Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:21 pm 

Encyrcle: They don't move me, I don't give a fuck!

I keep sampling them every time someone brings them up again. It sounds very safe to me. This song is better than I remember though! It kind of reminds me of what I EXPECTED new-era Satan's Host to sound like based on the buzz.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:26 pm 

Jonporpoise, Satan's Host rules, just accept it. Also, I forget, have you heard Longings Past? They're ridiculously up your alley. They're a serious contender for fruitiest, weirdest metal band ever.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:58 pm 

Satan's Host get by on Conklin being a god. I wish he would team up with someone who likes writing riffs.

Always avoided Longings Past like the plague. Those album covers look like some Wheel of Time shit.

Edit: Weed told me a secret. David Potter is the most underrated heavy metal vocalist of all time. The way he goes from god damn near just shouting to hitting those airy high notes and then back to condemnating...The Gates of Gehenna. Damn.

Edit 2: And then it asked me a question. What's his H-Bomb stuff all about? I was really disappointed there wasn't a full length with Potter at the helm. Going to hope that EP is on YouTube. Anyone heard it?

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 am 

New SATAN's song sounds very good once more. Can't wait for the album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQrtNA2VIMo

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:38 am 

Count me in on the "new Satan's Host ain't too hot" crowd. I find their extreme metal leanings are just kinda dull. It's like "Hey, we listened to some sweet Dimmu Borgir albums from 2002 and now we're an extreme metal band!". The 80s stuff is ace, though. A vaccuum cleaner from hell! I wish Conklin would just get on with a new Titan Force album.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:26 am 

^LOL. Tell that to @IamVengeance that stuff gives him hard nips. I came here to ask what people's thoughts on Iron Kobra are? Just heard of them the other day. My impressions were that it was clumsy, wasted potential for what i thought they were going for. Anyone listen to them? Anything new, like that, but better though?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 am 

Marty should just stick to driving around in his Holden ute and blastin' Acca Dacca and Rose Tattoo.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 am 

Wasn't Titan Force supposed to be working on new material again with Conklin? Maybe that fell through or they were just touring.

Damn that Satan track is awesome. Are these guys 60 something? lol.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 am 

The second Longings Past album is so fruity it barely qualifies as metal half the time, but I think you might dig the first album, Jonpo. Esoteric, weird as hell vocalist, lo-fi production, and just overall damn good songwriting. And of course new Satan's Host rules, although I still think 'By the Hands of the Devil' is underwhelming. 'Virgin Sails' and 'Pre-Dating God' rule hard, though.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 pm 

Virgin Sails is the weaker one for me. Pretty enjoyable album but just nothing memorable about it - good riffs though. Pre-dating god has to be the best one they've done since reuniting. It's been ages since I heard Metal from Hell - I remember it being kick ass though, with the wonky production actually helping it a bit.

I remember Longings Past's debut being really cool and interesting - quirky epic metal like Manilla Road or Hanker on The Dead Ringer, in spirit if not sound. Maybe I'll check that band out again.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:22 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Wasn't Titan Force supposed to be working on new material again with Conklin? Maybe that fell through or they were just touring.

I spoke to a few of the Titan Force guys in Athens this year and they said they had most of the stuff written and that they just need to persuade Conklin to get in there and do it. So, I guess Tyrant's just busy with other stuff (understandable, really, considering that he has 2 other bands and normal life stuff to deal with).

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Virgin Sails is the weaker one for me. Pretty enjoyable album but just nothing memorable about it - good riffs though. Pre-dating god has to be the best one they've done since reuniting. It's been ages since I heard Metal from Hell - I remember it being kick ass though, with the wonky production actually helping it a bit.

I remember Longings Past's debut being really cool and interesting - quirky epic metal like Manilla Road or Hanker on The Dead Ringer, in spirit if not sound. Maybe I'll check that band out again.

Yeah The Dead Ringer is definitely a good comparison, they both have the same personal, coming-of-age storytelling type feeling. Musically it's much closer to MR, but it definitely has the same spirit as you say. Not sure if I can think of any other metal albums with that same sort of essence. Maybe Holocaust's 'The Courage to Be,' although I don't like it nearly as much as those other two.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:51 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Always avoided Longings Past like the plague. Those album covers look like some Wheel of Time shit.

Nah man, Wheel of Time is like Rhapsody or something. The first Longings Past album is more like Lord Dunsany.

Jonpo wrote:
Edit 2: And then it asked me a question. What's his H-Bomb stuff all about? I was really disappointed there wasn't a full length with Potter at the helm. Going to hope that EP is on YouTube. Anyone heard it?

The H-Bomb EP with Potter was their attempt at a more commercial direction, as is often the case when a band switches from a foreign language to English and recruits a native speaker to replace the old frontman. Also, Potter sounds just plain awful, nowhere close to the heights he hit on the Cloven Hoof s/t.

