Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:45 am 

All the guys Nahsil mentioned would be up there for me too, though I haven't heard Leather Leone - maybe something to fix later.

Falconer's good because of those cool folk riffs - the first two albums especially.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:50 am 

I think Fabio may have done himself a disservice by singing for too many bands (esp. major ones). Maybe that's the last shred of vocal-dependency I have, but I kinda consider the vocalist to be the identity of a band (or at least a major part of it) and when he sings for a ton of bands (esp. concurrently), that kinda wrecks things for me. The more distinctive a vocalist, the more tied to a particular band they are for me. How long they've been in a band is also a factor here. Like, seeing Mathias Blad front Hammerfall would just seem utterly morbid to me.

He's no where near as bad as hacks like Chity Somapala (who has absolutely zero identity, personality, conviction whatsoever) though.

I can handle vocalist changes though, but I don't vocalists bouncing around from band to band - it just cheapens things for me after awhile. Not an Angra fan, but they should've went with an unknown quantity. Its like "why is Rhapsody's vocalist singing for Angra?" God, hearing Warlord's 2nd album with Hammerfall's vocalist just seemed morbid to me. Wasn't bad though, but its just something I don't think I could ever get fully used to.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:58 am 

Kelly Carpenter rules....just a shame that the material he sings on isn't really interesting. From what I recall hearing Outworld's s/t is the best he has sang on and even that I'd just give a 65~ score or something.

One singer I definitely find to be somewhat underrated is Guy Speranza from Riot. While not as much of a high wailer as Toony More, he just had such attitude in his voice that I love.

Then there's also Roy Khan during his Conception years and Tony Martin if I'm in the mood for more smooth, softer kind of vocalists. David DeFeis, Mike Howe, Urban Breed (who seems to have a good time maintaining his voice in shape, comparing the first Tad Morose album to that supergroup stuff or something he did recently)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:08 am 

Chity Somapala and Rick Altzi are my least favorite kinds of power metal singers. Utterly sleazy, banal cock rock type singing...Tobias Sammet has enough energy to recall Biff Byford at times albeit singing more glam-y vocal lines, but those other guys are just so irritating to listen to, despite there not being a huge difference overall.

Joacim Cans is funny; he isn't a great singer, but he just has a really likable voice despite not having tons of power or anything. His performance on the last Hammerfall might have been the best I heard from him.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:20 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Falconer's good because of those cool folk riffs - the first two albums especially.

But Falconer sans Blad just sounds uninspired and generic. I think that simply having him singing puts the band in a more folk-y mentality.

Obey the dolphin!

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:54 am 

I highly suggest listening to the latest Angra album. It's not my favorite album, but it's definitely worth a listen. Someone posted about Lione's pronunciation being off in the past. On the Angra album, it's pretty spot on.

Edit: How about the (now) old vocalist from Excalion? That guy is FANTASTIC. The vocalist from Crystallion is a pretty damn good vocalist, too.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:05 am 

He could have improved - maybe I'm naive, but I expect pro musicians to practice all the time and improve.

I hope things weren't altered in the studio (can that actually fix pronunciation?) As previously mentioned, I normally don't get too excited over vocal heroics anymore because I don't know how much of this is augmented by studio wizardry. I guess the same can be said about all instruments. I can't even trust live albums or DVDs due to post-processing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:48 am 

TrueDynamite wrote:
Edit: How about the (now) old vocalist from Excalion? That guy is FANTASTIC.

Yeah, he was fucking amazing - his performance on High Time in particular was life-affirming good. Some of the best vocal hooks and melodies in Europower.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I go plenty nuts over singers. I just like a more midranged style if I had to choose, a bit more grit and not always technically perfect. A lot of my favorite vocal performances in metal are from guys like Mike Scalzi, Jesse White of Antiquus, the guy from Hanker, Pagan Altar...weird shit. But Tony Kakko and Tobias Sammet are two of my favorite singers as well.

I don't think the guy from Hanker is very weird, he sounds like a more restrained Conklin to me - he does rule though, as do those others you mention. Vocalists with character are so, so much better than technically good but boring vocalists like Kiske or Tate... I'd take James Shellberg from Longings Past, Tim Baker, or John Mortimer (vocalist in prog-era Holocaust) over that kind of shit any day of the week. Glad that my man Empyreal agrees.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 pm 

Here is Excalion's new vocalist, Marcus Lang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9w5_gl7MOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdvoYns5f0

He's not the former vocalist (Jarmo Paakkonen), but he's certainly capable.

