Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:48 am 

Quote:
If anyone has any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Try these:

Wuthering Heights - Far from the Madding Crowd (folky power/prog that proves for quite an endearing listen)

Nocturnal Rites - Shadowland (pretty much a blueprint for how Power Metal should be made)

Landguard - Eden of a Parallel Dimension (great symphonic Power Metal)

Spellblast - Horns of Silence (Blind Guardian-esque Power Metal, very entertaining)

Insania - Sunrise in Riverland (the best Stratovarius worship ever)

Twilightning - Delirium Veil (innovative, progressive Finnish Power Metal with a serious punch. Ignore everything else they've done though.)

Timeless Miracle - Into the Enchanted Chamber (Cheesy, overblown and fun as hell.)

Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus - Act I (possibly the best epic/symphonic metal album I've ever heard)

Excalion - Waterlines (I always mention these guys.)

Machinae Supremacy - Redeemer (Godly prog. I'm serious.)

Leverage - Blind Fire (Excellent melodic Heavy/Power Metal that provides many an entertaining listen.)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:13 am 

Just another heads up for my fellow treasure hunters: Tension's Breaking Point is very well-done power/speed/thrash. The singer is really good, reminds me of...uh...someone. Harry Conklin? Maybe. Bruce Dickinson? Kinda. Anyway, they're quite diverse, with some really speedy stuff, a slower power ballad, some thrash bashers, etc., so there's bound to be something there for everyone. They're not the most original or spectacular band, but certainly solid nonetheless. Check 'em out.

Also, I figure I might as well lump in heavy/traditional/NWOBHM/whatever and speed into this help thread too, as they're twisting in the wind right now.

atdawntheysleep
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:08 am 

Here is the right thread. I am looking for bands and albums that sound like Priest (like Primal Fear, Winter's Bane). Started a thread named "Priest worshipping..." yesterday, and a similar one a few months ago.
I'm not looking for bands like Iron Savior, Godiva, Firewind, Messiah's Kiss, etc. I am looking for Painkiller/Defenders/Screaming-esque speed: melodic, not bubbly or sweet, but fast, catchy and heavy (a little evil, think: "The Sentinel" "Hell Patrol" "Riding on the Wind" etc.) - without a soft voice (I'm thinking Halford, Owens or Scheepers - even Barlow, NOT the guy from Iron Savior, or anything like Hammerfall). Something with more balls than most of the aforementioned power bands, in other words more on the speed/thrash side than the speed/power side.
The only bands I've heard that pull it off (the way I'm looking for at least) are Primal Fear and Winter's Bane - surely ther must be more out there than that...?
If you could supply downloads locations too that would be great.

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:05 am 

Looking for a thrash or death influenced (musically, not vocally) power metal band with ridiculous talent, and EPIC KEYBOARD LINES. For vocals, I'd prefer someone completely over the top, though not a requirement.

EDIT - Sort of like Manticora with extra cheese and more high pitched vocals.

levasty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:16 am 

Know of any fast paced Speed/Power metal?

Similar to Dragonforce, Hibria and Cellador.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:23 am 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:
Looking for a thrash or death influenced (musically, not vocally) power metal band with ridiculous talent, and EPIC KEYBOARD LINES. For vocals, I'd prefer someone completely over the top, though not a requirement.

Timelord is what you're looking for.

And as to the guy above, do you like old Stratovarius?

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:00 pm 

levasty wrote:

I think you would enjoy Burning in Hell.

Emp, have you heard of them? I highly reccomend them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:04 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
levasty wrote:

I think you would enjoy Burning in Hell.

Emp, have you heard of them? I highly reccomend them.

