Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Looks very far apart from the last one, like a punk or old rap album cover. I wonder if it's another concept album? It may be the second album I'm forced to buy from itunes.

You can buy the CD direct from the band.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:45 pm 

I really need to just stop downloading everything that sounds nifty. As soon as I finish Accept, what do I go and do? Download a bunch of stuff from Overkill, Lonewolf, and Metal Church.

:durr:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 am 

Just now discovered Hibria's Defying the Rules, and I'm so overloaded with metal I think I'll piss mercury and shit lead for a week or so. Really, this thing along with Messiah's Kiss first and third albums is undoubtedly the most (again) blatantly, unapologetically, proudly, amazingly MOTHERFUCKING METAL stuff I heard as of late. I can't even begin to put into words how unfair it is that a band like Hibria (or Messiah's Kiss, while we're at it) is ignored over drivel such as Hammerfall. Bah, maybe I'm just being childish, although that doesn't make it any less absurd in my eyes.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:35 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just now discovered Hibria's Defying the Rules, and I'm so overloaded with metal I think I'll piss mercury and shit lead for a week or so.

Legendary.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:37 am 

Yo blokes, what's up?

Anyway, I can't stop listening to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58-r2wOUec0

By the way, It's Well of Souls, not Well of Soul.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:45 am 

Hearing that right after some Hibria talk is pretty hilarious if you ask me, hah. Fair comparison there.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56 am 

Anyone here listen to the sledge leather cd yet? I can't find no sound clips and was just wondering if it sounded any good.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 am 

The new Lonewolf is definitely doing something for me. Mmmmm Running Wild worship.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Yo blokes, what's up?

Anyway, I can't stop listening to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58-r2wOUec0

By the way, It's Well of Souls, not Well of Soul.

That song is terrific. Guess I should check the album out. The artwork is laughable though :lol:

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:18 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
The new Lonewolf is definitely doing something for me. Mmmmm Running Wild worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pea9QNDB0ts
:headbang:
Not the strongest chorus they have written, but the song is overall quite good.
And the solos seem to have become much better than last album. They had quite poor solos but this solo is fucking awesome.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:24 pm 

Of course you would like them :P

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:52 pm 

Holy shit this is awesome. :np:

The vocalist is intense!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:09 am 

Yeah I'm not really convinced, that just sounds like watered-down Running Wild with a second-rate Chris Boldenthal on vocals. There's better RW worship out there.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:19 am 

I listened to about half the song and the vocals turned me off somewhat. I have to agree with failsafeman on this one.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:04 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah I'm not really convinced, that just sounds like watered-down Running Wild with a second-rate Chris Boldenthal on vocals. There's better RW worship out there.

It's definitely not amazing, but I thought fairly solid. The rest of the album is actually a bit different and less blatantly RW. But what better RW worship are you talking about? I might want to hear it.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:24 pm 

If a band is going to worship another band they need to have some material that is in the same league or have something special to distinguish them or I will just listen to the original band every time.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:43 pm 

Just want to slip something in, people; how come nobody told me before how badass Steel Prophet's debut is? Some of the most soaring, blazing and grinding USPM is to be found in it, yet it's pretty much completely unknown. Plus, I must point out how great of a singer Rick Mythiasin is, or at least he gives an astounding performance in The Goddess Principle. He even reminds me of John Arch at times.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:31 pm 

Check out the "Inner Ascendance" demo. Much better than the debut. Agreed on Mythiasin though, his vocals are absolutely fantastic.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:47 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Check out the "Inner Ascendance" demo. Much better than the debut.

If this is true, then I will most likely soil myself when listening to it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:48 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Check out the "Inner Ascendance" demo. Much better than the debut.

If this is true, then I will most likely soil myself when listening to it.

Please don't...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:59 pm 

Don't worry 'toine, it was just a figure of speech! :lol:

But yeah, I can barely fathom how a simple demo could be better than the full length, especially one such as The Goddess Principle. And while we're on the topic of Steel Prophet, what other pieces of their discography would you guys recommend to someone new to the band? Cause I certainly have a crave for more SP right now.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 pm 

Lookin' for some recomendations:

Any prog/power that gives off a vibe kinda like Angra I should be aware of?

If not available, I'd like to hear some power metal, but I'm looking for something extremely top notch, every single bandmember has to be amazing, and it needs to be slightly prog, I don't want a song with three riffs repeated a thousand times.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:36 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
But yeah, I can barely fathom how a simple demo could be better than the full length...

Never say that again. lol

Steel Prophet
Cyperus
Stormbringer
Tramontane (demo's vs the EP)
etc

Totally random names off the top of my head, but yeah it happens. Some of Steel Prophet's stuff is good, some great tracks throughout their albums but they're never that consistent. Comparing that stuff to their early demo's though... it's like a bigger change than Arch Warning to the Alder stuff. "Inner Ascendance" is up there with early Fates Warning, Enchanter, and Cauldron Born to me.

For their new stuff, I think "Unseen" marked the point when it was just straight up boring and Rick stopped trying or something.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:23 am 

Nahsil wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

It's definitely not amazing, but I thought fairly solid. The rest of the album is actually a bit different and less blatantly RW. But what better RW worship are you talking about? I might want to hear it.

Probably stuff you've heard of before. Cast Iron, Rocka Rollas, X-Wild. I like Running Wild, but honestly they're not one of my favorites, and once you start getting into second-rate worship I just lose interest.

Xlxlx wrote:
Just want to slip something in, people; how come nobody told me before how badass Steel Prophet's debut is?

