Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:41 am 

The vocals do sound weird, but honestly I think part of the problem is they're just too quiet in the mix. They're totally fucking buried by the guitars. The riffs sound fucking fantastic, though.

The first demo track, In Hell I Will Rule, has fine-sounding vocals.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 am 

failsafeman wrote:
The vocals do sound weird, but honestly I think part of the problem is they're just too quiet in the mix. They're totally fucking buried by the guitars. The riffs sound fucking fantastic, though.

The first demo track, In Hell I Will Rule, has fine-sounding vocals.

Yeah, buried is another word that I'd absolutely use. Good to hear that it is *is* going to be rerecorded! Vocals being buried always puts me off of stuff pretty badly, so I think I'll just wait for the final version before really listening to this one much :P

In Hell I Will Rule sounds absolutely fine though, agreed. Killer track, if a bit straightforward.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 pm 

Eh, I wasn't really that impressed with the new BR track. It sounds too much like a couple of songs from the previous album, except not as good. "Vampire Hunter" in particular rings a bell, as does "Karnstein Castle" at times. "In Hell I Will Rule" though is probably my favorite doom song ever, so I have high hopes for this album nonetheless.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:48 am 

Well, here it is on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGHpUNV ... Ig4sXpRm5Q

Sounds better than on that radio show, the vocals sound somewhat better. Phil Swanson's parts sound mostly fine, it's the other vocals (either him doing another voice or Howie himself, I can't tell) that need to be louder for sure. Also I disagree Jophelerx, the song has some very tasty riffs, the bridge riff for example (comes in at about 4:30) is one of my favorites they've done.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 am 

I kind of dig this... but um, BRING ON MORE CAULDRON BORN!!!

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 am 

The Cauldron Born album will be out before Briton Rites, as far as I know.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 am 

I did listen to the song again on YouTube, and it was a bit better than my initial estimation suggested. The riffs are indeed pretty cool, but the vocal lines feel bland and rehashed as hell. A decent song, but not great. Still, definitely looking forward to the new Cauldron Born and Briton Rites! I've been spinning both lately...although Cauldron Born's second album seems to keep mysteriously disappearing off my iPod for some reason. I'll have to put it back on for the fourth or fifth time now...

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 am 

i have made it a habit to drop by this thread once in while because it is basically the most metal thread on the net :)

and always, i have the same question :

any NEW bands who can rip it up like crimson glory's debut...one would think that there would be a whole league of them, but alas all the good ones are from the 80's

would be great to hear those kind of songs with today's production

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 am 

suleiman wrote:

It'd be better to hear them with 1980s production. :)

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 am 

suleiman wrote:
i have made it a habit to drop by this thread once in while because it is basically the most metal thread on the net :)

any NEW bands who can rip it up like crimson glory's debut...one would think that there would be a whole league of them, but alas all the good ones are from the 80's

In short, no, not really. There are some compilations of older material, but for the most part there really just isn't anything post-2000 that fills this description. The closest thing I can think of is Othyrworld, which has a couple of new songs on their album.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:41 am 

Are any fellow metal freaks here into Wolf? You know, the Swedish guys who are known mostly for the infamously godawful artwork their debut has? Well, the thing is that I got into them yesterday through their album The Black Flame, and it kicks ass. To give yourself a good idea of its sound, imagine a mix between Horror Show era Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, and Mercyful Fate, all with a bit of a thrashing edge, a modern production, extremely meaty riffs and a vocalist that sounds like Geddy Lee with the personality and inflection of King Diamond. I know, it sounds weird, but believe me, the record's great.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 am 

Anyone who doesn't like that cover art isn't worthy of praising the mighty Wolf. One of my favorite album covers for sure.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am 

Oh come on Joph, that cover art is ridiculous. Maybe charming in its amateurish nature, but still very bad. The music contained within the album itself is awesome though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:52 am 

We talk about Wolf and consequently that album cover every 5 or 6 pages. For the record they were a solid band up until The Black Flame, where they took off as one of the modern day best metal bands...Ravenous was a bit weak, but Legions of Bastards is another A-game album, with heavy as fuck riffing and tons of attitude. :metal: You heard that one yet Xlxlx?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:53 am 

It's probably in my 10 favorite album covers, and I'm totally serious. That wolf looks badass as hell and the vultures are so full of awesome. So yes, it is ridiculous...ridiculously genius!