H-Bomb rules plenty before that though, and I don't even think David Potter at his best would have fit their sound. Didier Izard has that classic Trust-style nasal French snarl that works so well with the dirty, rocking French heavy metal.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:20 pm 

Ooookay THAT Longings Past cover rules. I'll check them out and see what prices are like.

I've always heard I needed the proper H-Bomb LP in my life. I've always secretly believed it couldn't possibly live up to the big three. But then again I really dig my Demon Eyes records. The french had it figured.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:28 pm 

H-Bomb are actually a serious contender for making it a "big four", but I don't know, they're a bit more conventional than High Power, Sortilege, and Blaspheme. They're just like, really really super catchy and good regular metal, rather than having something transcendentally good about them like the others do. Big 3 1/2, I guess!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:46 pm 

I'll take it. Looking forward to checking them out.

Any of you fellas into the Gentry Lord EP? It is so over the top. But every bit and bolt is anchored with quality riffs. It's just everything else vying for your attention. It's more weirdo, outsider shit. I think the whole EP is on bandcamp. I want to hear how it grabs you all.

If you're only going to check out one song make it A Dreadful Adoration.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:06 pm 

I got a power metal fix since last week. Haven't heard much for the last 1-2 years but it is good to be back. I had forgotten how much Angra and Edguy totally kill. Looking forward to hearing the new Luca Turilli album too

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

Damn that Satan track is awesome. Are these guys 60 something? lol.

Yeah dude, but they still kickass live. Managed to catch them at a small venue in Philadelphia last year and they absolutely tore. Very tight, and vocals are totally killer. Probably one of the better/more energetic live bands from that era along with Raven. I also dug that track. Keen to buy the vinyl when it comes out.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:27 pm 

Awesome to hear. I'm cool with new Satan's Host, but I'd rather hear Conklin again in something like Titan Force, assuming they're still doing kickass melodic USPM.

It's a shame Jag Panzer were a one hit wonder really. No matter how big a Conklin fan I am, I don't think much of 90% of their discography. Tyrants, Ample Destruction, and Chain of Command is all I need.

I thought failsafeman hated Longing's Past but maybe not. I was convinced why bother when you've got Enchanter? Right up there with Cauldron Born for some of the best USPM of all time for me.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
^LOL. Tell that to @IamVengeance that stuff gives him hard nips.

You listen to AOR unironically.

Acrobat wrote:
Marty should just stick to driving around in his Holden ute and blastin' Acca Dacca and Rose Tattoo.

You been spying on me mate?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:47 pm 

^ Listen guy, i wasn't making fun of you listening to it, i just know you're the most passionate person about the band i know. I think the new stuff is okay, but i'm not that into it. Find it's lacking in a certain dynamism or standout quality, but not bad by any means. Shouldn't you be changin' some nappies there, pal?

lucifersfriend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:39 am 

hi all. can you suggest more bands like Skelator!?? I've been just obsessed with them for the past couple weeks. I generally do not like sing songy happy melodies or major chord progressions, so I tend to be real hesitant about most power or epic metal, but these cats seem to really grasp the nuances of Real Metal, and I cant get enough of it.
"Time of the Sword Rulers" is my favorite album from them, so something lean and mean like this:

afrombeyond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:39 am 

listen russian speed metal https://fromb.bandcamp.com/releases
https://mashypnosis.bandcamp.com/releases

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:11 pm 

This just in: Living Death are cool. Especially when paired with bourbon. I've had Metal Revolution for awhile but I just got a copy of the debut. The vocals are even worse which is really impressive. I just can't shake the riffs though. They do the speed metal thing so well. Take Priest, speed it up, stiffen it up, write the worst choruses ever...boom, a Living Death album is born.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:05 am 

Yes, definitely a good drinkin' band. Made some patches and a shirt of them a good few years back, which i still have. 'Killing in Action' has a sick album cover, that'd make a rad shirt/backpatch. Howcome these guys aren't playing the European Fests? Would be a killer addition to HOA/KIT etc.

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:26 am 

Against Evil - Fatal Assault
direct and melodic melody songs keep coming in Heavy metal/thrash; first EP

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:24 pm 

Checking out Living Death now. Wow these guys are good. Vocalist sounds like a cross between Tim Baker and Schmier from Destruction.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 am 

I'm glad you're digging them! I think they're kinda awful in some ways. The vocals are tragic and the choruses are often just the same phrase repeated over and over and over. But god damn if the riffs don't possess me anyways. I like how ignorant the whole thing is. It's Accept and Priest pushed beyond the capabilities of the people playing.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:26 pm 

I want to like LIVING DEATH but I just haven't found that one track that I really want to spin again.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:51 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I want to like LIVING DEATH but I just haven't found that one track that I really want to spin again.

