Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
That album sounds slow for 84. Shit it even sounds slow for 83.

Man, what are you talking about? Slow for 84 compared to what? Yeah there was Omen's debut, Leatherwolf's debut, a few other good ones, but USPM barely existed in 1984 and existed even less in 1983. And who the fuck cares what year something was released anyway? I saw Helstar perform songs off of the debut back at Warriors of Metal in 2012 and they fucking ruled. You're the one who went home early!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 pm 

I know that really upset you and I'm sorry. You made me miss Borrowed Time and I'll never forgive you.

Compared to Venom, Raven, and Maiden. That's who.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 pm 

No it's OK though, I saw Borrowed Time before that. They were awesome! I was actually really impressed how well they pulled off "Sailor on the Seas of Fate", including all the vocal parts. Afterwards I talked to JP about how much he fucking loves Virgin Steele, apparently he even bought his girlfriend the "Snakeskin Voodoo Man" music video on VHS.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:56 pm 

Theory: the classic King Diamond era (first 5 albums, particularly Abigail-Conspiracy) are definitive early power/prog! Sure, calling them straight up heavy metal is fine, but they have all the hallmarks of of 80s prog: super involved and over the top vocal delivery, complex and dense song structures jumping through different genres (speed/thrash/power), heightened presence of keyboards, and of course LaRocques insane, hypnotizing neoclassical leads. And that doesn't even get into the constant concept albums. It all seems like a distinctly more European take on what Fates Warning and Crimson Glory were doing at the time.

Anyone else buy into it? I noticed Pagan's Mind covered "At the Graves" and it all fell into place.

Also, any recommendations on the best Dark Forest album to get into? For new bands I usually jump into their most recent release, but the 70+ minute running time made me hesitate.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:12 pm 

I'm pretty partial to the newest Dark Forest album, though the runtime can seem daunting.

Man, Voodoo Child's Adrenaline has been growing on me like crazy recently. Huge melodies and quality riffs all over the place!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 am 

Every year I just hope we'll finally see that new Seasons Of The Wolf album come out.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:24 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Theory: the classic King Diamond era (first 5 albums, particularly Abigail-Conspiracy) are definitive early power/prog! Sure, calling them straight up heavy metal is fine, but they have all the hallmarks of of 80s prog: super involved and over the top vocal delivery, complex and dense song structures jumping through different genres (speed/thrash/power), heightened presence of keyboards, and of course LaRocques insane, hypnotizing neoclassical leads. And that doesn't even get into the constant concept albums. It all seems like a distinctly more European take on what Fates Warning and Crimson Glory were doing at the time.

Anyone else buy into it? I noticed Pagan's Mind covered "At the Graves" and it all fell into place.

Well sure, because they were a continuation of MERCYFUL FATE who were very musically progressive and ambitious for their time. Take that and add LaRoque and Dee's virtuosity.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm 

I was Lucky enough to see Borrowed Time and they were incredible, they played with Demontage, Cauchemar, Occultation and Metalian here (STACKED lineup). J-P is a sweetheart and he was awesome with Funeral Circle as well at Wings of Metal. I would like to see Demon Bitch now!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:24 pm 

Classic King Diamond is even proggier than stuff like Crimson Glory imo. They're definitely old-school prog metal in my book.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:55 am 

So I stumbled upon this today:

Seems like a slight improvement over the original mix...I think?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:39 am 

Huge improvement, to my ears. You can actually hear instruments other than the piano.

That said, I think the piano might actually be a bit too quiet in this mix.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Classic King Diamond is even proggier than stuff like Crimson Glory imo. They're definitely old-school prog metal in my book.

Definitely! Never agreed with those who classify CRIMSON GLORY as a prog metal band.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 pm 

Well, Crimson Glory is more heavy/power metal than prog, probably, but debating about which genre to tag to use when it's 60% genre X and 40% genre Y just seems silly to me. Call it power/prog, move on.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:47 am 

I wanna share a new Blazon Stone track from upcoming album "Down In The Dark" :headbang:

Mix is not 100% finished but you get the idea.
The new album will be more riffy and overall faster than previous releases.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 am 

This Cloven Hoof debut is really something - I hadn't really heard it before I don't think. Failsafeman's review is right that the longer tracks are really stellar... that opening title song is just a clinic in heavy, bludgeoning classic metal riffs and hollering, badass vocals and "Gates of Gehenna" is on now and is smoking... a super ferocious, beastly tune. "Nightstalker" sounds like 70s Priest at their most pugilistic.

Good shit.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 am 

I was genuinely taken aback that you hadn't heard it. I expect that sort of shit from XxxXXXxXXX and stainedclass2112. But you've been around here forever! I agree that the hot rockin' tunes don't stand up to the immensity of the epics, but I think that balance is exactly what makes the album perfect. Laying Down the Law makes Return of the Passover sound even MORE incredible.

