Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:23 pm 

They're both good but Aqua gets the edge for me. I was never a fan of the Matos stuff and Temple of Shadows was only good when I was a lot younger. They're interesting to me mostly because of the last two albums, but Rebirth kills too.

New song sounds great actually. I wish Fabio would just do this all the time instead of garbage like the last Rhapsody album. He's great on Vision Divine's 9 Degrees West of the Moon, too.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 pm 

I've never cared all that much or anything Angra have done...except Angels Cry. It's just incredibly well-crafted, everything flows perfectly. One of the few Europower albums I actually really like.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:57 pm 

You know, I do wonder..... Just which Europower records do you actually like, FSM? It'd be interesting to know, considering how dismissive you usually are of the style as a whole.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:36 pm 

Well, in order to understand why I like the few Europower albums I do like, I have to explain what it is I hate about Europower - which can be broken down into three big things.

1) General weakness in the riff department. Power metal isn't always the most inventive genre riff-wise, but tons of USPM bands include plenty of riffs in their songs, and plenty of them are extremely inventive in their riff construction. Europower bands on the other hand tend to write very simple, derivative riffs, and don't even have very many of those per song. Keepers-era Helloween is a perfect example of this. This leads to very predictable songwriting which I just don't find engaging or interesting. Not to say every band has to reinvent the "riff wheel", but every band ought to at least put their own little distinctive touch on riffs.

2) General wimpiness/lameness/lack of "oomph". This extends to all aspects of songwriting but most often is evident in the vocals. Now, USPM singers weren't all rugged barbarians like JD Kimball and Harry Conklin, but the Geoff Tate and Midnight types had "oomph" of another variety, as they were able to really express deep dark gripping emotions, wrestling with madness, inner demons, angst, whatever. On the other hand, Europower tends to feature these light, fluffy vocal melodies that just fail to be tough and aggressive on the one hand, and emotionally expressive on the other. Just listen to Michael Kiske sing on the Keepers albums to know what I mean by that.

3) The dreaded "Santa Chorus" syndrome. Basically a song which is otherwise tough, epic, fast, relatively aggressive, etc. etc. will suddenly shift into this awful child's sing-along mode that sounds like a Christmas Carol, while the riffs drop out entirely and the guitars just play basic drawn-out chord progressions. This is probably the worst, for me. One of the coolest parts about traditional and power metal is the counterpoint between the vocal melodies and the riff/bass melodies, so to entirely rip that away in favor of a chorus melody that's shitty to begin with is just a cardinal sin in my book, especially given that choruses by their very nature are repeated multiple times per song. I'd say, on average, choruses make up probably something like 25% of an album - if 25% of an album is shitty and worthless without even going into the other aspects, is it any wonder I don't like most Europower?

Any one of those aspects isn't necessarily fatal, but the presence of all three is basically guaranteed to make me hate a band. The corollary is that most bands that don't exhibit all three of those flaws I will like, assuming they're good otherwise. Blind Guardian for example definitely do not lack oomph, they don't have Santa Choruses, and they generally have good riffs - thus, I like Blind Guardian. Same with Lost Horizon. Also, I like a few scattered albums here and there that definitely fall squarely into the typical Europower category, but either don't exhibit all three typical flaws of the style or are just really, really good to the point where I can ignore those flaws - examples would be Angels Cry, Return to Heaven Denied, Forever Endeavour, and a few others.

There's also a sort of offshoot Europower/traditional metal style that doesn't have anything to do with what Helloween started, exemplified by Wizard, Paragon, Wolf, etc. Their genealogy is different and I don't count them as typical Europower, by which I mean Helloween-derived bands.

I hope that explains things.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:00 pm 

Christmas Carols have far better vocal melodies than flower metal.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:59 pm 

Wow, so I found some rare Talisphere material on soulseek listed as "outtakes," it's 7 unnamed tracks tacked onto the end of the demo but to be honest it's really the same quality of songwriting and performance, just a worse production. Still not unlistenable or anything; probably similar to that of Oblivion's 'Quest for Power,' possibly even a bit better. Fucking awesome find, if anybody wants to hear it send me a PM.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:28 pm 

@Failsafeman; aaah, I understand. Interesting to see such an elaborate breakdown from the POV of someone who mostly dislikes the style.

I might have to check out that Forever Endeavour album. Never heard of it before.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:28 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Well, in order to understand why I like the few Europower albums I do like, I have to explain what it is I hate about Europower - which can be broken down into three big things[...]

