in such a way. I've never even heard Rhapsody truthfully.

Black Hole accidentally wrote some killer nwobhm tunes from time to time. Dig Midnight Madman from their 83 demo.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:09 pm 

I finally dug into the Outrage (CA) tape from this No Speed Limit boxset. I had put them off because their name is kind of lame. Well, that was a mistake. Their '85 demo, Devastation, is fucking great. They're obviously huge Motörhead fans and you can tell they attended a lot of Voivod gigs but they have their own style. They play really basic, fast, pounding speed metal riffs but every now and then they'll rip off a classy as hell Maiden-esque harmonized lead. They even flirt with a little bit of dynamism on closer At the Mountains of Madness. Recommended.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:11 pm 

I can see where you guys are coming from regarding Pathfinder, I honestly do. Personally, they just remind me of that feeling I had when first started listening to euro-pm years ago, which I can only describe as listening to some of the most ridiculously cheesy awesome music available, and I dig that.

If you analyze the band, they have mediocre songwriting, the songs are way too long, the harsh vocals suck hard and the songs contain too much boring wankery. But at the end I don't mind because I get that feeling mentioned before.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 pm 

Aydross wrote:
I can see where you guys are coming from regarding Pathfinder, I honestly do. Personally, they just remind me of that feeling I had when first started listening to euro-pm years ago, which I can only describe as listening to some of the most ridiculously cheesy awesome music available, and I dig that.

If you analyze the band, they have mediocre songwriting, the songs are way too long, the harsh vocals suck hard and the songs contain too much boring wankery. But at the end I don't mind because I get that feeling mentioned before.

That's all that matters

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:14 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
but I really enjoy that they expand on what Dragonforce did on their earlier work (another one of my favourite power metal bands).

Check out Ascension if you haven't heard them, they have some songs comparable to early Dragonforce. If you're looking for a few more songs like that it's worth checking out.

This one is the most Dragonforce-ish off the album:

This was my favorite track off the album:

Also if you like Demoniac(Herman and Sam before Dragonforce) check out Crimson Shadows

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:26 pm 

Pathfinder are amazing. Yall don't know.

ProgPower is soon! I got my ticket last year. Will be cool to see some of these bands.

Friday
--
Hibria - Brazil
Native Construct - USA
Soto - USA
Voyager (set list chosen by the fans) - Australia
Falconer (final live show) - Sweden
Anathema - UK

Saturday
--
Helker - Argentina
Unleash The Archers - Canada
Dynazty - Sweden
Riverside - Poland
Royal Hunt (performing Paradox) - Denmark/USA
Angra (performing Holy Land) - Brazil/Italy
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:15 pm 

Anathema seems an odd choice to play alongside groups like Hibria and Falconer...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:04 pm 

odd indeed, but I like both old and new Anathema (as well as Hibria and Falconer), so I don't mind.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 pm 

I'd love to see Falconer. Are they breaking up or just not touring anymore after this?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:52 pm 

if I recall correctly they've never been huge on touring, and after this they'll stick to being a studio band. They're definitely not breaking up.

I've never listened to much from the bands on day 2, any essential albums I should hear before next weekend? Helker/Dynazty/Royal Hunt/Angra mainly, I know Riverside's game and I've heard a couple songs from Unleash the Archers (meh).

Last edited by Nahsil on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:53 pm 

Well, too bad I won't be able to see them live, but glad they're sticking together. I had just heard that this is their last tour so was worried.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:09 pm 

Yeah, Mathias Blad doesn't tour much because I think his job doesn't allow it or something. That's the main reason they switched vocalists at one point, as I understand, and they toured a lot more then, but fans really wanted Blad back so eventually they took him back and went back to touring around once a year or so. I'd really like to see them, but as usual at ProgPower, they're the only band I'd care about there.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:27 pm 

Falconer need to make a live DVD!

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:33 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
if I recall correctly they've never been huge on touring, and after this they'll stick to being a studio band. They're definitely not breaking up.

I've never listened to much from the bands on day 2, any essential albums I should hear before next weekend? Helker/Dynazty/Royal Hunt/Angra mainly, I know Riverside's game and I've heard a couple songs from Unleash the Archers (meh).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:46 pm 

interesting, Dynazty sounds like Star One.

I want to like Angra more than I do...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm 

To me, (later) Angra's albums are growers.
That new song sounds like Temple of Shadows, with a bit of Matos era in there. Me like!

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 pm 

Does anyone know of bands similar to Twilight Force and Timeless Miracle? They both write incredibly catchy songs.

Side note: I just found out that ex-H.E.A.T. vocalist, Kenny Leckremo, does guest vocals on that Twilight Force song.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Yeah, Mathias Blad doesn't tour much because I think his job doesn't allow it or something. That's the main reason they switched vocalists at one point, as I understand, and they toured a lot more then, but fans really wanted Blad back so eventually they took him back and went back to touring around once a year or so. I'd really like to see them, but as usual at ProgPower, they're the only band I'd care about there.

I interviewed Weinerhall last year and asked him about this. Apparently, Blad works for a theater troupe and focuses most of his time performing there. With everyone else having time commitments elsewhere, they decided to just focus on studio albums.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:39 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
interesting, Dynazty sounds like Star One.

I want to like Angra more than I do...

IMO Aqua is a classic. It did take a bit to grow on me, but I absolutely love it.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:40 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:

Does anyone know of bands similar to Twilight Force and Timeless Miracle? They both write incredibly catchy songs.

Side note: I just found out that ex-H.E.A.T. vocalist, Kenny Leckremo, does guest vocals on that Twilight Force song.

Yeah these are a couple of my favorite cheesy PM bands. Twilight Force melodies are infectious.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:01 pm 

Not a fan of Twilight Force, but anyone who likes those guys or Timeless Miracle needs the first few Crystal Eyes albums. Gloriously upbeat, fun PM.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Not a fan of Twilight Force, but anyone who likes those guys or Timeless Miracle needs the first few Crystal Eyes albums. Gloriously upbeat, fun PM.

Crystal Eyes - meh
Galloglass - YES

You recommended the wrong band. Thank you for leading me to Galloglass though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:24 pm 

They're both about the same level of quality to me really. That first Galloglass album I remember being pretty damn good.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490 ... 625  Next