NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:53 am 

Some good shit right here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:58 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I swear I'm gonna check out Spell soon. Jonpo metal!

Have you heard Hellfriends yet? It shattered all my expectations. Fortunes Told, the title track and The Microdome are a masterclass in evil, wild, complex heavy metal.

I dunno, Demon Bitch have yet to fully click with me. There's a lot I can appreciate, but they're a bit too...silly? Self-consciously silly, especially in the vocal department. But no doubt they can bring the riffs, so I'll probably "get" them eventually. I do like how they seem like they're desperate to get all the riffs out, like if they don't play AS MANY AS THEY CAN AS FAST AS THEY CAN they'll get backed up and explode. They remind me a lot of Sacred Oath, actually.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:03 pm 

The vocals actually remind me of Charlie Kelly from It's Always Sunny in Philly fronting a Mercyful Fate-esque project. That sounds disparaging but from me that's basically the highest compliment possible. Bandcamp is blocked here at work but you should see if you can listen to "The Microdome" on their page. It's not quite so rushed sounding (although we both agree that frantic feeling rules!) and totally enveloping with the atmosphere. They just do everything I love.

I haven't played Sacred Oath in a minute. The debut is a RIFF MONSTER and I love the super breathy vocals.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:04 pm 

I never got into Judas Priest the way I did Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath. The first album I loved from them was Painkiller (yeah yeah). Defenders of the Faith is pretty cool. Where should I go from there? I mean I've heard Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, Sad Wings of Destiny etc but I haven't given them enough attention.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:11 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I mean I've heard Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, Sad Wings of Destiny etc but I haven't given them enough attention.

What about giving them enough attention this time? :)

The more I listen to SWoD the more I'm impressed by its flow. Yeah, I know the tracklist isn't the same on all versions but the one that starts with ''Prelude'' and ends with ''Deceiver'' has the best album flow I've ever heard. Every track on there sounds just right where it belongs.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:57 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I never got into Judas Priest the way I did Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath. The first album I loved from them was Painkiller (yeah yeah). Defenders of the Faith is pretty cool. Where should I go from there? I mean I've heard Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, Sad Wings of Destiny etc but I haven't given them enough attention.

"Unleashed in the East" is like a better recorded version of many of the better tracks from their early years. It's really essential.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 pm 

colin040 wrote:
The more I listen to SWoD the more I'm impressed by its flow. Yeah, I know the tracklist isn't the same on all versions but the one that starts with ''Prelude'' and ends with ''Deceiver'' has the best album flow I've ever heard. Every track on there sounds just right where it belongs.

Care to list that out? The one I have starts with Victim.

Hit up Painkiller again.

Painkiller - insane, they blew their load right away. There's no other way to put it. The album is never like this one again. lol
Hell Patrol - boring
All Guns Blazing - boring
Leather Rebel - awesome
Metal Mayhem - almost rivals Painkiller, but I find the spoken "Here comes..." chorus to be kind of boring and lame after Rob shrieking everything else. Maybe some kind of darker/disembodied voice could have been cooler? Still a cool track.
Night Crawler - solid fun
Between the Hammer - solid fun
A Touch of Evil - I still hate it, could be the keyboards
One Shot at Glory - solid but kind of ends with a wimper (with this tracklist at least, think my CD is different than what I have here). It kind of just treks on what half the other songs were doing, just expanded a bit more with cooler solos and parts.

It's really not bad and maybe higher than the 70's% for me, since I feel that's what I'd fairly give the Helloween Keeper albums now and probably some other stuff. I'd certainly take Painkiller over a lot of Euro power thesedays. And for 1990 I love how they feel like they didn't give a fuck about what everyone else was doing. There's just a lot of moments where they almost step over this edge to create something utterly insane and more dynamic, but back peddle and mostly remain in the safe zone. Just imagine if Painkiller and Metal Mayhem were the main blueprints for the rest of the entire thing.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 pm 

I actually like Hell Patrol and All Guns Blazing quite a bit!

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:19 pm 

So I have a likely quite unhealthy addiction to bands like the following. And I kindly request you all to help me worsen it. Basically I'm looking for progressive metal in the original 80's form - versatile and often highly melancholic vocals, calculated guitar harmony and reasonably sturdy riffing, somewhat floaty songwriting, and so on and such but really, any kind of prog metal derived from the oddities of that period are welcome. Prog USPM is sorta what I'm getting at. I'm aware of Fates Warning, Queensryche, and Crimson Glory. I'm looking for more obscure stuff.