Yeah. I could probably rock out to them live, but there are plenty of other German speed metal bands I'd rather listen to.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:26 am 

I think I took to them so quickly because I haven't heard any breakneck neanderthrash in awhile. I thought the vocals were brilliant, but I've only listened to the Protected from Reality so far. Maybe it's an exception? I'll find out soon enough. And yeah they totally lack choruses, but I'm okay with the riff-after-riff approach.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:11 am 

Living Death are great, everything they did ended up being brutish and ugly. Thorsten Bergmann's like Udo's evil twin. I like everything I've heard from them; even Worlds Neuroses works as even when they try to be a more straightforward thrash band it ends up being just quite strange and unsettling. I still need to get Back to Weapons, though.

Kaiser_19
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:51 am 

Hi guys.

I'm fairly new to power metal. The stuff i've been listening to is Sabaton and Rhapsody Of Fire. I liked Sabaton because i found their sound to be slightly different to most power metal bands, and while Rhapsody sounding is perhaps like any other band in the genre, i've been enjoying a lot the symphonic side of their music. Both the orchestras and keyboards they have (love the fact that they use a lot a church organ into their music). However they are a bit too stale into their music and it can becomes a bit repetitive after a while.

So in short what i'm looking for is for a band that has the same symphonics and keyboards as Rhapsody, but play faster and havier. Something with thrash and death metal drum beats.

Not that many vocals and less cheesy choruses would be a plus, but not necessary.

thanks in advance

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:32 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
I think I took to them so quickly because I haven't heard any breakneck neanderthrash in awhile. I thought the vocals were brilliant, but I've only listened to the Protected from Reality so far. Maybe it's an exception? I'll find out soon enough. And yeah they totally lack choruses, but I'm okay with the riff-after-riff approach.

This is really cool to hear, because there was a definite and noticeable improvement of vocals between first and second albums. I was hoping that continued and it sounds like a yes.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:35 pm 

What do you guys think of Zone Zero? I've been playing The Lost Legacy comp a lot the last two weeks. They sound different than the other Swedish stuff I obsess over. Maybe the simple answer is that a lot of this stuff is from 81, not 84. But I'm not so sure. The parts are very basic, and I'm still trying to decide if the whole is more than the sum. I originally thought they simply wanted to be Priest Sweden but I'm starting to think there's more to em than that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:43 pm 

Kaiser_19 wrote:
Hi guys.

I'm fairly new to power metal. The stuff i've been listening to is Sabaton and Rhapsody Of Fire. I liked Sabaton because i found their sound to be slightly different to most power metal bands, and while Rhapsody sounding is perhaps like any other band in the genre, i've been enjoying a lot the symphonic side of their music. Both the orchestras and keyboards they have (love the fact that they use a lot a church organ into their music). However they are a bit too stale into their music and it can becomes a bit repetitive after a while.

So in short what i'm looking for is for a band that has the same symphonics and keyboards as Rhapsody, but play faster and havier. Something with thrash and death metal drum beats.

Not that many vocals and less cheesy choruses would be a plus, but not necessary.

thanks in advance

Domine would be a good bet. They are also Italian, but more traditional and riffy than Rhapsody by a country mile, and with more masculine vocals and fast, cutting riffing - but they do keep the symphonic stuff.

Maybe some old Angra, though it's a lot more flowery than Domine - but perhaps a pinch less than Rhapsody.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:07 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
This is really cool to hear, because there was a definite and noticeable improvement of vocals between first and second albums. I was hoping that continued and it sounds like a yes.

Woah, listening to the first album now on YouTube and it doesn't even sound like the same vocalist! You were right, he is pretty godawful here. He must have gotten a lot of flak for his vocals because I don't think I've heard a singer improve like that in so short a time.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:24 am 

Jonpo wrote:
What do you guys think of Zone Zero? I've been playing The Lost Legacy comp a lot the last two weeks. They sound different than the other Swedish stuff I obsess over. Maybe the simple answer is that a lot of this stuff is from 81, not 84. But I'm not so sure. The parts are very basic, and I'm still trying to decide if the whole is more than the sum. I originally thought they simply wanted to be Priest Sweden but I'm starting to think there's more to em than that.

Remember stumbling on this band last year or so. Seems they were actually around a fair while, pretty early on in the scene, and seemed to be pretty well respected in the underground at one point. It's odd that i hadn't heard of them till then. There are some pretty cool bits here and there, but i don't remember being overly enthused with it. Never really see them mentioned around here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:06 am 

Jonpo wrote:

Zone Zero fuckin' rule. I don't really hear much difference between them and other Swedish stuff (other than being generally better), but maybe you haven't dug around much in the old 7"s. Their songwriting is great, supported by a general dank, gloomy atmosphere. The riffs are tight as hell as well, and the vocals aren't bad by Swedish standards!

Anyway if you're into early Swedish stuff, check out Neptune:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:08 pm 

Nah, not many Swedish 7" in my collection (read: none). Gotham City's The Unknown is the benchmark for me. I can't get over that record. Zone Zero get better with every listen. Well, other than those garbage 00s songs

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488 ... 624  Next