I love their later USPM-y stuff, but the s/t debut is the pinnacle of atmospheric NWOBHM for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 am 

I don't think I could find it before. Probably didn't look all that hard. This stuff didn't just used to be available on Youtube like it is now though...

Sultan's Ransom was the one I always played a lot back then. It's just been ages since I was huge into really old school metal, so I jumped around to a lot of different things.

The shorter songs weren't doing much for me the first time I played this, the other day. But now they sound pretty damn solid - just fun, brass-balled heavy metal.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:27 am 

Shit, tell me about it. I had to track down a cassette tape version and that was the only way I had to play it for a few years. Once I got a record player I grabbed the LP though. It's absolutely one of my most prized possessions and has that special mental asterisk next to it that states "This is one of those records that confirms everything I love about heavy metal."

The hot rockin' songs do take a little longer to embed themselves. The other 3 are so distractingly great.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:52 pm 

I found this awhile back, but kind of forgot about it until today. It's really solid German heavy/speed metal, kind of like early Blind Guardian. It's a shame that they only put out a couple of demos, because I really think this band could've done some amazing things given some more time!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm 

Other than Crack the Whip being pretty stupid, that Cloven Hoof debut really is amazing. Dominator is also rock solid, despite being let down by the production.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 pm 

Jonpo, about the CH debut, wrote:
I was genuinely taken aback that you hadn't heard it. I expect that sort of shit from XxxXXXxXXX and stainedclass2112.

Yo, I've been here for five years already! I'm not that much of a newbie :lol:

But yeah, the Cloven Hoof debut is really good shit, even if I almost never spin it over A Sultan's Ransom. This has more to do with the latter falling more within the confines of what I usually crave than any fault of the former, though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm 

Hahah I was just fucking with you. I know you've been around for awhile. I was honestly surprised you hadn't heard it either. It's an album that I've never been able to shake since the first listen. I adore it. It's one of those life-affirming joints.

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Other than Crack the Whip being pretty stupid, that Cloven Hoof debut really is amazing. Dominator is also rock solid, despite being let down by the production.

I dig Crack the Whip! It's like they wanted to force themselves to write ONE fucking commercially viable song and then they still slip up and add that super heavy outro. Woops! Laying Down the Law is my favorite of the hot rockin' tracks though. It's impossible not to sing along with the chorus.

Dave Potter was on one for that album. His performance on the title track is god-tier. He has that ultra-masculine bellow, and then those fucking falsetto's on Gates of Gehenna! FUCK!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:52 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
I found this awhile back, but kind of forgot about it until today. It's really solid German heavy/speed metal, kind of like early Blind Guardian. It's a shame that they only put out a couple of demos, because I really think this band could've done some amazing things given some more time!

Yeah, Whestone is pretty cool, the vocalist is about as close as you can get to Hansi this side of Jens Carlsson. The songs are mostly rough and unpolished, but good stuff, with an epic sort of atmosphere. Definitely a shame they didn't grow into something better.

macmoney wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 am 

Welp, the new Battle Beast is easily the worst they've released. Still has a few great tunes, but the killer-to-filler ratio is, like, 1:3. Super, super disappointing.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 am 

A couple of days ago I pre-ordered Ezra Brook's debut full-length from the Barbarian Wrath bandcamp page and have been playing the download while waiting for the physical copy to ship out. It's pretty damn killer and charmingly quirky. I'll need more time with it but I can already tell this one is special.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:33 pm 

So thanks to a random name drop from RNG in the Thinking Man Metal thread, I checked out this band Garden Wall. Italian prog, but the album I checked out, at least - Chimica - is totally prog in the old school sense, has a lot of prog rock influence, is very intelligently written, just cool stuff in the vein of Brothers Grimm, Sider, or Psychotic Waltz. It has a lot of keys but they're not masturbatory a la Dream Theater at all - sometimes they actually carry the main melody for awhile, but at no point is the metalness or songwriting quality compromised. Highly recommended to the prog fans!

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:57 am 

Helstar kicked ass when I saw them last Friday. There were two tunes that made me think ''what they are they playing?'' but I figured those were of their modern thrash metal era. Aside from that they played plenty of stuff from Vampiro and plenty of their first 4 obviously. Fun band and you could tell they were grateful for playing here, too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 pm 

This Enbound band is pretty sweet Europower - crunchy and compact and with a real feel for hooks. I'd heard some bad things about their debut, but I like this song, so maybe I'll dig the whole album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lySYCcIDc5E

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:25 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
MammothRider wrote:

Yeah, Whestone is pretty cool, the vocalist is about as close as you can get to Hansi this side of Jens Carlsson. The songs are mostly rough and unpolished, but good stuff, with an epic sort of atmosphere. Definitely a shame they didn't grow into something better.