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 am 

Trad metal fans tend to think anything amateurish or goofy as fuck is charming.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
(...) Legions of Bastards is another A-game album, with heavy as fuck riffing and tons of attitude. :metal: You heard that one yet Xlxlx?

Listening to Vicious Companions off that very album, and man, does this thing rip. I'll keep listening, though it's gonna be hard to top The Black Flame for me. That's just such an immediately gratifying yet memorable album..... And I've only been listening to it since yesterday!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:00 pm 

Heh heh heh...I've been listening to TBF basically since it came out...wow.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 pm 

I've mainly been listening to LoB lately...might be time to spin TBF some more soon.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 pm 

so, guys, anyone her can name me some vocalists in a very (very!) similar way to Eric Adams and David DeFeis? So far the only one
coming to my mind is (partly) Tarek from Majesty/Metalforce...

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:34 pm 

Thought Ravenous was better than Legions of Bastards, that's not a slight on the latter. It's a solid 8/10 album. Ravenous and The Black Flame are better in my eyes. I still love his lyrics, people can say they are corny and very silly, but man, Jekyll and Hyde is fantastic (the girls from school always were so cruel, nothing like the ladies at the morgue!) Kursk is awesome as well.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:53 pm 

I love cheesy lyrics about the supernatural when well done, and especially so when coupled with some no bullshit heavy metal. The two things go together like bread and butter.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:01 pm 

New track from Züül:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgWBYyiJnNk

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:42 pm 

Awesome band. Great track.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:18 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
so, guys, anyone her can name me some vocalists in a very (very!) similar way to Eric Adams and David DeFeis? So far the only one
coming to my mind is (partly) Tarek from Majesty/Metalforce...

Brian Osborne from Enchanter always reminded me of Eric Adams.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:41 pm 

I... think I've made a slight comparison there myself during a few Enchanter songs. It's always moments though, in general I'd say Brian is comparable to other USPM singers. But yeah, I've made the Eric Adams connection before haha.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:51 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
suleiman wrote:

It'd be better to hear them with 1980s production. :)

you are right :) , though to be exact i defintiely did not mean today's metalcore/deathcore style pristine mid-scooped protooled over compressed atrocities. I just meant that some clarity that is the benefit of modern technology would greatly enhance this style of super metal.

but alas, no one is apparently into making timeless metal classscis like "azrael" or "dragon lady" anymore :(

would have been great to see this line of songwriting develop more.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
suleiman wrote:

In short, no, not really. There are some compilations of older material, but for the most part there really just isn't anything post-2000 that fills this description. The closest thing I can think of is Othyrworld, which has a couple of new songs on their album.

i have heard some othyrworld a coupla years ago maybe (my hazy memory recalls prog metal similar to a more mature classic QR), but i will definitely check em out again.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 am 

Dandelo wrote:
Thought Ravenous was better than Legions of Bastards, that's not a slight on the latter. It's a solid 8/10 album. Ravenous and The Black Flame are better in my eyes. I still love his lyrics, people can say they are corny and very silly, but man, Jekyll and Hyde is fantastic (the girls from school always were so cruel, nothing like the ladies at the morgue!) Kursk is awesome as well.

Yeah, Ravenous and TBF are definitely better than the new one.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 am 

Hey guys! I'm sure this has been asked before at more than one point in this thread, but I'm too tired to search right now. Are there any newer bands out there that has a similar sound to Grave Digger? I'm thinking a lot about Boltendahl's vocals in particular. I have heard a couple of bands that has a similar style already (Paragon, Iron Savior, Primal Fear (To some extent at least), Lonewolf) and it's all good. I also love bands like Rage and Running Wild, so I guess what I'm searching for is newer Heavy/Power/Speed Metal that has that German sound to them.

I have by the way been crazy listening to Clash of The Gods lately. What a great album that is. It's especially fitting for me, seeing as I listen a lot to thrash (not as much as I did before though). This album has pretty much everything I could ask for. Harsher vocals, killer riffs, and catchy as hell songs.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:50 am 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
Hey guys! I'm sure this has been asked before at more than one point in this thread, but I'm too tired to search right now. Are there any newer bands out there that has a similar sound to Grave Digger? I'm thinking a lot about Boltendahl's vocals in particular. I have heard a couple of bands that has a similar style already (Paragon, Iron Savior, Primal Fear (To some extent at least), Lonewolf) and it's all good. I also love bands like Rage and Running Wild, so I guess what I'm searching for is newer Heavy/Power/Speed Metal that has that German sound to them.