I've heard of em, yeah - haven't checked 'em out yet though.

yg7s7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:11 pm 

How about early albums by X Japan?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:56 pm 

I'd like to find more power metal bands with ridiculously over-the-top layered vocals, preferably later-era-Blind Guardian-like if possible (later Sonata Arctica is also a good example.) If the music is a bit on the heavier side, that'd be great, and keyboard use is also a big plus.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:05 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I'd like to find more power metal bands with ridiculously over-the-top layered vocals, preferably later-era-Blind Guardian-like if possible (later Sonata Arctica is also a good example.) If the music is a bit on the heavier side, that'd be great, and keyboard use is also a big plus.

The only ones I can think of are well known bands like Pagan's Mind, and they definitely aren't what you want, are they?

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Vulture_Helsing wrote:

Timelord is what you're looking for.

Thanks a lot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:45 pm 

Burning in Hell are fucking good. Sort of a midway point between Angra and Hibria, speaking in terms of their countrymen. If they had better vocals, they'd be an A class band.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:47 pm 

Glad you like them. :metal:

I'm listening to Eagleheart right now, after reading your review.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:49 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Glad you like them. :metal:

I'm listening to Eagleheart right now, after reading your review.

Another band that badly needs a vocalist change. I wonder what it is with Power Metal bands hiring guys who have about as much attitude as a blank canvass.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:27 pm 

I just checked out Terasbetoni, and they rule. Exactly what I wanted from my Finnish Power Metal request a few pages ago. :headbang:

htavox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 pm 

I've been really getting into power metal a lot lately. It's always had a soft spot for me since Iced Earth was the band that got me away from nu-metal in the first place. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Helloween (Walls and Keepers), Gamma Ray (Land of the Free on), Iron Savior, Stormwarrior, and Avantasia. Basically I'm looking for more of the same. Happy, happy Helloween double bass frenzy type music. Someone recommended Aquaria to me and it's pretty good, especially said double bass frenzy parts.

Also I was recommended Stratovarius, but the only song that has clicked so far is Eagleheart, most of it just isn't what I'm wanting. Anyway, any recommendations would be great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 pm 

Galloglass, Celesty, Eagleheart, Burning in Hell, Angra, Freedom Call, Fairyland, old Heavenly, Insania, Freternia, Timeless Miracle and Twilightning should fill you up for a good while.

htavox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Galloglass, Celesty, Eagleheart, Burning in Hell, Angra, Freedom Call, Fairyland, old Heavenly, Insania, Freternia, Timeless Miracle and Twilightning should fill you up for a good while.

I should have included Freedom Call in my list. My fault for not thinking of it. Thanks for the recommendations though I'll start checking them out as soon as this Aquaria album is done.

ensiferum2k
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:48 pm 

two obscure bands that I found recently. It's a sin that neither has been reissued

http://media.putfile.com/80s-power-metal Messiah Force (Ca)
http://media.putfile.com/90s-power-metal Axiom (US)

happy now? :)

Last edited by ensiferum2k on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:16 am 

ensiferum2k wrote:
two obscure bands that I found recently. It's a sin that neither has been reissued

http://media.putfile.com/80s-power-metal
http://media.putfile.com/90s-power-metal

It'd be nice if you included real info, well at least with the first track. Easy to tell if you know them though! My magical powers tells me that it's Messiah Force "White Knight". Excellent band.

Axiom isn't bad, though they somehow come off as a bit anticlimatic to me.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:22 am 

Okay guys, power/thrash like Destiny's End/Helstar, Persuader, Scariot?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:47 am 

Not necessarily terribly close to what you want, but Tension (US), Forte, and Matthias Steele, are all good. I honestly haven't found a hell of a lot of good power/thrash, but I suppose my standards may be different from others'. Oh, Oblivion's demo is very good and has some thrashy elements, though the production is pretty rough. Aftermath are good too, though they're a bit on the weird side.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:58 am 

Oliver Magnum, maybe?

http://www.myspace.com/olivermagnum

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:56 am 

Can somebody recommand me stuff similar to early Anthrax? DON'T recommand me any agressive thrash metal bands, but more speed/ thrash metal bands without any agression, fast, loud riffs and high pithched vocals. :) Lyrics by the band must be in english and i don't care about production.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:05 am 

colin040 wrote:
Can somebody recommand me stuff similar to early Anthrax? DON'T recommand me any agressive thrash metal bands, but more speed/ thrash metal bands without any agression, fast, loud riffs and high pithched vocals. :) Lyrics by the band must be in english and i don't care about production.

