Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am 

Here's the album art and title for the next Grave Digger album:

I'm excited, you can always count on Grave Digger to release a very enjoyable album.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:22 am 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Here's the album art and title for the next Grave Digger album:

I'm excited, you can always count on Grave Digger to release a very enjoyable album.

Cool cover art! :-D

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 am 

I've been on a bit of a purchasing binge lately, picked up a lot of little stuff I'd be curious to get some of your opinions on.

Any of you guys still have DarkBlack on your radar? I haven't listened to The Sellsword yet, but I just grabbed their newer EP Midnight Wraith since it was only 6 bucks through CM Distro. They don't have any one glaring quality that sets them apart in a flooded scene, but they write really fluid and interesting songs. A lot of codas with flying wild solos that kind of remind me of Brocas Helm with none of the weirdness. I always read comparisons to Slough Feg but I don't hear much of it, maybe they left all that behind on the debut. I thought they were underwhelming at first but the EP is really addicting and sticks to the ribs. I don't think there's much of it on youtube but if you can find the song Golden Idol it's a gem.

Speaking of Slough Feg, I gotta say I'm beyond pleased with Digital Resistance. It starts out weird as shit with the first three songs, and I was genuinely hoping they would see that through for an entire album, just go completely off-kilter with it. From Magic Hooligan on the songs start to sound more like recent Slough Feg though, which isn't a bad thing, just a bit disjointed. Ghastly Appendage was a huge stand out for me. It has that campy-turned-spooky sound that I dig. For some reason I feel like a doomed out cover from The Lamp of Thoth would be incredible. I DID find The Price is Nice to be a little underwhelming. Vincent deserves better! Plus I've still got Twilight of the Idols and Traveller waiting in the wing, unheard.

I also snagged Helvetets Port's Exodus to Hell. There's a beauty in simplicity isn't there? These guys keep it primitive which I obviously love. And the vocalist comes from a long line of bad Swedish singers. They just make it work. There's a strong up-tick in quality smack in the middle of the album with Diamond Claw and Fly By Night delivering a crazy set of body blows.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:10 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I don't think there's much of it on youtube but if you can find the song Golden Idol it's a gem.

The whole thing's up on their Bandcamp actually! And thanks for mentioning Helvetets Port, I like what I'm hearing! I swear I've heard Lighting Rod Avenger before but they're unfamiliar to me otherwise.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:45 pm 

Oh sweet! Thanks for sharing that link. I'd strongly recommend checking them out, keeping in mind it took a few listens before it struck me just how well put together that Midnight Wraith EP is. I've got The Sellsword at home now, just haven't torn into it yet. I've got a long weekend starting tonight and I plan on cramming in a ton of listening.

Helvetets Port are just rock solid. I love the way the vocals follow the riffs a lot ala very early Sabbath. They get deceptively epic on some of those middle tracks I mentioned though. Diamond Claw is stellar.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:26 pm 

oooh only on the first track of that DarkBlack ep and can already tell I will enjoy this immensely. Nice straight forward rocking heavy metal with some cool guitar harmonies and solid vocals. Thanks for the heads up!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:29 pm 

Virgin Steele news here, taken from their offical Facebook down below. I'm a bit disappointed that the extra bonus disc with actual new songs isn't left in on the Invicus album and I doubt these acoustic versions of VS tunes would actually be worth hearing...but whatever.

Spoiler: show
- "The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell I+II" - "Invictus" - Re-Releases coming in June 2014 -

SPV / Steamhammer is proud to re-release Virgin Steele´s "The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell I+II" and "Invictus" . These 2 CD digipak re-release both co...me with special bonus material and a huge booklet with new liner notes and unseen photos by David DeFeis.

Release Date Scandinavia: June 11th, 2014
Release Date Germany: June 13th, 2014
Release Date Europe: June 16th, 2012 4
Release Date USA/Canada: June 24th, 2014

David DeFeis comments on the re-releases:
"It is an honor, and it is my great pleasure to be able to re-release with SPV, The two "Marriage Of Heaven and Hell" albums, and the "Invictus" album this year. These albums loom large in our Catalogue, and so much of our blood, sweat & history can be found within the fabric of these Works. In addition to the original running order titles we will also present various bonus tracks...The Marriage Of Heaven and Hell discs contain two live tracks recorded in Germany during "The Marriage" Tour, plus some new songs. Originally on the bonus disc for Invictus we had planned to issue this new 19 song "GHOST HARVEST" collection that I had spoken about in the latest interviews. That plan has changed. GHOST HARVEST, (which has now grown into more than 1 CD at this time!!!)....will instead be included in the upcoming box-set...(Please See further down)...and the bonus disc inside Invictus, which bears the title: "FIRE SPIRITS", will contain over the top acoustic versions of various songs mainly taken from The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell and Invictus albums... (but a few others appear as well)....It will also contain a brand new track recorded this week. The performances on FIRE SPIRITS were captured live and are raw, heartfelt and genuine. We wanted to show those who missed out on the acoustic gigs we had done, some of what went on there, and to also express how powerful these stripped down versions can be. With the appearance of these re-issues and the inclusion of all the various bonus tracks contained within these collections, we give thanks and salute all of You who have taken this Barbaric-Romantic ride with us....we hope you will enjoy these Works that celebrate the interaction and chemistry of the Group, and which are testament to the enduring strength of our Friendship..."

