Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Grave_Wyrm - You could try with Atlantean Kodex, it's a lot like Warlord, but a little doomier.
Check out The White Goddess.

cheeeerz. I've been meaning to look at Atlantean Kodex for a while now. Glad this intersection occurred. Never heard of The White Goddess. My day off tomorrow will be filled with much hearings.

@ANA: ach .. Your joke on me forced me into the DORKY world of GARTH MARENGHI!! :fuck:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:01 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Hey, failsafeman. Got anything for me in the vein of engrossing book-like albums? Not necessarily like Warlord, but of that type of broad experience? I know you like books. :)

I'm not failsafeman, but he and I like a lot of the same types of books and bands, so perhaps I could shed some light here.

The closest thing to a book-like album I've ever come across is Longings Past's Meadows of Maseilya, it's an original concept that plays a lot like a book. Sort of a coming-of-age story focusing on a protagonist with a lot of soft, reflective sections but definitely solidly metal. Their second album, An Angel's Tale, is pretty bookish if you don't count "The Goddess", which seemingly has nothing to do with the rest of the album. It's not as metal (nor as strong in my opinion), but it's definitely got some cool stuff. Reminds me a bit of some of the Dragonriders of Pern stories, especially the ones with female protagonists. Dragonsinger maybe was the main one? Anyway, good stuff. I've got reviews for both albums.

I've been getting into Holocaust's Covenant recently, a progressive concept album based on the first Thomas Covenant trilogy. Failsafeman has a review for it and it's an excellent album, does the story very well and has a pretty cohesive feel. It sounds pretty unique to me, though failsafeman says it sounds like Voivod - I wouldn't know, not very familiar with that band. Either way, quality stuff.

Not sure how much you're familiar with but there are more obvious examples as well; Virgin Steele has released six concept albums, if you're looking for a starting point I'd say Marriage II is by far the most engrossing and immersing. Atreus I is also pretty good at that but it has a lot of interludes, so be prepared for that. Hanker's The Dead Ringer is also a really good choice, it's a concept album with a really personal feel, excellent lyrics, and great songwriting. Empyreal has a good review of it.

Stormbringer (IL)'s "Stealer of Souls", despite being a demo, is basically a concept album on Elric of Melnibone (if you couldn't tell), and has a pretty story-like progression, from aggression and confusion at the beginning to reflection at the end. Also definitely check out Kamelot's Epica and The Black Halo if you haven't yet, they're great examples of this. There are a few other bands that give me this feeling to a lesser extent, but this should be a good starting point. Hope you find some enjoyable stuff!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:53 am 

suleiman wrote:
Please do not take this the wrong way, but have you heard Show No Mercy ?

proto - Speed Metal with zero balledry and minimum number of slow/midpaced stuff. Though I do admit, it crosses over into thrash on occasion.

I'm only familiar with a couple of songs off of Show No Mercy, but I'm definitely interested in hearing more once I can buy a copy of it. I think it might be a bit too thrash-oriented for what I'm looking for, though.

failsafeman wrote:
For something more modern, try Speed Trap. Full speed at high level.

Aha! This is perfect, thank you very much. :) If you have anything else like these guys I'd love to hear it.

WaywardSon, I'm vaguely familiar with bits and pieces of Agent Steel's discography, but I'll check out their debut in particular and get back to you.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 am 

Speedtrap are insane, checked them out earlier. Clannfear, how about some Stallion? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUToTcD0h3c

Man, I searched the board for mention of Visigoth's Final Spell EP and I found none. I think they're great! I really dig the vocals and the each of their songs have a great vibe. Both the 2012 EP and their 2010 demo are available on their bandcamp.
http://visigoth.bandcamp.com/

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 am 

For all the complaints about Savatage, at least they could put on a good show;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJlxw-LYlM

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:08 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Hope you find some enjoyable stuff!

