Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:31 am 

KKing wrote:
666head wrote:
A band thats quite similar to Adolf Castle is The Lord Weird Slough Feg

Those two bands are nothing alike except that they both have a "raw" power/classic metal sound.

I have to agree with KKing, here. That is one of the worst recomendations I've ever heard. Those two bands aren't even remotely similar.

Also, FSM is right, I am a power metal noob. :( But I know enough to know that this is advice it's better not to follow.
Member #1 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:17 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
666head wrote:
Kvisling wrote:
Know any Power Metal bands similar to Adolf Castle?

A band thats quite similar to Adolf Castle is The Lord Weird Slough Feg, they use the same kind of power metal, the rough kind (I hate using the term "ballsy", it sound really juvenile and just makes the person sound insecure), but they use slightly different folk, Adolf Castle's is more slavic and viking like while The Lord Weird Slough Feg's is more celtikish, still, they both have the same atmosphere (except in Slough Feg's Traveller) so you should like them. Hope I helped, pm me if I wasn't clear.

I'm half-asleep right now.

Yeah, pretty much; them crossed with a heavy dose of Running Wild and a bit of Slauter Xstroyes and Cirith Ungol.

You guys have no idea how hilarious this is. Anyway, Kvisling is a power metal noob. You might as well not bother recommending him anything.

No I don't...care to enlighten me?

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:26 am 

He means I have clearly expressed my intense dislike of Slough Feg in the past. In the chat and elsewhere.
Member #1 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:42 am 

Well, yeah, I don't know how far you'd have to dig to find a better rec. They might not sound alike, but that was the closest thing I could think of on one cursory listen of the album - the riff style and overall jubilant, fun sort of air is pretty similar, even if not much else is. But you don't like Slough Feg, so eh.

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:41 pm 

Hello, I'm copy-pasting what I wrote in a topic I made (before someone pointed me to this topic)...

I like power metal (stratovarius, some sonata arctica and so forth) but sometimes the choruses' über-cheesiness put me off.

so, to give you an idea of what I like (sound/pace/vocals)
you can search for outworld - warcry on youtube... it's "agressive", fast-paced and has great vocals.

--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=e0IkQJqL3kk

do you know any other bands that play this kind of power metal?

I listen to every kind of metal so thrash/black/death/exprimental/vegeterian progressive grindcore/lounge Tongue influences aren't a problem.

thank you!

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:00 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:
Hello, I'm copy-pasting what I wrote in a topic I made (before someone pointed me to this topic)...

I like power metal (stratovarius, some sonata arctica and so forth) but sometimes the choruses' über-cheesiness put me off.

you can search for outworld - warcry on youtube... it's "agressive", fast-paced and has great vocals.

I listen to every kind of metal so thrash/black/death/exprimental/vegeterian progressive grindcore/lounge Tongue influences aren't a problem.

thank you!

I would recommend Symphony X and Iced Earth (I would suggest their period with Tim Owens, if you want vocals that are similar to Outworld, Matt Barlow has a much deeper voice, but nonetheless the Barlow albums are the best :P )

By the way, Empyreal, I think I never thanked you for introducing me to Dark At Dawn :D

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:00 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:

Persuader. Seriously, they're exactly what you're looking for.

I wish I could recommend my band, but we haven't finished writing material and certainly haven't recorded anything you'd want to hear. We've been having some trouble with certain members not making it to practice, etc. The idea, though, is for the band to play Prog-Power with Black/Death influences.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:08 pm 

Spenot wrote:
BlackRainbowFT wrote:

thank you!

I would recommend Symphony X and Iced Earth (I would suggest their period with Tim Owens, if you want vocals that are similar to Outworld, Matt Barlow has a much deeper voice, but nonetheless the Barlow albums are the best :P )

By the way, Empyreal, I think I never thanked you for introducing me to Dark At Dawn :D

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/review.php?revid=1966

This is where I got em from, so even though I can't claim the band was my personal discovery, no prob at all. :)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:08 pm 

Communic with blast beats, thomash? Record something!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:09 pm 

thomash wrote:
BlackRainbowFT wrote:

Persuader. Seriously, they're exactly what you're looking for.