TRACKLISTING "The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell Pt.I+II":

CD1
1. I Will Come For You
2. Weeping Of The Spirits
3. Blood And Gasoline
4. Self Crucifixion
5. Last Supper
6. Warriors Lament
7. Trail Of Tears
8. The Raven Song
9. Forever Will I Roam
10. I Wake Up Screaming
11. House Of Dust
12. Blood Of The Saints
13. Life Among The Ruins
14. The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell
15. Angela`s Castle (bonus track)
16. The Sword Of Damocles (bonus track)

CD2
1. A Symphony Of Steele
2. Crown Of Glory (Unscarred)
3. From Chaos To Creation
4. Twilight Of The Gods
5. Rising Unchained
6. Transfiguration
7. Prometheus The Fallen One
8. Emalaith
9. Strawgirl
10. Devil/Angel
11. Unholy Water
12. Victory Is Mine
13. The Marriage Of heaven And Hell (Revisited)
14. A Greater Burning Of Innocence (bonus track)
15. Life Among The Ruins - Live (bonus track)
16. I Wake Up Screaming - Live (bonus track)

TRACKLISTING "Invictus":

CD1
1. The Blood Of vengeance
2. Invictus
3. Mind, Body, Spirit
4. In The Arms Of The Death God
5. Through Blood And Fire
6. Sword Of The Gods
7. God Of Our Sorrows
8. Vow Of Honour
9. Defiance
10. Dust From The Burining
11. Amaranth
12. A Whisper Of Death
13. Dominion Day
14. A Shadow Of Fear
15. "Theme" From The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell
16. Veni, Vidi, Vici

CD2 - Bonus
"Dark Distant Future" Medley #1
1. A Whipser Of Death (Intro)
2. Unholy Water
3. Trail Of Tears
"With Vengeance Divine" Medley #2
4. Rising Unchained
5. Veni, Vidi, Vici
6. Defiance
7. I Will Come For You
8. Victory Is Mine
"Hail The Conguering Hero" Medley #3
9. Serpent`s Kiss (Intro)
10. A Whisper Of Death (Main section of song)
11. Great Sword Of Flame
12. A Whipser Of Death (Reprise)
13. Emalaith
14. The Burning Of Rome
15. Perfect Mansions (Mountains Of The Sun)
New Song
16. Do You Walk With God

Furthermore VIRGIN STEELE is celebrating their 35th anniversary this year. In autumn the band will release a "35th Anniversary Box Set" incl. the CDs "The Book Of Burning" and "Hymns To Victory" as well as the new recordings named the "Ghost Harvest - The Spectral Vintage Sessions". On top the box will include an extensive book and a poster.
A treat and thank you for all Virgin Steele fans!

And expect a totally new studioalbum and live activities for the beginning of 2015.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:43 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
oooh only on the first track of that DarkBlack ep and can already tell I will enjoy this immensely. Nice straight forward rocking heavy metal with some cool guitar harmonies and solid vocals. Thanks for the heads up!

Hey no problem man, I'm glad you're digging it! I think the whole thing gets better as it goes along, although Golden Idol is the peak for me. I think you nailed it with "cool guitar harmonies". They seem to put little melodic licks and hooks into all their riffs, which take them from basic to "pretty fucking neat". The solos are also really great, and that's something I hardly notice anymore. They're very tastefully phrased with a lot of oldish 70s sounding licks.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

Hey no problem man, I'm glad you're digging it! I think the whole thing gets better as it goes along, although Golden Idol is the peak for me. I think you nailed it with "cool guitar harmonies". They seem to put little melodic licks and hooks into all their riffs, which take them from basic to "pretty fucking neat". The solos are also really great, and that's something I hardly notice anymore. They're very tastefully phrased with a lot of oldish 70s sounding licks.