Actually the guy sounds exactly like Dee Snider, which isn't bad at all either :headbang:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:00 pm 

Man, I couldn't disagree more with the recent negative Pharaoh reviews by some of you guys. I don't think any of it is wanky or 'go nowhere melodies' - their recent two are pretty much the most focused, sharp, inventive metal I know from the modern day.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:26 pm 

Well I mean, if you're looking at it from a europower perspective I could sort of see where one would like that, since it's a more vocal driven genre and less riff driven. But it's a pretty far cry from the USPM style, and really isn't riff-focused at all, so I think you could see where someone like me would come from on something like that.

EDIT: I also did say in the review that I actually prefer Be Gone, which I do consider somewhat more focused, I'd probably give that one about a 70. Bury the Light, though...

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 pm 

I mostly like their stuff for the vocals and those guitars combined - it sort of is more vocal driven then USPM, but I like that in general anyway. I don't usually listen to stuff that puts the vocals on the backburner much these days. But for Pharaoh I dig the super complex songwriting and atypical guitar melodies and riff interplay they use. I think it's forward thinking and interesting. I guess liking Seventh Son more than really early Maiden helps that too.

Definitely not trying to bash your taste though man... just interesting how people vary in that stuff I suppose.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:37 pm 

Yeah, I mean even saying "riff" interplay sounds weird to me...it's always leads that are complex to the point that there aren't too many repeating motifs except when they go for the more traditional riffs like on "I Am the Hammer." I don't hear any real hooks at all in Pharaoh's leads, it's certainly super complex and atypical, and perhaps even "forward thinking," but after hearing an album like TLN 7-8 times I still don't hear any hooks at all among those complex leads and it completely fails to engage me, I always just feel the urge to put on something else.

macmoney wrote:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:38 pm 

I'm very iffy on Pharaoh, too--The Longest Night is my preferred album of theirs, but it's a complete snoozefest when it's not being "By the Night Sky," "Sunrise," "Fighting," or "I am the Hammer."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:40 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Yeah, I mean even saying "riff" interplay sounds weird to me...it's always leads that are complex to the point that there aren't too many repeating motifs except when they go for the more traditional riffs like on "I Am the Hammer." I don't hear any real hooks at all in Pharaoh's leads, it's certainly super complex and atypical, and perhaps even "forward thinking," but after hearing an album like TLN 7-8 times I still don't hear any hooks at all among those complex leads and it completely fails to engage me, I always just feel the urge to put on something else.

I just meant the riffs and the melodies together. Not really a musician so maybe that's the wrong term or something. Both of them together work very well - I would like it less if it was just straight ahead Omen-style riffs in Pharaoh's case. Not that Omen isn't awesome too.

The Longest Night I think is very good, though a few filler tracks in the last half always made it weaker than the two following ones which are pretty much perfect for me.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:48 pm 

Yeah, to each their own. I'm not sure being more like Omen would especially help Pharaoh, some kind of middle ground between the utterly inaccessible leads and the much more simple riffs that pop up would probably make me prefer them, something more like Cauldron Born or Helstar maybe.

Anyway...I do think "Telepath" from Be Gone is a pretty cool song! That one was always the one that grabbed onto me the most out of their discography. There's a few other songs on Be Gone I like, but that one seemed more direct and succinct to me. I would like it if Tim Aymar would sing in something that's more up my alley, anyway, I'm not much for Control Denied, either. Great vocalist, to be sure.

macmoney wrote:

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:20 am 

So Im looking for some fresh and solid Power metal. Bands no more than 3 year old with good production, it doesn't matter the style (except symphonic). Lately I've been into other genre and would like to know how modern PM bands sound like.

For instance there's this new band, Ancestral Dawn from Peru. A metal opera with folk influences featuring from Ralf Scheepers to Fabio Lione (yup he sing here too)- This is the preview video.

Thanks in advance

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:52 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Man, I couldn't disagree more with the recent negative Pharaoh reviews by some of you guys. I don't think any of it is wanky or 'go nowhere melodies' - their recent two are pretty much the most focused, sharp, inventive metal I know from the modern day.

I'm not sure how on earth you could call Bury the Light "focused" or "sharp." It meanders all over the goddamn place. None of the songs know what they want to do, and a lot of the odd-timed riffs are just don't work.

I love The Longest Night, and a few of the tracks on Be Gone, but Pharaoh are a really frustrating band, on the whole.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:51 am 

gomorro wrote:
So Im looking for some fresh and solid Power metal. Bands no more than 3 year old with good production, it doesn't matter the style (except symphonic). Lately I've been into other genre and would like to know how modern PM bands sound like.

Looks like it's time for me to shamelessly plug Mary's Blood again! You'll have to settle for a live video because Japan is the devil when it comes to YouTube. :[

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:27 pm 

Admittedly I'm a bit of a raging fanboy, but I consider every Pharaoh album to be at least solid. I love The Longest Night, but over the last couple of years Be Gone has grown on me a whole lot.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547 ... 624  Next