I wish I could recommend my band, but we haven't finished writing material and certainly haven't recorded anything you'd want to hear. We've been having some trouble with certain members not making it to practice, etc. The idea, though, is for the band to play Prog-Power with Black/Death influences.

That does sound interesting. I'll review your stuff when you're done, if you want.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:16 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Communic with blast beats, thomash? Record something!

Kind of. Throw in some Speed Metal influences and medieval history-themed lyrics, and you've got my band. And trust me, I'm going to record something as soon as humanly possible (probably over the summer). Reviews would indeed be appreciated!

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:18 pm 

heya! thx everyone.

I already listen to iced earth and symphony X but they aren't quite like outworld's warcry!

@thomash: I'll look into persuader! and if you have troubles with your band mates, go the nazi way... :D just kidding... find someone more suited for the job! Human resources --> you don't need them? fuck 'em.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:20 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:
heya! thx everyone.

I already listen to iced earth and symphony X but they aren't quite like outworld's warcry!

@thomash: I'll look into persuader! and if you have troubles with your band mates, go the nazi way... :D just kidding... find someone more suited for the job! Human resources --> you don't need them? fuck 'em.

Have you tried Morgana Lefay's last two albums? Crazy shit. I feel like I'm repeating myself now though.

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:27 pm 

^nope! never heard of Morgana Lefay (weird name...)! I'll look into them ;) thank you

and persuader are good! (I'm talking about the few songs on their myspace...)

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:47 pm 

BlackRainbow:

Stygma IV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1B0ZA_GxhA

Mostly quite fast, aggressive riffing and vocals, check them out.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:02 pm 

I'm looking for female-fronted power metal bands that aren't shit (read: not Nightwish). I really like Epica and I was hoping that there were bands out there who sound like them except for the choir and death grunt elements. I'd also take traditional bands, as long as they have a bit of a power metal tinge. Symphonic elements would be okay, as long as they aren't too prominent.

No opera vocals either, please!

- John Calvin.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:10 pm 

0kill wrote:
I'm looking for female-fronted power metal bands that aren't shit (read: not Nightwish). I really like Epica and I was hoping that there were bands out there who sound like them except for the choir and death grunt elements. I'd also take traditional bands, as long as they have a bit of a power metal tinge. Symphonic elements would be okay, as long as they aren't too prominent.

AVAST, YE METALHEADS!

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 pm 

0kill wrote:

Definitely check out Triosphere's "Onwards".

Shadowside's "Theater of Shadows" may be worth investigating too (its a bit more trad metal/hard rock-ish at times though, but has really good vocals).

Imitation_Of_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:17 pm 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:
Could anyone give me a list of some classic 80's US power metal that isn't so obvious that is worth checking out? I'm just wondering what I've missed.

Try Obssession.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 pm 

0kill wrote:

Dark Moor - The Gates of Oblivion

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:45 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:

I'm glad you like it. You should probably start with Evolution Purgatory which is by far their best. Their other two albums are good, but flawed.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 am 

Empyreal wrote:
0kill wrote:

AVAST, YE METALHEADS!

This is all that you need. Well, I guess Dark Moor are pretty good too...
None of them rely on the female singer's 'beautiful' vocals, unlike certain other bands.
Well, on the other hand, I don't know all of the bands recommended. But I will soon. The best thing about these threads is that you can find so many new bands in one thread.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:04 am 

0kill wrote:

Black Knight, War Machine, Chastain, and Taist of Iron are all sort of what you're looking for, though definitely less modern and more traditional than Epica. Some are a little raw (Taist of Iron especially), but all are quite good. SWING YOUR BLOODY AXE, AND CUT THEM DOWN! I need to review that album.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:04 am 

Throw pre-Act of God Znowhite up there too I'd say, though they're also old school stuff and not like Epica at all (well I've never heard Epica but I'm sure that's the case).