Great haul, man! Thank you. On that list I'm only marginally familiar with Virgin Steele. They'd gotten my attention with Invictus and The House of Atreus, and of course Noble Savage, but I haven't had the time to give any of them a proper go. Glad to hear they're worth it. Thanks, man. Appreciated!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Speedtrap are insane, checked them out earlier. Clannfear, how about some Stallion? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUToTcD0h3c

Man, I searched the board for mention of Visigoth's Final Spell EP and I found none. I think they're great! I really dig the vocals and the each of their songs have a great vibe. Both the 2012 EP and their 2010 demo are available on their bandcamp.
http://visigoth.bandcamp.com/

Visigoth is fantastic, have been enjoying that EP quite a bit lately.

And woweezowee Speedtrap is RAD! Just the kind of shit I enjoy, good on whoever brought them up initially. I must say I'm a little disappointed in that the cover of Raw Deal is photoshopped and they didn't actually chainsaw through a speaker cabinet. I do like the nod to Exciter though, if that was the intention.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:00 pm 

DeathBySuicide wrote:

:bow:

MutantClannfear - Are you familiar with Running Wild? If not check out this masterpiece: Blazon Stone. The fast-paced stuff starts around 1:30.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:39 am 

DeathBySuicide wrote:

That was an incredible set list. The Savatage I am familiar with and damn it, I miss Ray Gillen!!! A fine gentleman.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:29 am 

So High Spirits just fuckin' KILL! I'm super into this record. Recently I've also heard War Cry, Alien Force, and Mythra who are all pretty good bands.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:40 pm 

This Demon Bitch demo that I got from V. Ruiz is special. I wasn't expecting a lot because of the name but they don't sound like anyone else out right now. Heavy shades of Brocas Helm, some Hoof and Hell, but they're striking me as standing quite alone with these songs.

This is probably my favorite track of the 3 (right now):
Devil Ram Spirit

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:49 pm 

That's pretty cool, man. The production is definitely not bad for a demo as well.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:00 pm 

Right? They could put out a whole album with that sound and I'd be over the moon. Highly recommend listening to all 3 tracks from the demo. "Devil Love" is the most Brocas Helm-sy by far. It has that nimble gallop and a tasteful lead pretty much going non-stop underneath. Very reminiscent of Fly High.

I ended up with this tape just because he didn't have change but its even better than the stuff I was actually trying to buy.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 am 

Could you guys please suggest some covers of classic metal/rock songs by heavy/power metal bands that you consider worthwhile.

Here are some of the ones I like;

Queensryche - Neon Knights (Black Sabbath)

Jag Panzer - Children Of The Sea (Black Sabbath)

W.A.S.P - Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)

Metal Church - Highway Star (Deep Purple)

Gamma Ray - Exciter (Judas Priest)

Blind Guardian - The Wizard (Uriah Heep)

Fates Warning - Closer To The Heart (Rush)

Riot - Out In The Fields (Thin Lizzy)

Helloween - Electric Eye (Judas Priest)

Tad Morose - Gates of Babylon (Rainbow)

Domain - Rats In The Cellar (Aersomith)

Dungeon - Caught Somewhere In Time (Iron Maiden)

It always disheartens me when a death/black band takes on a traditional metal song and totally "darkens" it, draining it of its original fire in some attempt at morbid interpretation. I always thought power metal bands were better at redefining these songs and obviously some of the songs on my list above might not be appreciated by all but there's some pretty faithful renditions on there like Queensryche's superb take on "Neon Knights", Gamma Ray's "Exciter" and most stunning of all, Dungeon's interpretation of Maiden's "Caught Somewhere In Time".

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:22 am 

Fates Warning - Sign of the Southern Cross (Black Sabbath)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56 am 

Virgin Steele - Screaming for Vengeance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUp2MRomzn4

Virgin Steele - Desert Plains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rz3iJTr7zI

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:35 pm 

Listening to the new Solstice EP. :D

I didn't realize they'd gotten the Arcane Sun vocalist. He's pretty awesome on Arcane Sun's debut s/t, good death/doom.