Thrash Metal Help Thread is more fitting.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:07 am 

Kruel wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Thrash Metal Help Thread is more fitting.

I'm sorry ^^ my mistake :p

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:01 am 

I am looking for NWOBHM similar to Motorhead, Manowar, and Venom. I'd also like some 'ballsy' Power Metal like Holy Dragons or Skiltron. None of that Elvenking crap though.

Any help would be great, Power Metal isn't a genre I like but I am getting to a few bands lately.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:27 am 

I've been on a USPM binge lately and am wondering what key bands/albums I might be missing. These are my current favourites: Attacker, Exxplorer, Helstar, Liege Lord, Metal Church, Nasty Savatage, Oracle, Realm, Running Wild, Steel Assassin.

Not sure if these are all considered to be USPM though. Oh and no flowery crap, please. Thanks!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:30 am 

DGYDP wrote:
I've been on a USPM binge lately and am wondering what key bands/albums I might be missing. These are my current favourites: Attacker, Exxplorer, Helstar, Liege Lord, Metal Church, Nasty Savatage, Oracle, Realm, Running Wild, Steel Assassin.

Not sure if these are all considered to be USPM though. Oh and no flowery crap, please. Thanks!

You should look into the following:

Omen - Battle Cry

Griffin - Flight of the Griffin

Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision

Top notch stuff courtesy of Xeogred and FSM.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:33 am 

For USPM, I recommend Fates Warning, Manilla Road, Crimson Glory and Savatage.

DGYDP wrote:
Nasty Savatage
You mean Nasty Savage, right? :P
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:39 am 

DGYDP wrote:

Heir Apparent.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:44 am 

Kruel wrote:
You mean Nasty Savage, right? :P

Yeah, typo. I like Manilla Road and Savatage and I'll check out the other bands, thanks for the suggestions guys!

Gooner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:04 am 

DGYDP wrote:

I'll pretty much second everything that has been mentioned so far, and also recommend Black Knight, might not be exactly what your looking for but definitely a band you should be checking out. Also since they don't seem to have been mentioned yet you should check out Deadly Blessing, and Abattoir.

Classic.

http://www.last.fm/user/gooner_89

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:14 am 

I think Liege Lord is like my musical Bible.
DGYDP wrote:

I'll second what some others said above: Omen (first three are good), Fates Warning, Crimson Glory (first two), Heir Apparent (debut mainly), Black Knight, Deadly Blessing (debut), and Abattoir (first two. though I say they're more Exciter-ish, speed metal, still some worthwhile stuff). Griffin's debut ... fuck yes.

Some stuff coming to mind here:

Others (pardon me for not remembering what you may have heard already, lol...)--:
~ Apollo Ra - Really varied. Insane vocalist, shriekfuckingmaster.
~ Tyrant (US), you might know them though? ;)
~ Defender (Hol) City Ad Mortis EP. Almost like Metal Church from the Netherlands! First time I heard this it destroyed me, still a favorite.
~ Agent Steel ... hey, it's a stretch but if you haven't heard them, maybe you'd like their first two. "Unstoppable Force" is kind of comparable to some of this stuff.
~ Savage Grace - first two. Well if you don't mind Agent Steel-ish stuff, Abattoir, etc, check them out. Their debut is insanely awesome, the second album is a bit more power-ish.
~ Vicious Rumors first two. One of the earlier classic bands I got into a long time ago along with Helstar.
~ Commandment - Engraved in the Stone. Has is moments.
~ Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction (an obvious one. But hey, if you haven't check out Satan's Host debut and Titan Force's two albums too. Not bad..)
~ Cloven Hoof - Dominator and A Sultan's Ransom. UK, but whatever, epic stuff.
~ Cyperus' first two demo's. Don't let the "demo" tag fool you! High quality stuff and excellent productions, ballsy classic USPM.
~ Dark Age - 1984 s/t EP, the one with a few reviews. An incredibly interesting blend of NWOBHM influenced metal with speed/power influences, really awesome.
~ Glacier - EP and 88' demo. Again, small releases here, but with incredible productions. Great stuff.
~ Heretic - Breaking Point. Hey, I like it! If you dig Mike Howe from Metal Church, check out where he started ... nothing groundbreaking, but solid stuff.
~ Lords of the Crimson Alliance - You'll probably love it or hate it. Nothing sounds quite like it at all though, very out there. Check out Grudge too.
~ Oliver Magnum - 88' s/t album. Not bad.
~ Medieval Steel - 84' EP. You know, it doesn't make my head explode or anything but fuck ... utterly timeless. You can never make metal like this ever again. (similar to Glacier).
~ Chastain - Mystery of Illusion through 7th of Never are worthwhile. Leather Leone is a badass female vocalist.
~ Original Sin - Sin Will Find You Out. Pretty damn ballsy and completely made up of women!
~ Cruella - Vengeance Is Mine. Pretty messy, but fairly fun.

~ Slauter Xstroyes - both albums. You like Realm? You will probably dig these guys a lot. Really jacked up weird, creative, and insanely awesome. The vocalist sounds like a fucking psychopath. One of those bands you can't classify at all.

More high quality demo's/EP's that could pass off as full lengths:
~ Assalant - The Damage Is Done. Okay, the production is drained but if you blast that volume it works. Really awesome power/thrash.
~ Brute Force - Fight To Survive. Shriektastic at times, excellent production, really awesome. First demo isn't bad either, low quality though.
~ Ghost Story - The Image and Reality. Fairly technical power/thrash, awesome.
~ Heathen's Rage. Drained productions, but this band should've been fucking huge.
~ Oblivion - Quest For Power. Liege Lord's brother, maybe... insane stuff.
... :oh shit:

edit: Oh you mentioned Running Wild, what albums specifically? There's some other cool European albums that might come to mind here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:15 am 

DGYDP wrote:

Figured I might as well weigh in here even after Xeogred's massive list, considering you mentioned Oracle. Cauldron Born are really really awesome, though obviously from slightly later, but they sound a lot like Oracle but more over the top. Also Dead Calm, Zions Abyss, Screamer, Damien Steele, and Medieval Steel's recent compilation (includes their 84 EP plus other worthwhile stuff!).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:02 am 

iAm wrote:
I am looking for NWOBHM similar to Motorhead, Manowar, and Venom. I'd also like some 'ballsy' Power Metal like Holy Dragons or Skiltron. None of that Elvenking crap though.

Any help would be great, Power Metal isn't a genre I like but I am getting to a few bands lately.

Dragonheart is cool. Get their latest album Vengeance in Black, nice head-stomping goodness. And all of Xeogred's recs are great, especially Slauter Xstroyes. Free the Beast is such a fucking great album. And Black Knight and Deadly Blessing are both also awesome bands.

Nasty Savatage, though :lol: That's awesome.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:59 am 

Jonpo wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

You should look into the following:

Omen - Battle Cry

Griffin - Flight of the Griffin

Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision

Top notch stuff courtesy of Xeogred and FSM.
Seconding Flight of the Griffin. That album is amazing :bow:

Damnit, I thought I'd have an easy Saturday but now I'm going through all the bands listed that I haven't heard yet.

I'm liking this Heretic.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 pm 

I'll check these bands out but it'll take a very long time to do all of those, haha. Thanks!
Liking Crimson Glory so far.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:55 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
I'll check these bands out but it'll take a very long time to do all of those, haha. Thanks!
Liking Crimson Glory so far.

Imagine if they were a bit heavier and more aggressive, that's basically Apollo Ra.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 624  Next