Edit: Lang actually seems to be a better live vocalist compared to Paakkonen.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:15 pm 

I am so happy you guys speak about vocalists! I am always going nuts about vocals! I will be checking some guys I don't know from your previous posts.
And I would love to share my list of top notch metal singers (who are still alive and didn't lose their voices and abilities yet):
Daniel Heiman
Kelly Carpenter
Jorn Lande
Philippe D'Orange
Raphael Dantas
(Sean Peck - only in brackets as I am not a big fan of his hooks and melodies)

The female vocalist list would go like this:
Noora Louhimo
Veronica Freeman
Leather Leone
Elisa Candelas Martín

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:21 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Kelly Carpenter rules....just a shame that the material he sings on isn't really interesting. From what I recall hearing Outworld's s/t is the best he has sang on and even that I'd just give a 65~ score or something.

Have you heard Section X by Beyond Twilight? Amazing singing on an amazing album. Well over 65!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:31 pm 

Rosenthorn wrote:
But Falconer sans Blad just sounds uninspired and generic. I think that simply having him singing puts the band in a more folk-y mentality.

Weinerhall decided to change style when Blad left. Luckily he came to his senses, and thus brought back both Blad and the old style for Northwinds, which is on par with the debut.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:37 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
Here is Excalion's new vocalist, Marcus Lang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9w5_gl7MOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdvoYns5f0

He's not the former vocalist (Jarmo Paakkonen), but he's certainly capable.

Edit: Lang actually seems to be a better live vocalist compared to Paakkonen.

Marcus Lang seems to be very skilled - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tedk7RPm18
Somehow reminds me Carlos Zema who is a beast too.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:37 pm 

Opus wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Have you heard Section X by Beyond Twilight? Amazing singing on an amazing album. Well over 65!

I've heard it and thought it was sort of mediocre. Alright background music but not something I'd like to listen to.

Phantom's Cyberchrist has been a pleasure lately. Fun ballsy speed/power even if it's not very original. Red alert! Red alert! :metal:

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm 

Opus wrote:
Weinerhall decided to change style when Blad left. Luckily he came to his senses, and thus brought back both Blad and the old style for Northwinds, which is on par with the debut.

Did you know that Elize and Elina Ryd sang backing vocals on the Kristoffer Gobel (2003) album? Elize would have been 13-14. :o

Since a lot of people might not be familiar with Steelheart, check out this live performance:

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:54 pm 

It dawned on me most of my favorite Euro-power vocalists are German.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:13 pm 

I just discovered Fabio Dessi (and the band Arthemis):

Edit: Alessio Garavello (more Italians!) was their original vocalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7vboNP89o

Perdition - With the discovery of Dessi, four of my top 5 favorite power metal vocalists are Italians. :headbang:

Edit: I totally forgot about Matt Smith from Theocracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fDHOTMggU

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:22 pm 

Speaking of Kelly Carpenter (and Beyond Twilight), here's a lyric video from the new Zierler Projects album:

Fucking mental, but I dig it.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 pm 

Speaking of Italians, what do you guys think of Alessandro Conti?

Here's him covering March of time.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:30 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvjiL5zQzU

He's one of my favorite power metal vocalists.

This song really shows Conti's ability:

Michele Luppi, Fabio Dessi, and Alessandro Conti. :headbang:

Last edited by TrueDynamite on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:39 pm 

colin040 wrote:

One singer I definitely find to be somewhat underrated is Guy Speranza from Riot. While not as much of a high wailer as Toony More, he just had such attitude in his voice that I love.

Then there's also Roy Khan during his Conception years and Tony Martin if I'm in the mood for more smooth, softer kind of vocalists. David DeFeis, Mike Howe, Urban Breed (who seems to have a good time maintaining his voice in shape, comparing the first Tad Morose album to that supergroup stuff or something he did recently)

yeah Outworld is the best. I really enjoy Outworld, though.

Khan is definitely best in Conception I think. His earlier stuff with Kamelot is good too.