I have by the way been crazy listening to Clash of The Gods lately. What a great album that is. It's especially fitting for me, seeing as I listen a lot to thrash (not as much as I did before though). This album has pretty much everything I could ask for. Harsher vocals, killer riffs, and catchy as hell songs.

I'm definitely being obvious here, but since you didn't mention them, Rebellion. It has Brodenthal's vocals too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRQsdoDE2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBm-G4qJ5TM

Got a request of my own here. I'm basically looking for the most bombastic, over the top, cheesy and maybe ballsy power metal you can think of. Here's the catch though, it actually has to have real guitar riffs, no gimmicky symphonics or gothic female vocal nightwish aping. Think gallowglass, dragonhammer's first album, lost horizon, timless miracle, virgin steele, iron savior, rebellion, etc. It can have symphonic elements or a female vocalist if it can actually pull it off though. I've listened to a lot of power metal, so really just throw everything you can think of at me. Thanks.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 am 

Have you heard of Rebellion? It was formed by some ex-members of Gravedigger. I haven't listened to their new album yet, but Miklagard was an excellent album. Full of hooks and simple but effective riffing, tells an interesting story (vikings trying to make their way to the Miklagard). Arise is worth your time as well, but not as great as Miklagard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb9frGEEoro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5raXwnhUGs

I tend to think the vocalist is a better version of Boltendahl. Plus you have those fantastic guitar solos from Lulis (who is not in the band anymore sadly).

Edit - Beated, ah well, great minds think alike! I've been listening to Solar Fragment's In our Hands and that sounds a bit like early Iron Savior to me in places (especially the second track). Maybe that would do you dude?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:31 pm 

Evangelion, you should listen to Iron Mask's Hordes of the Brave. Iron Mask's Hordes of the Brave is exactly what you're looking for. Iron Mask's Hordes of the Brave is good for you :nods:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:01 pm 

Exciter's Unveiling the Wicked is a tad underrated, I reckon. A bit more typical 1980s metal compared to the speedy first, too. The guitar player reminds me of Jake E Lee or someone like that. It's certainly a bit more mainstream sounding, but very good, too (even 'I Hate School Rules' ain't too bad if you can dig mid-1980s Scorps meets Alice Cooper, it's a bit cheesy, I guess).

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Evangelion, you should listen to Iron Mask's Hordes of the Brave. Iron Mask's Hordes of the Brave is exactly what you're looking for. Iron Mask's Hordes of the Brave is good for you :nods:

You didn't even list the best songs from that album, "Crystal Tears" and "Demon's Child." :[

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 pm 

Demon's Child is awesome, yes, but I don't find Crystal Tears to be up to par with the rest of the album, though it still is pretty cool. Besides, those are my personal favorites off that record.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:12 pm 

You guys checked out Iron Dogs? Been streaming their Cold Bitch LP and Ripping Torment EP on Soundcloud. Kind of a combination of punk like Blitz and sloppy traditional heavy metal... I guess. I kinda suck at describing bands, but they're well worth a listen. Vocals aren't my favorite but the Ripping Torment EP and that title track especially are pretty rad.

http://soundcloud.com/irondogs
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:49 pm 

Wow, yeah, that sounds really good. Very NWOBHM-y, back when bands used to wear their punk influence on their sleeves. Oddly enough the vocals sound very NWOSHM-y, he's got that whole amateurish baritone going on, which is fine by me. Yeah, this is right up my alley.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:29 pm 

Anyone want to talk about Deep Switch? I just got the SKR 2disc re-issue of their lone album this weekend and I have to say it smashed my expectations. All you ever read about it is how fucking weird it is and I was still surprised by how damn weird it is. Still, the best songs (Pigfeeder!, The Poisoned Lake, The Dark Angel) have this almost accidentally sinister feel. I love the vocals and can definitely see where they were a huge influence on Simon from The Lamp of Thoth. Riffing is top notch as far as I can tell, and runs the gamut with all sorts of styles and flavors. A lot to take in and I can't wait to get more time with it.

edit: Speaking of their weirdness, the chorus to Time Machine reminds me so much of Gabriel-era Genesis.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 pm 

The new Kamelot has such catchy hooks that it transcends it's bland guitars. That rarely happens.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 624  Next