I would definitely agree with Angels Cry and Return to Heaven Denied being fantastic albums, but I'm not so keen on Forever Endeavour. I liked it at first but it didn't really seem to have any staying power to me. I certainly consider the other two very good albums though.

I'm not sure what it is about Forever Endeavour specifically, I think it just feels a little bit flat. All of the songs are solid but they're just lacking something for me. If I think about it I can remember most of the songs in my head but I have very little desire to ever actually listen to it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:44 pm 

Yeah, in a way I had a similar reaction to Forever Endeavour - when I first heard it I totally fell in love with it, but over time my appreciation cooled and now I just like it. I think it's due to its really slick production and awesome performances that buoy up songwriting that's not quite as good - at first you're captivated by the presentation and only later does the somewhat lacking songwriting catch up with that. Anyway I still like the album, but definitely not as much as Angels Cry or Return to Heaven Denied.

Another category of Europower I dig is prog/power from before the shitty uber-slick 00s style a la Pagan's Mind took over. Conception everyone knows from the Roy Khan connection, but there are tons of more obscure, experimental bands like Mind Odyssey and Eldritch:

Despite the sometimes fluffy melodies, the prog tendencies usually take precedence over the Europower tendency toward diet songwriting.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 pm 

Ha, I've been looking for stuff in the vein of Conception for a while. I'll check that shit out too. Thanks!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 pm 

There's a lot of bad Euro-power out there, but the good stuff is really good - exuding a lot of class and mystique.

I really think the debut is the better Highland Glory album. It's ridiculous and cheesy, like a B-movie, but there's just this real youthful energy to it that endears me to it. Plus "One Last Chance" is catchier than AIDS.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:40 pm 

Eldritch "Headquake" is one of my favorite prog metal albums, period. I've played the hell out of that one over the last decade or so. El Nino took forever to grow on me, but I like that one a lot too. Shame about "Reverse" though...

Xlxlx - give Athena's "A New Religion?" a go. I can't recommend their other two albums though (I found the debut to be boring/half-baked and their 3rd album they changed styles to regular pm). Superior (the German one) may be worth giving a shot too. I'm assuming you already know Ark's "Burn the Sun", but if not, I highly recommend that one as well (Conception's guitarist is in that band).

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:49 pm 

Gonna write that shiz down, Perdition. Not a fan of Ark though.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:37 pm 

Alrighty, so in the last month I've started to become obsessed with these three Japanese bands: Versailles, Kamijo, and Jupiter (They're all pretty much the same band). These three are the only bands I've ever liked that play some form of speed or power metal, and I've been trying to find more bands that use their combination of (sometimes "neoclassical") power metal and visual kei. Any bands I see in youtube's infinite body of related videos has way too much metalcore/deathcore/etc. involved.

Here's Versailles:

I know they're not unique, I personally just can't find anyone else like them. Got any recommendations?

And 1000 bonus points if you recommend me a band that actually does care about their look a bit (i.e. not looking like "some dudes")

Yes they're flowery... get over it! :P

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:03 am 

Hrm... I do listen to a lot of Japanese power metal bands, but not much visual kei (unless its female fronted or all-female). Anyway, most Japanese power metal has a neoclassical flair, and is usually more visual than its European counterparts. Anyway, here's a few random bands:

Galneryus (biggest power metal band over there, you may already know them):
Silent Revelation (song with 1st vocalist)
Angel of Salvation (live) (song with 2nd vocalist)

Others:
MinstreliX
Gauntlet
Unlucky Morpheus
Skywings
Iron Attack!

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:42 am 

Galneryus: For different reasons, I don't like a lot of power metal singers (especially those that sound like Dio), and I'm not a huge fan of either vocalists' voice... :/ There isn't anything bad about the instruments, though!

Gauntlet is okay, but doesn't do it for me. Skywings, the vocals are maybe too consistently high for me. Unlucky Morpheus is a definite maybe, and I will save it for later... Iron Attack! is in the same boat.
And then, MinstreliX is almost exactly what I want! I think the vocals are a little high at times, but it's still pretty damn good all-around.

Got any more (anybody)?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:07 am 

With Iron Attack, be aware they usually have a different vocalist on each album (and a huge chunk of their... errr his stuff is instrumental). Coincidentally enough, the guy on the song I linked was Galneryus' ex-vocalist. :P The girl who sings on Unlucky Morpheus also sings for Light Bringer. Here's some PVs:
Clockwork Journey
Hyperion
I dunno if I'd consider either of those neoclassical, but Burned 07 is close enough (sound quality ain't good though).