^Yes, I am aware of Sacred Blade.

You get the idea.

Last edited by Stillborn Machine on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I haven't played Sacred Oath in a minute. The debut is a RIFF MONSTER and I love the super breathy vocals.

There's really nothing that sounds remotely like A Crystal Vision, and I fucking love it! I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite song though. Maybe The Ferryman's Lair or the title track?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:09 pm 

Stillborn Machine, you might like Realm and Toxik (moreso the second album for what you're looking for).

You're kind of all over there though... like I could also maybe recommend Enchanter (Defenders of the Realm), Cauldron Born, and Arch era Fates Warning.

And Screamer - Target Earth.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:19 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Stillborn Machine, you might like Realm and Toxik (moreso the second album for what you're looking for).

You're kind of all over there though... like I could also maybe recommend Enchanter (Defenders of the Realm), Cauldron Born, and Arch era Fates Warning.

And Screamer - Target Earth.

I know all of these ones, particularly enjoy Enchanter, Fates Warning up to 1988, and Born of the Cauldron is my favourite USPM album.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:10 am 

Xeogred wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Although I don't own the album physically, I'm used to the following tracklist:

1. Prelude
2. Tyrant
3. Genocide
4. Epitaph
5. Island of Domination
6. Victim of Changes
7. The Ripper
8. Dreamer Deceiver
9. Deceiver

Someone mentioned Sacred Blade and so far I'm really fond of them. Space-y-out of this world stuff with unique, varied vocals and somewhat laid back yet to-the-point kind of riffing.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:58 am 

Xeogred wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Hit up Painkiller again.

Painkiller - insane, they blew their load right away. There's no other way to put it. The album is never like this one again. lol
Hell Patrol - boring
All Guns Blazing - boring
Leather Rebel - awesome
Metal Mayhem - almost rivals Painkiller, but I find the spoken "Here comes..." chorus to be kind of boring and lame after Rob shrieking everything else. Maybe some kind of darker/disembodied voice could have been cooler? Still a cool track.
Night Crawler - solid fun
Between the Hammer - solid fun
A Touch of Evil - I still hate it, could be the keyboards
One Shot at Glory - solid but kind of ends with a wimper (with this tracklist at least, think my CD is different than what I have here). It kind of just treks on what half the other songs were doing, just expanded a bit more with cooler solos and parts.

It's really not bad and maybe higher than the 70's% for me, since I feel that's what I'd fairly give the Helloween Keeper albums now and probably some other stuff. I'd certainly take Painkiller over a lot of Euro power thesedays. And for 1990 I love how they feel like they didn't give a fuck about what everyone else was doing. There's just a lot of moments where they almost step over this edge to create something utterly insane and more dynamic, but back peddle and mostly remain in the safe zone. Just imagine if Painkiller and Metal Mayhem were the main blueprints for the rest of the entire thing.

I love EVERY song on Painkiller... EXCEPT: TOUCH OF EVIL. That song is just boring as hell.

The best thing ever would be if they could have replaced it with Warlocks "Touch Of Evil" instead, because that song would fit so well into the Painkiller tracklist! Doro does the performance of her fucking life on this track, but hearing Rob Halford on this song would make me go fucking nuts

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:58 am 

Painkiller is god. I will not suffer the opinions of someone who incorrectly lists "Metal Meltdown" as "Metal Mayhem".

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:13 am 

Xeogred wrote:

If it's a CD just start playing it on Prelude and let it go until you've heard every song. It's so much better this way it's a joke. Obviously the order the songs were intended to be heard.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:55 am 

I'm way too used to starting Sad Wings with "Victim of Changes." I love that one as an opener, too - that long, slow, bluesy dirge.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:21 pm 

Hell Patrol and All Guns Blazing boring? What the fuck is this shit. I feel dirtier for having read that.

Touch of Evil is really good! YOU'RE POSSESSING MEEEEEEEE

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:31 pm 

I am looking for vocalists similar to Vasilis Georgiou (Sunburst) and Anton Darusso (Wings of Destiny).

Georgiou:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4C1x2QSxw

Darusso:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPcScwZc5E

I would also entertain suggestions of vocalists similar to Jarmo Paakkonen (ex-Excalion) and Matt Marinelli (Borealis).

Edit: I'm basically looking for vocalists that have strong voices and stay within their range. Mathias Blad from Falconer is another example of this.

