Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I really dig Visigoth too. I feel like I've been too harsh on the new wave of trad metal bands, mostly because of my disdain for White Wizzard and Holy Grail. Any recs for what I should check next? Figure I'll try Speedwolf.

Monument. They do feature some ex-White Wizzard members, and I like both WW and HG, so maybe I'm not the best judge, but they are insanely good. I can't believe how little recognition they have gotten compared to even bands like Ambush and Stallion (who are also great).

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I really dig Visigoth too. I feel like I've been too harsh on the new wave of trad metal bands, mostly because of my disdain for White Wizzard and Holy Grail. Any recs for what I should check next? Figure I'll try Speedwolf.

Visigoth is kick ass. I can't wait to hear a proper album by them. As for more here goes. Hope you like....

Screamer from Sweden. Kick ass trad metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPiqFA38OdQ

Ambush, another Swedish band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qY6vxmxuIk

And yet another band of Swedes, Enforcer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUJkg2SiZA

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll have more to offer later.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:19 am 

Speedwolf kills; sounds like Motorhead mixed with some early speed metal-era Rage. Great brass-knuckled, dirty rock n' rollin' speed metal.

Monument and Screamer weren't bad, but they were both a bit too polished and derivative to really be exciting. They have the right idea, but they seem to be thinking too small and not doing much with the style. Unlike Visigoth and other newer bands like Atlantean Kodex, Crystal Viper on the debut and Battle Beast's first one (and yes I know various people here will shit on one or all of these bands I'm mentioning now, but they're what I consider great new trad metal bands), they seem to be simply imitating the 80s without really finding their own sound yet.

I was never a big Enforcer fan, but that song sounded pretty cool. They're still not as good as Wolf's The Black Flame, but they seem to be slowly getting there - maybe in another album or two they'll finally make something I can actually enjoy unabashedly rather than just saying 'it's alright.' This Ambush track is also solid. Not amazing and again, it isn't doing anything all that exciting, but it's pretty OK. I like the more organic sounding production and the old school vocals on there. Much better than the polished and squeaky clean production of some bands.

I came across this band, Starblind, the other day and I like it - while they aren't blowing me away yet, the Maidenish bass lines and riffs combined with quite good vocals and apparent Lovecraftian/mystical themes is fucking cool.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:29 am 

Starblind is pretty good but the vocals are just rubbing me the wrong way. He sounds like he's struggling and he's terribly flat in places. Riffing is badass though.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:34 am 

It could be a bit catchier, but it reminds me of Sacred Oath or something, that weird old US style vocals - also Hanker and Antiquus in a way, which are also great post-80s trad metal bands. Starblind isn't as good as those bands but I hear a lot of potential.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:59 am 

rawsewage wrote:
Yeah that first album by them was pretty awesome. The only problem was some weak production but that's understandable since it was an Indy release. I had no clue they even had a second album.

I assume you're talking about ANTITHESIS. Yeah, I prefer their first album too but the second was really good as well.
I can't get into the third at all. To me, it is not as distinct. I wish they had kept their initial lineup and continued to regularly release stuff because I think eventually the scene would've moved in their direction the same way NEVERMORE was able to build its recognition and fan base over several releases.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:16 pm 

Speedwolf is essential, amazing stuff, and fantastic live (opened for Manilla Road). I have a shirt of theirs I wear proudly.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:15 am 

Where should I start with X Japan? And what bands can they get compared to?

EDIT: Can't get enough of Riot's Fire Down Under at the moment. Are there any albums similar to this?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:53 pm 

^ On X Japan, I started with Dahlia and worked my way backwards. That album has a bunch of ballads but it's a cleaner style than their less polished, faster material from the late '80s / early '90s.

Once you get used to the singer's vocals, go for Art of Life. Just know that the song has (imo) one of the stupidest piano sections (read: cacophony) in any song I've ever heard.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:51 am 

Hey all! I'm looking for a band that was discussed in a thread some months ago. I remember the band playing heavy/speed metal and having a raw production.. They had an album up on bandcamp at the time, IIRC. I also seem to recall their name being short with like 5-7 letters, but I'm not sure. It's pretty vague, anyone?
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:11 pm 

Midnight?

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:37 pm 

Nope, not Midnight.. Pretty sure they were english or American, the vocalist has a high pitched voice most of the time.. thats all I got..

Last.fm

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:50 pm 

Ambush maybe?

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:12 pm 

No, not Ambush either..

Last.fm

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:46 pm 

speedtrap?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:46 pm 

Are you guys oblivious of the most Power Metal of all Power Metal bands, Twilight Force?
They are like a flawless Rhapsody, with a vocalist that gives Daniel Heiman a run for his money (well, almost).
Debut album released June 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg73qXLFTHE
Check out the vocals from 1:30.

Last edited by Opus on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:17 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Nope, not Midnight.. Pretty sure they were english or American, the vocalist has a high pitched voice most of the time.. thats all I got..

Stallion.

That Twilight Force has a KILLER cover. I wish they weren't terrible. I just assume they're really really bad based on everything you said.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:45 pm 

I'm aware of Twilight Force. Hard to miss that cover in my Amazon recommendations. Wasn't as blown away by it as much as much as other recentish bands like say, Vexillum, however. Also not so sure about the addage of trying to "bring back the golden age of power metal" so much, since from where I stand things seem to still be going as strong as ever, even if a few of the "old guard" like Sonata Arctica and Freedom Call might have lost their way here and there (or maybe not). Power metal just seems to be really reliable, so I don't really feel their need for a conscious "resurgence" as such.