One that's proving a major hindrance for me is specific songs I want to link aren't on youtube. Like with Cross Vein, I specifically want to link "Red Star" (one of their more neoclassical songs). I'm not sure if Forget Me Not is close to what you want. Vox are female, but are pretty shrill. Its more symphonic than neoclassical. They do have a pretty strong visual component though.

Knights of Round is another - the vox are a major stumbling block for most people though. I wanted to link "Honor and Victory", but that doesn't seem to be on there. I guess Song of the Brave will have to do.

時空海賊Seven Seas is another visual kei (I think) pm band that may be worth checking out. Some of their stuff has a neoclassical flair to it. Video: Chasing Light

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:44 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Mind Odyssey and Eldritch

Whoaaaaaaaa, I'm really digging these. Anything else like them?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:21 am 

To revive the thrash request raised by Jophelerx, I think some people here would dig Ruthless Horde. One of my favorite demo discoveries in a while, their first demo is a mixture of that kind of unhinged Holy Terror/Ulysses Siren/etc intensity with some full-on USPM mixed in. Two vocalists for nice diversity too; mad barking, shrill falsetto, gruff manliness, early-style harsh vocals, it covers all grounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHi5Zu4l9nU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6zW7r7C-w

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:38 am 

Quote:
Coincidentally enough, the guy on the song I linked was Galneryus' ex-vocalist. :P

O.o

Light Bringer reminds me a bit of Rush (Clockwork Journey, 1:45), and I like it a lot.
Cross Vein is pretty good too, thanks!

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Well, in order to understand why I like the few Europower albums I do like, I have to explain what it is I hate about Europower - which can be broken down into three big things.

1) General weakness in the riff department. Power metal isn't always the most inventive genre riff-wise, but tons of USPM bands include plenty of riffs in their songs, and plenty of them are extremely inventive in their riff construction. Europower bands on the other hand tend to write very simple, derivative riffs, and don't even have very many of those per song. Keepers-era Helloween is a perfect example of this. This leads to very predictable songwriting which I just don't find engaging or interesting. Not to say every band has to reinvent the "riff wheel", but every band ought to at least put their own little distinctive touch on riffs.

2) General wimpiness/lameness/lack of "oomph". This extends to all aspects of songwriting but most often is evident in the vocals. Now, USPM singers weren't all rugged barbarians like JD Kimball and Harry Conklin, but the Geoff Tate and Midnight types had "oomph" of another variety, as they were able to really express deep dark gripping emotions, wrestling with madness, inner demons, angst, whatever. On the other hand, Europower tends to feature these light, fluffy vocal melodies that just fail to be tough and aggressive on the one hand, and emotionally expressive on the other. Just listen to Michael Kiske sing on the Keepers albums to know what I mean by that.

3) The dreaded "Santa Chorus" syndrome. Basically a song which is otherwise tough, epic, fast, relatively aggressive, etc. etc. will suddenly shift into this awful child's sing-along mode that sounds like a Christmas Carol, while the riffs drop out entirely and the guitars just play basic drawn-out chord progressions. This is probably the worst, for me. One of the coolest parts about traditional and power metal is the counterpoint between the vocal melodies and the riff/bass melodies, so to entirely rip that away in favor of a chorus melody that's shitty to begin with is just a cardinal sin in my book, especially given that choruses by their very nature are repeated multiple times per song. I'd say, on average, choruses make up probably something like 25% of an album - if 25% of an album is shitty and worthless without even going into the other aspects, is it any wonder I don't like most Europower?

Any one of those aspects isn't necessarily fatal, but the presence of all three is basically guaranteed to make me hate a band. The corollary is that most bands that don't exhibit all three of those flaws I will like, assuming they're good otherwise. Blind Guardian for example definitely do not lack oomph, they don't have Santa Choruses, and they generally have good riffs - thus, I like Blind Guardian. Same with Lost Horizon. Also, I like a few scattered albums here and there that definitely fall squarely into the typical Europower category, but either don't exhibit all three typical flaws of the style or are just really, really good to the point where I can ignore those flaws - examples would be Angels Cry, Return to Heaven Denied, Forever Endeavour, and a few others.

There's also a sort of offshoot Europower/traditional metal style that doesn't have anything to do with what Helloween started, exemplified by Wizard, Paragon, Wolf, etc. Their genealogy is different and I don't count them as typical Europower, by which I mean Helloween-derived bands.