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:33 pm 

thomash wrote:
BlackRainbowFT wrote:

I'm glad you like it. You should probably start with Evolution Purgatory which is by far their best. Their other two albums are good, but flawed.

yup. I think it's the best one too! thanks :)

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:52 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:
thomash wrote:
BlackRainbowFT wrote:

yup. I think it's the best one too! thanks :)

No problem. I take it you've listened to all of Persuader's discography, then. I didn't mention it earlier because I wanted to see if you'd like Persuader before recommending a side-project, but Savage Circus is also quite good. They've only got one album, but you should enjoy it if you like Persuader.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:46 pm 

I want some really ballsy Power Metal. You know, a lot of emphasis on POWER having Metal driven music. I just recently discovered Pyramaze, who recently recruited Mathew Barlow, and that is just an epitome of POWER FUCKING METAL.

Can anyone help me please :)

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 pm 

noobsofsocialreality wrote:
I want some really ballsy Power Metal. You know, a lot of emphasis on POWER having Metal driven music. I just recently discovered Pyramaze, who recently recruited Mathew Barlow, and that is just an epitome of POWER FUCKING METAL.

Pyaramze? The epitome of POWER FUCKING METAL? You do need schooling. :lol: Just check out Tarot, Jag Panzer, Liege Lord, Morgana Lefay, Tad Morose, Rage's middle career stuff (early stuff is speed metal and not really that spectacular from what I've heard, and the new stuff is watered down mush) and Wolf (Swe).

edit: I spelled Pyramaze wrong, but I'm not going to fix it.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:51 pm 

Ugh, Pyramaze.

Anyways, just go through the thread since others have requsted this too. You'd probably like Ballistic, Cage, and ... I dunno. Always forget about modern bands.

edit: Yeah, what Empyreal said. :D

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Pyaramze? The epitome of POWER FUCKING METAL? You do need schooling. :lol: Just check out Tarot, Jag Panzer, Liege Lord, Morgana Lefay, Tad Morose, Rage's middle career stuff (early stuff is speed metal and not really that spectacular from what I've heard, and the new stuff is watered down mush) and Wolf (Swe).

edit: I spelled Pyramaze wrong, but I'm not going to fix it.

Hey, Power Metal is not my genre and when I heard this new release by Pyramaze it just made me a really big fan. Schooling is indeed what I need my friend :lol:

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:33 pm 

Well if you like Matt Barlow, obviously get some Iced Earth.

As well as starters for power metal (since you said you're not big on it so far), try these:

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side
Blind Guaridan - Somewhere Far Beyond
Edguy - Theater of Salvation
Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King.
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Firewind - Forged by Fire
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I/II

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:28 am 

Xeogred wrote:

Ugh, Pyramaze.

Anyways, just go through the thread since others have requsted this too. You'd probably like Ballistic, Cage, and ... I dunno. Always forget about modern bands.

Probably because most of them are unmemorable. ;)

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:42 am 

This thread needs more Human Fortress, their first 2 albums are filled with awesome.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:33 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Ugh, Pyramaze.

Probably because most of them are unmemorable. ;)

:roll:

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:18 am 

The_Boss wrote:
Well if you like Matt Barlow, obviously get some Iced Earth.

As well as starters for power metal (since you said you're not big on it so far), try these:

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side
Blind Guaridan - Somewhere Far Beyond
Edguy - Theater of Salvation
Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King.
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Firewind - Forged by Fire
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I/II

Well, I do like Matt Barlow, but Iced Earth never really clicked to me. And the standard Power Metal bands like Blind Guardian is already present on my mind, I just don't know it well enough like I know my Thrash or Death Metal.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:51 am 

Nice argument, I'm definitely never listening to power metal again.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:16 pm 

This thread needs more Human Fortress, their first 2 albums are filled with awesome.

TooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:08 pm 

I'm looking for something in the vein of Falconer...aka mid-range vocals and a bit less over the top in terms of image and feel. Feed me!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:16 pm 

razbijac_dasaka wrote:
My recommendation for listening to power metal is: do not listen to power metal. (seriously)

My recommendation for you is: get the hell out of this thread. (seriously)
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:22 am 

I know it's been sung a million times, but my biggest complaint with power metal today is its lack of power...I just don't hear the kind of passion and strength in most power metal that I do Omen.

But, I've been listening to Dungeon's "The Final Chapter" lately. Solid album.

I WILL ALWAYS BE THE BETTER MAN
I WILL ALWAYS BE, THE BEST MAN THAT I CAAAAAAN
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 624  Next