Still, it does sound pretty good to me, nothing wrong there, and if there is then it's all exactly along the lines of normal europower clichés (heh), and that album art definitely makes a persuasive argument. They do fit right alongside other bands like Insania and Pathfinder.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:46 pm 

speaking of Daniel Heiman, I asked some people for bands like Lost Horizon and this guy was like "there are hundreds of bands like Lost Horizon" and went on to recommend Dragonland and Fairyland.

:durr:

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm 

Opus wrote:
Are you guys oblivious of the most Power Metal of all Power Metal bands, Twilight Force?
They are like a flawless Rhapsody, with a vocalist that gives Daniel Heiman a run for his money (well, almost).
Debut album released June 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg73qXLFTHE
Check out the vocals from 1:30.

Love this album so much. My favourite power metal album of the year so far. Wish it was a bit longer though. Take away the crappy spoken word interludes and it's only seven songs long. It's a minor complaint though. Quality over quantity I suppose.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:07 pm 

Fail haha. From what I've searched there aren't similar bands to LH.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 pm 

That Twilight Force isn't all that good. Maybe in another few albums they'll find a more unique style and personality of their own. I like the enthusiasm and the vocals and guitar/key combo have potential, but I was bored halfway into that song - not a good sign.

Plus the cover art sucks and the title is lame; Tales of the Ancient Prophecies? That's one step away from being lame self parody like Gloryhammer. I know bands used to do this all the time, but c'mon, put a LITTLE thought and imagination into it...

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:45 pm 

C'mon Empyreal, you didn't even like Pathfinder. Where's your sense of power metal adventure. :P

As for Lost Horizon and Daniel Heiman, you guys better know of Crystal Eyes, since they're cool and he was in that. Not exactly like Lost Horizon of course though no, but still.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:12 pm 

I like Crystal Eyes, the Chained album was one of my most listened to the year it came out. Ooo, there's a new one!

Pathfinder is gloriously fun btw :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
C'mon Empyreal, you didn't even like Pathfinder. Where's your sense of power metal adventure. :P

Clearly I'm in need of a long spiritual journey to fix this.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 pm 

Twilight Force sounds amazing. Thanks for bringing that up, as I'd never heard of them. I also love the fact that the album is only 36 minutes. I really don't like long albums, and power metal is definitely an offender of constant 50-65 minute albums. I'm gonna have to track this record down.

I like the Pathfinder comparison too.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 pm 

Nice fresh album, nothing original but love the energy of this newcomers.

edit: why did i have to go and check the band profile....

Spoiler: show

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 pm 

A level 75 Elf ninja/rogue, watch out!

This is totally cheesy power metal but it's quite well done. And wtf, this cover art rules, it has a dragon on it! Not serious enough for Empy.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
This is totally cheesy power metal but it's quite well done.

Twilight Force is Whiz on the cheese scale, I like cave aged Gruyère.

Woodgod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Woodgod wrote:
Does anyone know of any doomy-but-not-quite-doom trad. metal bands like Cirith Ungol and Pagan Altar? I'm not looking for bands like Witchfinder General as much as I like them.

Maybe the first two Revelation albums... they remind me a bit of trouble and cirith ungol... also, Mortalicum's faster material sounds similar to Pagan Altar, to me at least.

Cool, thanks. I'm assuming you mean the American Revelation listed as Progressive/Doom Metal here.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 pm 

Based off the song that was posted, I'm not liking Twilight Force much, either. Retro bands have never been my thing, and teh_Foxx0rz brings up a really good point. I don't think the 90s style of power metal needs a reboot. At least, not the way Twilight Force is doing it. They seem lacking in inspiration and more focused on regurgitation, if you get my point. They don't sound bad, just dry and predictable. The little sweep picking sections littered throughout the song are kinda annoying, too. Maybe I'll change my mind after I hear more.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 pm 

Btw, new Falconer is really good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:10 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Based off the song that was posted, I'm not liking Twilight Force much, either. Retro bands have never been my thing, and teh_Foxx0rz brings up a really good point. I don't think the 90s style of power metal needs a reboot. At least, not the way Twilight Force is doing it. They seem lacking in inspiration and more focused on regurgitation, if you get my point. They don't sound bad, just dry and predictable. The little sweep picking sections littered throughout the song are kinda annoying, too. Maybe I'll change my mind after I hear more.

Yup, it's the power metal equivalent to the weaker new trad bands I was talking about before - lots of imitation but not much beyond that yet. But I do hate to be hard on young bands that don't exactly suck, so hopefully they get better later.

I really need to hear the new Falconer. I haven't heard any of their stuff since Northwind.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:25 pm 

[quote="Z0MBIE"]Hey all! I'm looking for a band that was discussed in a thread some months ago. I remember the band playing heavy/speed metal and having a raw production.. They had an album up on bandcamp at the time, IIRC. I also seem to recall their name being short with like 5-7 letters, but I'm not sure. It's pretty vague, anyone?[/quote

Ranger?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:54 am 

The past few Falconer have been good but underwhelming imo. Solidly above average but not enough for me to really want to listen to. Some of the riffs and choruses on this new one seem to get at the earlier level of quality tho.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:08 am 

Yeah 'Among Beggars and Thieves' and 'Armod' weren't too good, but the newest is a huge return to form, I'd put it on a level with the first two albums.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:34 pm 

What do you guys think is the best kamelot album besides TBH?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 pm 

Epica, easily. I significantly prefer it over The Black Halo, myself. Probably my favorite europower album.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:33 pm 

Epica is awesome, but I actually like Silverthorn the best after TBH. That album is just magnificently done. Shame I haven't really been in a Kamelot-y mood in a while now though.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:35 pm 

Aydross wrote:
What do you guys think is the best kamelot album besides TBH?

I actually happen to like The Fourth Legacy more than any of them. Maybe it's because it was my first exposure to the band but it remains my favorite.

Like your reviews?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448 ... 624  Next