I hope that explains things.

Dude I know what are you talking about however, luckily for me, I still haven't got as aggressive repulsion as you have :D
You should definitely check out these albums if you haven't yet:
Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife

Rawhead Rexx - Rawhead Rexx

Crystal Eyes - Chained

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
To revive the thrash request raised by Jophelerx, I think some people here would dig Ruthless Horde. One of my favorite demo discoveries in a while, their first demo is a mixture of that kind of unhinged Holy Terror/Ulysses Siren/etc intensity with some full-on USPM mixed in. Two vocalists for nice diversity too; mad barking, shrill falsetto, gruff manliness, early-style harsh vocals, it covers all grounds.

Now *this* is what I'm talking about! Speed/thrash that's right up my alley! Thanks man.

macmoney wrote:

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:27 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
[...] Another category of Europower I dig is prog/power from before the shitty uber-slick 00s style a la Pagan's Mind took over. Conception everyone knows from the Roy Khan connection, but there are tons of more obscure, experimental bands like Mind Odyssey and Eldritch:

[...]

Despite the sometimes fluffy melodies, the prog tendencies usually take precedence over the Europower tendency toward diet songwriting.

This Mind Odyssey album is very good. Can you recommend their other albums or other bands similar?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:55 pm 

That Rawhead Rexx track was unexpectedly awesome. I'll have to look out for the CD.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:58 pm 

P.S. Anybody know of any good Exciter clone/worship bands? I've been hankering for some early-80's-style (pre-thrash) speed metal stuff.

Znowhite pre-'Act of God' might be another good reference point.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:02 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Anybody know of any good Exciter clone/worship bands?

Not a clone or worship band, but none the less - second and third albums by Oz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toy1A5uO1sA

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:06 pm 

Fire in the Brain is such a god damn classic. It had to grow on me a bit as it wasn't as "SPEED METAL BLRARUG!" as I originally expected/hoped. It's actually kind of classy in places. At least, more classy than you would expect with all music being written by Jay C. Blade and sung by Ape de Martini.

Last edited by Jonpo on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalCheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:19 pm 

I'm looking for something similar to Dark Quarterer's self titled. Semi-raw production is strongly preferred. A vocalist similar to the fantastic Gianni Nepi would be a welcomed bonus. I've listened to most of the bands from the similar artists tab, but there are always hidden gems to be discovered.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm 

MetalCheese wrote:
I'm looking for something similar to Dark Quarterer's self titled. Semi-raw production is strongly preferred. A vocalist similar to the fantastic Gianni Nepi would be a welcomed bonus. I've listened to most of the bands from the similar artists tab, but there are always hidden gems to be discovered.

Obvious answer is Adramelch, but you probably know them. Also good is Anathema (Adramelch side project) and their sole demo, 'Salem Lunacy.' Crush's 'Kingdom of the Kings' is also worth checking if you haven't heard it, although I'm not a huge fan personally. Sort of out there (and not really stellar), but fairly close to your request is Taramis' 'Queen of Thieves.' Similar production and vocalist, anyway.

macmoney wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm 

It's really hard to recommend bands similar to Dark Quarterer, just because there really aren't any bands that similar. Every aspect of them is very distinctive - vocals, guitars, bass, drums, and of course the songwriting. The bands Jophelerx mentioned are worth checking out, and also you might look at Existence; they're not too similar in single aspects, but the overall feel the music generates I find is similar.

Also, you might try Thunder Rider - the singer is similar, and while it's more rooted in power and traditional metal than doom or progressive, it's still awesome either way.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 pm 

Never heard Oz before, but I'm digging these songs. Vocals kinda remind me of old-school Bobby Blitz.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:54 pm 

Are there any (Euro)power metal bands who've covered Metallica's Escape? Sounds like it would translate pretty darn well.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:39 pm 

I love Oz. Songs like Turn the Cross Upside Down are just a ton of fun.

corpsecry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 pm 

Funeral Frog wrote:
Alrighty, so in the last month I've started to become obsessed with these three Japanese bands: Versailles, Kamijo, and Jupiter (They're all pretty much the same band). These three are the only bands I've ever liked that play some form of speed or power metal, and I've been trying to find more bands that use their combination of (sometimes "neoclassical") power metal and visual kei. Any bands I see in youtube's infinite body of related videos has way too much metalcore/deathcore/etc. involved.

Here's Versailles:

I know they're not unique, I personally just can't find anyone else like them. Got any recommendations?