Last edited by TrueDynamite on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:24 pm 

Sacred Blade is awesome but it's a rare case of a redone album being even better with the Othyworld release, but I do miss Salem. It's even way more "spacey" in comparison to the original Sacred Blade release, definitely check it out.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:04 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Sacred Blade is awesome but it's a rare case of a redone album being even better with the Othyworld release, but I do miss Salem. It's even way more "spacey" in comparison to the original Sacred Blade release, definitely check it out.

I love "Salem" for just how vicious it is (those falsettos) but in retrospect it would've been out of place on Beyond into the Night of Day. "Right Ascension" and the other new tracks make up for that thankfully.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:05 pm 

Stillborn Machine wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

I love "Salem" for just how vicious it is (those falsettos) but in retrospect it would've been out of place on Beyond into the Night of Day. "Right Ascension" and the other new tracks make up for that thankfully.

Haha yeah I can't deny it. "Salem" was straight up USPM which I would have loved more of.

The Othyrworld album has to be like 95% material or something for me. It's not always something I go to, but when I do it melts my brain. There is absolutely nothing else quite like it.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:29 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Stillborn Machine wrote:
Haha yeah I can't deny it. "Salem" was straight up USPM which I would have loved more of.

The Othyrworld album has to be like 95% material or something for me. It's not always something I go to, but when I do it melts my brain. There is absolutely nothing else quite like it.

For a while it was my favourite metal album and while it's fallen since, I wouldn't rate it anything lower than a 90%. I actually got to talk with Jeff Ulmer over Facebook before his passing, pretty chill dude.

mbp84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:44 am 

Looking at some of James Rivera career
That's some Power Metal Resume if you ask me
Other than slow 90-97 years the man seems to love his metal!
And I do too
Helstar
Vocals (1982-present)
1984 Burning Star Vocals (as "Bill Lionel")
1986 Remnants of War Vocals
1988 A Distant Thunder Vocals
1989 Nosferatu Vocals

Destiny's End
Vocals (1997-2001)
1998 Breathe Deep the Dark Vocals
2001 Transition Vocals

Seven Witches
Vocals (2002-2005, 2007-2011)
2003 Passage to the Other Side Vocals
2004 Year of the Witch Vocals
2011 Call upon the Wicked Vocals

Distant Thunder
Vocals (2003-present)
2004 Welcome the End Vocals

Vicious Rumors
Vocals (2005-2007)
2006 Warball Vocals

Helstar
Vocals (1982-present)
2007 Sins of the Past Vocals
2008 The King of Hell Vocals
2010 Glory of Chaos Vocals
2014 This Wicked Nest Vocals

Malice
Vocals (2010-present)
2012 New Breed of Godz Vocals

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:45 pm 

Stillborn Machine wrote:
So I have a likely quite unhealthy addiction to bands like the following. And I kindly request you all to help me worsen it. Basically I'm looking for progressive metal in the original 80's form - versatile and often highly melancholic vocals, calculated guitar harmony and reasonably sturdy riffing, somewhat floaty songwriting, and so on and such but really, any kind of prog metal derived from the oddities of that period are welcome. Prog USPM is sorta what I'm getting at. I'm aware of Fates Warning, Queensryche, and Crimson Glory. I'm looking for more obscure stuff.

^Yes, I am aware of Sacred Blade.

You get the idea.

Maybe try King's Ransom if you haven't heard of them.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:21 pm 

I know them too.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:33 pm 

I mean if you're already digging this deep you've basically already hit bottom. You could check out some really obscure stuff like Optimus Prime, Chozzen Phate, Solar Eagle, Myrmidion Creed, and Spectral Incursion I guess, but past a certain point you've already heard basically all the good stuff.

Zion's Abyss, Dead Calm, Taramis, Oliver Magnum, Matthias Steele, New Religion, and Drive are a few others that sorta fit but which you may or may not already know.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:43 pm 

@Stillborn Machine, you posted a lot of stuff I've never heard of so I don't know how many of these will be unknown to you, but:

Arrakis (only a few songs known unfortunately, a bit of a pomp-metal thing with all the keys and stuff)
Avant Garde (very Fates Warning influenced)
Inferno (kind of light prog/power/tech-thrash like Osiris)
Lord Bane (kinda obvious but just in case)
Mephisto (not exactly prog, but definitely some Fates Warning influence, longer songs, and I just like how soft/cute the performance is)
Notre Dame (quite a bit of keyboard and balladic stuff I don't really like, but the metal parts might be what you're looking for)
Secrecy (also a bit better known, but some of the very best melodies in all of metal for me)