The whole thing is really tastefully done, very in-the-pocket and calculated which is not something a lot of bands do well anymore. Even a nice little bass solo in Power Monger. You can definitely tell these dudes love 'Priest and Thin Lizzy as the influence is virtually overflowing, yet they manage to not really sound like either one. Looks like I'll need to track down some physical copies, assuming they exist.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Return of the Reaper

Why is the reaper returning? One of the great things about Grave Digger is (was) that they always renewed themselves.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Any of you guys still have DarkBlack on your radar? I haven't listened to The Sellsword yet, but I just grabbed their newer EP Midnight Wraith since it was only 6 bucks through CM Distro. They don't have any one glaring quality that sets them apart in a flooded scene, but they write really fluid and interesting songs. A lot of codas with flying wild solos that kind of remind me of Brocas Helm with none of the weirdness. I always read comparisons to Slough Feg but I don't hear much of it, maybe they left all that behind on the debut. I thought they were underwhelming at first but the EP is really addicting and sticks to the ribs. I don't think there's much of it on youtube but if you can find the song Golden Idol it's a gem.

The Sellsword has good songwriting but it has a really weird mix, with the vocals being way too quiet for some reason. It's really irritating because otherwise the album is just as good as the EP, quality material all around. Still worth getting if you like the EP, but just be warned.

Jonpo wrote:
I also snagged Helvetets Port's Exodus to Hell. There's a beauty in simplicity isn't there? These guys keep it primitive which I obviously love. And the vocalist comes from a long line of bad Swedish singers. They just make it work. There's a strong up-tick in quality smack in the middle of the album with Diamond Claw and Fly By Night delivering a crazy set of body blows.

I don't know where you get that Helvetet's Port is simple or primitive. Sure, the song structures aren't progressive and they don't play super technically demanding music, but they use tons of really weird harmonies and key changes, and I can't think of a single band from the 80s or otherwise that they sound much like.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 pm 

Oh yeah I've got The Sellsword already, just haven't gotten around to it yet. This EP got ahold of me though. It was an afterthought tacked onto a mostly completed order but I just keep wanting to replay it.

I don't know I guess maybe I haven't spent enough time with Helvetets Port yet. The music just sounded like really primitive heavy metal with a few fun twists here and there. I think that's why Diamond Claw surprised me so much. The name sounds like some third-rate nwobhm tune and then they just bring everything out and floor you.

Edit: Holy shit, Traveller.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:30 am 

I've known that Queensryche started out playing USPM, but in spite of that I've thought of them as "that Operation Mindcrime band."

Big mistake, this self-titled EP is pretty awesome.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 am 

Hello,
Today i decide to listen iced earth and as always i looking first in internet the "anthems" of the band and always found a couple of songs that define the band because almost people agreed that songs are the anthems of the band, but with iced earth is different there's no a couple of songs that can't be the band anthems there are dozens. All musics are great or all music sounds equal?
Which song(s) of iced earth can i listen and make me falling in love for Iced Earth?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:55 pm 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hello,
Today i decide to listen iced earth and as always i looking first in internet the "anthems" of the band and always found a couple of songs that define the band because almost people agreed that songs are the anthems of the band, but with iced earth is different there's no a couple of songs that can't be the band anthems there are dozens. All musics are great or all music sounds equal?
Which song(s) of iced earth can i listen and make me falling in love for Iced Earth?

I would start with the entire "Night of the Stormrider" album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:00 pm 

If you really wanna check out IE, go for Burnt Offerings. But there are tons of better bands out there.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 pm 

Empy is right!

Meanwhile;
First teaser from the upcoming HELSTAR album 'This Wicked Nest'

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:42 pm 

God damn, I can't believe I've taken a break from power metal for so long. Been going through my collection and listening to some of the first metal albums I ever picked up; Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Freedom Call, Angra, Blind Guardian, Wuthering Heights. Forgot how much I love this stuff. Now I'm trying to find out what I've missed from the past couple years. From the forum I can tell Persuader is one I'm definitely missing out on so that'll be the first 'new' band I dive into. Any other recommendations? Mostly into anthemic Euro power with keys.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:55 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Any other recommendations?

You know Galneryus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_GDIeAnVDs

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 pm 

"Angel of Salvation" was one of the better melodic power metal albums I've heard in a long time, to be honest.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:01 pm 

Power Quest's Neverworld is basically the best keyboardy Europower album I've ever heard. Definitely get your hands on that.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:26 pm 

Timeless Miracle is an obvious rec.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 am 

The best Iced Earth is the first album, and everything else you can pretty much ignore, other than Stormrider I guess.

Haven't heard Burnt Offerings though.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 am 

For anthemic (but keyboardless), check the latest Twisted Tower Dire. It seems to be overlooked by most. It's different from their earlier albums, but great none the less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUm_1gIcB2I

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:02 am 

Nahsil wrote:
The best Iced Earth is the first album, and everything else you can pretty much ignore, other than Stormrider I guess.

Isn't this the very definition of ignorance?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Rhapsody ... anthemic Euro power with keys.