Fuck yes Rich Walker! I missed you after Isen Torr.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 am 

colin040 wrote:
Virgin Steele - Screaming for Vengeance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUp2MRomzn4

Virgin Steele - Desert Plains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rz3iJTr7zI

Pretty solid Priest covers by VS. I love what they did to "Desert Plains" but I was disappointed with David's vocals in "Screaming For Vengeance". I thought he'd go all out.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:54 pm 

Well, regarding covers, there's Riot's version of Purple's Burn, which is admittedly pretty badass. Hell, DiMeo is almost a dead ringer for Coverdale here. I also like what Helstar did with Scorpions' He's a Woman, She's a Man. Never before has a light hearted tune about transexuality been so epic :lol:

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:27 pm 

The entire "Holy Dio" tribute album is exactly what you need!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:53 pm 

Any teasers for the new Hell album knocking about? I done a quick google search and came up with nothing.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hell-n ... streaming/

WARNING: Contains Sneap sound and a techno breakdown!

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:02 pm 

^ Sounds solid, I actually found the techno breakdown to be of good taste. I dig the album cover style a lot.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:19 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hell-new-single-the-age-of-nefarious-available-for-streaming/

WARNING: Contains Sneap sound and a techno breakdown!

Sounds amazing. I cant wait to hear the rest.
Warning: Hipsters may want to avoid. It doesn't sound like a $100.00 basement recording.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:32 pm 

From Howie's fb:
Quote:
I am thinking I would like to put out some sort of Briton Rites demo while we are waiting for the rest of the analog equipment to be repaired for my studio. What would you guys be willing to pay for a three song demo on CD in a paper sleeve with artwork? I need to be able to cover duplication costs.

The demo sounds like it would have the two released demo songs from the new album as well as a third unreleased song. I'm usually a pretty cheap pirating prick but this seems pretty cool (especially considering I have a raging hard-on for the first demo song), particularly if it helps fund the next full-length. It seems like Howie checks this thread fairly often as well so if you guys would buy this definitely say so! Looking forward to it, anyway. We've been BR and CB-deprived for awhile.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:42 pm 

I think $10 would be fair. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm 

Would it be an actual CD or just a CDR? If it's the latter, I'll pass on the physical media. I'd be fine with paying $2.98 for three mp3s or whatever though.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 pm 

I'm pretty sure Howie said it would be a legitimate CD.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 am 

I need some cheering up, can anyone recommend some wacky power metal songs?
Stuff like:
"Save Us Now" by Edguy
"Dr. Stein" by Helloween
"Evil Needs Candy Too" by Trick or Treat
"Mr. Starlight" by Lancer
"Money" by Gamma Ray

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:55 am 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
Could you guys please suggest some covers of classic metal/rock songs by heavy/power metal bands that you consider worthwhile.

Here are some of the ones I like;

Queensryche - Neon Knights (Black Sabbath)

Jag Panzer - Children Of The Sea (Black Sabbath)

W.A.S.P - Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)

Metal Church - Highway Star (Deep Purple)

Gamma Ray - Exciter (Judas Priest)

Blind Guardian - The Wizard (Uriah Heep)

Fates Warning - Closer To The Heart (Rush)

Riot - Out In The Fields (Thin Lizzy)

Helloween - Electric Eye (Judas Priest)

Tad Morose - Gates of Babylon (Rainbow)

Domain - Rats In The Cellar (Aersomith)

Dungeon - Caught Somewhere In Time (Iron Maiden)

It always disheartens me when a death/black band takes on a traditional metal song and totally "darkens" it, draining it of its original fire in some attempt at morbid interpretation. I always thought power metal bands were better at redefining these songs and obviously some of the songs on my list above might not be appreciated by all but there's some pretty faithful renditions on there like Queensryche's superb take on "Neon Knights", Gamma Ray's "Exciter" and most stunning of all, Dungeon's interpretation of Maiden's "Caught Somewhere In Time".

Queensryche's cover is right on the money. I love how Geoff interpretes Dio.