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:40 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
@Stillborn Machine, you posted a lot of stuff I've never heard of so I don't know how many of these will be unknown to you, but:

Arrakis (only a few songs known unfortunately, a bit of a pomp-metal thing with all the keys and stuff)
Avant Garde (very Fates Warning influenced)
Inferno (kind of light prog/power/tech-thrash like Osiris)
Lord Bane (kinda obvious but just in case)
Mephisto (not exactly prog, but definitely some Fates Warning influence, longer songs, and I just like how soft/cute the performance is)
Notre Dame (quite a bit of keyboard and balladic stuff I don't really like, but the metal parts might be what you're looking for)
Secrecy (also a bit better known, but some of the very best melodies in all of metal for me)

Aware of Lord Bane, Inferno, Mephisto, and Secrecy, will check out the others. Thanks.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:41 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I mean if you're already digging this deep you've basically already hit bottom. You could check out some really obscure stuff like Optimus Prime, Chozzen Phate, Solar Eagle, Myrmidion Creed, and Spectral Incursion I guess, but past a certain point you've already heard basically all the good stuff.

Zion's Abyss, Dead Calm, Taramis, Oliver Magnum, Matthias Steele, New Religion, and Drive are a few others that sorta fit but which you may or may not already know.

The ones in the first paragraph along with New Religion, Dead Calm, and Drive I'm unfamiliar with. I'll find what I can later. Thanks.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:56 am 

So the new Hammers of Misfortune is actually really, really good. They lost me for a good while there after Scalzi left and all, but this new one sounds like it'd fit right after The Locust Years (and is generally heavier than that, besides). Shout out to Metantoine for the review, otherwise I might have left it on the back burner for a bit. I've gotta check out the recent Vhol album now after this.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:08 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
So the new Hammers of Misfortune is actually really, really good. They lost me for a good while there after Scalzi left and all, but this new one sounds like it'd fit right after The Locust Years (and is generally heavier than that, besides). Shout out to Metantoine for the review, otherwise I might have left it on the back burner for a bit. I've gotta check out the recent Vhol album now after this.

Thanks for the shout out :) I've only heard the new Vhol 1 or 2 times but it's even more varied and weird, I should check it out again myself. Weird how I thought Dead Revolution was so much better than Digital Resistance.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:43 pm 

Du Rocka Rollas, kan du hjälpa mej med en grej?
I saw a live video on youtube with a power metal band from Gävle, but I forgot the name. They were somehow related to you. The singer/guitarist was a somewhat chubby bearded dude. They are not on the archives (I think). Any bells ringing?

And while I'm at it, have you ever considered working with Rob Lundgren? He's an amazing singer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7YdubSBshA

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:49 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
I am looking for vocalists similar to Vasilis Georgiou (Sunburst) and Anton Darusso (Wings of Destiny).

Georgiou:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4C1x2QSxw

Darusso:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPcScwZc5E

I would also entertain suggestions of vocalists similar to Jarmo Paakkonen (ex-Excalion) and Matt Marinelli (Borealis).

Edit: I'm basically looking for vocalists that have strong voices and stay within their range. Mathias Blad from Falconer is another example of this.

Try listening to Christer Andresen (Keldian - Journey of Souls), Mikael Holst (Timeless Miracle - Into the Enchanted Chamber), Gabor Nagy (Wisdom - Judas), Lars Säfsund (Enbound - And She Says Gold), Eizo Sakamoto (Anthem - Black Empire), Heri Joensen (Týr - The Lay of Thrym), Attila Dorn (Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints), Daniele Scavoni (Spellblast - Nineteen).

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:04 pm 

Thanks for the response. I am familiar with most of those, but I've only listened to one song by Enbound and I've never heard of Anthem.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:12 pm 

Been working my way through Paragon's discography these past few days. Their first 3 albums didn't really do much of anything for me, but holy crap, Steelbound and especially Law of the Blade fucking kill.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 pm 

Never found them terribly good until some of their later albums; Revenge, Forgotten Prophecies, Force of Destruction, and Hell Beyond Hell.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:59 pm 

Have you heard Law of the Blade? It's their best imo.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Have you heard Law of the Blade? It's their best imo.

Law of the Blade was amazing from start to finish. :V

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:01 am 

Don't remember which probably isn't a good sign for it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528 ... 625  Next