And 1000 bonus points if you recommend me a band that actually does care about their look a bit (i.e. not looking like "some dudes")

Yes they're flowery... get over it! :P

You're into Japanese metal as well? I'm a big lover of Japanese metal/visual kei.

If you're looking for more Japanese neoclassical/power metal stuff, you should definitely look up Hizaki Grace Project, which was Hizaki's project before Versailles/Jupiter.

Concerto Moon might also be up your alley.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:39 pm 

Any of you guys check out Encyrcle from Denmark? Soon to release their debut and the samples sound pretty damn killer to my ears, sounds like it has been ripped from the 80's, some nice speed sections.

https://m.soundcloud.com/encyrcle/blood ... lbum-promo

Edit - in fact the tracks are awesome, I will pick this up for sure!

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:22 pm 

I know Koreans are not Japanese but Time Concerto is a great band and they will be releasing a debut album in early 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTSAGV4xH9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2WhPJyIpQ

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:35 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
HamburgerBoy wrote:

Now *this* is what I'm talking about! Speed/thrash that's right up my alley! Thanks man.

Seconded! This is the kinda stuff I suffer all the wimpy europower talk in here for!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:51 pm 

corpsecry wrote:
You're into Japanese metal as well? I'm a big lover of Japanese metal/visual kei.

If you're looking for more Japanese neoclassical/power metal stuff, you should definitely look up Hizaki Grace Project, which was Hizaki's project before Versailles/Jupiter.

Since it's so close to Versailles, I already knew about Hizaki Grace Project :P I just didn't mention them for some reason, haha.

corpsecry wrote:
Concerto Moon might also be up your alley.

Pretty good.

mudrnudl wrote:
I know Koreans are not Japanese but Time Concerto is a great band and they will be releasing a debut album in early 2015.

Not quite it...
Thanks guys!

If anyone wants to help me further, I think I can re-define my search criteria. I suppose I'm looking for:
-Neoclassical/power metal (I could be thinking speed metal...)/Visual Kei
-Lots of influences from other genres is good, but be careful on the metalcore side of things (breakdowns are okay, it's the vocals I usually don't like.)
-Low to Mid pitched-voice, not very high.
-Far East (Korea, Japan, China; not Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc.)

I'll give another example. The instruments can be as heavy as this, more heavy, or less, doesn't matter.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

@ Funeral Frog:

This may almost be deserving of its own thread, dunno. Are you sure you're thinking of symphonic instead of neoclassical? (sometimes some bands use both, adding to the confusion). Mind you, my interpretation of "neoclassical" means Malmsteen-esque wankfests, so don't mind me. :P I tend to find recommendation threads tend to boil down to throwing mud at a wall and hoping that some of it sticks. So, here's a few more and hopefully you find a couple things of interest:

Spoiler: show
Aldious:
Dominator (live) (2nd vocalist)
Spirit Black (1st vocalist)

Destrose:
The Prologue (current vocalist)
Maze (previous vocalist)

Onmyo-Za:
(there used to be TONS of stuff on youtube, but most of it got yanked... so only PVs remain, and they're not the ideal songs I'd use for exposing someone to the band):
黒衣の天女
蒼き独眼
紅葉

Magistina Saga (more symphonic/gothic metal than anything, but may be what you're looking for)
Ancient Myth
Rose&Rosary (they got a lot more aggressive with their new stuff - vox may be too cartoony though)

Yousei Teikoku:
(they had a major direction shift recently and are a lot heavier than they used to be - vox may be too cartoony though)
救世Άργυρóϛ
使徒覚醒 (short ver)
Astral Dogma

Ghost Harlem:
(not power metal, but definitely falls into the J-rock/visual kei camp - may be worth a shot. Some of their stuff is pretty fast too)
Fast Dive

Albion:
全てを知らせる鐘と迷宮に惑わされし者 (terrible drum sound, unfortunately)
光と闇を纏うDUEL (I prefer their debut EP more - better production)

el -ethnic legist-:
(Egyptian-themed visual kei lol)
Ishtar (current vocalist, band name truncated to "Ethnic Legist")
レジスト (1st vocalist - bad sound quality, but I wanted a fast song)
カミノウタ (PV) (1st vocalist - too mellow, but a good song though)

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:12 pm 

Before listening: I'll admit, I didn't know anything about power, speed, neoclassical, symphonic, visual kei, etc. until about two months ago, so I could be very wrong in what terms I use.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462 ... 625  Next