Nobody told you because it's fucking boring. Post-demo Steel Prophet is all disposable.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:57 am 

Speaking of Rocka Rollas, when is your next album coming out dude? I remember reading that you have an absurd amount of material lined up.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:55 am 

I ran across a band called Hyborian Steel on YT the other day. They're pretty obviously influenced by Manilla Road and Brocas Helm, but I'd say they're a bit on the speedier side with more muscular-sounding (although far worse) vocals. Their second album, Blood, Steel and Glory, is worth a shot if anyone is looking for USPM revival stuff with Howard-themed lyrics.

- John Calvin.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:07 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Speaking of Rocka Rollas, when is your next album coming out dude? I remember reading that you have an absurd amount of material lined up.

Sometime in 2012. The album is basically finished, but I actually tuned the guitar WRONG and didn't notice until like months later. I will re-record the whole album.Vocals wasn't recorded anyway, so it's okay. The songs are a fucking blast to play guitar on! This album is probably hundred times better than the debut!

Now I have another guitarist to work with as well, he comes up with some pretty cool stuff.
I also have bass player now, but he will most probably just be a live/studio member and not write much. But I welcome any input he can come with!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:52 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Just want to slip something in, people; how come nobody told me before how badass Steel Prophet's debut is?

Nobody told you because it's fucking boring. Post-demo Steel Prophet is all disposable.

Okay, seems like I will have to disagree there, as I find it to be completely top notch stuff. At least for me, it just has everything USPM needs; energy by the metric fuckton, riffs aplenty and an outstanding singer.
Xeogred wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
But yeah, I can barely fathom how a simple demo could be better than the full length...

Never say that again.

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, actually; I have no problem with EP's, but I don't see the point in listening to demos. I'll still try the SP demo I was suggested though.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 am 

Well, this is...interesting.

It's a group called In Legend who play heavy metal with a piano instead of a guitar.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:58 am 

Yeah, post-demo Steel Prophet is lame. Rick Mythiasin absolutely rules in every imaginable way, but he alone can't save the perpetually bland songwriting and poor riffs. Inner Ascendance rules, but that's about it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 pm 

Speaking of which, wasn't Agent Steel going to release a new album with Mythiasin on vocals? I remember listening to a new song by them ("Tomb of Ra" I think was it's name) some time ago, but then no more updates came out on the band's situation.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Speaking of which, wasn't Agent Steel going to release a new album with Mythiasin on vocals? I remember listening to a new song by them ("Tomb of Ra" I think was it's name) some time ago, but then no more updates came out on the band's situation.

According to Rick via. Facebook, they're about to finish vocal tracking for the album, so yeah it's definitely coming out. I'm stoked, it'll be great to hear Mythiasin in a good band again, and his voice seems to be in fine shape.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:10 pm 

Awesome. I just hope the AS crew make full use of Mythiasin's skills, as he's quite the versatile singer, yet such a thing wasn't apparent in Tomb of Ra. I mean damn, if you got a guy who can wail like bloody John Arch, then make profit out of it!

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:15 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Awesome. I just hope the AS crew make full use of Mythiasin's skills, as he's quite the versatile singer, yet such a thing wasn't apparent in Tomb of Ra. I mean damn, if you got a guy who can wail like bloody John Arch, then make profit out of it!

Yeah, if there was one problem with Tomb of Ra it's that Mythiasin didn't sound so much like himself - he has a very unique tone and he seemed to be suppressing it a bit in favor of aggression. I'm find with that on a few tracks, as it worked for the song at hand, but I'd be disappointed if it were like that for the whole album.

Sickfuck999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 pm 

Anyone knows of something similar to Tokyo Blade - Night of the Blade album? That has to be one of the catchiest NWOBHM albums I've heard. Thanks in advance.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Yeah, if there was one problem with Tomb of Ra it's that Mythiasin didn't sound so much like himself - he has a very unique tone and he seemed to be suppressing it a bit in favor of aggression. I'm find with that on a few tracks, as it worked for the song at hand, but I'd be disappointed if it were like that for the whole album.

And also, even if Tomb of Ra was pretty cool, I hope the album's average pace is faster than that. If there's something I like about Agent Steel, is how they sound very coherent yet play at the speed of light, so keeping that formula would be for the better I think.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:32 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
And also, even if Tomb of Ra was pretty cool, I hope the album's average pace is faster than that. If there's something I like about Agent Steel, is how they sound very coherent yet play at the speed of light, so keeping that formula would be for the better I think.

I can guarantee there'll be at least a few fast tracks, because before the whole Cyriis debacle they had a preview video with a few riffs/leads/etc, and there were some glorious speed metal ones there - there were bits of Tomb of Ra there, too, so I'm fairly sure it's all material that will be used. A pity the video was taken down.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, actually; I have no problem with EP's, but I don't see the point in listening to demos. I'll still try the SP demo I was suggested though.

Hopefully it changes your outlook on that, or you're missing out.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:50 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Hopefully it changes your outlook on that, or you're missing out.

Well, after listening to Inner Ascendance in it's entirety a few times, I can officially say that now I'll be more on the search for demos. Also, I gotta say that IA is unnusually well produced for a demo.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:59 pm 

sometimes I feel like saying that heavy metal is cheesy is redundant and missing the point. I mean, sometimes it goes overboard, but a lot of times it's part of the appeal, and I wouldn't call it cheesy as much as larger-than-life. Which is probably cheesy to a lot of people, but those are the people missing the point!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319 ... 624  Next