@Emp

Here's Leone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb7XZy0fVlE

Chastain also has some disgustingly awesome guitar-playing.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 am 

I don't think this warrants a new thread, but here's a trailer for that upcoming Grave Digger re-recording album (in case anyone missed it):

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:18 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

At times Alessandro Conti is great but on the Luca Turilli's Rhapsody albums his voice sounds a bit wonky at times. He was great on the Trick or Treat albums.
His best performances were:
"Evil Needs Candy Too", "Back as a Pet", "Back to Life", "Paper Dragon", "Heavy Metal Bunga Bunga", and "Bright Eyes".

*Speaking of Luca Turilli's Rhapsody, I can't believe how boring the new album was. I really enjoyed "Ascending to Infinity" minus the final track, and I really liked his solo albums "Prophet of the Last Eclipse" & "The Infinite Wonders of Creation". (I haven't listened to "King of the Nordic Twilight" or any Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire albums he was involved with yet.) Anyway the best track off "Prometheus, Symphonia Ignis Divinus" was the one bloated with science fiction buzz word gibberish they used for the lyric video.

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:38 am 

Ravensire new song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsd9uJryMh4

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 am 

The Animator wrote:
Anyway the best track off "Prometheus, Symphonia Ignis Divinus" was the one bloated with science fiction buzz word gibberish they used for the lyric video.

NUCLEAR FIRE!!!! QUANTUM CYBORG GODS AND TITANS

Oh god. You've just got to love lyrics like that.

Obey the dolphin!

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:22 am 

Apparently he took lyrics from Rhapsody songs and mixed them together for that song. I actually really like that album (Prometheus, Rosenkreuz, and Il Tempo Degli Dei are my favorites). I never listened to Rhapsody/Luca Turilli projects before I bought it.

One note on that album: I believe it's listed that the bonus track only comes on the Digipak edition. I got the bonus track on the jewel case version.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:27 pm 

Speaking of Kelly Carpenter, Finn Zierler is back with a new album! With Kelly Carpenter back on vocals!
Bobby Jarzombek on drums and Per Nilsson on guitar! I'm a happy prog fan now!

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:48 pm 

^^^ Yeah, I posted a Zierler song (complete one) higher up on this page. Hopefully obtaining it won't be a pain in the ass (I hate ordering from the US - shipping costs almost as much as the CD and the exchange rate sucks). However, this is something I want enough I may get it regardless of cost.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:23 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
I totally forgot about Matt Smith from Theocracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fDHOTMggU

He is not such a great vocalist. Live... However his composing and songwriting is top notch! I would say that only Heavenly - Dust to Dust album is on the same level :D
In studio is every singer amazing. Even Tommy Reinxeed :D

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:45 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
^^^ Yeah, I posted a Zierler song (complete one) higher up on this page.

Hehe, it got lost amongst all the Italian tenors.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:49 pm 

I think Matt Smith is okay live.

How about Sho?

Kamijo has a unique voice, too.

I'll stop posting vocalists now. :)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:32 am 

Sampling this band Within Silence - pretty cool power/trad metal. Heavy, crisp and crunchy guitars. The vocals are only okay, but this sounds entertaining so far and they know how to rock out. Promising stuff.

SecretAznMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:25 am 

Lost Horizon. Daniel Heiman alone makes the band a pre-requisite for all power metal fans.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:45 pm 

As far as Italian vocalists go, I'd personally hand it to Rob Tyrant (specifically his performance on Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied) and Morby from Domine.

I know people are quite divided when it comes to Morby, but I personally think he's a great singer, and Domine are probably my favourite Euro Power Metal band.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:20 pm 

Was never a Domine fan, but Morby was unique and sang with conviction (I cannot emphasize how important this is).

I liked Terence Holler on those older Eldritch albums. He wasn't the best vocalist in the world, but seemed pretty genuine and sang with a lot of emotion.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:04 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Morby was unique and sang with conviction .

What do you mean was? I'm sure he still does.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:09 pm 

Oh, nothing was implied by tense. Is he or that band even active anymore?

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:27 pm 

I'm kind of surprised that nobody here has mentioned Vittorio Ballerio from Adramelch, as far as Italian power metal singers go. I feel like failsafeman would be so disappointed.

Speaking of, I know that he mentioned Seikima-II, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that The End of the Century, their second album, is pretty consistent. It definitely does have some tracks stand out more than others (like Jack the Ripper), but I don't think that any of it is a miss.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 pm 

Oh hey, I didn't know Van Canto released an album last year. They were kinda fun. I guess it won't hurt to take a quick lis--JESUS CHRIST KILL IT WITH FIRE

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497 ... 625  Next