Dream Theater covered Iron Maiden's "The Number Of The Beast" in its entirety live. When I first heard it, I thought it was a fucking drag to get through but I listened to it again a couple of times recently and I think it treads on well. What they did to "Gangland" elevated that song out of the insipid and I love their take on "The Prisoner". Everything else is pretty much a note for note account.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:37 am 

Dantesco does a great cover of The Dungeons Are Calling. It really is uncanny.
The best that I ever heard though was Destiny's End taking on King Diamond's Dressed In White. So perfect! Overkill is not a power metal band but I thought it was interesting that they covered Manowar's Death Tone. Virgin Steele's "Desert Plains" version is great but the "Screaming For Vengeance" one is dreadful. I always wanted them to take on Led Zeppelin and I feel they didn't disappoint with When The Levee Breaks. Gamma Ray's "Victim Of Changes" is also nicely done as is Blind Guardian's "Beyond The Realms of Death".

I also liked Queensryche's version of Pink Floyd's Welcome To The Machine and I'll second Riot's "Burn". Slough Feg's Fast Taker is also loads of fun.

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:38 am 

Evertale - anyone heard them, bloody fantastic new band!
German power metal, guess what it sounds like? That's right, Blind Guardian, the way they are supposed to sound. I'm sold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvkCNno4diQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F1yM-SI9uk

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 am 

I actually like Virgin Steele's take on Screaming for Vengeance about as much as the original, if not more. DeFeis isn't Halford, but he's not trying to be; they really made the song their own, and it works. Also, Rob ReMartino fucking kills.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:03 pm 

Opus wrote:
Evertale - anyone heard them, bloody fantastic new band!
German power metal, guess what it sounds like? That's right, Blind Guardian, the way they are supposed to sound. I'm sold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvkCNno4diQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F1yM-SI9uk

Thanks for posting this - when this CD is released, I'll certainly buy it. This is the first new German power metal band I've enjoyed since... Orden Ogan! (back when "Vale" first came out).

Speaking of German pm, any news on Dark at Dawn? I liked their "Noneternal" MCD quite a bit, and I'm hoping they'll record a full-length soon (yeah, they reformed with the original line-up back in 2012, in case anyone missed it).

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Queensryche's cover is right on the money. I love how Geoff interpretes Dio.

I beg to differ. Geoff sounds all warbly (in a bad way) and biteless in the 'ryche's version of the song.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
I actually like Virgin Steele's take on Screaming for Vengeance about as much as the original, if not more. DeFeis isn't Halford, but he's not trying to be; they really made the song their own, and it works. Also, Rob ReMartino fucking kills.

Yeah I've liked it ever since I've heard the cover right away. The only thing I could do without is the short spoken part and while...the song is called screaming for vengeance...so I wish DeFeis would have screamed the final chorus out. His feminine tone can be cool, but isn't appropiate for a song such as this. Still, the song demonstrates a nice different vocal style. DeFeis belts his heart out on this one while Halford sung it slightly lighter and relied on resonance more - yet both work fine.

I'm curious how VS cover of '"Black Sabbath'''and ''Immigrant Song'' would turn out though. Can't wait for the reissues to come out.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:53 am 

That is exactly my problem with it. DeFeis should have been on fire with it, instead he opted for a much quieter tone. I'm sure they will nail "Immigrant Song". Not too sure about "Black Sabbath" though.

A lot of bands have failed to cover that song right. I don't even like the version with Dio on vocals on that infamous live album.

-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:52 am 

I like that version with Dio on vocals. Then again, I can hardly listen to Ozzy so ehh...:p

So it's about 2 weeks to go before the new Tad Morose album will come out. I hope it will be great but I can imagine it being as uneven as some of their earlier stuff too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 pm 

My expectations are really low. Maybe it will actually surprise me that way.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 pm 

any ideas (besides, say, Sabaton's other edition of their latest album) on some classic (not too high-pitched) and
quite anthemnic heavy metal with scandinavian (doesn't matter if finnish, swedish, norwegian, icelandic…) lyrics?

thanks...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 ... 625  Next