I'm eagerly awaiting Twilight Force's debut album. Italian power metal done right, from Sweden no less. Fucking amazing singer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xI-8kMYw14

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 pm 

what you guys got for me? my pandora has been playing the same few artists over and over. my style is:
dream evil
hammerfall
kamelot
elvenking
holy knights
nightwish
within temptation
bloodbound

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:09 pm 

Opus wrote:
For anthemic (but keyboardless), check the latest Twisted Tower Dire. It seems to be overlooked by most. It's different from their earlier albums, but great none the less.

I actually really enjoy that album. And I was into The Isle of Hydra and Crest of the Martyrs well before it came out. It did take a few listens to really grow on me, since it's a bit different, but I dig almost the entire album now. I've definitely seen plenty of folks not into it at all, though...

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:21 am 

Opus wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Isn't this the very definition of ignorance?

Don't know if you meant to quote a BastardHead post or something, but the one you did is actually the definition of "well informed."

Weird band considering what they're mainly know for, but I've been digging the Plasmatics lately. Pioneering punk band for sure, but their mid W.O.W. period has some quality heavy metal. Coup d'Etat is some hard rocking awesomeness and the Damned is a legit classic. Who doesn't love an exploding bus? The s/t album kinda blows, but Kommander is a pretty decent follow up. Punky heavy metal and the last track has a hilarious chorus.

In other news, Tony Moore as resurfaced! He's started a band called Big Muff π. Yep

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:59 am 

I've heard enough Iced Earth to know they're a pretty shitty band, aside from the debut. I don't even like Stormrider, pretty generic and boring.

Maybe Burnt Offerings is different from the other albums I've heard, but I doubt it. They seem to have committed pretty strongly to the suck train after the debut.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:05 am 

It's probably not going to change your mind, it's still not that great. Though, in the albums defense, it has Dante's Inferno in it, which admittedly is one of the best thrash songs I know of.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 am 

Dante's Inferno is the worst song on the album. For the most part Burnt Offerings avoids the infamous Iced Earth triplet riff, but that song takes it and drags it out to 17 minutes (ok not completely on that one riff, but it's still very uninteresting on a whole). The first three albums are all pretty strong on a whole.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:25 am 

Burnt Offerings is good because of the dark, morbid atmosphere and Barlow's strong vocals. I always thought Stormrider was really boring. Better than some of the later shit, but still fucking boring.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:43 am 

The title track on Burnt Offerings is actually pretty good. Kinda surprising, ya know.

Do any of you lot like the first Blessed Death album? I was just reading some reviews and I was surprised at how unpopular it seems to be on this site. It's kinda cool, I think. Raging US metal ala Omen or Griffin meets thrash.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Burnt Offerings is good because of the dark, morbid atmosphere and Barlow's strong vocals.

I do like everything up to Horror Show and then Dystopia, but this is exactly what I wish they'd kept doing. Future albums really needed more moments like the title track's "CAST THEIR BODIES TO THE FLAAAAMES!!"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:38 pm 

I agree with Acrobat on Burnt Offering. The titled track is somewhat cool, and dark...and yes that ''cast their bodies to the flames'' part is great. The rest on that album however ranges from ''somewhat listenable, but not valuable'' to ''absolutely mediocre that's just dull and very uninspired''.

Oracle/Prodigy has grown on me a lot these days. ''No Faith for the Liar'' is still my favourite track of that band though. That non stop riff attack is just furious.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 pm 

I actually don't mind about half of Something Wicked and most of Horror Show - but yeah, even so, there's a lot better bands, ya know.

Prodigy is another one better than IE! Good memories there of driving along the beach side during FL rainstorms to that album. Fuckin' awesome stuff.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:44 pm 

Man, fuck Iced Earth. How they have managed to assume (and maintain) their 'above average' position baffles me. I've heard every album and even seen them live a few times. Aside from the verses of "The Devil to Pay" from the Gettysburg trilogy, there is nothing remotely good about their music.

I cannot wait to flip them off and walk out after Sabaton next month.

Fun fact though...I have a drum head autographed by the entire band I caught at a concert in 2004 (TGB era). If anyone wants it, me$$age me. I'll send pics, etc.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am 

Sabaton vs Iced Earth: a battle of titanic mediocrity! :P

I don't think I've heard a Sabaton album since like 2007 or 2008 or whatever though.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:12 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Do any of you lot like the first Blessed Death album? I was just reading some reviews and I was surprised at how unpopular it seems to be on this site. It's kinda cool, I think. Raging US metal ala Omen or Griffin meets thrash.

Aside from being a little all over the place at times I think Kill Or Be Killed rules. Totally my kind of speed metal, fast and raw!

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Opus wrote:

I actually really enjoy that album. And I was into The Isle of Hydra and Crest of the Martyrs well before it came out. It did take a few listens to really grow on me, since it's a bit different, but I dig almost the entire album now. I've definitely seen plenty of folks not into it at all, though...

Great album, shame it gets panned by most.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434 ... 625  Next